A veteran going back to GT after many years worth it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Daddybird
  • 88 comments
  • 5,307 views
This is a GT forum. Of course the majority vote will be to buy the game. What other outcome would you expect, especially when the OP contains the F-word :lol:

Just buy the game and console. It's not like you can't sell them after.

I never really understand why people can't just review the available info themselves and make an informed purchase rather than create threads like this. It isn't a PC build, either you like the format and content of the game or you don't. I like GT planet but would never put $1000 of my hard earned in it's hands. Sorry guys
 
Last edited:
From GT4 to GT6? You're going to hate the handling of the cars. I for one have huge issues keeping my car under control. GT4 it was more about preventing your car from understeering too much. Now i'm just spinning my car over and over again. Maybe the transfer won't be as bad for you seeing you've been playing Forza.
What do you mean about preventing understeer as a sole mean of handling a car in GT4? I never had that experience, but then I never played GT5 but all Forza's except for the last one.

Am I a fool to invest in GT again? As clearly something kept me away from GT5... should I instead invest and buy an XBOXone and enjoy (the limited) Forza 5?
 
Ask yourself what that something was. Then find out if it's in GT6. Simple
Something draw me to it, something made me question it, and something made interested again. What's wrong with that? Plus I'm only asking people who have bought GT6 here, on GTP instead of asking on Gamespot or some other preconceived website. I am trying to excuse spending $1000 and I would love some feedback of people who are not.
 
It's always worth it. I wouldn't pay $60 for a game like The Last of Us for example. They are boring after you complete the story mode. The campaign for GT is very long and enjoyable. There are lots of things to do and lots of credits to earn, cars to collect and mod!

I am loving it so far. That's why I kept my PS3 and will wait to upgrade to 4 next year.

Yeah, GT is the ONLY game I'd pay $60 for. Only one I have paid full price for. The others I wait and scarf off Amazon for under $40.
 
If you've played Forza 4 then get GT6, the handling models are very close in terms of how cars handle but not quite the same. GT6 has it's own feel and coming from GT5 the feel is much better and progressive. I am racing my way through the game on stock vehicle tires as I see no need to upgrade as I can handle the cars with a controller relatively much better than in GT5. The grip slip feeling is immensely conveyed better in this game and you can save the car when the back end steps out, push the car while cornering and not have the on/off grip loss of GT5.
GT6 has nearly every car from GT5 minus a few licensing issues that removed some cars but the game itself is greatly improved from a driving standpoint and the visuals while kind of soft compared to GT5 is much better polished and less prone to tearing.

I have yet to hook up my G25 to play GT6 yet, but I am having so much fun that I want to finish the main game before I go into my zone where I just buy a car tune it and take it out for a spin. Lets talk about tracks, GT6 has so many to choose from and a blast from the past Apricot Hill is back with weather and day night transitions, it's beautiful to witness. GT6 over GT5 any day of the week from simply playing...the car feeling is that much better. Race cars especially the GT3 cars do not handle how a normal street car would, it takes finding the bite as the steering is much heavier feeling that the street versions of a car but at speed those cars are awesome and punishing if you do not focus.

You have 39 courses to play on 1200 cars to whip around in and a community that is about to get an upgrade. I say take the plunge and worry about if it's a good idea or not. Get the game before the wheel and test it out, if you like it then grab the wheel to finish off the transaction. I love the game even with it's teething issues and Sony interference.
 
New tracks are absolutely fantastic. I haven't raced them all yet but just look at Ascari and Willow springs... so beautiful, well done PD. From what I have seen Forza 5 from Twitch streams some tracks look better there, like Laguna Seca. Old versions from previous Gran Turismos don't quite stand up anymore. Well, even the framerate seems to be better on GT6. The online part is now what many wanted: one-races, class restrictions, just more detailed settings everywhere.

Don't know about that 1k$ part 8 )
 
What do you mean about preventing understeer as a sole mean of handling a car in GT4? I never had that experience, but then I never played GT5 but all Forza's except for the last one.

Well, if you can remember, GT4's handling had a lot of understeer when compared to the real world. Unless I really tuned some cars for it I could never get them in a proper drift. GT6 has a lot more oversteer, and cars can really snap back at you.

It's how I see it, but then again, everyone experiences their games differently. Some people are hating GT6 while others love it. In the end you just have to experience it yourself to get your own verdict. All I can safely say is that GT4's handling is nothing like GT6's
 
It all comes down to how much disposable income you have.

I am really enjoying GT6, but I personally wouldn't spend $1000 just to play it.
 
Hello,


But I will buy a Thrustmaster T500 set up for it as well and a PS3 console + the game so it will cost me over $1000 here in Australia! But I miss the realism and the grinding (yeah, I'm old skool).

Is it worth it?
Nope. Not worth it to shell out 1000 for gt6.
My suggestion, just wait for projectCars and GT7. T500 would be cheaper by then or a replacement will arrive.
 
Something draw me to it, something made me question it, and something made interested again. What's wrong with that? Plus I'm only asking people who have bought GT6 here, on GTP instead of asking on Gamespot or some other preconceived website. I am trying to excuse spending $1000 and I would love some feedback of people who are not.


Like the other guy said, we are GT fans. Our opinion is going to be heavily pro GT. Maybe you can post a thread on Gtplanet asking about players near you. Like i said before, offer them something. Maybe a 100$ gift card to let you try their setup. I see threads about livery editor, track editor, car sounds, terrible AI, free roaming, etc......I think, so what. What about the live competition? How is the game when playing against real people? Playing the game with like minded racers is just awesome. You have to manufacturer that intensity when playing against the AI. You have to select the right car, with the appropriate tires in order to have great races against the computer.
 
Hello,



Is it worth it?

Depends how much money and time you have. In the end it's all subjective - Blondes or Redheads? And then there are those Brunettes . . .

I think you will like it. Just a thought.
 
In my opinion, everything depends on how much you plan on playing and how much extra cash you have. I am enjoying GT6 and it can keep you playing for many hours. However, with the PS4 already out and GT7 rumors abound I'd probably pass. In addition to GT7, PS4 will also have Project CARS (which looks very very legit).

I personally would not spend $1000 on the combo of PS3 and Thrustmaster. I'd hold off and spend $1300 on a PS4, Thrustmaster and Project CARS (due out Fall of 2014). Purely because its a new system which will be supported in the future rather than a system that's past its prime. Financially it would be the better option, but this changes from person to person.
 
In my opinion, everything depends on how much you plan on playing and how much extra cash you have.
Can you really plan out ahead how long you'll spend with the game? I had every intention of playing GT6 for months but after only a few days, I'm half way done with the career, getting bored, and trying to figure out what to do to make keeping the T500 worth it.
You can't plan how long you'll lay a game til after you've played it for some time.
 
I stayed between #10 and #40 on the Forza 4 overall circuit leaderboard for it's first year, until Horizon came out. With my CSR Elite I definitely prefer driving GT6 over Forza. Much more fun. You can actually go off track and back on without getting stuck in some magical sticky grass. Lots of reasons to prefer GT6 over Forza 4. Forza 5 is a disaster.

After thinking about it, what I like most about GT6 is the driving dynamics. In FM, the idea is to not break traction. Any sliding will slow you way down. So you have to be real careful when you drive. GT is just the opposite. It's slam, bang and throw that car around for the lead. You can drift and not drop way back. So much more fun.
 
Last edited:
Can you really plan out ahead how long you'll spend with the game? I had every intention of playing GT6 for months but after only a few days, I'm half way done with the career, getting bored, and trying to figure out what to do to make keeping the T500 worth it.
You can't plan how long you'll lay a game til after you've played it for some time.

I was thinking more along the lines of how much time he has to play video games. If life only allows a couple hours a week, I don't see much point in dropping a grand on an aging system. If he has a couple hours a day he could spend playing a game then that may be a different story.
 
Hello,

I used to be a GT maniac, I am someone who bought an original PSX just to play GT and loved the series till the "generation change" that was GT5. I loved GT4, I still think it's the best GT ever, the content was close to absurd and I loved doing laps using my old Thrustmaster (or whatever that official wheel was called back then).

So simply, I didn't buy a PS3 as I bought an XBOX360 to play Forza bacause there was no new GT. Forza was decent but became amazing by the time number 4 came out... but I'm seriously disappointed with Forza 5 for it's lack of content etc. So I am considering GT6!

But I will buy a Thrustmaster T500 set up for it as well and a PS3 console + the game so it will cost me over $1000 here in Australia! But I miss the realism and the grinding (yeah, I'm old skool).

Is it worth it?
Started with GT2 myself and probably among the oldest here. Thoroughly enjoying GT6 even though it is pretty buggy and incomplete. The career mode is an improvement I think and there is enough to keep an old Gold Junkie like me interested for a while.
The real wild card is the online racing. Find yourself a group of like minded racers and the online racing will blow your mind. I can't wait to match it with some mates at Mount Panorama. They've done a great job on the track IMHO. Going across the top of the mountain in the dark has to be experienced to be believed ... it's that good.
You would have to give some thought to a PS4 rather than a PS3 for long term value? I'm in SE Qld so feel free to drop me a PM if I can help with a test drive. Cheers
 
Started with GT2 myself and probably among the oldest here. Thoroughly enjoying GT6 even though it is pretty buggy and incomplete. The career mode is an improvement I think and there is enough to keep an old Gold Junkie like me interested for a while.
The real wild card is the online racing. Find yourself a group of like minded racers and the online racing will blow your mind. I can't wait to match it with some mates at Mount Panorama. They've done a great job on the track IMHO. Going across the top of the mountain in the dark has to be experienced to be believed ... it's that good.
You would have to give some thought to a PS4 rather than a PS3 for long term value? I'm in SE Qld so feel free to drop me a PM if I can help with a test drive. Cheers

Unfortunately I'm in Perth at the moment even though I'm from Brissie...:) It is sorta strange to contemplate to go back to GT after being with FM for so long, but FM5 was not for me with all it's restrictions and lack of content. I know nostalgia is a big player starting off with GT back in 97 but leaving it for Forza in (about) 07. I spent to much time in GT4 I lost a woman over it, maybe that's why I want to play GT6! ;)
 
Unfortunately I'm in Perth at the moment even though I'm from Brissie...:) It is sorta strange to contemplate to go back to GT after being with FM for so long, but FM5 was not for me with all it's restrictions and lack of content. I know nostalgia is a big player starting off with GT back in 97 but leaving it for Forza in (about) 07. I spent to much time in GT4 I lost a woman over it, maybe that's why I want to play GT6! ;)
I was in the same boat. Been exclusively Forza for the past 2+ years. Even have an Xbone sitting in the basement. FM5 failed to deliver.
 
I was in the same boat. Been exclusively Forza for the past 2+ years. Even have an Xbone sitting in the basement. FM5 failed to deliver.

Could you please contemplate? I would love to get a (new, so I don't have any trouble) PS3 and GT6 but I sometimes doubt it because it's (super) old tech and might as well go for the Xbone and FM5 but I don't really like to.
 
What do you mean about preventing understeer as a sole mean of handling a car in GT4? I never had that experience, but then I never played GT5 but all Forza's except for the last one.

Am I a fool to invest in GT again? As clearly something kept me away from GT5... should I instead invest and buy an XBOXone and enjoy (the limited) Forza 5?
I say get it. I liked GT5 at first but got bored of it quickly even with the updates but GT6 brings back that magical feeling of GT4. To me at least, the amount of content is astronomical(and that's accurately simulated as well lol) and the course maker is coming out soon which will be MUCH MUCH better than in GT5 and non existent in Forza. I liked Forza 3 the best, 4 just felt like an add on, and 5 was a huge disappointment.
 
Get a DFGT in case you don't like GT6 that way you won't have to worry about getting rid of your pricey T500.
 
Could you please contemplate? I would love to get a (new, so I don't have any trouble) PS3 and GT6 but I sometimes doubt it because it's (super) old tech and might as well go for the Xbone and FM5 but I don't really like to.
FM had become a money hungry, money pit. The new physics, I feel, seem to be in Chris Harris mode all the time. There's not enough content and from what I read, a few too many issues. Don't ask me what they are exactly cause I have not seen anything forza since the week of release. I gave up on the series. 5.
GT6 is no better, really. I had a really great time the first few hours on that first day. I was sure GT was back and buying it was a great decision. That feeling faded very quickly. I know new things are supposed to come but the problem is, just as with GT5, by the time the new things/fixes came, the game was already out of my headed and there was no looking back.
I will be getting a PS4 sometime next year and giving projectCars a try, and like an idiot, I'll await GT7 cause it'll be the best thing ever~:boggled:
 
You won't be disappointed ... I would suggest a dfgt + playseat...
 
You will like it, it's just depends how much. And don't forget to update this thread once you have played it for a week.
 
worth it? 100% yes :) the positives easily and i mean easily outweigh any negatives for me. And any negatives are likely to be wiped out by future updates
 
As someone that went to FM4 in January and FM5, after GT5 burn out for the 2nd time i'd say no. Spend over $1000 on an upgraded GT5 and a system that has already been replaced, no. Played GT since day one on the PS1, I might have said yes if it was of GT4 game quality but it's not. Just wait for GT7 if FM5 content isn't worthy
 
Man, GT IMO is the best racing game in the industry, there's nothing like GT in terms of content. But I will recommend you to wait until GT7 (1 or 2 years) because I think you, like a Forza player, will feel that GT is bad, and it is not, but I think you won't be happy with the game.

In the other hand, you have in PS3, besides GT, a giant amount of exclusives games that are amazing! So, in that case, it's worth buying a PS3.
 
Back