A thread only about balancing CSA and nothing else

Well l hope so because decent grammar is a requirement of the AUP.
Not posting false or misleading info. is also part of it.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you feel the need to be clever towards me.
If you are going to include me in a group and then put forward false accusations about that group, I'll probably respond to let you know it wasn't appreciated.
Have you read your earlier post? I'm the one being clever? And what false accusations?

Have you read your earlier post? I'm the one being clever? And what false accusations?
I know precisely what l wrote.
I think you are the one who needs to read them again.

Oh,
"but when 100% of the people in this thread use a wheel and are here wanting to get an assist that makes mine and probably atleast 90% of players who use a controller more fun and enjoyable removed, it makes me laugh."
Ring any bells?

I was happy to sit back and just read the goings on, until you included me in your hyperbole.
But l've said my piece, so you can look for your next target to argue with now.

Last edited:
And I'm new to this sort of game so i use this aid to make my experience of the game more enjoyable.

Yes pretty much everytime I'm top 10 eu and sometimes 1st, with or without CSA but CSA makes me more consistent. And the criteria was yours, i obviously don't want wheels b

If you are a new player to this type of game and top ten EU every time would you post some screen shots of the top 10 EU leader boards as a little documentation to your skills in this game ?

I understand there are some really fast racers in that region.

my psn name is Jenkins097 this my first sim game so I'm not very good but it's fun to improve. I only have a couple of friends with gran turismo so it would be nice to have more :)

This quote was taken from another thread that you made from 3 weeks ago.
Guess I need to cancel my order for a wheel.
Based off of what you have posted have you ever actually owned or raced a wheel on this game?
The reason for my question is that according to your prior post you are new to this type of game and this is your first one. You apparently have ordered a wheel but not yet received it to play the game.
So with what knowledge or experience are you making claims that a person using a wheel has a control advantage if you have never owned a wheel or played this type of game before?

Yeah im new to this sort of game I don't know how to counter steer as well as the players in this thread so I use the aid that was designed to help players like me, maybe after a few months and I've learnt the game properly I'd turn it off. I'm getting a wheel soon so I can really test it so I can see both points of view.

I do not think anyone has a problem with an aid to help new players play the game, only when there is an unrealistic aid placed in the game that actually gives a competitive advantage in on line races over those who do not implement the aid.

This was never about type of control input device used as both controller and wheel users get the same performance advantage if the aid is employed. For some reason you wanted to make it about wheel users versus controller users which I could not understand. And the more that came out the more it became apparent that it seems your attacks on wheel users had no basis from experience with both control options.

I hope you enjoy the wheel when it arrives, it is much more immersive and fun in my opinion but it is not a magic bullet that will make you faster just because you use a wheel.

Some gamer's have switched, not liked the wheel and went back to the controller. We all are different.

Last edited by a moderator:
This quote was taken from another thread that you made from 3 weeks ago.

Based off of what you have posted have you ever actually owned or raced a wheel on this game?
The reason for my question is that according to your prior post you are new to this type of game and this is your first one. You apparently have ordered a wheel but not yet received it to play the game.
So with what knowledge or experience are you making claims that a person using a wheel has a control advantage if you have never owned a wheel or played this type of game before?
Yes I'm new to this type of game 3 weeks ago I wasn't very good, I'm not very good now but I'm still top 10 eu most of the time. and now your trying to tell me wheel users don't have an advantage :) do you know how hard some tracks are braking on controller, never mind counter steering? Although thankfully PD has rightfully allowed an assist that helps greatly in counter steering.

I meant all of the players here, advocating the use of CSA being removed, use a wheel. You said no where you wanted it removed unless I'm mistaken? And argue? Some guy here was calling everyone who used CSA driving above there means which is not true.

Please read all my previous comments in this thread I created. You would see that I've never wanted csa, or any other assist for that matter removed (no one else wants them completely removed either). Assists can help you learn and get better, but there should be an incentive to eventually take it off when you reach a certain level of skill and can do it manually better than the assist itself. I don't want to repeat the same things I've already said, but if you took the time to read my previous comments you would be able to understand my point of view.

And as VF has pointed out, a wheel user gains the same advantage by using csa as a pad user gains advantage using csa. You have turned this thread into wheel vs pad.. I've even said many times that DS4 has its own assists built into the physics by PD unlike most other sims. Some would even argue that countersteering with a wheel is harder than with a controller (at least it was for me when I was learning), but it is a skill I and many others had to learn.

I have no problem with wheel users, they can use CSA or no CSA but just because you have some moral code and think you're some hardcore racer who likes to say well I use no assists therefore I'm better, and then get angry at people using it, either use or don't use and if you still choose not to use it then that's on you then. Concentrate on getting faster, and not concentrating on making the others slower.

Mate you like to put words in people's mouths don't you..

I have no problem with wheel users, they can use CSA or no CSA but just because you have some moral code and think you're some hardcore racer who likes to say well I use no assists therefore I'm better, and then get angry at people using it, either use or don't use and if you still choose not to use it then that's on you then. Concentrate on getting faster, and not concentrating on making the others slower.
From my observations if many racers concentrated on actually learning how to control the car without going off track or crashing multiple times in a race at the pace they are trying to run that even their limited success has a lot to do because of the aids they deploy.

Many times those crashes ruin other racers results then yes using an aid that allows you barely to maintain and run a pace you actually cannot run without such unrealistic aid then you very well may be driving over your head and experience level.

Problem with many today, they think they should pick up something where they have no experience and immediately the game itself should gift them the tools and skills to be racing in the faster brackets while not knowing or really understanding what the downside may be to a particular choice they may make in the race.

If we did not have as many inexperienced racers racing in the higher SR rankings then we probably would be seeing a lot fewer threads about how the system need to be fixed or changed.

For someone with only a few weeks ever playing a racing sim you sure act like you are an expert and know all there is to know about it.

From my observations if many racers concentrated on actually learning how to control the car without going off track or crashing multiple times in a race at the pace they are trying to run that even their limited success has a lot to do because of the aids they deploy.

Many times those crashes ruin other racers results then yes using an aid that allows you barely to maintain and run a pace you actually cannot run without such unrealistic aid then you very well may be driving over your head and experience level.

Problem with many today, they think they should pick up something where they have no experience and immediately the game itself should gift them the tools and skills to be racing in the faster brackets while not knowing or really understanding what the downside may be to a particular choice they may make in the race.

If we did not have as many inexperienced racers racing in the higher SR rankings then we probably would be seeing a lot fewer threads about how the system need to be fixed or changed.

For someone with only a few weeks ever playing a racing sim you sure act like you are an expert and know all there is to know about it.
Faster brackets? I can drive the same qualify laps with no CSA it just makes me more consistent in a race, so it would make no difference in that. I may not have much experience but it's hardly a gift is it. Just a question what DR are you?

Yes it has turned into a wheel vs controller, and I keep talking about wheels, because the only people wanting it removed seem to use a wheel. please tell me the people saying it's easier to counter steer on a controller. and if you guys can show me a guy top 10 everytime getting insane times on controller with no csa then I'll say fair enough

P1 stock MX-5* time on Dragon Trail Asia region in Sport mode was a 2:06.9 DS4 no aids by a very fast Japanese guy who also owns a wheel and was up top in GTA using DS3.

Last edited:
I mean cars gr3 and above such as the Porsche 911 RSR. I can probably drive cars that slow with no CSA and wouldn't feel a difference.

MX-5* my bad. Same deal with all classes.

Honestly, I'm just going to have to stop replying here though with this comment because you seem to ignore every point that is brought up.

Last edited:
Faster brackets? I can drive the same qualify laps with no CSA it just makes me more consistent in a race, so it would make no difference in that. I may not have much experience but it's hardly a gift is it.
This is what many do not understand is it is entirely different basically hot lapping on an empty track in clean air with optimal lines always available than running that same basic pace on a track full of cars in dirty air where available lines may well be dictated by other cars around you. Many show they can hot lap a good time but cannot maintain that pace over a race distance much less in and around other cars without making multiple mistakes.

He literally made a post yesterday stating every assist people in his lobby were using and because some were using assists, they were below him. Who
If you go back and read that post again then your statement is a fabrication as no where did I say any driver using those aids were below me. I did point out the number of racers using which aids and observing replays and that multiple offs within a race usually involved a virtual world aid user.

To me that indicates many are trying to drive above the level they are capable of driving and being in control of the car over an entire race distance and many times that is even using the aids.
Just a question what DR are you?

Not really sure what significance that has in this conversation but if you need to know it is DR B. I feel that the game for the most part has me placed at the level I should be as DR is meant to match you with other drivers that run the same speeds that you run in the online races.

I have no false illusions that I will be in top tier of fastest racers in GTS and my DR rating to myself is irrelevant as long as it does its job matching me with racers of similar skills to my own. If more racers again accepted their skill levels for what it is currently we would probably not see so many complaints about crash filled races or drivers using aids to drive at a pace over their current skills.

I remain convinced the vast majority of players would have a massively better on-line experience if they chose cars they have a chance of controlling, switched on CSA and TC, and focused much more on learning race craft, and how to drive closely to other cars without making contact.
I agree that on lower levels TC and CSA should provide better races. And that in a game where online racing is the focus race craft might be more important to learn first. But imo when race craft is learned, proper car control without gamey assist like CSA and ASM should be next on the agenda and this should somehow be forced by the game, maybe 1/3 dailys should have them prohibited. Or they can add one 10 lap daily race whitout assists.

You and me are around same pace, but i dont use these assists. This means i have to work harder to 1: get to that speed and 2: maintain that speed trough a whole race. This gives you an small advantage in a race over me. Experience, pace, knowledge, and input wise we are around the same level i believe but consistency wich is also a huge factor to be succesfull is partly taken out of the equation by you using CSA. When you already are at a level that you can drive well without it you are just using it as an unfair bump in consistency against drivers of the same level who dont use it. Ofcourse when the game allowes it it is all game and i see allot of other fast people using it as well. Thats why imo there should be races where it is allowed at all levels to tighten the competition, and races where it not allowed at all levels to level the competition.

Last edited:
I agree that on lower levels TC and CSA should provide better races. And that in a game where online racing is the focus race craft might be more important to learn first. But imo when race craft is learned, proper car control without gamey assist like CSA and ASM should be next on the agenda and this should somehow be forced by the game, maybe 1/3 dailys should have them prohibited. Or they can add one 10 lap daily race whitout assists.

You and me are around same pace, but i dont use these assists. This means i have to work harder to 1: get to that speed and 2: maintain that speed trough a whole race. This gives you an small advantage in a race over me. Experience, pace, knowledge, and input wise we are around the same level i believe but consistency wich is also a huge factor to be succesfull is partly taken out of the equation by you using CSA. When you already are at a level that you can drive well without it you are just using it as an unfair bump in consistency against drivers of the same level who dont use it. Ofcourse when the game allowes it it is all game and i see allot of other fast people using it as well. Thats why imo there should be races where it is allowed at all levels to tighten the competition, and races where it not allowed at all levels to level the competition.
You hit the nail on the head. I had to work so hard to control FR gr3 car in a race without TCS, it was actually tiring over the 10 laps, what it made me realize , if a lot of folks couldn't use aids they probably wouldn't bully their way around the track , and the SR debate would be much less. This literally makes you pay for your own mistakes. Aids classified races would absolutely influence the matchmaking and DR more accurately.

Unless you are one of the absolute best, it definitely gives an advantage to conistency, especially over a 10 lap race.

My main point of this thread through which I wish people would acknowledge, is that assists are good (we do not need to remove them), and like Stotty has said they can help your racecraft. But they should come at a disadvantage to ultimate race pace, which csa (and in some rare cases ASM) currently does not.

Let those who are learning use fantasy assists to help them race close and tidy, and let those who dedicate time to practicing driving/countersteering manually ultimately better than the computer can (similar to how it is with TCS) benefit from a faster ultimate achievable pace. Isn't this the best of both worlds?

All that is needed to do is make the fantasy assists ever so slightly worse than what is achievable manually (it's the same type of thing as being rewarded for using MT instead of AT, can you imagine if MT and AT had no difference in ultimate lap times?, that's how I feel about csa).

Unless you are one of the absolute best, it definitely gives an advantage to conistency, especially over a 10 lap race.

My main point of this thread through which I wish people would acknowledge, is that assists are good (we do not need to remove them), and like Stotty has said they can help your racecraft. But they should come at a disadvantage to ultimate race pace, which csa (and in some rare cases ASM) currently does not.

Let those who are learning use fantasy assists to help them race close and tidy, and let those who dedicate time to practicing driving/countersteering manually ultimately better than the computer can (similar to how it is with TCS) benefit from a faster ultimate achievable pace. Isn't this the best of both worlds?

All that is needed to do is make the fantasy assists ever so slightly worse than what is achievable manually (it's the same type of thing as being rewarded for using MT instead of AT, can you imagine if MT and AT had no difference in ultimate lap times?, that's how I feel about csa).

The hardest thing I think to balance is going to be the lack of losing on track pace from a mistake that the aid users seem to currently benefit from over the non users.

example, exiting a slow tight corner in a FR GR3 the back end starts stepping out without aids you lift the throttle, counter steer to catch the car and then reapply throttle. Before the incident you were 2 tenths of a second behind the car you were chasing and 1.2 seconds ahead of the car chasing you. After the incident you are now 1.4 seconds behind the car you were chasing and the car you were ahead of by 1.2 seconds is now on your back bumper. So basically that mistake cost you 1.2 second in time to other competitors even though you caught the car and did not crash or go off course.

The exact same situation and exact same input control only now with aids on only causes a "wiggle" and a loss of 2 tenths of a second in time to the other cars around you.

Not to mention if this happened on lap 3 as a non aid user more concerned about not being able to catch the car if the situation repeated itself then for the rest of the race is even more gingerly applying throttle out of that corner losing another tenth or two of a second in lap time while the aid user who just experienced the slight wiggle is still confident to apply throttle without the same reservations which does result in a competitive advantage over the entire race when exiting that corner.

How do you fix that?

The hardest thing I think to balance is going to be the lack of losing on track pace from a mistake that the aid users seem to currently benefit from over the non users.

example, exiting a slow tight corner in a FR GR3 the back end starts stepping out without aids you lift the throttle, counter steer to catch the car and then reapply throttle. Before the incident you were 2 tenths of a second behind the car you were chasing and 1.2 seconds ahead of the car chasing you. After the incident you are now 1.4 seconds behind the car you were chasing and the car you were ahead of by 1.2 seconds is now on your back bumper. So basically that mistake cost you 1.2 second in time to other competitors even though you caught the car and did not crash or go off course.

The exact same situation and exact same input control only now with aids on only causes a "wiggle" and a loss of 2 tenths of a second in time to the other cars around you.

Not to mention if this happened on lap 3 as a non aid user more concerned about not being able to catch the car if the situation repeated itself then for the rest of the race is even more gingerly applying throttle out of that corner losing another tenth or two of a second in lap time while the aid user who just experienced the slight wiggle is still confident to apply throttle without the same reservations which does result in a competitive advantage over the entire race when exiting that corner.

How do you fix that?

In my opinion it comes down to risk and reward. In that scenario you mentioned, it is just unlucky and there's nothing you can do about it besides learn from it and improve. In a situation like that I believe an assist should be faster, but the payoff for not making that mistake without aids should be even greater (unfortunately, right now it really isn't).

I think also that countersteer assist and asm should be ever so slightly more restrictive than they need to be. So when you make a mistake and the computer countersteers, maybe it breathes off the throttle a touch (like you would do manually), but the benefit of not using the assist is that you would have full control over that throttle application (e.g. keeping the throttle down wheras the computer would lift, or only lifting as much as you need to to stay on the limit of grip, whereas the computer would lift slightly more to be safer). Maybe it restricts the steering slightly until the car is straightened out. There are many small details like this that provide ways to balance them, helping less experienced drivers keep it together and providing a greater incentive to develop the skills not to need fantasy assists.

But again referring to your scenario, that's a risk we choose to take knowing that it could happen, but right now it seems like that risk is not worth as much as it should be (with the current operating of csa).

Last edited:
I use CSA at weak, ASM on, and TC only on the GR.3 cars and some of the RWD GR.4 cars.
I also use the cone markers, the physical ones that show break points as some of the tracks really don't have good visuals for breakpoints.
Depending on the track, I really don't need these on some tracks at all.
I've been driving sims since this game came out and that's it.
I'm currently DR. A and SR. S, I'm happy if I set qualifying times within 2 seconds of the top qualifying time.

It was always my intention to turn the aids off over time, and I've been thinking about turning CSA off for awhile recently, I can't really recognize when it turns on as I tend to be very gentle with the steering controls as it is.
I have no idea what ASM does to my lap times.

I would love to have a wheel setup, but unfortunately for the foreseeable future that just isn't viable.

I'm going to run some hotlaps in qualifying tonight of whatever race I end up choosing - I'll run some with my normal setup, some with ASM off, some with CSA off and some with both off.
It won't be much (maybe 5 laps each), but I'll let you know what it does to my lap times and consistency.

I did some playing around with CSA this evening at Suzuka in a GR3 Viper.

I actually used the time trial for the daily race as sometimes it seems the physics are different on line versus off line so I wanted to eliminate that variance plus this way I was running exactly what would be allowed in the online GR3 race.

I first ran the car as I have normally been running the car since the last update with ABS default and TCS at 2. I ran about 8 laps or so just to make sure I had the feel for the cars behavior with this set up and ran what I like to run for a sustainable "race pace" and noted the best lap time.

I then switched to ABS default and CSA strong with no other aids activated. I then went and ran the same sort of sustainable race type pace probably about 10 laps and when I noted the lap times I had turned a few laps 2 tenths quicker than my no CSA time.

I have driven this Viper a lot of miles around Suzuka so I am very familiar with where caution needs to come into play and where to totally avoid curbings or spots you really need to watch acceleration levels.

As has been stated it is not as much about faster lap times but how you can slightly put a foot wrong and catch the car where with the aid not being engaged at that same point you are going around. I intentionally made some moves in areas that I know for a fact will send the Viper acting like a merry go round and with the CSA it slightly stepped out but I was able to catch it and in those places doing the same thing without the aid you are going around, done it to many times!

What really shocked me though is that CSA is a better traction control and seems to eliminate breaking traction better than TCS at level 2. I was not expecting that. During my testing pushing past normal limits I was able to spin out or run off track but unless I was going a bit overboard it does make it easier to push with more confidence in parts of the track that can be troublesome.

I will still say this is a performance or race pace advantage and should be removed from on line racing. I do understand though how a similar skilled driver has that little extra confidence to be slightly earlier and harder on the gas giving a touch better drive out of the corner and possibly a few extra MPH top end as a result of using the aid.

I am going to have to consider to be the most competitive in the lobbies where I am matched whether to go against my normal acceptance level of using aids and start employing this instead of TCS as long as it does what it does with no apparent drawbacks to using it.

I really do not know what would be the best way to nerf this but keep it viable to use unless the lap time penalties for its use was to great for anyone to want to employ it in say DR C rankings or higher.

I use CSA at weak, ASM on, and TC only on the GR.3 cars and some of the RWD GR.4 cars.
I also use the cone markers, the physical ones that show break points as some of the tracks really don't have good visuals for breakpoints.
Depending on the track, I really don't need these on some tracks at all.
I've been driving sims since this game came out and that's it.
I'm currently DR. A and SR. S, I'm happy if I set qualifying times within 2 seconds of the top qualifying time.

It was always my intention to turn the aids off over time, and I've been thinking about turning CSA off for awhile recently, I can't really recognize when it turns on as I tend to be very gentle with the steering controls as it is.
I have no idea what ASM does to my lap times.

I would love to have a wheel setup, but unfortunately for the foreseeable future that just isn't viable.

I'm going to run some hotlaps in qualifying tonight of whatever race I end up choosing - I'll run some with my normal setup, some with ASM off, some with CSA off and some with both off.
It won't be much (maybe 5 laps each), but I'll let you know what it does to my lap times and consistency.

Ran 20 laps of maggiorre, a track I'm confident on.
With assists at my norm in the corvette gr4, (asm on, csa weak) I managed a 2.05.1 as my fastest lap.
With everything off I managed a 2.05.0
I didn't notice a drastic difference with assists off.
The car felt more squirrelly with asm off but it didn't affect my driving.
CSA helps a touch, but like I said before I try really hard not to crank the steering as it is.

I'm going to try racing from this point on with no assists and I'll let you know if anything drastic happens to my DR (usually hovers around 1/3 filled in DR A)

I did some playing around with CSA this evening at Suzuka in a GR3 Viper.

I actually used the time trial for the daily race as sometimes it seems the physics are different on line versus off line so I wanted to eliminate that variance plus this way I was running exactly what would be allowed in the online GR3 race.

I first ran the car as I have normally been running the car since the last update with ABS default and TCS at 2. I ran about 8 laps or so just to make sure I had the feel for the cars behavior with this set up and ran what I like to run for a sustainable "race pace" and noted the best lap time.

I then switched to ABS default and CSA strong with no other aids activated. I then went and ran the same sort of sustainable race type pace probably about 10 laps and when I noted the lap times I had turned a few laps 2 tenths quicker than my no CSA time.

I have driven this Viper a lot of miles around Suzuka so I am very familiar with where caution needs to come into play and where to totally avoid curbings or spots you really need to watch acceleration levels.

As has been stated it is not as much about faster lap times but how you can slightly put a foot wrong and catch the car where with the aid not being engaged at that same point you are going around. I intentionally made some moves in areas that I know for a fact will send the Viper acting like a merry go round and with the CSA it slightly stepped out but I was able to catch it and in those places doing the same thing without the aid you are going around, done it to many times!

What really shocked me though is that CSA is a better traction control and seems to eliminate breaking traction better than TCS at level 2. I was not expecting that. During my testing pushing past normal limits I was able to spin out or run off track but unless I was going a bit overboard it does make it easier to push with more confidence in parts of the track that can be troublesome.

I will still say this is a performance or race pace advantage and should be removed from on line racing. I do understand though how a similar skilled driver has that little extra confidence to be slightly earlier and harder on the gas giving a touch better drive out of the corner and possibly a few extra MPH top end as a result of using the aid.

I am going to have to consider to be the most competitive in the lobbies where I am matched whether to go against my normal acceptance level of using aids and start employing this instead of TCS as long as it does what it does with no apparent drawbacks to using it.

I really do not know what would be the best way to nerf this but keep it viable to use unless the lap time penalties for its use was to great for anyone to want to employ it in say DR C rankings or higher.

Haha . People are complaining about penalties and Sr and this travesty is occurring right under their noses.. Oh Lord

And driving line .

I'd agree with this but only remove it from real world tracks in sport mode, Anyone who is any kind of serious about racing clean and fair and all that good stuff should rightfully know the real world tracks like the back of their hand, The fantasy stuff not so much.

Then again maybe I'm just being biased because I just generally don't like fantasy tracks or wish to spend much time driving on them.

I'd agree with this but only remove it from real world tracks in sport mode, Anyone who is any kind of serious about racing clean and fair and all that good stuff should rightfully know the real world tracks like the back of their hand, The fantasy stuff not so much.

Then again maybe I'm just being biased because I just generally don't like fantasy tracks or wish to spend much time driving on them.
Me neither brother. Kill them with fire.

But this tells us nothing really, it is not a good test. I'd bet even without the assist the second 10 laps would see improvements as you really start to get in the flow. Even if you know the tracks 8 laps is not much to really get back to the rhythm of it, especially if u are driving near the absolute limit. If u really want to test proper you have to turn more laps. Turn laps until you hit your ceiling and your consistently within 3 tenths of your best and 5 tenths of optimal, then start the testing.

Back