A Technical Look at the New X2019 Competiton Compared to the X2014 Standard

It's an aesthetic analysis, not a technical analysis, you can't defend it, just stop lol

Where do you see an aesthetic analysis?

If you’d rather complain about the lack of content in a thread rather than contribute to fill in the gaps then that’s your problem.

Where do you see an aesthetic analysis?

If you’d rather complain about the lack of content in a thread rather than contribute to fill in the gaps then that’s your problem.
Comparing visual differences = aesthetic analysis, and no, I'm not going to fill the gaps because that's better left for someone who knows about aero, I'm not going to pretend to be Scarbs or Gary Anderson just because you demand it on a forum.

Comparing visual differences = aesthetic analysis

No. That’s not what aesthetics is about.

and no, I'm not going to fill the gaps because that's better left for someone who knows about aero, I'm not going to pretend to be Scarbs or Gary Anderson just because you demand it on a forum.

Why would you have to pretend to be someone else? I’m sure you have SOME knowledge since you know these obscure names.

No. That’s not what aesthetics is about.

Why would you have to pretend to be someone else? I’m sure you have SOME knowledge since you know these obscure names.
I assume you’re still replying to that guy? Just ignore him, he’s not worth anyone’s time.

They are journalists who are well regarded for being mostly correct when analysing the aerodynamics of racecars. If you really want my opinion, then here's my take on the changes from my very limited aerodynamic knowledge, (also some people are going to be "but it's a fictional car!", yes, it's fictional, by GT Sport does have aerodynamics simulated):

Most of the changes from the rear-axle forwards just look like a case of Polyphony improving the modelling of the car, whilst changing other details to be a bit more in-line with what would actually be used on the construction of real-world cars (such at the slat hatches to access the wheelnuts & bodywork screws), so no real aero-aimed changes that I can see.

The changes from the rear-axle backwards look like they're aimed at reducing downforce and wake turbulence in order to improve how closely cars can follow each other (we all know this is a thing in GT Sport, you will have felt it in this week's Daily Race C), they're already halfway there by using the Venturi tunnel to create most of the downforce (or at least that's what it looks like) as that typically creates less wake turbulence than depending on wings, winglets, conditioners, vanes, etc., does.

The Venturi tunnel's angle is a lot less aggressive at the rear and the top surface of the car now drops lower towards the back because it no longer needs to aggressively flick upwards to accommodate a larger Venturi tunnel (this would have probably been creating a fair bit of drag). Those two changes are what are leading me to believe that they're trying to create a larger slipstream with less wake turbulence via less downforce, as larger Venturi tunnels typically create more turbulence and make it harder for cars to follow each other. Also, from what I remember, feeding the air from the top side of the car towards the wake of the Venturi tunnel has a controlling effect on the turbulence, which was one of the main thought processes that lead to the centreline downwash wing.

Then there's also the removal of the lower section of the rear-wheel covers, that will reduce the amount of wheel turbulence that the undercut behind the wheels will have been channeling into the slipstream. This is possibly aimed preventing this turbulence from being channelled into the slipstream.

Also, I don't know if I saw it correctly, but it looks like the strakes in the Venturi tunnel have also been removed, which would again be a change aimed at reducing wake turbulence, as strakes typically create vortices off of their trailing edges.

So in a nutshell they're possibly trying to do this.

All of this is most probably 100% incorrect.

Last edited:
My biggest issue with the OP analysis is that supposedly they highlighted areas that actually are there but are blacked out and in the 2019 form allowed to be painted, thus not a real technical change. They did seem to do touch ups to the look of the strakes but nothing so dynamic that you could honestly expect a change.

The fact @TetsuKobura called the front wing slat a hood scoop is strange since...it's not one. As for the Venturi Tunnel/Diffuser area @Phaceless_Ph seems correct based on the knowledge I have on the subject. I think the main goal was the clean up wash effects while reducing drag and still maintaining similar aero gains the previous car had.

7437676_orig.png

This gives an idea of what is more or less trying to be achieved

Great work OP 👍 I was trying to spot the differences myself in the dealer but the camera keeps spinning round before I could take a close look :lol:

As for technical differences, from garage the downforce range is the most significant difference:
X2014 - F 1050-1450, R 1800-2200
X2019 - F 700-1200, R 1250-1650

As you can see the 2019 has much less downforce and the balance is shifted more towards the front. You can definitely tell there's a lot more understeer and putting power down is a lot more difficult. Engine wise, power is up slightly, but torque is down due to lack of turbo. RPM limiter has been raised too. The stock gearing is interesting - the X2014 has close low gears and progressively lengthens, but the X2019 is opposite (long low gears and closer higher gears). No change to weight for both cars.

IMO, I still stand by my earlier thoughts. They should have brought back the Formula GT as premium. The performance is similar but at least it's a new body style for the photomode and livery editor fans to enjoy. It's very incongruous driving the X2019 because in my mind I expected it to stick like the X2014 Standard and match its futuristic looks, but it handles worse than even the Super Formula and F1500T-A (if you can excuse the turbo lag). Another disappointment is the single colour choice. I was really looking forward to seeing the lesser represented country flags as liveries :grumpy:
That's what I found when I drove it on Catalunya yesterday. It wasn't easy to drive and I frequently struggled for traction in the slower corners, which I think is a good thing because more focus is placed on the driver. You can't just throw it into corners and expect it to stick, you really need to be focused to get the best from the car. It's what F1 should be.

They are journalists who are well regarded for being mostly correct when analysing the aerodynamics of racecars. If you really want my opinion, then here's my take on the changes from my very limited aerodynamic knowledge, (also some people are going to be "but it's a fictional car!", yes, it's fictional, by GT Sport does have aerodynamics simulated):

Most of the changes from the rear-axle forwards just look like a case of Polyphony improving the modelling of the car, whilst changing other details to be a bit more in-line with what would actually be used on the construction of real-world cars (such at the slat hatches to access the wheelnuts & bodywork screws), so no real aero-aimed changes that I can see.

The changes from the rear-axle backwards look like they're aimed at reducing downforce and wake turbulence in order to improve how closely cars can follow each other (we all know this is a thing in GT Sport, you will have felt it in this week's Daily Race C), they're already halfway there by using the Venturi tunnel to create most of the downforce (or at least that's what it looks like) as that typically creates less wake turbulence than depending on wings, winglets, conditioners, vanes, etc., does.

The Venturi tunnel's angle is a lot less aggressive at the rear and the top surface of the car now drops lower towards the back because it no longer needs to aggressively flick upwards to accommodate a larger Venturi tunnel (this would have probably been creating a fair bit of drag). Those two changes are what are leading me to believe that they're trying to create a larger slipstream with less wake turbulence via less downforce, as larger Venturi tunnels typically create more turbulence and make it harder for cars to follow each other. Also, from what I remember, feeding the air from the top side of the car towards the wake of the Venturi tunnel has a controlling effect on the turbulence, which was one of the main thought processes that lead to the centreline downwash wing.

Then there's also the removal of the lower section of the rear-wheel covers, that will reduce the amount of wheel turbulence that the undercut behind the wheels will have been channeling into the slipstream. This is possibly aimed preventing this turbulence from being channelled into the slipstream.

Also, I don't know if I saw it correctly, but it looks like the strakes in the Venturi tunnel have also been removed, which would again be a change aimed at reducing wake turbulence, as strakes typically create vortices off of their trailing edges.

Thank you, it was interesting to read :)

Most things posted on this site are probably 100% incorrect, but that’s okay. If someone with more knowledge than you sees your post, he or she might correct any mistakes there might be and we will all have learned something new.

Had you posted this earlier, less people would see you as a pedantic. Thanks for the writeup.

I don’t have music on when I’m on track so maybe I notice it more but... has anybody heard the noise from the x2019 competition when upshifting or downshifting? It sounds like a woodpecker lol what is that???

My biggest issue with the OP analysis is that supposedly they highlighted areas that actually are there but are blacked out and in the 2019 form allowed to be painted, thus not a real technical change. They did seem to do touch ups to the look of the strakes but nothing so dynamic that you could honestly expect a change.

The fact @TetsuKobura called the front wing slat a hood scoop is strange since...it's not one. As for the Venturi Tunnel/Diffuser area @Phaceless_Ph seems correct based on the knowledge I have on the subject. I think the main goal was the clean up wash effects while reducing drag and still maintaining similar aero gains the previous car had.

7437676_orig.png

This gives an idea of what is more or less trying to be achieved

I always look at these massive Venturi tunnels on Group C cars and wonder if they had issues with flow separation and aero-stalling.

I don’t have music on when I’m on track so maybe I notice it more but... has anybody heard the noise from the x2019 competition when upshifting or downshifting? It sounds like a woodpecker lol what is that???

I have also heard this, its similar to the exhaust popping/crackling you hear on some cars when you let off the accelerator.
But the X2019 seems to be making this noise on up shift, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but I'm no expert on when cars should be making that noise. I do however suspect that it is a glitch since no other car in the game does this, even the X2014 which makes the same sound when letting off the accelerator does not make the sound when upshifting.

Maybe someone could get a video of this as evidence?

Back