A-spec, Expert Level Racing Car Challenge: Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps

• Thread starter JogoAsobi
  • 184 comments
This race is painful with the crazy and aggressive AIs. I experienced all these and more!!!

1. If they are behind me at the finish line, they try to rear end me several times at turn 1 and most of the times they are out of the track. It seems like they don't even brake, just straight hit to me or the wall lol.

2. Also on some straight, when i draft them, they suddenly brake for no reason, and it leads to 2 scenarios: I brake, they accelerate or I didn't brake soon enough and get the stupidly annoying 3 or 5 seconds penalties.

3. If I try to pass them either inside the corner or outside with more speed, they slam into my car sideway to force me into the grass. This is the most irritating and ruin some of my good laps.

I finally gold it with 2:09.xxx average time per lap. What is your lap time?

Won it with a tuned TS030.

The AI is so dumb, but also gets in the way far too much and when I can't avoid them I get a collision penalty or ramming penalty of 5 seconds, yet when they brake check me on the end of the main straight they just keep on going as if nothing happened at all - no penalty for them.

I also noticed some other weird behavior - cars just almost stopping for no reason at all as if they had been given a penalty. Also lots of terrible driving - excursions into the grass, missed braking points and quite aggressive defending and that's the AI as well, it felt like I was in an online race in a public lobby.

I finally gold it with 2:09.xxx average time per lap. What is your lap time?

I can't remember what I got with the TS030 but I've used the Bentley Speed 8 with Praiano's tune more than 20 times and my average laptime is about 2:02. I did see a 1:58 a couple times, but usually they're between 2:00 and 2:03. But I've been doing it a lot and the times have slowly dropped.

I didn't think it was possible to win with 2:09's so well done, your lineup must not have included the rabbits - the Mercedes Sauber C9 or the Pescarolo Hybride.

Thanks for sharing. I used the R8 Audi Race Car 01. In the line up, I did not see Suuber C9 but I believe there were 2 cars with name "Pescarolo" (not remember exactly). I think the AIs is adapting to the player's style.

If i intentionally hang around the with the last 2 cars for the first lap (staying at 10th - 12th position), the leader definitely slow down. The spread of the cars have more gap so it is easy for me to start chasing starting the 2nd lap and so forth.

If I go very fast in the first lap, I usually see a bunch of cars line up together side by side and the leader is usually far way ahead and hard to chase.

If I got the lead before the last lap, the leader is super aggressive running right behind me and usually pass me before the finish line and I will end up with Silver.This seems like some kind of adaptive algorithm made by PD for this particular event.

I will try this again with the TS030 or Bently Speed 8. I think you are very fast still with 2:02 average in this map considering all these crazy mofo AIs doing all the blocking, slamming, crashing, rear ending etc.

I can't remember what I got with the TS030 but I've used the Bentley Speed 8 with Praiano's tune more than 20 times and my average laptime is about 2:02. I did see a 1:58 a couple times, but usually they're between 2:00 and 2:03. But I've been doing it a lot and the times have slowly dropped.

I didn't think it was possible to win with 2:09's so well done, your lineup must not have included the rabbits - the Mercedes Sauber C9 or the Pescarolo Hybride.

My average lap time with the stock Sauber C9 ’89 and for the stock Audi R8 Race Car ’01 was 2:04. No aids and no turbo. I would recommend going like a bat out of hell for all 5 laps to win this race! One’s you have the lead in the race go even faster if you can or you will be rear ended and taken out.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I used the R8 Audi Race Car 01. In the line up, I did not see Suuber C9 but I believe there were 2 cars with name "Pescarolo" (not remember exactly). I think the AIs is adapting to the player's style.

If i intentionally hang around the with the last 2 cars for the first lap (staying at 10th - 12th position), the leader definitely slow down. The spread of the cars have more gap so it is easy for me to start chasing starting the 2nd lap and so forth.

If I go very fast in the first lap, I usually see a bunch of cars line up together side by side and the leader is usually far way ahead and hard to chase.

If I got the lead before the last lap, the leader is super aggressive running right behind me and usually pass me before the finish line and I will end up with Silver.This seems like some kind of adaptive algorithm made by PD for this particular event.

I will try this again with the TS030 or Bently Speed 8. I think you are very fast still with 2:02 average in this map considering all these crazy mofo AIs doing all the blocking, slamming, crashing, rear ending etc.

Thanks, it's just from lots of practice and doing the race so many times.

I think you're definitely right about the AI - they're completely different to the AI offline on a similar event. They don't slow down for you if you cannot catch up in time for a start and they're a lot more aggressive too, which suggests they're a bit more aware, which they are. They sometimes slow down for me if I have spun or got a penalty for cutting instead of just ramming into the back of me.

So overall a clear improvement in the AI - they don't just roll over and let you win - so I'm pleased about and hope they continue to tweak it to make it even better than it is.

Forget winning, proceed to have some fun. :D

McLaren F1 GTR (BMW) is a very capable car, speed and grip are almost as good as LMP cars.

Zonda R is very powerful and fast in the straight, but slippery in corners. I can't win with it but it's an exciting drive. Similar with Gillette Vertigo.

Put Praianos tune on your Vertigo & boost power to bump up your PP when you've tuned it. Try it then?

With the Peugeot 908 HDI FAP cockpit view.

is this a screwup by PDI? we drive right in France (like in the USA, driving wheel on the left side).
I've noticed some JPN cars have left side wheel (should be opposite), forgot which ones, and I think my R18 (a German car, so wheel should be on left) is also off.

____

So far easy wins with the Peugeot 905, Audi R18 15th Anniversary. Will give the 2J a few tries to get back some of the 4.5Mil spent on it for the seasonal (top 200 as of now, might do better with some more setup and/or laps), wouldn't surprise me if I beat my 2mn03 personal best lap in this event with the 1970's hoover/dryer!
I failed miserably with the Toyota 7, can't keep that thing on track...

Who else hates the 30sec delay before you can race? if it wasn't there that event would be my favorite grinding/LMP setting up seasonal. Loved the crazy IA (except the time the Pescarolo rammed me in last chicane, getting me penalized!).

1:58 wow! do you consider yourself good/above average? my best lap is a 2:03 with the 905 lol
Wheel? (I'm on DS3)

Last edited:
is this a screwup by PDI? we drive right in France (like in the USA, driving wheel on the left side).
I've noticed some JPN cars have left side wheel (should be opposite), forgot which ones, and I think my R18 (a German car, so wheel should be on left) is also off.

____

So far easy wins with the Peugeot 905, Audi R18 15th Anniversary. Will give the 2J a few tries to get back some of the 4.5Mil spent on it for the seasonal (top 200 as of now, might do better with some more setup and/or laps), wouldn't surprise me if I beat my 2mn03 personal best lap in this event with the 1970's hoover/dryer!
I failed miserably with the Toyota 7, can't keep that thing on track...

Who else hates the 30sec delay before you can race? if it wasn't there that event would be my favorite grinding/LMP setting up seasonal. Loved the crazy IA (except the time the Pescarolo rammed me in last chicane, getting me penalized!).

1:58 wow! do you consider yourself good/above average? my best lap is a 2:03 with the 905 lol
Wheel? (I'm on DS3)

I agree with the steering wheel location as you have noted. Yes, the 30 second delay drives me bonkers as there is no need for that. I have actually started to fall asleep waiting for the race to start only to be awaken up by the roar of the engines. I like the way that the AI cars are working now as opposed to GT5 as they are more aggressive, active and more realistic in my humble opinion. They have rammed me lot’s so I when I pass them just before a corner I prepare myself by positioning my hands on the steering wheel so I am ready for my counter steering and counter ramming back at the AI so they don’t take me out that way I can keep the car under control no matter what they do.

The best gauge of a driver abilities is to have consistent laps over the course of the race not one fast lap. Anybody can do one fast lap but if they are not consistent overall you have no real data to work with as consistency in lap times is the key to winning any race. In GT6 they even have a trophy for that…LOL.

I agree with the steering wheel location as you have noted.
so that is a mistake then? how would they model the cockpit (after the real thing, I presume) yet get this wrong?
I have to remember to look at onboard views of the real thing.

Yes, the 30 second delay drives me bonkers as there is no need for that. I have actually started to fall asleep waiting for the race to start only to be awaken up by the roar of the engines
I know, right? I hate that you can't skip it with a simple button push! there are tracks where the delays are as sleep-inducing / infuriating (Matterhorn or that other mountain track)...

The best gauge of a driver abilities is to have consistent laps over the course of the race not one fast lap. Anybody can do one fast lap but if they are not consistent overall you have no real data to work with as consistency in lap times is the key to winning any race. In GT6 they even have a trophy for that…LOL.
very true, it's just that I don't have the full race time in memory lol!

ETA: anything under 11mn is good

Last edited:
so that is a mistake then? how would they model the cockpit (after the real thing, I presume) yet get this wrong?
I have to remember to look at onboard views of the real thing.
Yes, I will look onboard as you just to make sure that we are correct.

I know, right? I hate that you can't skip it with a simple button push! there are tracks where the delays are as sleep-inducing / infuriating (Matterhorn or that other mountain track)...
Yes!! The other thing that I do not like is that after the race it goes right to replay.

very true, it's just that I don't have the full race time in memory lol!
I assume 8mn30 or under is good? (30s annoying delay + 5*2mn)
I could not agree with you more on that point.

I would also be nice if they got rid of the driver aids as when I look at YouTube video of a race I don't know how many aids are being used or deployed and to what degree. What do you think about aids in general?? My thinking is that if we keep testing we can always go faster without the aids with any car. I know that for beginners it a plus but eventually they will never reach their full potential if they stick with them. The best analogy that I can give you is like training wheels on a bike. One’s you take them off you go faster…LOL.

Wheel? (I'm on DS3)

Yes I really hate that delay as well.

I use a wheel - and I am slightly above average I guess (WRS Div 2 Silver). But the Speed 8 is also a really good car.

Yes I really hate that delay as well.

I use a wheel - and I am slightly above average I guess (WRS Div 2 Silver). But the Speed 8 is also a really good car.
Great car. I won with the Speed 8 with no aids or turbo. A wheel is a must for this game.

I could not agree with you more on that point.

I would also be nice if they got rid of the driver aids as when I look at YouTube video of a race I don't know how many aids are being used or deployed and to what degree. What do you think about aids in general?? My thinking is that if we keep testing we can always go faster without the aids with any car. I know that for beginners it a plus but eventually they will never reach their full potential if they stick with them. The best analogy that I can give you is like training wheels on a bike. One’s you take them off you go faster…LOL.
yeah not a fan of aids either, especially SRF (soooo realistic! :rolleyes:), you can bet it's used whenever possible. ASM effect can be obtained by lowering LSD and/or adding rear toe, and TCS makes you slower.

Back on the 908, watch this:

Can't really tell when onboard, but notice the windshield wipers and that the driver is on the right of them (you see his hands from time to time)...
Now skip and pause to 12:13, you can see the wipers right in the middle, which means the pilot is seated on the right side, and PDI didn't goof!
Pretty nice! but I don't like it, we drive right (driver on left) in France LOL

This link: http://lemans.slotracing.free.fr/le-mans-1970/porsche-908-29-fly.htm
shows a German car with a right side driving wheel, it seems to be an LMP trend. My father theorized that because most race tracks turn clockwise, a driver on the left side would be compressed against the door and offset the car's weight/balance too much, Idk, he's not much into motorsports haha, Le Mans does turn clockwise...

Last edited:

No aids and no turbo 822hp pp685

that was most epic.. the ai cars got run over by you. the tune setup must be awesome. are you using controller or wheel ? where did you get the tune setup from ? the car just takes off & never loses any position during the race.
quite epic & so Dench!!!!

yeah not a fan of aids either, especially SRF (soooo realistic! :rolleyes:), you can bet it's used whenever possible. ASM effect can be obtained by lowering LDS and/or adding rear toe, and TCS makes you slower.

Back on the 908, watch this:

Can't really tell when onboard, but notice the windshield wipers and that the driver is on the right of them (you see his hands from time to time)...
Now skip and pause to 12:13, you can see the wipers right in the middle, which means the pilot is seated on the right side, and PDI didn't goof!
Pretty nice! but I don't like it, we drive right (driver on left) in France LOL

This link: http://lemans.slotracing.free.fr/le-mans-1970/porsche-908-29-fly.htm
shows a German car with a right side driving wheel, it seems to be an LMP trend. My father theorized that because most race tracks turn clockwise, a driver on the left side would be compressed against the door and offset the car's weight/balance too much, Idk, he's not much into motorsports haha, Le Mans does turn clockwise...

My family is from Corsica
that was most epic.. the ai cars got run over by you. the tune setup must be awesome. are you using controller or wheel ? where did you get the tune setup from ? the car just takes off & never loses any position during the race.
quite epic & so Dench!!!!

I am humbled by your comments but I give all the credit to all of you in the “G.T. Planet Community”!!!

I take from all of you and I adapt it to my driving style from my 32 of sports car racing. I like a very loose rear end because of all the years of racing Porsches where for many years the motor was behind the rear wheels.

I am using the Logitech GT wheel. The tune is a combination of all the different comments posted here and the rest of the GT Planet Forums. If I could give you just one humble suggestion read every post in GTP and you will never go wrong. They are all helpful and yes you will discard some of them and the rest adapt to the way you like your race car to handle. I can say that I won this race with many race cars but the Audi R8 Race Car was for me the best adaptable for this particular expert seasonal. I can also say that this Audi R8 may not be the best bet for the next seasonal. Also I cannot stress this enough go slow to go fast and run as many practice laps as you can. Last stay away from aids and turbo unless absolutely necessary. Thank you!!

This was fun with the 660 pp 2J running clean 2:06 to 2:08, I notice you can nudge the AI cars without penalty when alongside, the flashing arrow stage. Had some good runs into Eau Rouge side by side and push them off. A satisfying last lap, just hanging on thru Blanchimont then a late braking pass at the last Bus Stop chicane to beat the Minolta. Proof again the 2J has the hidden ~40pp advantage.

Last edited:
This was fun with the 660 pp 2J running clean 2:06 to 2:08, I notice you can nudge the AI cars without penalty when alongside, the flashing arrow stage. Had some good runs into Eau Rouge side by side and push them off. A satisfying last lap, just hanging on thru Blanchimont then a late braking pass at the last Bus Stop chicane to beat the Minolta. Proof again the 2J has the hidden ~40pp advantage.

I agree with the 40pp and yes you can nudge them when side by side without penalty.

care to try the 2J at 700pp? gonna give mine a try in a bit (at 660 and 700pp), was doing 2:03-2:05's with the 905 at 700pp...

My family is from Corsica
that is nice! we continentals call it simply Corse, or île de Beauté (isle of Beauty). I was with a Corsican-Polish girl for a while :cool:

I take from all of you and I adapt it to my driving style from my 32 of sports car racing.
is years the missing word? props to you if so!

care to try the 2J at 700pp? gonna give mine a try in a bit (at 660 and 700pp), was doing 2:03-2:05's with the 905 at 700pp...

that is nice! we continentals call it simply Corse, or île de Beauté (isle of Beauty). I was with a Corsican-Polish girl for a while :cool:

is years the missing word? props to you if so!
Thank you!! 32 years.

@skeagracing, what are you using for screen capture?
The color balance seems to be way off on the videos you have posted.
Not sure what is wrong with that but I don't like the color balance one bit. Could be the camera need a UXP SD card??
I have a JVC HD Memory Camera GZ-EX250?? Not happy at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be your settings @skeagracing, it's like you have the sepia mode on, or RGB (Red Green Blue colors) somewhat off.
I will give it a go. Thank you for the heads-up! Also I looked at the camera and it was not set for HD so I changed it. I will look at the setting on the RGB....

After few days of resting, I played again with the R8 Race Car 01, I improved 1-2 seconds, getting consistently 2:06-2:08 laps now with gold (330k credit woohoo). However, that is when I adjust the car transmission final gear ratio down for better acceleration. I can't believe you run R8 stock with 2:04. It is quite amazing. Do you have a video? I want to see how you drive. May I add you to friend list?

My average lap time with the stock Sauber C9 ’89 and for the stock Audi R8 Race Car ’01 was 2:04. No aids and no turbo. I would recommend going like a bat out of hell for all 5 laps to win this race! One’s you have the lead in the race go even faster if you can or you will be rear ended and taken out.

No aids and no turbo 822hp pp685

Here's the video - it was further up this page.

After few days of resting, I played again with the R8 Race Car 01, I improved 1-2 seconds, getting consistently 2:06-2:08 laps now with gold (330k credit woohoo). However, that is when I adjust the car transmission final gear ratio down for better acceleration. I can't believe you run R8 stock with 2:04. It is quite amazing. Do you have a video? I want to see how you drive. May I add you to friend list?

Yes!!!!!

I will film it from the cockpit and post it for you on YouTube. I also want to see if I can fix my camera TV problem while I am at it. Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chaparral 2J at 663PP
2:04.2xx best lap, consistent 2:05's
11:06.6xx best race

2J 700PP
2:00.618 best lap, consistent 2:02's
10:52.2xx best race. The Pescarolo Hybride was just .418s behind me, give me more of this PDI (and get rid of the rubberbanding or tone it down) !

Too bad she looks so horrible and/or you can swap engines -he's a beast!

Chaparral 2J at 663PP
2:04.2xx best lap, consistent 2:05's
11:06.6xx best race

2J 700PP
2:00.618 best lap, consistent 2:02's
10:52.2xx best race. The Pescarolo Hybride was just .418s behind me, give me more of this PDI (and get rid of the rubberbanding or tone it down) !

Too bad she looks so horrible and/or you can swap engines -he's a beast!
Wow!! Super nice!! Yes a total beast...LOL!!

Yes!!!!!

I will film it from the cockpit and post it for you on YouTube. I also want to see if I can fix my camera TV problem while I am at it. Thank you!!

I set this Audi R8 to be very loose in the rear so the steering wheel will not move much as I steer the car with the throttle and brakes. The cockpit view does not show my feet on the pedals unfortunately.

@skeagracing
LOL at the Bentley, that Woodward guy is totally nuts, him and the German driver with the Sauber miss the most corners (or hit you in the rear)!
You run a very smooth line and apply the brakes gently 👍

I'm out to try the Toyota 7 again, the 700pp seasonal ending tomorrow. Might give a shot at that Pescarolo Hybride too, seeing it was my most worthy opponent (or was he just the rabbit?)...

Give them a ride and the best of luck. You picked the right race car with the Pescarolo Hybride!! I think it was the most worthy opponent. I have never done the Toyota 7 as it's way to ugly...LOL!

Back