Abortion

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 2,584 comments
I've no idea who Don Moynihan is and am autistic, and I can still pick up the huge swaths of sarcasm coming off the reply!

Strikes me that Shapiro is being a tool (again) and Moynihan is taking the piss out of him for it, now not knowing who Moynihan it may mean I'm missing something here.

Edit: Irish bloke who is a professor in the US and focuses on politics and management, it's almost certainly sarcasm.
I genuinely appreciate your reply, and that it used words. In this case, I wouldn't place "wilful ignorance" and "sarcasm" too far from each other. I don't think that I managed to put across my overarching point at all well, though (or even just at all).

It actually takes me back to "covfefe". Trump was a dangerous man and I thought that it was terrible of people to be so fixated on insulting him that they would choose to focus the amount of attention they did, on something so pointless, in order to do that. After a certain amount of that, a person can easily end up being somewhat perceived as a cartoon-like joke and not the dangerous character that they really are. I become frustrated with detractors opting for smart-arse digs over attempting to properly hold people to account. It's fine if all a person wants to do is be part of a "boys club" and circle jerk about their moral superiority, but there are actually people out there (and in here) ready to change their minds on issues and just need a certain bridge for their thinking.

I genuinely appreciate your reply, and that it used words.
This makes your following comment rather backfire!
In this case, I wouldn't place "wilful ignorance" and "sarcasm" too far from each other. I don't think that I managed to put across my overarching point at all well, though (or even just at all).

It actually takes me back to "covfefe". Trump was a dangerous man and I thought that it was terrible of people to be so fixated on insulting him that they would choose to focus the amount of attention they did, on something so pointless, in order to do that. After a certain amount of that, a person can easily end up being somewhat perceived as a cartoon-like joke and not the dangerous character that they really are. I become frustrated with detractors opting for smart-arse digs over attempting to properly hold people to account. It's fine if all a person wants to do is be part of a "boys club" and circle jerk about their moral superiority, but there are actually people out there (and in here) ready to change their minds on issues and just need a certain bridge for their thinking.
You are aware that humour can be used as a weapon, sarcasm in particular, and that the two approaches, humour and well-reasoned critique (which the individual you have focused on does equally) are not mutually exclusive.

This makes your following comment rather backfire!

You are aware that humour can be used as a weapon, sarcasm in particular, and that the two approaches, humour and well-reasoned critique (which the individual you have focused on does equally) are not mutually exclusive.
"Backfire"? You view it that I confounded myself? You seemed to not have explained it and I don't know what you mean.

Of course it can be a weapon, but to what end is what I care more about. Simply posting. say, a laughing gif can also be used as a weapon aiming to generate ridicule - but is ridicule, in and of itself, a worthy aim? Sure, it can be fun to be in a like-minded group and have a laugh at someone else's expense but it will rarely, if ever, achieve anything meaningfully positive. I think it can actually take quite a strong person to not be encouraged to go in the opposite direction to that of those doing the ridiculing when such "tactics" are employed.

"Backfire"? You view it that I confounded myself? You seemed to not have explained it and I don't know what you mean.
You seem to have used an attempt at sarcasm ("that it used words") while simultaneously complaining about its use.
Of course it can be a weapon, but to what end is what I care more about. Simply posting. say, a laughing gif can also be used as a weapon aiming to generate ridicule - but is ridicule, in and of itself, a worthy aim?
Yes, no, and everything in between. Do you honestly believe the answer to that is binary?
Sure, it can be fun to be in a like-minded group and have a laugh at someone else's expense but it will rarely, if ever, achieve anything meaningfully positive. I think it can actually take quite a strong person to not be encouraged to go in the opposite direction to that of those doing the ridiculing when such "tactics" are employed.
That's to miss the point entirely, it's rarely used on its own (and not from the author you aimed it at), well unless you wish to try and isolate critique to a single source, which would be absurd. Nor does it only affect the target alone, but can be used to educate and as a call to action for others.

You seem to have used an attempt at sarcasm ("that it used words") while simultaneously complaining about its use.

Yes, no, and everything in between. Do you honestly believe the answer to that is binary?

That's to miss the point entirely, it's rarely used on its own (and not from the author you aimed it at), well unless you wish to try and isolate critique to a single source, which would be absurd. Nor does it only affect the target alone, but can be used to educate and as a call to action for others.
I was letting you know that I appreciated you bothering to actually use words in your reply, in stark contrast to @TexRex yet again just posting a condescending gif. There was no sarcasm intended and I didn't realise that I would have thrown you off by framing my comment that way. Sorry.

I can't see the Moynihan post producing anything more meaningful then a "hell yeah" from "the converted". The "you make it sound like...." sarcastic component likely only served to make the "remove the ability for others....." serious component less effective in potentially opening the eyes of the "unconverted". That's what I think, anyway.

I was letting you know that I appreciated you bothering to actually use words in your reply, in stark contrast to @TexRex yet again just posting a condescending gif. There was no sarcasm intended and I didn't realise that I would have thrown you off by framing my comment that way. Sorry.
I'm not @TexRex, so it would be better to actually aim comments at the people involved, rather than assume I take an active interest in how other members respond to you!

It is however now clearly sarcasm, it's just passive-aggressively not aimed at me, but was part of a response to me.
I can't see the Moynihan post producing anything more meaningful then a "hell yeah" from "the converted". The "you make it sound like...." sarcastic component likely only served to make the "remove the ability for others....." serious component less effective in potentially opening the eyes of the "unconverted". That's what I think, anyway.
And thanks for effectively ignoring what I did actually say.

Last edited:
In August, a pregnant Missouri woman named Mylissa Farmer suddenly needed an abortion, just over a month after her state enacted its near-total abortion ban. Her water had broken 17 weeks into her pregnancy, and her medical records indicated a number of health factors placing her at greater risk of pregnancy-related complications, including increased risk of sepsis, loss of her uterus, and even death. Farmer is also 41-years-old. Doctors treating her recommended an abortion, but, of course, couldn’t provide her one under state law, reported the Springfield News-Leader.

Farmer and her partner consulted with doctors and experts across several states and made “countless phone calls,” with—in her words—“a baby dying inside me.” They learned there was no way for their wanted pregnancy to be viable or even last another six weeks, since Farmer’s cervix was already open. If she waited it out, she and the fetus could suffer tremendously. “The thing [a doctor] said was, ‘There are things worse than death, and I have seen it,’” Farmer recounted.

Farmer told the newspaper she’s always identified as “pretty pro-life”—but she found herself seeking abortion care, anyway, even calling her state senator’s office to seek help. She didn’t find it.

The office of her state senator, a Republican named Bill White, told her the state ban that was literally jeopardizing her life was actually “designed to protect the woman’s life.” Farmer recalled telling White’s aide, “It’s not protecting me.… There’s no chance for a baby; she’s not going to make it. It’s putting my life in danger.” She continued, “I’m 41, it’s not something I can recover from quickly. I could lose my uterus, there’s a lot of things that could happen. We just want to move on, we just want to grieve.” White’s office promised it would talk to the state’s Attorney General Eric Schmitt on her behalf and then connected Farmer with an anti-abortion crisis pregnancy center in the state. Farmer never heard from White’s staff again.

There are layers to just how unhelpful it sounds like White was, but I’m particularly struck by the callousness and stupidity of trying to direct her to a crisis pregnancy center—these Christian-run “clinics” exist solely to dissuade people from having abortions by pushing lies, and the most help they could possibly offer Farmer is a non-medical pregnancy test and some diapers for her dying fetus—if she attends enough Bible study classes. These “clinics” often don’t even staff actual health care workers, and as such, they’ve increasingly become sites of surveillance—and thus, possible criminalization—for pregnant people, because their notably non-medical staff aren’t subject to the privacy standards set by HIPAA.

That White couldn’t think of any way to help Farmer beyond sending her to a crisis pregnancy center, even as she was already losing her pregnancy (and possibly her life), is as clear a demonstration as any that anti-abortion politicians have no idea how to combat the varying life-threatening ripple effects of their bans. Yet, still, they’d rather ghost constituents in need than do anything to reverse these laws.

After being failed by her predictably unhelpful anti-abortion state senator and the fake clinic to which he referred her, Farmer searched for abortion clinics, struggling to find a clinic in a nearby state where abortion is legal that wasn’t overbooked. With help from an abortion fund, she was connected to a clinic in Illinois, but because of all the delays, by the time she got to the clinic, she was already in labor.

Several days after Farmer learned her pregnancy wasn’t viable and could possibly kill her, she received life-saving abortion care. It was a relief, but it wasn’t easy. Farmer recalled the toll of being confronted by anti-abortion protesters harassing her outside the clinic; she told the newspaper they echoed the sentiments her own friends had expressed to her, “saying we were killing our baby and that we were evil.”

“It was awful, you know? We were just going through so much,” Farmer said. “We didn’t want this ... but at the same time, we had no choice.”

Beyond the trauma of losing a wanted pregnancy and experiencing a serious threat to her life, Farmer and her partner had been shrugged off and dismissed by her state senator, ostracized by her support system, and still had substantial bills to pay and a job to get back to. “If this was a year ago, they could have induced labor and I would have been able to hold her and say goodbye,” Farmer’s partner, Matthew McNeill, told the newspaper.

Their story is one of almost countless post-Roe v. Wade nightmares unfolding across the country recently, between teen girls denied life-saving medications they’ve always taken because they’re childbearing age and the medications could induce miscarriage, and, recently, a Tennessee woman forced to take a costly six-hour ambulance ride across state lines for a life-saving abortion. Pregnant people are being forced to carry skull-less or entirely nonviable fetuses; pregnant child rape victims and cancer patients are being forced to cross state lines for care; and the doctors who try to help them are being threatened with prison time. We may never even know the full toll of these laws, as some reproductive health care providers recently came forward about being prevented by their employers from speaking out publicly.

All wanted abortions are medically necessary, regardless of the circumstances in which you’re seeking care. The laws unilaterally banning care are inflicting indiscriminate, dehumanizing suffering.
Republicans want people to suffer. It's really as simple as that. If you're "pro-life" (which is to say you support prohibitions on abortion access; you're anti-choice), you're expected to make sacrifices and suffer for the cause. If you're pro-choice, you deserve to suffer.

Doctors aren't willing to perform emergency procedures in states that have implemented these laws because a Republican state prosecutor who has no understanding of the circumstances may decide that there wasn't sufficient cause to terminate under the deliberately vague law and subject the doctor to criminal action that's a significant burden even in the absence of a conviction and that which may still result in revocation of the legal right to practice through licensing. The concern is justified as these piece of **** mother****ers hold significant power and their callosity knows no bounds.

@TexRex yet again just posting a condescending gif.
Gifs aren't condescending, peanut. Gifs are just gifs.

Can I be condescending, especially when faced with something deserving of condescension as someone getting pissy that a bad faith argument isn't responded to in good faith and crying "shame"? Eeyup!

Republicans want people to suffer.
A Texas woman said she nearly died from a bacterial infection because doctors could not legally perform an abortion even though the fetus was no longer viable.

Amanda Zurawski was 18 weeks pregnant when she felt abnormal discharge and “what felt like water running down my leg,” People Magazine reported.

Zurawski and her husband, Josh, both 35, soon learned that an incompetent cervix caused her to dilate too early, and miscarriage was inevitable.

“That was horrific,” she told the magazine. “I crumbled.”

The news was devastating for the Austin couple, who had spent 18 months going through fertility treatments before they were able to conceive.

But because Zurawski’s own life was not at risk, doctors could not legally perform an abortion in Texas, which implemented a near-total ban on the procedure following the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade this year.

Zurawski’s story illustrates the difficulties patients and physicians face in miscarriage and maternal health care four months after the Supreme Court’s ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson.

Doctors told Zurawski she would either have to get sick enough for doctors to intervene, or miscarry on her own, the magazine reported.

Three days later, Zurawski did become sick, growing feverish and weak with sepsis, a life-threatening infection. She was taken to the ICU immediately following delivery.

“By the time I was permitted to deliver, a rapidly spreading infection had already claimed my daughter’s life and was in the process of claiming mine,” Zurawski wrote in a first-person essay for The Meteor.

For days, friends and family rushed to her bedside fearing she would die.

Zurawski recovered, but she said she faces long-term implications and will undergo surgery to have scar tissue removed from her uterus.

“We don’t know the extent of that damage,” she told the magazine. “We don’t know if I’m permanently damaged to the point that I can’t carry children, that my eggs are harmed.”

The couple named their late daughter Willow, after the tree known for its strength.

Zurawski said she and her husband plan to have another child.

“We will be parents one way or another,” she said. “I don’t know what that’s going to look like and I don’t know how we’re going to get there, but we will be parents someday.”

The above examples are from states that have a near-total ban on abortion. The ban is near-total because the life of the mother is considered, making them more palatable in theory than total bans, but in practice, the laws are deliberately vague so as to cause doctors to err on the side of not terminating a pregnancy even as it causes harm to patients. The fear of criminal prosecution and destruction of their lives even absent conviction is an understandable one.

Doug Mastriano, the Republican gubernatorial candidate for Pennsylvania, has a plan to address this confusion. It isn't a good plan. He knows it isn't a good plan and so he won't address questions about it because doing so will bring more attention to it and compromise his campaign.

Garbage. On. Parade.

Last edited:
Shapiro refuses to debate Mastriano because the latter insisted on picking Trumpy moderators as he doesn't trust "Shapiro's friends in the MSM". Trumpists insist on using this as a gotcha against Josh but it really isn't and the latter doesn't wreally care as his lead is high.

At this point (and this can be cross-listed with about 3 different threads) nobody should be reaching out to Kanye in regards to his antisemitic statements. He is mentally unwell and needs treatment before even remotely trying to teach him anything.
It's absolutely disgusting in my mind how even Candace Owens is suddenly trying to distance herself from him a bit, even though the stuff he's said is stuff he's learned from her.

It's absolutely disgusting in my mind how even Candace Owens is suddenly trying to distance herself from him a bit, even though the stuff he's said is stuff he's learned from her.
What?! That two-faced bitch.

lol

Miss Lindsey is a mad bitch.

What's he doing in Georgia anyway?

Oh, right, he's pushing an abortion ban at the federal level (because it's only about states' rights when conservatives lack control of federal government, and it's been that way at least since they fought to keep slaves) and Herschel Walker is a vote in support of that effort. It doesn't matter that Walker definitely paid to terminate one pregnancy, very likely ended a relationship because the individual carrying a pregnancy for which he was responsible in part wouldn't have it terminated, and is alleged to have been involved in the termination of another pregnancy. What matters is that he'll be able to take part in denying a right that he opposes only when doing so doesn't affect him.

Meanwhile, Graham is sought to testify before a grand jury in Georgia regarding efforts to subvert the will of the voting public in the 2020 election, and a subpoena affirmed by a federal district court to compel testimony was just temporarily blocked by a Supreme Court Justice whose wife was involved in those very efforts.

Absolute ****ing vermin, the whole lot of them.

Last edited:
Ah.

Screenshot-20221027-225106-Samsung-Internet.jpg

No idea who Robert Coltrain is but he's a **** the the Nth degree.
I gather they're nothing more than some ****wit given on at least one occasion to jerk off right trash commentator Dan McLaughlin.

Derangement defying description.

Maybe Students For Life should study harder. Mifepristone is a potential cure for a bunch of diseases according to this article. All those trials could be halted if they send every doc who prescribes it to jail.
NBC News
Apart from its two FDA-approved uses [for abortion and Cushing's disease], mifepristone is also being investigated in clinical trials for breast cancer, brain cancer, prostate cancer, alcoholism, post-traumatic stress disorder and depression, among other conditions.
On the other hand I think it's adorable that these Karens-in-training's basis for ordering a statewide testing of the water supply is "that Julia Roberts lawyer movie they saw once".

Last edited:
My sister-in-law had an abortion 28 years ago she regrets killing her offspring to this very day and she is also unable to have children naturally due to the trauma caused by the abortion on her reproductive system. Those are a couple of things that those in favor of selective killing never talk about. They'd rather you don't think about those things.
Well that's a poor appeal to emotion if I've ever seen one!

No evidence exists for any of what you claim being the norm at all.

Last edited:
My sister-in-law had an abortion 28 years ago she regrets killing her offspring to this very day and she is also unable to have children naturally due to the trauma caused by the abortion on her reproductive system. Those are a couple of things that those in favor of selective killing never talk about. They'd rather you don't think about those things.
I feel sorry for her....but her case isn't usual regarding fertility following an abortion.

Last edited:
Back