Abandoned Racetracks

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Johnny1996, Jul 12, 2014.

1. BKGlover

BKGlover

Fuji was initially going to be a NASCAR-style oval until the money ran out. They had Turn 1 built already, so they built off of that. Almost all of Fuji that remains is post-broke, but the corner that killed the Toyota 7 can still be seen.

[​IMG]

Then there is this tidbit...As you probably could guess, NASCAR has run at hundreds of tracks over the years. The series probably hit the first hundred within the first decade truth be told, but there is a story that, if true, could have spelt doom for what we know as Charlotte Motor Speedway. The pic below is of relatively current day Spartanburg Speedway in South Carolina. Legend has it that when Big Bill was looking to plant a superspeedway that would overshadow Daytona, he wanted to build it here, as at the time Spartanburg, not Charlotte, was the center of NASCAR's bigger race teams. The city of Spartanburg, however, denied every motion put in play for the new track. In response, Big Bill went to his list, and found a parcel of land with an airstrip and a town more than willing to do what NASCAR asked. The result, Talladega Superspeedway, and some in Spartanburg are still upset.

[​IMG]

twitcher likes this.
  2. ShiftingGears

ShiftingGears

3. BKGlover

BKGlover

4. SVT Cobra GT

SVT Cobra GT

Fun fact;

If you look at the most recent images of Donington on Google Earth you can see the Top Gear crew filming their track car segment.

James is on the start line in the Caterham.
    Jeremy and Richard are on the straight where the Dunlop bridge used to be.

5. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

Something I found today while doing some research.

I present you with Autodromo Guatemala

This is the first time I've seen a track left like this one has been. Usually I've seen the demolished completely for new purposes or left to rot away back into nature.

Edit: It's not 100% abandoned, but you can see where most of the original layout was.

6. 20832

Of course the Südschleife automatically comes to my mind

MrWednesday, Nish, Liquid and 5 others like this.
  7. JMoney

JMoney

Funny how it's right next to the Pan-American highway, but it was still a failure.

8. Ganon83

Ganon83

Isn't that the track High Speed Ring was based off? And also the first ever track in a video game? (Pole Position).
    That's pretty sad if that's the case.
    North Wilkesboro probably doesn't look that bad now. Smith leased it out to some people a few years ago who cleaned it up and re-opened. It didn't last very long but it has only been closed since 2011.

9. AMPMROCKETFANN

AMPMROCKETFANN

I believe High Speed Ring was in fact sampled from Fuji if I recall. Anyone got pics of Rockingham as it currently sits?

10. Ganon83

Ganon83

No but I don't think the track is closed up yet, the owner just doesn't have any money. And even if it did they just held a Truck race last year

11. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

Rockingham isn't abandoned, just temporarily closed until Andy Hillenburg can get the track the upgrades it desperately needs to be brought back to racing condition.

12. AMPMROCKETFANN

AMPMROCKETFANN

ok gotcha

13. Ganon83

Ganon83

There used to be an old dirt track in Atlanta called Lakewood Speedway, that used to hold races on Labor Day. It was, save for arguably Daytona, the biggest and most important stock car race from about 1938-1941.
    It was notable for being amazingly dangerous- as per the name, there was a giant lake in the infield. Not only that, but the turns were misshapen, so imagine Darlington on dirt with a lake in the middle. It was also used as a filming site for Stroker Ace.
    The track itself no longer exists- the 1st and 2nd turn I believe is now a parking lot, and the front stretch was paved and became a highway. The lake itself is also gone, filled up by man. The only thing still standing today is the creepy grandstands. It's an urban legend that the ghost of Lloyd Seay haunts them- Seay won the 1941 Labor Day race, but ended up dead within 24 hours of it in a moonshine argument with his cousin (The cousin pulled a gun).
    [​IMG]
    After World War 2, the Labor Day race became less of a deal because Atlanta ruled that nobody with criminal records could run in it, which was about 75% of the big stars. That's why NASCAR didn't run there until 1951. After Atlanta Motor Speedway opened up 20 miles away, the track lost its Grand National (AKA Cup) series races and eventually closed down in 1979.

mister dog likes this.
  14. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

The lake was only partially filled in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Blitz24

Blitz24 Premium

It's also used for filming.

An episode of Royal Pains last night featured the Rock.

16. CAMikaze

CAMikaze Premium

And don't forget rFactor. ;) Link to a well-done track mod
    Longschliefe is loooooooooooooooooong. :D

As for my neck of the woods, there used to be 2 tracks in Grantville, PA called Penn National. One of them is a mile oval for horse racing that still exixts today. The other - Penn National Speedway - is but a stones throw away and was a 1/2 mile dirt oval that hosted 358 Modifieds, Street Stock and some USAC races until the end of the 1996 season.
    [​IMG]

Link to a story about the history of Penn National Speedway

Here's a YouTube video I found of some of the racing action that went on there. Enjoy. :D

Spacegoat likes this.
  17. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

Doesn't look like it's too far gone.. at least in that Google Earth image.

18. CAMikaze

CAMikaze Premium

That image was from around 2005. I just used Google Earth here to give you a bit of a before-after comparasion.

PNS1993.jpg

PNS2005.jpg
    2013 - Most recent image available
    PNS2013.jpg

What a difference a few years can make.

GTPorsche likes this.
  19. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

I take it back then. That track is very much gone, even though the evidence of it still shows. Can still see where the dirt paths that crossed into the infield were at. I've noticed that with most of the tracks that have been gone for years, sometimes decades. The Earth might be returned to non-race track condition, but it's almost impossible to hide the evidence that a track was there unless the land is completely developed over it.

Then again, I've seen dirt tracks in Alabama on Google Earth that were inactive for a few months, maybe even a few weeks and they looked like they had been abandoned for years with how bad the dirt looked.

20. NSX_LeMans

NSX_LeMans

Jacarepagua, 2013
    [​IMG]

mister dog likes this.
  21. AMPMROCKETFANN

AMPMROCKETFANN

Not sure if Construction site. Or world's most epic looking rallycross/Short Course/Monster truck track:D:lol::sly::mischievous:

22. Sixflags48

Sixflags48

23. Panoz

Panoz Premium

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too long ago, Reims pit building and grandstand looked like this but now has been repainted and maintained.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mister dog, DK, Brutaka and 1 other person like this.
  24. mustafur

mustafur

Amaroo does that as well(about a 10 min drive from my house).

25. Brutaka

Brutaka

Meadowdale Speedway in Illinois.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ameer67 and IforceV8 like this.
  26. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

Meadowdale looks like this today...

[​IMG]

27. IforceV8

IforceV8

28. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

This thread makes me sad :(

Ben Rogue likes this.
  29. SVT Cobra GT

SVT Cobra GT

[​IMG]

How can we forget Greenwood Roadway?

30. Panoz

Panoz Premium

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ontario Motor Speedway was another victim of urban development like Riverside. The "Indianapolis of the West" hosted nearly all the top racing series in the 1970s including...

Indycar:

[​IMG]

NASCAR:

[​IMG]

NHRA Drag Racing:

[​IMG]

The one-off Questor Grand Prix in 1971 that pitted Formula 1 and Formula 5000 cars against each other:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The site of OMS looks like this today.[​IMG]