A veteran going back to GT after many years worth it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Daddybird
  • 88 comments
  • 5,307 views
I wouldnt spend that much just to play GT6.

I bought it yesterday and while its got some new cars, new tracks and slightly improved menu system, it still just feels like the turd that was GT5 has been rolled in glitter and repackaged
 
For me gt6 has the following:

In bumper view you can the hud color.
When going off track you hear rocks in the wheelwell.
You can add in more wheels to more cars.
A few more areo options now, with more to come as well.
New suspension model and tire model. There is a difference in the cars (I see this in the cars with more torque).
Faster loading menus.
More cars in the game. Some previous standards in GT5 are now full premiums.
More cars (maybe tracks too) coming every month.
Additional Features will be added into teh game.
Support (updates) for a least a year, not just a few months and dropped.
Some cars from previous GTs no back in the game. Shelby Daytona Coupe IIRC is one)
Day/Night and weather as well, if you have not touch GT5.

I think it is reasonably to say you should get it.
 
Thanks for all the replies! And they're as mixed as the reviews. :)
Like I said, if I would buy the Thrustmaster I probably wouldn't only use it for GT5 but get back into PC Sim racing again as well. A huge part is also nostalgia as when I saw some Youtube vids of Autumn Ring and Grand Valley felt I almost had to relive my youth!

(I don't really want to say it here as it seems a crime) But my main gripe with GT6 is the engine sounds, I can't believe that after all these years they still haven't gotten that right, but the addition of all those tracks makes it a real stand out, which to me, Forza 5 is not at all.

And if I buy an old PS3 I will also play lots of the exclusives I never got to play, so that's that too.
 
You will use the wheel for other games, man. So the price drops to only gt6 + ps3 console.
In the store I'm working, right now, the price for new PS3 500GB console + The Last of us (I recommend that game, ps3 exclusive) + GT6 anniversary edition is about 280 euro, or ... maybe 300-320 us dollars.
Is it worth it?
For a Gran Turismo game - definitely YES!
Compared to Project Cars? ... Yes, because Project Cars will not be released anytime soon.
It seems you need some fun. Buy it and you will have lots of fun! Holidays coming! ;)
 
This is a GT forum. Of course the majority vote will be to buy the game.
And if this was a FM board, you'll see how many will also say "yes, you should buy it"...

What's good is that the OP is actually being given mixed reviews and impressions, which imo, is very healthy. 👍
 
I enjoyed Forza 3 and 4, but the tail happiness of pretty much all cars always felt over the top for me, and the lack of road feel in the FFB always irritated me. On the other hand, GT5's rigid suspension and early punish-any-sliding tyre model were a bit too far the other way (GT5 recent patches changed the tyre model a lot, it was much better towards the end).

GT6 offers a huge track list (which makes even Forza 4 look barren in comparison, let alone Forza 5!), and physics which are much closer to good PC sims than GT5 or Forza 3/4. The tyre model is nicely progressive, braking and weight transfer is getting very good, and the road feel through the FFB is up there with iRacing (to me at least).

While GT6 has more aliasing and lower res textures than iRacing, pCARS, AC or Forza 5, PD still has the best (most realistic looking) lighting model around. I find that I can bear the aliasing because car replays on GT6 look better than any other game, despite it running on the PS3. And since GT is a car game which includes tracks, that's the way it should be.
 
I don't have too many problems with the graphics not being up to date. I think the sounds are more of an issue, some cars sound reasonable but some just abysmal. And whats up with the GT86, FR-S and BRZ having different engine sounds even though they have the same engine? Seems like PD just picked random engine notes, or just let the computer pick some random once automatically, so weird they do stuff like that.

I love the amount of tracks, one of the things I'm looking forward to! Especially Spa and Bathurst!
 
I don't have too many problems with the graphics not being up to date. I think the sounds are more of an issue, some cars sound reasonable but some just abysmal. And whats up with the GT86, FR-S and BRZ having different engine sounds even though they have the same engine? Seems like PD just picked random engine notes, or just let the computer pick some random once automatically, so weird they do stuff like that.

I love the amount of tracks, one of the things I'm looking forward to! Especially Spa and Bathurst!

Wait till you hear the FXX and Z4 GT3!:sick:

Prepare to be severely disappointed!
 
Depends on what worth it means to you.

The deal with GT is the physics. In GT5 they were AMAZING! In GT6 something seems a little off since the tweak but it is still very enjoyable. Not having played 5 there are probably a TON of new cars for you. 6 only add about 166 new ones over 5. Online racing seems cleaner and that's probably due to the physics tweaks.

However, the game is incomplete in its current form. There are several things missing that were in 5 like B-spec, Race modifications, and so me other things they plan to add via updates down the road. Finally if they don't change the payout structure or make the seasonal payouts higher then you'll either have to seriously grind or shell out for micro transactions to afford a good number of great cars. I calculated it as 636 24 days to make enough to buy 'em all.

RM isn't missing, and it's obvious that the TC took over for RM so any cars that are put in as future DLC will probably be TC/RM and the actual feature in GT auto will still not exist. Why this is an issue for people I have no idea, basically you don't click a few windows and see a garage door go down...

B-spec for what? They basically took away the "endurance" from the endurance racing and thus we don't need it like GT4 and if you like Bobs in GT5 then I can see why you might miss it. However, in regards to the OP which is who counts in this, he didn't say anything about caring for Bobs so I think with it not being there is fine.

The part I agree with and what @Daddybird should pay close attention to, the payouts are horrid still and the financial carry over from GT5 (pre-seasonal inflation payouts) is bad. Thus the micro-transactions that PD have allowed are now obviously being pushed to some degree on those who either have or don't have time, just due to wanting to be able to race fully without having to always grind. If you don't plan to join a GTP series that requires a big time car or you like and have the time to grind, then you'll enjoy GT6. Also micro transaction prices for what you get are horrid, you basically shell out 40 dollars USD for the largest credit amount you can buy at the moment, which is 7 million. Considering that what has changed are car prices somewhat but obviously parts prices have jumped, and thus 7 million doesn't seem all the great, especially when you shell out 2/3rds of what the game cost for that many credits.

I'd say the physics have improved but since I haven't played FM5 I can't tell you how they compare to other games. Compared to GT5 though it's improved, though I'm quite critical of how much. I don't see how anyone can call the easy and unrealistic driving of GT5 better than GT6, since GT6 is actually trying to make car handle correctly and not fully on sim-cade.

Another good thing is the track amount and variations as well as the detail in the tracks being updated or new for new tracks. Hope all this helps @Daddybird
 
RM isn't missing, and it's obvious that the TC took over for RM so any cars that are put in as future DLC will probably be TC/RM and the actual feature in GT auto will still not exist. Why this is an issue for people I have no idea, basically you don't click a few windows and see a garage door go down...

B-spec for what? They basically took away the "endurance" from the endurance racing and thus we don't need it like GT4 and if you like Bobs in GT5 then I can see why you might miss it. However, in regards to the OP which is who counts in this, he didn't say anything about caring for Bobs so I think with it not being there is fine.

The part I agree with and what @Daddybird should pay close attention to, the payouts are horrid still and the financial carry over from GT5 (pre-seasonal inflation payouts) is bad. Thus the micro-transactions that PD have allowed are now obviously being pushed to some degree on those who either have or don't have time, just due to wanting to be able to race fully without having to always grind. If you don't plan to join a GTP series that requires a big time car or you like and have the time to grind, then you'll enjoy GT6. Also micro transaction prices for what you get are horrid, you basically shell out 40 dollars USD for the largest credit amount you can buy at the moment, which is 7 million. Considering that what has changed are car prices somewhat but obviously parts prices have jumped, and thus 7 million doesn't seem all the great, especially when you shell out 2/3rds of what the game cost for that many credits.

I'd say the physics have improved but since I haven't played FM5 I can't tell you how they compare to other games. Compared to GT5 though it's improved, though I'm quite critical of how much. I don't see how anyone can call the easy and unrealistic driving of GT5 better than GT6, since GT6 is actually trying to make car handle correctly and not fully on sim-cade.

Another good thing is the track amount and variations as well as the detail in the tracks being updated or new for new tracks. Hope all this helps @Daddybird

I appreciate your comment and I'm aware of the MT's. But I'm someone who always loved the grind, starting of in a POS and climbing your way to something you always wanted, even thought I find it ridiculous that you can't buy your own first car (seriously!?) that was one of the best aspects of old GT's!
 
I appreciate your comment and I'm aware of the MT's. But I'm someone who always loved the grind, starting of in a POS and climbing your way to something you always wanted, even thought I find it ridiculous that you can't buy your own first car (seriously!?) that was one of the best aspects of old GT's!

Then I think you'll do just fine with the game, I too like to grind and what not but I say what I've said because too many people complain about it and I don't mind so much. What I take issue in is the jump up of parts for cars, when the pay outs should be proportional to what they were in the last games.
 
I don't know, maybe it's because I'm so used to GT5 and always have to remind myself that I'm playing GT6, but I think I know what he means by "a little off". I have now invested more than 24 hours of just free running in GT6 and I still find it somewhat difficult to be a consistent driver. First, braking has become a so delicate affair that it's not always easy to tell whether the car is actually slowing down or not. Second, in addition to gears having a much more profound impact on understeer, I often find myself going too hard into tight corners, even though I feel my entry speed was reasoable. Maybe I just need to practice more but I don't think the physics feel as intuitive as they did in GT5. So, although they may be improved from a realistic point of view, they are kind of hard to adapt to. Eventually, I don't think it should be that way, thus they are a little off.

I find that braking is more car specific in GT6 than it was in GT5. Maybe that is what you call breaking being delicate. And the weight transfer is also more car specific. I like it better. However the game itself doesn't feel as challenging as GT4 or GT5 and I am bummed by the lack of endurance races..
 
If you want to get back into sim racing then getting the fancy pants wheel is a no brainer as you will use it in other games. I would get a 2nd hand or 'store soiled' PS3 and the $67 game from Kmart.

I have never played Forza as the only other racing game I played was Project Gotham 2 10 years ago on the original Xbox. So I have nothing to say in regards to a comparison between the two.
I see you mention the sound a couple of times. IMHO it is a waste of time to worry about it as you will never be able to capture and reproduce the real sound on a console. There is no speaker system I know that can give you that sharp pain in your ears when near a revving F1 car, or anything purpose built for racing for that matter. And Youtube videos are downsampled so you are not even hearing what you'd hear at home on your own console.

Compared to GT4 and GT5 I find the physics quite enjoyable in GT6. The fact that braking and weight transfer seems to be more car specific and understeer doesn't give you a 'skating on ice' feeling are big pluses for me.
 
Hello,

I used to be a GT maniac, I am someone who bought an original PSX just to play GT and loved the series till the "generation change" that was GT5. I loved GT4, I still think it's the best GT ever, the content was close to absurd and I loved doing laps using my old Thrustmaster (or whatever that official wheel was called back then).

So simply, I didn't buy a PS3 as I bought an XBOX360 to play Forza bacause there was no new GT. Forza was decent but became amazing by the time number 4 came out... but I'm seriously disappointed with Forza 5 for it's lack of content etc. So I am considering GT6!

But I will buy a Thrustmaster T500 set up for it as well and a PS3 console + the game so it will cost me over $1000 here in Australia! But I miss the realism and the grinding (yeah, I'm old skool).

Is it worth it?

Kinda similar paths we have taken, apart from I've got the jump on you and got the pS3 last month.

Was it worth, I thought yea but now I've clocked up some time on GT6 since getting it on the 7th I'm not to sure. Considering it's the games 15th Anniversary there's some serious gaming issues that by all acounts have been present in previous versions. I'm beginning to think PD have taken the shortcut in regards to giving the punter a racing sim experience by rectify there mistakes to creating alternative ways to get the end result which just dumb's down the game, an exapmle, AI do not suffer the same consequences us humans do when making errors in the game, touch the grass you can go for a bit of a spin, to the AI it's part of the track with no loss of grip, so the alternative, get them to slow down near the end of the race for you to catch and pass them. There's many more glaring errors available to spoil the game even further and you can see these yourself if you go down the PS3 route.
It's not all doom and gloom, I'd rather be on GT than Forza now that T10 kissed microsofts ass and produced that pee poor game they call Forza 5, people think they have it bad on PS3 with PD's attempts to get your wallet open and more money flowing their way, it's nothing compared to microsoft and T10 and the way they prey on the naive.
 
I see you mention the sound a couple of times. IMHO it is a waste of time to worry about it as you will never be able to capture and reproduce the real sound on a console. There is no speaker system I know that can give you that sharp pain in your ears when near a revving F1 car, or anything purpose built for racing for that matter. And Youtube videos are downsampled so you are not even hearing what you'd hear at home on your own console.
i agree. and to be honest, sounds aren't THAT bad in gt6 anyway.
 
Hello,

I used to be a GT maniac, I am someone who bought an original PSX just to play GT and loved the series till the "generation change" that was GT5. I loved GT4, I still think it's the best GT ever, the content was close to absurd and I loved doing laps using my old Thrustmaster (or whatever that official wheel was called back then).

So simply, I didn't buy a PS3 as I bought an XBOX360 to play Forza bacause there was no new GT. Forza was decent but became amazing by the time number 4 came out... but I'm seriously disappointed with Forza 5 for it's lack of content etc. So I am considering GT6!

But I will buy a Thrustmaster T500 set up for it as well and a PS3 console + the game so it will cost me over $1000 here in Australia! But I miss the realism and the grinding (yeah, I'm old skool).

Is it worth it?


What did you decide?
 
I've been a fan of the series when I first played the demo in department stores and the house of a friend of one of my parents (the friend's son--slightly older than me at the time--had a PS1) at the age of 12 in 1998.

I won a Gran Turismo World Championship in GT3 on my cousin's PS2 between 2001 or 2002, won the GT4 World Championship on my PS2 in 2009 (finished 4th in the 10th and final race after completely dominating the other nine), won the GT5 World Championship in 2010 on my PS3, again two years later, and then the Dream Car Championship.

So basically, like Jimmie Johnson used to be in NASCAR and what Jamie Whincup is now in V8 Supercars, I am a five-time champion of GT when it comes to that prestigious championship in the main mode of play, and looking for my own six-pack if there's a World Championship in GT6 and possibly championship #7 if there's a Dream Car Championship. This is actually my 15th year playing this series--and I'm only 27!

That being said, GT is worth it--even if you're a veteran of the series like I am (Fun fact: When I started, I used to smack the other cars from behind, hit walls repeatedly with other cars, failing to use the brakes and spin out a lot using a Corvette in the demo). I have never gotten tired of this game series. :)
 
Hello,

I used to be a GT maniac, I am someone who bought an original PSX just to play GT and loved the series till the "generation change" that was GT5. I loved GT4, I still think it's the best GT ever, the content was close to absurd and I loved doing laps using my old Thrustmaster (or whatever that official wheel was called back then).

So simply, I didn't buy a PS3 as I bought an XBOX360 to play Forza bacause there was no new GT. Forza was decent but became amazing by the time number 4 came out... but I'm seriously disappointed with Forza 5 for it's lack of content etc. So I am considering GT6!

But I will buy a Thrustmaster T500 set up for it as well and a PS3 console + the game so it will cost me over $1000 here in Australia! But I miss the realism and the grinding (yeah, I'm old skool).

Is it worth it?
+1 to that entire post OP.
I am in the exact same boat. GT 1-4 Forza 1-4 lol.
I can't wait to get back to my GT roots. I have my Turbo-S wheel and CSP's ready and waiting to go too. It's a far cheaper option to go for GT6 for me, a used console and a new game.
T10 have made lots of massive mistakes with F5. I'm going to skip it entirely and see what F6 looks like, but by then it could be too late. The PS4 is looking very attractive to me lately.
 
GT6 offers a huge track list (which makes even Forza 4 look barren in comparison, let alone Forza 5!), and physics which are much closer to good PC sims than GT5 or Forza 3/4. The tyre model is nicely progressive, braking and weight transfer is getting very good, and the road feel through the FFB is up there with iRacing (to me at least).

While GT6 has more aliasing and lower res textures than iRacing, pCARS, AC or Forza 5, PD still has the best (most realistic looking) lighting model around. I find that I can bear the aliasing because car replays on GT6 look better than any other game, despite it running on the PS3. And since GT is a car game which includes tracks, that's the way it should be.
+1

I would add to what all the yaysayers say, that I thought all the small Kei cars were "dinkmobiles" through GT5, even with the better physics in 5.

Well in GT6, I bought that Honda Fit... and loved every race. Took it as far as it would go. Am buying compact cars like they're Supras and Beemers. Turned up the race sounds over the replay music for the first time ever in a racing game.

I think it's safe to say that I'm thoroughly impressed. ;)
 
If you like driving then you will enjoy this title. Its constantly changing with improvements coming regularly. Since it was launched just weeks ago there have been several updates. FREE cars have been added, credits per win have been increased, and a host of other content at no cost to the consumer. I have read that the cars on GT have a feeling of weight that doesn't exist in other sims, except for PC simulators.:dunce:

GT6 reminds of GT4 in some ways. And if you play sim racers for the driving physics, you will be entertained by this game. For someone that hasn't played a GT title for as long as yourself, you would be busy for quite some time.


If you do decide to come back over to GT, use lower PP Cars every time you race and you are guaranteed competitive AI and lots of fun. :bowdown:
 
Last edited:
Hello,

I used to be a GT maniac, I am someone who bought an original PSX just to play GT and loved the series till the "generation change" that was GT5. I loved GT4, I still think it's the best GT ever, the content was close to absurd and I loved doing laps using my old Thrustmaster (or whatever that official wheel was called back then).

So simply, I didn't buy a PS3 as I bought an XBOX360 to play Forza bacause there was no new GT. Forza was decent but became amazing by the time number 4 came out... but I'm seriously disappointed with Forza 5 for it's lack of content etc. So I am considering GT6!

But I will buy a Thrustmaster T500 set up for it as well and a PS3 console + the game so it will cost me over $1000 here in Australia! But I miss the realism and the grinding (yeah, I'm old skool).

Is it worth it?

Yes. Simply yes. Honestly, I've been a fanboy of GT3 but GT6 just totally changed my opinion. It's absolutely superior. It features amazing soundtracks with awesome remixes from GT3 and GT4, and it brings back Apricot Hill from GT3. Then there's the exciting Lunar Roving and Goodwood Festival of Speed. GT6 is the best GT yet. I suggest you buy. It's fun even with a DS3!
 
Kinda similar paths we have taken, apart from I've got the jump on you and got the pS3 last month.

Was it worth, I thought yea but now I've clocked up some time on GT6 since getting it on the 7th I'm not to sure. Considering it's the games 15th Anniversary there's some serious gaming issues that by all acounts have been present in previous versions. I'm beginning to think PD have taken the shortcut in regards to giving the punter a racing sim experience by rectify there mistakes to creating alternative ways to get the end result which just dumb's down the game, an exapmle, AI do not suffer the same consequences us humans do when making errors in the game, touch the grass you can go for a bit of a spin, to the AI it's part of the track with no loss of grip, so the alternative, get them to slow down near the end of the race for you to catch and pass them. There's many more glaring errors available to spoil the game even further and you can see these yourself if you go down the PS3 route.
It's not all doom and gloom, I'd rather be on GT than Forza now that T10 kissed microsofts ass and produced that pee poor game they call Forza 5, people think they have it bad on PS3 with PD's attempts to get your wallet open and more money flowing their way, it's nothing compared to microsoft and T10 and the way they prey on the naive.


Well, well. Mr Handheldbee. How are things?! I recognise your GT from over on .net lol. I was wondering how long it would take for me to bump into other Forza heads that won't entertain F5. What is GT6 like with a wheel man?
 
Well, well. Mr Handheldbee. How are things?! I recognise your GT from over on .net lol. I was wondering how long it would take for me to bump into other Forza heads that won't entertain F5. What is GT6 like with a wheel man?

I was wondering the same so made this thread here As for GT on the wheel, few days to adjust and now just a case of getting upto speed.
 
used to play GT2 before the "generation change" and played lots of NFS before I gained GT4 and got bored because of the background and resumed my NFS career before moving to PS3 and that's where I cut off my engine in NFS and moved to GT plus needed 2 months before finally getting back to my GT senses and right now, im enjoying GT6 because of this and if weren't for GT5 and EA's sudden breakdown, I wouldn't played GT right.
 
I'm also on the same boat about buying a wheel but I would hate to spend the cash in the T500 an not being able to use it with GT7 (2 or so years down the road). Is it realistic to think that GT7 will support the T500?
 
Back