A veteran going back to GT after many years worth it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Daddybird
  • 88 comments
  • 5,307 views
Messages
474
Australia
Australia
Hello,

I used to be a GT maniac, I am someone who bought an original PSX just to play GT and loved the series till the "generation change" that was GT5. I loved GT4, I still think it's the best GT ever, the content was close to absurd and I loved doing laps using my old Thrustmaster (or whatever that official wheel was called back then).

So simply, I didn't buy a PS3 as I bought an XBOX360 to play Forza bacause there was no new GT. Forza was decent but became amazing by the time number 4 came out... but I'm seriously disappointed with Forza 5 for it's lack of content etc. So I am considering GT6!

But I will buy a Thrustmaster T500 set up for it as well and a PS3 console + the game so it will cost me over $1000 here in Australia! But I miss the realism and the grinding (yeah, I'm old skool).

Is it worth it?
 
Last edited:
Hello,

I used to be a GT maniac, I am someone who bought an original PSX just to play GT and loved the series till the "generation change" that was GT5. I loved GT4, I still think it's the best GT ever, the content was close to absurd and I loved doing laps using my old Thrustmaster (or whatever that official wheel was called back then).

So simply, I didn't buy a PS3 as I bought an XBOX360 to play Forza bacause there was no new GT. Forza was decent but became amazing but the time number 4 came out... but I'm seriously disappointed with Forza 5 for it's lack of content etc. So I am considering GT6!

But I will buy a Thrustmaster T500 set up for it as well and a PS3 console + the game so it will cost me over $1000 here in Australia! But I miss the realism and the grinding (yeah, I'm old skool).

Is it worth it?
IMO yes, especially with the T500. There are issues with the game for sure, but the new tracks and new physics along make it worthwhile to me. If you have a good sound system as well I think you'll really enjoy the game:tup:👍

PS Prepare to be inundated with negativity...:lol:
 
I am enjoying GT6. In my humble opinion, it is worth it. GT6 lacks features currently (eg. track maker), but that stuff is said to come later as an update. There is also a list on the official site of the features to come.

Also, I am very eager to see the cars that have been made for the Vision Gran Turismo. (and to drive them).
 
IMO yes, especially with the T500. There are issues with the game for sure, but the new tracks and new physics along make it worthwhile to me. If you have a good sound system as well I think you'll really enjoy the game:tup:👍

PS Prepare to be inundated with negativity...:lol:

I know the engine sounds are not good at all, but after watching numerous Youtube videos... they're badish but not horrible which I was afraid of. I remember never caring for that in GT4 because the driving was so amazing with a good wheel. Trying to live to old times again!
 
Depends on what worth it means to you.

The deal with GT is the physics. In GT5 they were AMAZING! In GT6 something seems a little off since the tweak but it is still very enjoyable. Not having played 5 there are probably a TON of new cars for you. 6 only add about 166 new ones over 5. Online racing seems cleaner and that's probably due to the physics tweaks.

However, the game is incomplete in its current form. There are several things missing that were in 5 like B-spec, Race modifications, and so me other things they plan to add via updates down the road. Finally if they don't change the payout structure or make the seasonal payouts higher then you'll either have to seriously grind or shell out for micro transactions to afford a good number of great cars. I calculated it as 636 24 days to make enough to buy 'em all.
 
Hello,

I used to be a GT maniac, I am someone who bought an original PSX just to play GT and loved the series till the "generation change" that was GT5. I loved GT4, I still think it's the best GT ever, the content was close to absurd and I loved doing laps using my old Thrustmaster (or whatever that official wheel was called back then).

So simply, I didn't buy a PS3 as I bought an XBOX360 to play Forza bacause there was no new GT. Forza was decent but became amazing but the time number 4 came out... but I'm seriously disappointed with Forza 5 for it's lack of content etc. So I am considering GT6!

But I will buy a Thrustmaster T500 set up for it as well and a PS3 console + the game so it will cost me over $1000 here in Australia! But I miss the realism and the grinding (yeah, I'm old skool).

Is it worth it?



DaddyBird,


Is there any other GT nuts near by your location? Maybe you can offer to buy them a meal or something. They might let you try their game before you invest all that money.
 
D_M
DaddyBird,


Is there any other GT nuts near by your location? Maybe you can offer to buy them a meal or something. They might let you try their game before you invest all that money.

Unfortunately, no. And unfortunately I don't get any straight answers on the internet. And I appreciate and understand your question as many of some I know tell me to stay away from GT6 as it's "a disaster" ans stick with PC sims. But I had such a good time in the past (and I want to get back in to sim racing after many years) with GT that I might try it. Worst case scenario is that I'll have to find a good PC sim with the set up! (but no grinding or loads of cars) :)
 
I say its worth it, but as with every game now it has its launch flaws.
 
GT6 is better then GT5, so there is that.
 
Yeah, I would say it's worth it. I'm loving GT6 and we already know that the PS4 allows developers to decide if they want to support PS3 wheels you should be all set for GT7 and beyond.

Oh, and idk what that guy is saying about the physics. They are MUCH MUCH better in 6 than they were in 5.
 
So many new cars, so many tracks, and then there is the delta wing. :)
 
It's always worth it. I wouldn't pay $60 for a game like The Last of Us for example. They are boring after you complete the story mode. The campaign for GT is very long and enjoyable. There are lots of things to do and lots of credits to earn, cars to collect and mod!

I am loving it so far. That's why I kept my PS3 and will wait to upgrade to 4 next year.
 
It's always worth it. I wouldn't pay $60 for a game like The Last of Us for example. They are boring after you complete the story mode. The campaign for GT is very long and enjoyable. There are lots of things to do and lots of credits to earn, cars to collect and mod!

I am loving it so far. That's why I kept my PS3 and will wait to upgrade to 4 next year.
But like I mentioned I will need to spend about $1000 to play it the way I want ( even if GT6 isn't what I expect it to be I could always use it for some PC sims, but my main aim is GT6).

I have no idea why I wasn't impressed with GT5 when it came out but I am with GT6 and not Forza 5 !?
 
Hello,

I used to be a GT maniac, I am someone who bought an original PSX just to play GT and loved the series till the "generation change" that was GT5. I loved GT4, I still think it's the best GT ever, the content was close to absurd and I loved doing laps using my old Thrustmaster (or whatever that official wheel was called back then).

So simply, I didn't buy a PS3 as I bought an XBOX360 to play Forza bacause there was no new GT. Forza was decent but became amazing by the time number 4 came out... but I'm seriously disappointed with Forza 5 for it's lack of content etc. So I am considering GT6!

But I will buy a Thrustmaster T500 set up for it as well and a PS3 console + the game so it will cost me over $1000 here in Australia! But I miss the realism and the grinding (yeah, I'm old skool).

Is it worth it?
If you come from experiencing Forza as a current generation game, i think GT6 will be quite boring if you expect a good racing game apart from the physics. If you don't mind doing the eternal time trial and aren't bothered by the sounds then it would be worth 60 bucks.
 
But like I mentioned I will need to spend about $1000 to play it the way I want ( even if GT6 isn't what I expect it to be I could always use it for some PC sims, but my main aim is GT6).

I have no idea why I wasn't impressed with GT5 when it came out but I am with GT6 and not Forza 5 !?
Honestly, GT6 is like GT5 2.0. The developer made cosmetic changes. Everything is prettier and updated (including car models/makers).

GT6 is what GT5 should have been.

I still love it! I am hoping for GT7 in 2015 for PS4.
 
Oh, and idk what that guy is saying about the physics. They are MUCH MUCH better in 6 than they were in 5.

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm so used to GT5 and always have to remind myself that I'm playing GT6, but I think I know what he means by "a little off". I have now invested more than 24 hours of just free running in GT6 and I still find it somewhat difficult to be a consistent driver. First, braking has become a so delicate affair that it's not always easy to tell whether the car is actually slowing down or not. Second, in addition to gears having a much more profound impact on understeer, I often find myself going too hard into tight corners, even though I feel my entry speed was reasoable. Maybe I just need to practice more but I don't think the physics feel as intuitive as they did in GT5. So, although they may be improved from a realistic point of view, they are kind of hard to adapt to. Eventually, I don't think it should be that way, thus they are a little off.
 
Last edited:
Unfortunately, no. And unfortunately I don't get any straight answers on the internet. And I appreciate and understand your question as many of some I know tell me to stay away from GT6 as it's "a disaster" ans stick with PC sims. But I had such a good time in the past (and I want to get back in to sim racing after many years) with GT that I might try it. Worst case scenario is that I'll have to find a good PC sim with the set up! (but no grinding or loads of cars) :)

Daddybird,


Based on your comments, it seems like you are a veteran racer. If the most important thing for you is playing against actually people, rather than the AI, get the game. The AI is not a whole lot better than before. For the most part, the AI is racing on a predetermined line. GTplanet has a section for league races, so you might want to hangout over there. Ask questions about the various leagues. You might just find something that fits the type of racing that you like.
 
Great game, I almost sent an email to the makers expressing my thanks ... however, there are some very annoying faults (e.g. the current state of the setting sheets - no copy, no reset, and some general unexplainable weirdness including disappearing parts!) which should not have passed prerelease testing!

The tyre and suspension models do make an immense difference compared to GT5, 'tis like playing a entirely new game. If you are a GT fanatic, you will not be disappointed.
 
Last edited:
Is it a good game ? Yes is it a game worth investing 1k in ? No imho but its your money ;-)
 
D_M
Daddybird,


Based on your comments, it seems like you are a veteran racer. If the most important thing for you is playing against actually people, rather than the AI, get the game. The AI is not a whole lot better than before. For the most part, the AI is racing on a predetermined line. GTplanet has a section for league races, so you might want to hangout over there. Ask questions about the various leagues. You might just find something that fits the type of racing that you like.
As I mentioned before is that I haven't played GT since about 2007 when I got into Forza. There is a lot good (and better) about Forza but I miss that utter connection with the cars I drive (for example Nordschleife). I used to drive cars (and motorbikes) on the 'Ring every year for many laps and I loved the feeling in GT4. Forza 5 using that as an excuse to charge me 20 bucks for it is insane. I would love to get back to GT and Sim racing (I also used to race online in GTR and GT Legends when they were still significant) and GT6 sorta just catched my gripe into sedusing me after all these years. Thanks for the offering btw. :)
 
Buy it & love it! To me the faults dwarfs compared to the good stuff. I use the T500 with Ferrari addon and it is insane how the road feel is. If you loved it before, you will again.
 
Buy it & love it! To me the faults dwarfs compared to the good stuff. I use the T500 with Ferrari addon and it is insane how the road feel is. If you loved it before, you will again.

Maybe my "adaption problem" is that I still use a DS3.
 
Maybe my "adaption problem" is that I still use a DS3.

If you get a decent wheel, it will transform your world. Still, the hair stands up in my neck when I really push. The difference is like having sex without two condoms on for the first time :)
 
Last edited:
yeah bro it's definitely worth it.
I played GT1&2 but I was like... 8 haha so I can't say I'm a veteran since I never played GT3&4 since I had an xbox so my first REAL GT was GT5 and sure it was disappointing, but it wasn't BAD by any means.. I still played it almost every day on average.
GT6 is only better than GT5 and I know I'm going to be playing the crap out of it on my T500. I'm not buying a PS4 until GT7 or Project CARS (whichever comes out first) is on it since I'll be busy with GT6
 
If you get a decent wheel, it will transform your world. Still, the hair stands up in neck when I really push. The difference is like having sex without two condoms on for the first time :)


GT6 and then everything else!!!!! I'm rolling :lol:
 
From GT4 to GT6? You're going to hate the handling of the cars. I for one have huge issues keeping my car under control. GT4 it was more about preventing your car from understeering too much. Now i'm just spinning my car over and over again. Maybe the transfer won't be as bad for you seeing you've been playing Forza.
 
I'd say go for it. GT6 evokes the feeling of the older GT games, GT4 in particular. Although people will say "oh it's only menus and menu music, it's not important", I feel as though it is. Both the menus and the physics feels like they have character; the game wants you to go out and try every car, as well as getting you interested in them and discover the nuances of them all. It's the first GT game since GT2 where I find myself buying random cars and re-doing past events and making little changes to them to make them competitive or more engaging to drive. Forza 5 looks and plays fairly nicely but just feels vacant (to me, anyway). GT6 also has the quirky side events like Goodwood, which are good fun in my opinion.
 
From GT4 to GT6? You're going to hate the handling of the cars. I for one have huge issues keeping my car under control. GT4 it was more about preventing your car from understeering too much. Now i'm just spinning my car over and over again. Maybe the transfer won't be as bad for you seeing you've been playing Forza.

So far as I can tell this issue is limited to a handful of MR's far and I believe it will be patched. I've only driven about 30 cars so far on stock tires but none of the other drivetrains seem to be affected by this. For now it's best to avoid the MR's IMO because if it's patched all the work you do on tuning them now will be for naught.
 
Back