About "clean racing"...

  • Thread starter Thread starter White & Nerdy
  • 39 comments
  • 4,243 views
Overtaking is a skill as well as the driving.
Learn to fool him which side you're going to overtake him from.
 
I think this chatter about the "hopelessly" slow driver in front of you taking up your track is a little pretentious, bro. It seems everyone who has a string of gold time trials from a previous GT thinks they're Mario Andretti. Then they fly around the track on a knife edge and have the nerve to act shocked when things don't go as planned. I understand that there's frustration because the skill levels are all over the chart, but that’s pubbing. This isn't a time trial; it's a race. If he's going that slow, you shouldn't need to hug the apex to pass him. And if you’re truly that gifted, don’t race in pubs expecting something more.

If he's swerving that much to block you, he should be bleeding speed. Back off his tail a bit and some little quick feints should cause him to overshoot the mark and you can swing by.

The same goes for overtaking a reckless driver. There's the hapless noob sliding all over, then there's the skilled player who tried to squeak past him that he collides with. Who is the fool? If he's all over the track, he'll probably go off it in the next curve or so. You should probably let him do so and without using you as a railing.

The biggest problem I have encountered is not the guy ahead of you, but the guy in back. It's the same old issue from the previous versions of the game (in 2p head to head): Players who under break and jam the inside line at a bad angle. Late breaking is one thing, and some incidental contact is to be expected. Not breaking enough and taking a horrible line using someone else’s car to slow yours and keep it on the track is different. I chalk it up to bad habits developed from single player GT more than just pure griefing. The collision penalty usually picks this up. Unfortunately, the victim still gets sent off into the gravel.

There is a flip side to this coin too. Often times you have the "pro" racer who thinks he's in single player. They run super aggressive and occasionally slam right into the back of someone who is playing it safe. These guys are the first to gripe about slower drivers. You are on a track with a bunch of live players, not AI. There's usually a wide range of talent levels and a wide range of cars to choose from, all of which have their strong points and weak points when it comes to acceleration and handling. There is latency in the mix as well. You need to play smarter and race a little more conservatively. If you're in a Zonda R and you're trying to overtake a twelve-year old driving a Veyron in a corner, you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that you won’t be able to drive the line like you're running a qualifying lap.
 
Ah... sorry I slammed the door on you there in my last post, W&N. I guess I misread it. Seems you were trying to shame the rammers by calling out their crappy driving. Just remember theres a difference between the rammers and the guys like me who are just new, clinging to the wheel for dear life. :)
 
Rammers piss me off. Slow drivers, who cares. I was playing online last night. Most of the cars where faster than me so who cares. I was able to keep in 3 or 4th because the other guys where too busy ramming each other. There was this one guy who will slow down and let me pass then to crash me in the entry. What the hell? If you are in front of me, with a more powerful car, why bother? Its like the kids that got tired of playing call of duty, are now playing gran turismo.
 
First of all, I like fairplay.

But if you are fighting for a place, what's wrong with closing the corner?
If somebody behind you is really that good he can find a way to outbrake you or pass you otherwise.

As long you are not intentionelly crashing into somebody I don't see anything wrong with trying to keep you're position.
This. 👍

As long as the cars are the same class, defending your position is just part of racing. However, if your opponent manages to get up beside you and you can't spot him in the mirrors, you should give him room and not push him off track.

If you're in a mixed class race and you're in a slower car you should simply just let the faster car by. For example, in a Super GT race the eventual GT300 cars should let the GT500 cars by.
 
I usually try to get slow blockers to end themselves. Those who block on straights are easy to deal with. I usually get along side them, wait for them to try to drive me into a wall/off the track then back off just enough so the back of their car makes contact with my front. Usually sends them spinning and it is all their own fault.

Much worst than these guys though are the ones who just push past. It really makes me angry when I am stuck behind a slower car waiting for a chance to pass and some idiot just sticks his nose on the inside pushing me wide and taking the place. Takes no skill at all. BUT it IS the recommended tried and trusted passing method of the BTCC... God I was shocked with the standard of driving in that series last time I watched :(
 
I usually try to get slow blockers to end themselves. Those who block on straights are easy to deal with. I usually get along side them, wait for them to try to drive me into a wall/off the track then back off just enough so the back of their car makes contact with my front. Usually sends them spinning and it is all their own fault.

Much worst than these guys though are the ones who just push past. It really makes me angry when I am stuck behind a slower car waiting for a chance to pass and some idiot just sticks his nose on the inside pushing me wide and taking the place. Takes no skill at all. BUT it IS the recommended tried and trusted passing method of the BTCC... God I was shocked with the standard of driving in that series last time I watched :(

Heh ...the self-pwn PIT!

Yeah, jamming yourself in the inside line seems to be the #1 friend maker in the history of GT. I was in The Netherlands a few years back. I was hanging out with a bunch of people one night and somehow an old PS2 got busted out. This guy and I started up some friendly racing. There was a point late in one race where it was close and I saw it coming a mile away. "aaah ...uh huh now ...see...", I said -and we both started cracking up laughing.

Sadly, it's the games own doing. All of these years of "realism" except for damage or penalties has made this the textbook fall back strategy for many a would-be racer. I would never dream of doing it to a person online, and it's a hollow victory in any game mode. I have to confess though, I've done it in single player to save the bacon. Yeah yeah... call me names ...but you remember that 62 lap stock miata race? More than one fender sammich was served up on that day! :D
 
A good measure, is to tune your car in manner that its very fast and easy to maneuver. I've come to notice blockers tend to foucs on their mirrors too much. That's your advantage. Drive a line hard and fast that you know they can't hold on to. As they slide out you dive in. Takes some improvising, but it works for me.
 
Since this has become a kind of bitch session let me let you in on what really irks me. You and another car have been battling it out. Down the straight you barrel, both breaking in unison as you enter the corner. You on the inside, him on the out. You both know it and all is good so far. Then he pulls an outside-inside-outside move on the corner and gets all fired up at you when his car tries to occupy the same space as yours. I drive inside my car (not from above and behind) and I can tell you who is to my outside and my inside at all times. If he was there and now he is not, he is most likely beside you. It seems so basic, but so many drivers subscribe to the "If I can't see it then it ain't there" theory of driving and it really kills some great racing.


Basically, I don't mind hanging back and "learning" my fellow drivers before I make my move. After two corners or so it becomes very apparent who is racing and who is reeking havoc.
 
I think PD should have seen this type of situation coming and implemented some king of drive through penalty option to ward off would be 'cheater' if you like, away from any event with this penalty option activated.
The drive through penalty was a great reasons for my friends and I to drive respectfully towards each other on GT4. I don't know myself if 5 has it because i haven't looked hard enough.
 
Back