A-spec Race Challenges #5: 07/08/2014 - 21/08/2014

• Thread starter et_
  • 267 comments
Ive been searching the forums for Praiano's Toyota TS030 tune, i can't find it. and i see other ppl are using it. Praiano's tunes seem to be the best out there!

Though I still think the Yellow Hat in the right hands can win this race, I finally put it away and brought out my 2J w/Praiano's tune. One race to acclimate myself to the car left me in second, but had the darn thing won on my second attempt when I crashed during the slowdown after the final long straight. Third time was the charm.

Though I still think the Yellow Hat in the right hands can win this race, I finally put it away and brought out my 2J w/Praiano's tune. One race to acclimate myself to the car left me in second, but had the darn thing won on my second attempt when I crashed during the slowdown after the final long straight. Third time was the charm.
It can.
I had three wins with it yesterday (with a couple of Ford GT cars as rabbits, one of them in the Gulf livery).
Handling of the Yellowhat is awesome.

Tried again today and finally won with the F1 GTR and 2J with a surprising time of 6:45 & 6:40. I feel like the rabbit was much slower than from my last try. Also this seasonal reminds me of the GT5 650pp seasonal on the same track were if the F1 GTR was the lead rabbit, it was nearly impossible to win.

Bought the 2J for the Ring seasonal... 👍 approved!

But the brakes are awful... :yuck:

In comparision with my Toyota TS030, kinda of divided, I still like the TS030 more...
More races with the 2J needed...

Ran a 6.43 with an R33 touring car in the expert challenge. Don't think I've got better than a 4th pace yet :grumpy:

I think it's possible (for me) with this car, but I'm not exactly brimming with confidence. Really don't want to de-tune an LMP (or McLaren) as I would feel like I'm stepping outside of the intended scope of the race - and I don't like doing that. Still got the Castrol TOMS Supra and HSV to try if the R33 doesn't work out for me.

On the whole I have really enjoyed racing these seasonals. I must have ran Tsukuba 10 or 15 times in all kinds of cars, and Silverstone probably 10 times too. Over the three races you can probably use most of your garage - and I think that's a good thing even though some people say PD are lacking creativity 👍 I just kept trying something else and seeing how it compared, good fun!

I think it's possible (for me) with this car, but I'm not exactly brimming with confidence. Really don't want to de-tune an LMP (or McLaren) as I would feel like I'm stepping outside of the intended scope of the race - and I don't like doing that. Still got the Castrol TOMS Supra and HSV to try if the R33 doesn't work out for me.

I agree with you on that. That's why I really wanted to gold it with the Z4 GT3. The Nordschleife to me will always be for GT cars, not Prototypes. The F1 GTR, to me, is still a GT car. It was converted from a road car. That's why I have never tried with the TS030s, 2Js, or any other LMPs.

That Nurburgring challenge is so BS, first try, got a lap time of 7:02, the leader did a 7:30, but was so far ahead to start with that he finished 25 seconds before I did. (still not as bad as most GT5 seasonals though) Guess I might need something quicker than the GTI Roadster, maybe an R32 Touring Car.

Agreed ! I started out roughly 54 secs behind and finished 5th.

20140811_003442.jpg
Finally got it with the Furai, tough one.

I won both Tsukuba and Silverstone with my '89 Miata. It took me 9 attempts to win Nurb. I tried several different cars with no luck including my C60 Hybrid ( it was a handful in the corners) so I used the TS030 with Praiano's tune against the Ford GT LM and won by 0.404 seconds. I wasn't sure I was going to make it though because the Ford GT got my draft even though I was not on the racing line. He bumped me at the last right hander before the finish line that gave me a boost and it didn't wreck me but helped to get the margin of .4 seconds. Went back and tried the same line up but I pushed too hard and had 3 off track experiences and finished 2nd 2.6 seconds behind. I did use the max PP in all 3 races as I'm not really that great of a driver.

I saved several replays of the different rabbits to see how fast they were running at various points on the track especially the long straight towards the finish line. You need to be able to run faster than 190 MPH on that straight if you are in 1st because the rabbit can close on you before you know it. I passed the Ford at the little carousel and it stayed about 5 car lengths behind me until we got to the straight. Once on the straight he caught me at the bottom of the hill and was on me until he gave me the bump. I don't think I'll try this one again for several days. I am extremely glad there were no penalties in this event because it is very difficult to pass on this narrow track.

Did you manage to catch the vid posted just above at all?
Thoughts?

Since I upgraded my PS3 hard drive, I've been going on a bit of a replay-save splurge. I've probably run this Nurburgring stage 15 times and saved 10 replays, so I'm sure I'll be able to find an example of the swerving in there. The problem is how to upload it here.

I don't have a video capture card, so (I believe) I'm limited to using my mobile to film replays. (Just had a quick look at my phone, and it seems I should/may be able to upload a video file using that.)

I'll hopefully be back in the vicinity of my PS3 later this evening, so I'll see if I can find some and put it up then. The quality will only be as good as an iPhone 5 will allow though.

If AI comes close in the middle of last straight, let it pass. And catch the draft right away, then you'll get the advantage at the right moment. Be cool in the last several corners, though. Don't late brake, stay in the racing line and it's mostly fine. ;)

I agree with you on that. That's why I really wanted to gold it with the Z4 GT3. The Nordschleife to me will always be for GT cars, not Prototypes. The F1 GTR, to me, is still a GT car. It was converted from a road car. That's why I have never tried with the TS030s, 2Js, or any other LMPs.

I'm of a similar frame of mind, and was using non-LMP and the like cars. I suspect I do/did it for reasons of immersion.

Seeing all the talk about the TS030 and the 2J though, I had to give both a go as I had not yet driven my TS030 and had only driven the 2J once before. The 2J was a blast. There's something liberating about only having three gears to choose from. The TS030 was over-kill, but I understand that some people just want to get the gold out of the way or get the colour for the sake of collecting.

Over-all, I'm with you though, and I've had a lot of fun on this track working out which cars can do the job.

Finally managed to win the Nurb 600PP challenge.

First I tried with a stock R8 LMS, but was not able to get my lap time below 7'06 and 4th place. This car is a handful to drive and overtake with around the ring!

Switched to a stock GT-R GT500 (597PP). Much more manageable car and with a 6'40:8xx I was able to overtake the GT40 in the last corners for the win!

Some people complain that even this event was far too easy, but if you swap your LMP car or 2J with any of the GT cars I think you'll find this event challenging and fun.
I sure did:)

Some people complain that even this event was far too easy, but if you swap your LMP car or 2J with any of the GT cars I think you'll find this event challenging and fun.
I sure did:)

People complain it is too easy?

Haha. I was trying to help those who were struggling though.

I beat it several times with my M3 GTR Race Car, even against the McLaren GTR and the Zonda LM, but I still think blasting through the ring in an LMP is more fun.

:D

People complain it is too easy?

Haha. I was trying to help those who were struggling though.

I beat it several times with my M3 GTR Race Car, even against the McLaren GTR and the Zonda LM, but I still think blasting through the ring in an LMP is more fun.

:D

Those who complain it is too easy must have a gaming chair and steering wheel set up.

I won in a Honda HSV-010 '12 (the rabbit was the Viper GTS-R Team Oreca) but only by one second and it was by no means easy!

The races are clearly indicated and setup as Beginner and Intermediate so yes they are easy for anyone experienced in GT. May as well slag the Sunday Cup races too. Just use lower PP cars and tires if too easy for your level.

Why would I want to slag the Sunday Cup races? They are clearly "easy", made for the first "grinding" parts of the game. No need to slag them. They are made to be easy.

The Seasonals are normally more difficult, regardless of Beginner and Intermediate labels - at least, that is how I see them. When my 7 year old son can do them in untuned cars (he just uses the suggested car button, then selects one) the first time, then it is too easy IMHO.

Remember the Miata seasonal back in GT5, after Poly re-did the PP stuff? It was supposed to be a Beginner race, but it turned into a monster, only really doable with a really good tune, the right line-up, and great drafting!

And so on.

Now, I know I can use lower PP cars, tires, etc. Sometimes I do when I am feeling bored, waiting for the next seasonals to come.

Don't get me wrong - I like the seasonals (because I have done everything else in the game, the seasonals keep me playing). I just like having a challenge with them, so that I don't immediately have them completed as they come out. There have been a few like this that I had to research, try different cars, tunes, etc. They, of course, remain in memory because I feel like I actually accomplished something.

I have now won this race with 4 different cars :

2J
Pescarolo Hybrid
Zonda R
Audi R18 TDI 15th Anniversary

The last one was the toughest - won by .600 against the Zonda LM Race Car!!

The Pescarolo (as expected) chewed up the competition! I had to add extra weight to get it down to 600 lp, but that didn't seem to bother it at all.

All had the transmission put at around 300 kmh. A bit higher for the Audi (330 I think).

All-in-all, a fun race, but it is pretty easy (at least for me).

The best I've finished is 4th using a 2J.

Did you manage to catch the vid posted just above at all?
Thoughts?

Sigh. "The following video does not have an acceptable(?) extension."

I had eight little videos. They just showed different examples of unpredictable AI behaviour as I approached them. It's not like there are a great deal of straights (apart from the main one) in this track, but it seems like, sometimes, the AI was trying to move out of my way. Often, it moves to the right (or maybe it's to the other side of the road from where the blue racing line is?).

It doesn't make that much of a difference to overtaking. The AI actions on mini-straights don't seem regular enough to predict, so I treat them on a case-by-case basis. With corners, I keep in mind the classic racing line and try to overtake via a route other than the classic racing line as that's where the AI will be. That normally means overtaking on the inside--unless I'm late to the corner and the AI has already made it to the apex.

The best I've finished is 4th using a 2J.

Hmmm. Where exactly are you having problems?

I normally put the transmission to around 300 kmh. I like tight brakes, so I normally have them at 8 and 10, respectively.

Then it is really just a matter of knowing the course, I guess. Nurnburg is really fun, because it is such a long course - which means one has to invest more time into it, learning it. And of course with the changing elevation, the narrow track, and the rather irksome AI makes for some really fun racing!

This race doesn't penalize for leaving the track, or for collisions, so one doesn't have to be as precise as, say, Le Sarthe.

So when I come to an opponent, I normally look at it like this :

Opponent car up ahead - I think of it as an obstacle of the course itself. So which way to get around it? Left, right, or wait a bit. These are normally the three options that pop up in my head. I am concentrating, of course, on the track - what is coming up ahead. If it is a straight, I normally take the way of least resistence, providing it looks like I can accomplish this before a corner comes. If there is more room on the left, pass left, etc.

Sometimes it is more prudent to wait a bit, to see what the opponent actually does. The AI is kind of quirky, and either stays on the optimal path, or suddenly shoots across left or right, for no apparent reason other than to shut you out.

If a corner is coming up before I think I can pass (or I am in a corner), due to the rather lax rules here, I try to pass on the inside. You can do this with more speed than would be possible in the corner because you can use your opponent to "brake" with and get through the corner quicker. It does require some practice, and of course it can result in you spinning of the track, so keep that in mind.

That is basically it, really. The only other bit of advice I can give is that if you reach the long straight in front, you can block your opponents who close in from behind and keep them from passing. It is fairly easy on the NR track, as it is so narrow.

I hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Where exactly are you having problems?

I normally put the transmission to around 300 kmh. I like tight brakes, so I normally have them at 8 and 10, respectively.

Then it is really just a matter of knowing the course, I guess. Nurnberg is really fun, because it is such a long course - which means one has to invest more time into it, learning it. And of course with the changing elevation, the narrow track, and the rather irksome AI makes for some really fun racing!

This race doesn't penalize for leaving the track, or for collisions, so one doesn't have to be as precise as, say, Le Sarthe.

So when I come to an opponent, I normally look at it like this :

Opponent car up ahead - I think of it as an obstacle of the course itself. So which way to get around it? Left, right, or wait a bit. These are normally the three options that pop up in my head. I am concentrating, of course, on the track - what is coming up ahead. If it is a straight, I normally take the way of least resistence, providing it looks like I can accomplish this before a corner comes. If there is more room on the left, pass left, etc.

Sometimes it is more prudent to wait a bit, to see what the opponent actually does. The AI is kind of quirky, and either stays on the optimal path, or suddenly shoots across left or right, for no apparent reason other than to shut you out.

If a corner is coming up before I think I can pass (or I am in a corner), due to the rather lax rules here, I try to pass on the inside. You can do this with more speed than would be possible in the corner because you can use your opponent to "brake" with and get through the corner quicker. It does require some practice, and of course it can result in you spinning of the track, so keep that in mind.

That is basically it, really. The only other bit of advice I can give is that if you reach the long straight in front, you can block your opponents who close in from behind and keep them from passing. It is fairly easy on the NR track, as it is so narrow.

I hope that helps a bit.

Truth!

Just out of curiosity, if anyone wants to try:

Praiano´s tune for the McLaren F1 GTR - BMW (Kokusai Kaihatsu UK Racing)´95

Very stable, fast and fun. And its not a LMP...

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I did NOT used oil change and improve body...

Last edited:
Its really not so easy but I won a couple times with following Cars
Xanavia Nismo GTR '08
HSV 010 GT Base Model 12
GTR GT500 Base Model 08
GTR R35 Touring Car

Cheers
Andreas

This one was fun.......

A-Spec_Expert_Level_Racing_Car_Challenge_[RX-8_Concept_LM].jpg RX-8_Concept_LM_622bhp@600pp.jpg

A bit of a mess up in few places on this lap otherwise it would've been a few seconds faster for me I think, but ending on a 6:42.000 by squeezing between the GT LM and the barrier on the very last corner was mildly amusing. :D

I love driving the ring, but hate racing especially with AI that always brakes at the apex. Try to time it to dive under them after the exit and half the time I hit them because they slam the brakes. But that's always been that way. It's why I keep the driving line on, not to help me but to tell me where the AI Idiots are going to hit their brakes or swerve back across my front.

First time I won it I was in the HSV (3-4 tries). Then I won in the Red Bull A4, but that one I was miles behind in 3rd and as I exited the right hander after the mini Carrousel I saw the Corvette and Pagani snuggling against the outside wall. Not sure I would have caught them. Then I used the TS030 tune from the Red Bull Ring seasonal by bhowe...

Wow. As soon as I get home I am putting the car back up to full power and putting racing softs on it to see what lap times I can get on a time trial. That car with that tune is so beautiful to drive. I am in the 6:33 range with some room to tighten up.

Back