Abandoned cars and barn finds picture thread!!!!!

• Thread starter Cano
  • 2,165 comments
Well, one thing I'm already aware of is how they put 300% import tax on imported cars. A lot of cars have prices that are three times the prices in the US. Say, for the amount of money which can get you a 328i in Indonesia, you can get an M3 in the US.

As for the rest of vehicular import laws that I haven't been remembering off the top of my head...here's a link: http://www.expat.or.id/info/buyingacar.html

A lot of dodgy practices happen in the country, and I won't be too surprised if that thing's been illegally smuggled!

But, if it's true that this is a legitimate RS200, how did the owner disguise its identity on paper as a Sierra Sapphire RS Cosworth? As far as I know, that car was also never marketed in Indonesia. Moreover, how would the papers listing the car as a Sierra Sapphire RS Cosworth be considered valid when they were published by the authorities? Did he or she personally import the Cossie to Indonesia when it was still considered a new car, even though Ford never actually offered that model for sale in the country?

But...well, it's very possible. Maybe the owner had...powerful connections.

Well I'll be, that is an interesting story indeed. It looks like the real thing and that the only thing that changed was the VIN plate and all the *ahem* legal stuff. iirc Ford later on sold the body molods to some company to reproduce the bodies to pretty much exact spec, but they were mounted on anything from Austins to other Fords, so as has been said, it's unexpected for a replica to have suh attention to correctness put into it, when most kits you see of these things are front engined :lol:

Keep us posted @silverman_GT this might be very interesting!

Do you have any other pictures of it? Did you notice if it had the twin front and rear shock absorbers?
Apparently, they do have twin shocks. I'll post pics of them soon.

Well, one thing I'm already aware of is how they put 300% import tax on imported cars. A lot of cars have prices that are three times the prices in the US. Say, for the amount of money which can get you a 328i in Indonesia, you can get an M3 in the US.

As for the rest of vehicular import laws that I haven't been remembering off the top of my head...here's a link: http://www.expat.or.id/info/buyingacar.html

A lot of dodgy practices happen in the country, and I won't be too surprised if that thing's been illegally smuggled!

But, if it's true that this is a legitimate RS200, how did the owner disguise its identity on paper as a Sierra Sapphire RS Cosworth? As far as I know, that car was also never marketed in Indonesia. Moreover, how would the papers listing the car as a Sierra Sapphire RS Cosworth be considered valid when they were published by the authorities? Did he or she personally import the Cossie to Indonesia when it was still considered a new car, even though Ford never actually offered that model for sale in the country?

But...well, it's very possible. Maybe the owner had...powerful connections.
The existance of the Sapphire RS Cossie is unknown, however.

And I might suspect that the owner had connections all over the place....

Apologies for the double post (well, if it counts), but...
Photo 13-12-14 15.58.22.jpg
Photo 13-12-14 15.55.51.jpg
Photo 13-12-14 16.12.33.jpg
Photo 13-12-14 15.56.43.jpg
Photo 13-12-14 15.57.39.jpg
Twin shocks!

Photo 13-12-14 15.59.20.jpg
Torque Split lever!

Photo 13-12-14 15.59.43.jpg
Recaro seats!

Photo 13-12-14 16.02.14.jpg
Photo 13-12-14 16.03.37.jpg
Photo 13-12-14 16.04.09.jpg
Photo 13-12-14 16.09.20.jpg
Photo 13-12-14 16.09.39.jpg
Photo 13-12-14 16.09.54.jpg

This is sure one heck of a Sierra-based RS200 Replica :sly:
Whether you wanted to believe it or not, this RS200 is 1 out of 4 cars that existed in Indonesia!
While the other 3 was shipped back to the UK, this one stays here!

And it's about to get interesting: This RS200 is apparently the Evolution model that can make over 500 HP, but the engine's condition is unknown.

Even more interesting piece of information: Ford Motorsport took 28 RS200s from the 200-vehicle production run and turned them to Evolutions; 25 cars were made LHD, while 3 cars were made RHD.

Last edited:
Other than a few extra RS200 decals and that Ghia badge on the wheel, all the other details point to it being original. Except for that unusual airbox sat on the engine, which i've never seen on any RS200 before.

👍

So, real-deal (possibly Evo) car, transplanted VIN number, then?

Looks that way. With the cover airbox obstructing view, it's impossible to tell if thats the original Cosworth BDT engine or the Sapphire Cosworth's YAA. Which could explain the VIN plate. There appears to be nothing else incorrect in the engine bay and i would have thought a YAA transplant would require at least some modifications, so i'd say it is the original engine.

And now, the real question: is this car really abandoned/neglectyed, or is it just up in stands because the owner doesn't use it much?

And now, the real question: is this car really abandoned/neglectyed, or is it just up in stands because the owner doesn't use it much?

Up on stands with a car cover and cover on the driver's seat say to me that it's not used much but cherished or at least valued. Has plenty of dust on the exposed mechanicals and those brakes haven't been used in some time. So i guess it's not been anywhere under it's own steam for a few years. The car's next to it have changed from the original set of pix. So it's certainly not just been forgotten about in some little used shed.

It's only got 1620 miles on the odometer too!

Damn, I'm still in disbelief that so many people just leave their cars around to dust. I would drive the hell out of a RS200 if I owned one. Though, I would say that about a lot of cars.

Down the street from my new house sitting at a garage..

4th gen Celica GT Liftback. A damn shame, I've had an itch for one of these lately. Even if it's just a GT.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Something I didn't notice from the road...
image.jpg

And this is from quite a while ago at a junkyard.. I really wanna stop since I noticed some other interesting stuff but it's a pretty sketchy place. :lol:
image.jpg

Could probably walk in with 300 bucks and drive out with a Datsun. :P No doubt it's more rusted out then your MR2, but a cool find none the less. 👍

Oh no doubt. :lol: But would be a pretty cool project.

I really wanna go back. I noticed an FB RX7 and a MK3 Supra at that place as well. Some sort of imports junkyard.

I need to explore these places. But as we've discussed that's the dreaded rust belt up there and I'm not sure any of them can be worth a thing.

All the cool stuff is out of state regardless. :(

300SL Gullwing in Cuba

That car is old news, it's just that it has been widespreaded just now in general-car blogs and that crap with these cool night pictures, but the car is well known in the collector car circles, a guy discovered it about ten years ago following leads and stuff:
107413d1353707536-black-friday-cuba-miguel-finds-lost-300sl-gullwing-300slmiguel.jpg

No one has tried to retrieve it though because, well, there is not much to retrieve, it's in Cuba, and the owner likes it well enough as furniture in his garden/patio. And I concur with him, it looks beautiful there.

Back