A Theory On Leftover PS2 tracks in Gran Turismo 5

Hello people of Gtplanet, I have a theory regarding the PS2 tracks appearing in the files of GT5 that were never used.

Most people believe they are remnants of the cancelled GT HD project, but I beg to differ. I am also not saying they were intended for use in GT5 and simply cut out sometime during development. My theory started from these videos of Jay Leno, Kaz, and 2 producers.

These are videos promoting GT PSP. I found these videos through the PS3 Playstation store, where these videos are available to download, which I did not too long ago. While watching them, I noticed something strange.

The gameplay footage supposedly of GT PSP looks suspiciously high definition. I personally believe the gameplay was recorded off a build of GT5. Here's my evidence to prove my hypothesis:

- All tracks shown in the gameplay footage appear in GT5s code, as shown through this TCRF page:
This would explain why Circuit Ricardo Tomo and Cathedral Rocks Trail III appear in GT5s code, which were two tracks which were not in GT4, but were included in GT PSP. This would also explain the PS2 variants of tracks that were included in GT5 appearing in GT5s code, like Laguna Seca and Grand Valley, just to name a few. This is also demonstrated by the GT5 Master Mod where all PS2 tracks in GT5s code were made available to play.

- Complex String is also found in GT5s code, which was also found in the code of GT PSP. This is shown through this link:

- The cars and tracks look much nicer on better hardware, which is what the PS3 has. Polyphony probably wanted to make the game look better for marketing purposes, so they transferred all the tracks from GT PSP to GT5.

- GT5 has a feature to transfer cars from your GT PSP save file to your GT5 save file. Almost all cars from GT PSP are in GT5. This could be Polyphony finding a way of importing GT PSP files to GT5 worth all the time spent.

- Also, the FPV car files are in GT5s code, which were cars found in GT PSP, but not vanilla GT5.

- The tracks could also could have been used for testing purposes. I don't have any evidence for this claim, it's just a proposal.

In summary, I do not think the PS2 tracks were a remnant of GT HD, but GT PSP tracks used for marketing and testing purposes. This explains the reasoning for all the PS2 tracks appearing in GT5s code. I don't think these tracks were ever intended for the final release of GT5. I ask of your opinions on this. After all, it's just a theory...

PS: Yes, I am a new member and this is my first post!

Latest Posts

Back