A-spec Race Challenges #7: 04/09/2014 - 18/09/2014

• Thread starter et_
  • 81 comments
I am the only one that love matte paint chips ? :D

I did the beginner race in 147 Twin Spark on CS and barely won against the Mini Cooper S which had a slight advantage in acceleration and wasn't too shabby on brakes either - will definitively do that again.

Overall on GP/D, AI seems to be doing well with the exception of the chicane - literately crawling there at 30 km/h.

For Intermediate I used the Audi TT Coupe '09 - won it but can't recall with how big of a margin. I guess I could go some PP lower.

For expert I used 2 cars - Ferrari 365 and BMW Z8 - both surpassed the car in 1st place in the middle of last lap so there's 10-20pp of margin there too.

I recommended to try the 147 on CS in first race though - kinda felt like racing :eek:

For intermediate:
I won in first try with Lancer Evolution 07 stock (463 PP), no tune, no aid on Sport Soft tires. My lap times are in the 1:38-1:39 range. If I use Sport Hard tires, my lap times are in the 1:41-1:42 range and I got second place.

To all, please post your lap times range (ignore the first lap time) because that is very helpful to know.

For the beginner challenge I used a stock Peugeot 106 S16 on comfort soft tyres. Not a lot of speed down the straights but the cornering is awesome :D

Tried the Prius G '09 on CM (Stock) in the Beginner race - it quickly managed to catch up to the rabbit, but apparently I stood on the Gas for too long, my battery didn't regenerate enough, so for the last 3 laps it was only able to use the Hybrid system for a very short time.

Boy, the Prius accelerates slow without the electric motor.

Fell from 2:04.904 in lap 2 to 2:08.xxx in laps 3, 4 and 5. Couldn't catch the rabbit.

Out of spite I obliterated them with an Avantime, the MiTo, the RCZ, a 307CC and a Cooper S '07 afterwards. Nice event, but I think I got enough FF action for a while now...

I remember people saying that the last set of events was the easiest set by far. I'd say it's this set, but then again, I run with cars that meet the very bounds of the criteria.

Expert: Used a plucky little NB Mazda Roadster tuned to 500pp. Led the race by lap 4. The AI was noticeably incompetent, as I saw two cars miss the braking point on the first corner and went right into the gravel.

Intermediate: Used an '82 Audi Quattro tuned to 500pp. Don't recall when I took the lead, but I remember one of my checkpoint splits toward the end saying that I was leading by about 16 seconds.

Beginner: Tuned Alfa Romeo MiTo. Snagged the lead by the end of the first lap.

Tried the Prius G '09 on CM (Stock) in the Beginner race - it quickly managed to catch up to the rabbit, but apparently I stood on the Gas for too long, my battery didn't regenerate enough, so for the last 3 laps it was only able to use the Hybrid system for a very short time.

Boy, the Prius accelerates slow without the electric motor.

I tried the CRZ with light mods and took the lead on the second lap. I could manage a 1 second lead and I really tried to manage the hybrid motor for the entire race. I ran out at the start of the 4th lap and got a bit back on the final lap. I wasn't really happy with these until I drove them. They are definitely fun.

Just did the Expert with a Ford Shelby GT 350R '65 with Praiano63 Tune. :bowdown:. Final Gear set to 3300 the rest is the same and I beat a Ferrari California Rabbit, caught it on the last lap after the first long straight. Great tune 👍 Average lap time was 1:32

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to re-connect to the PSN while in Gran Turismo 6?

Can you not ask to try re-connecting to the PSN while inside the game? I've done a quick look around but I don't see anything.

Usually if the login bonus icon is missing from your home screen, all you need to do is enter/exit the seasonal section and that should reconnect the game with the PD servers and the icon will reappear, so long as your PS3 is still signed in to PSN. 👍

Beginner: Fiat Barchetta (354pp)
Intermediate: Peugot 205 Turbo 16 (408pp)
Expert: TVR Tuscan Speed 6 (500pp) (rabbit was a C7 Stingray)

All stock except the tires, all of the pretty easy wins. I think I'll have to dip into the Daihatsus to make the Intermediate race a challenge; I actually wrecked the 205 twice (forgot how evil its lift-throttle oversteer can be in the turns and how easy it is to overcorrect) and still won pretty handily.

The beginner race is really dull, too; it's not quite Yarises-on-Test-Track bad, but Nurb GP-D is a pretty poor track for a bunch of slow <400pp FF cars.

Pretty easy this time around:

B: Honda Civic EK9 - stock
I: AUDI RS4 - stock
E: Hyundai Genesis - a few added extras, and took two attempts. 1st attempt was stock, finished 1.2 secs & 2nd behind the leader.

I could manage a 1 second lead and I really tried to manage the hybrid motor for the entire race. I ran out at the start of the 4th lap and got a bit back on the final lap.

Honest question - how do you "manage" the hybrid? 3/4 throttle? More braking? I like the hybrids, as well, but on fast courses they really seem to be out of their league.

Alfa 8C won the Motegi East race for me in 8:31.5, passed the Aston V12 rabbit by dive bombing the last hairpin, but really I had the position before the normal turn in spot, a 0.4 sec separation at the finish. Routine drive, a little sloppy and slowed to admire the details on the orange Superbird trundling along mid pack.

@FSportIS laptime was 1:33.7 average.

I really think Seasonal Events that require multiple laps, like these, should have tire degradation turned on. I don't think fuel depletion would matter much except for making your car a bit lighter. I have so few lower powered FF cars that I just decided to buy a Mini Cooper to whip around the Beginner Level Event. I kept the vehicle entirely stock, so that meant I was driving on CS tires. I beat the crap out of these tires so much that they probably would have been in shreds if tire wear were turned on. Now, if my tires were down to a 2 or 3 by lap 5, which they probably would have been the way I beat on them, that last lap would have been a lot tougher to maintain my lead.

I don't know...I guess I'm just looking for a way to make these events a little more challenging. Yes, I can detune my vehicle and I already do that from time to time, but we all know that the rabbit will just end up slowing down quite a bit to allow you a better chance of catching him. Perhaps I'm wrong and turning on tire degradation would have zero effect in a 5 lap race, but based on how often my tires were yellow, orange or red I don't see how it couldn't have had at least some effect.

EDIT: Disregard everything I just said. I just created an online room on Nurburgring GP/D and used my Mini Cooper with the CS tires. I ran 5 laps, just like the Seasonal Event and I was hammering these tires as much as I could. With Tire Wear/Fuel Consumption set to Normal my tires were all still at 10 after five laps. Setting it to FAST only resulted in my two front tires going down to 9 each (at the end of the fourth lap) after five laps total. Setting it to VERY FAST resulted in my two front tires going down to 8 each on lap four and stayed there at the finish of lap 5.

What did I learn? A) Comfort Soft tires can take an insane amount of abuse. B) Doing 15 laps on Nurburgring GP/D with a Mini Cooper is extremely boring! :mad::embarrassed::crazy::dopey::drool::dunce:

Last edited:
I find it quite frustrating how the AI can change their pace from snail to an almost pro racer in a 5 lap race. First part of the race I can gain something like 10 seconds a lap on the leader, then I take the lead on lap 3 and after that they push me right to the end and I only win by 2 or 3 seconds. My question is why not make them fast right from the beginning and not give them a massive head start?

I'm also fairly confident the "fast mode" AI would be competitive enough (for me at least) to have standing start races, which would make things less boring.

@El Diablo II I hear ya loud and clear. I ran my Clio R.S. '11 against a Mini Cooper S Countryman (he was the Rabbit). I passed him just after the chicane, before the last 180 degree turn on lap ONE!! My first lap time was like 1:51.xxx... My next four laps were all in the 1:49.xxx range and yet I only beat him by 1.884 seconds! How is that possible that I weave through all of that traffic and pass him on the first lap, but then I can't really shake him?

His first lap was 2:10.923... Mine was almost 20 seconds faster! Then all of a sudden he's turning 1:52.177, 1:49.738, 1:48.194 (he actually out paced me on that lap!) and I'm not certain of his fifth lap time. But, I only beat him by 1.884 seconds so he probably outpaced me or matched me on that lap too. It's insane...

True to form, I want to use a single manufacturer for all three events, but I'm having trouble thinking of one that has both a 4WD and a FR in their lineup. What PP does Subaru BRZ come with? I prefer stock cars.
was a great idea,
i did that with toyota brand
the prius in beginner race (really boring)
an old celica 4WD for intermediate race (easy win again, no real contestants)
and a lot in FR pro race
the brz (easy)
the 1600GT (really really hard, i finish at 0,5 sec of the leader)
the GT2000 (cool race, good fights)
the supra (what a pleasure to drive that car, easy win when the stingray doesn't ram you ...)

sad that you only have a bit of fight with the leader for 20sec
the remaining is just a slalom to avoid moving blocks ...

BRING US REAL RACES !!!

i've to try with maybe mitsubishi and audi if i don't felt dead because of boring

Ha ha!
IMG_20140905_153819.jpg
IMG_20140905_154206.JPG

Erm... no, it's not stock

Beginner Clio RS Stock - won by 1 second + using DS3 (I'm the boss:dunce:).

Intermediate Subaru S206 NBR - won by 1.2 secs using DS3.

Expert S2000 (DS3) 1.5 secs. I usually use DFGT but its fun on sticks sometimes...

Honest question - how do you "manage" the hybrid? 3/4 throttle? More braking? I like the hybrids, as well, but on fast courses they really seem to be out of their league.

I try to get the braking done before I turn in and coast the car through the corner. Then I get back on the gas at corner exit. It's the same process that you would use to save fuel.

Woohoo! These look cool. Can't wait to fire up the PS.

If only the drivetrain for Apricot Hill and Motegi were switched, this could be the best group of seasonals YET!

Still looking forward :D

Race1 any. Race2 Suzuki Alto Works Ltd. '97 (tuned by -feydrautha-).Race3 Nissan 240Z(HS30) '71 (tuned by -feydrautha-)

TBH, theses seasonals were /are just too easy, really. Did all of them with a variety of cars, from slow hacks right through to maxed out beasts. I did notice that in the "expert" race, that when I use a truly quick car, the AI went ballistic. One race I did in 8.02, with laps in the 1.27-8 range, and still only managed 2nd. That was amazing to watch the rabbit literally race away, must have been near 600pp. That was a BMW M5 08. I was in a Shelby Cobra 427, and was left floundering. Next race, same field etc, blew the doors off them. All up, wait a week, do three races, golded and done. Really needs to be more challenging. Maybe some night races in bad weather at more difficult venues. True expert races. I try using down graded cars and tyres, but it truly drives me mad trying to drive good cars on crap tyres. I guess its my make-up to use the best equipment available. Sliding/drifting around in 500pp cars on comfort softs, to me, is rubbish. I can do it, but to me its not as fun as powering into corners with good rubber and suspension set up and taking the vehicle to its limit. Anyway, enjoy, and I guess we will wait and see what challenges next week brings.

Last edited:
Beginner: Civic EK '98 (don't have lap times; didn't save the replay)...
Intermediate: S206 NBR Challenge Package '12 (using Sports Medium tyres) average lap time: 1:37 - 1:38, total time: 8:44
Expert: 135i Coupe '07 average lap time: 1:32, total time: 8:29

@gdmnd: that's so totally awesome to win using a CV Type A '54! Just for laughs, have you tried installing a tail on that car?

Finally had time to do this. Thanks to @et_ for the tips on what cars to use if you want to do all three with a single manufacturer. I went for Nissan.

Beginner: Primera 20V (EU) '01 396PP (oilchange), SH tyres, TC 0, ABS 1. Took the lead into t1 on lap 2. Bloody rubberband. Margin of victory: 2s on 1st attempt. Rabbit Clio RS.

Intermediate: Skyline GT-R V-spec II Nür (R34) '02 479PP, SS tyres TC 1, ABS 1. Too easy. Margin of victory: 16s on 1st attempt. Rabbit same as my car of choice.

Expert: Fairlady Z (Z34) '08 468PP (oilchange), SS tyres, TC 1, ABS 1. Margin of victory: 12 attempts with the M4 rabbit, never got closer than 2.7s (my very best too. Laptimes first L 1:34.xxx, the rest 1:32.xxx). So I resorted to some tuning (exhaust manifold, intake tuning, carbon hood, flat bottom, aerokit and a wing - 497PP), and got Vantage V12 as a rabbit. Won by half a second.

Last edited:
Back