ABS exploit with the Mini Cooper S '65 ! ? ...

• Thread starter ROCKET JOE
  • 80 comments
Germany
Ludwigsburg
RocketJoe1-61
I guess the majority of you have been busy with Race B and Race C this week, however, interesting things are going on in Race A, the Mini race on Suzuka East.
If you take a look at the leaderboard, there's a remarkable gap between the top times and the rest of the Top 10. This is due to a bug that seems to be ABS related.
If you watch the respective replays you will notice their ABS light constantly flickering red, on track ( I met one of these drivers ) the cars seem to have a couple of hp more which results in about 6 km/h more down the Suzuka straight for example.

I did a 30 min ABS / BB / ASM settings test but could not replicate the issue. I don't know whether it is car related or event related ... if it's the car though, I think it would be interesting for everyone to know how it works ( and for PD to fix it ) ;) !

I got hope - because it's gtplanet 👍 ...

I haven't done this race or seen any replays of the top times. Could it have anything to do with using the clutch and H-shifter?

I don't think it's got anything to do with shifting ( no proof though ). Remember the Lancer that was way quicker without ABS ? A similar effect to me, certain settings ( obviously ABS related ) add power. Just not that simple as with the Lancer.
:confused:

I don't think it's got anything to do with shifting ( no proof though ). Remember the Lancer that was way quicker without ABS ? A similar effect to me, certain settings ( obviously ABS related ) add power. Just not that simple as with the Lancer.
:confused:

If PD didn't fix the settings to equip the fully customize transmission, it 100% is explained by the clutch and shifter. That's faster by literal seconds, even on a short track like SE

I haven't played this weeks Race A so I'm not sure if you can use it or not.

If PD didn't fix the settings to equip the fully customize transmission, it 100% is explained by the clutch and shifter. That's faster by literal seconds, even on a short track like SE

I haven't played this weeks Race A so I'm not sure if you can use it or not.

You only upshift once per lap from 3rd to 4th - that doesn't give you a couple of tenths imo :) !

You only upshift once per lap from 3rd to 4th - that doesn't give you a couple of tenths imo :) !

Touché, that didn't occur to me.

You're probably onto something with the ABS then, because IIRC a flashing brake symbol means ABS:Weak which nobody on the top uses.

When I first saw it, it was one of the BOCA guys, it looked like he had some fluff in his brake pot. The brake indicator kept flickering on and the abs light was coming on. A squirt of switch cleaner and he'd be even faster. But they're all at it now. The current P1's replay is the same, and he's not BOCA. I have seen replays where it's not happening but they were mid 1:05s. Something's up.

mini1.jpg

I think I can safely say I've cracked it. And that wasn't even a particularly good lap.

I'm thinking that I might do a top 10 time just to get my name up in lights before I tell though.

View attachment 778047

I think I can safely say I've cracked it. And that wasn't even a particularly good lap.

I'm thinking that I might do a top 10 time just to get my name up in lights before I tell though.

You're a beast, Stirling :D ... We're all curious what you found 👍 !

And thanks to @HansDampf for dropping by at the right moment 👍 !

Last edited:
It's very simple and what I first thought was happening. You've got to press the brake pedal just enough to activate abs but not enough to slow you down. A bit of card tucked in front of the brake pedal does the job.

It must be worth half a second at least.

Last edited:
It's very simple and what I first thought was happening. You've got to press the brake pedal just enough to activate abs but not enough to slow you down. A bit of card tucked in front of the brake pedal does the job.

Impressive detective work there Stirling. 👍👍👍

LOL that's great. I don't use pedals - no wheel, no pedals :sly: - will try to squeeze a stamp into my DS4 next time around :lol: ...

Seriously, very good job @StirlingMoose 👍 !

Two more questions come to my mind :
Does it work with the Mini only ?
Will PD fix it or will Mini races be a farce from now on ?

But why/how does having the brake on very slightly make you faster?

I know a top player who always has his brake on a tiny sliver. I've always wondered about it.

I noticed the top half of the La Sarthe leaderboard are also much faster than the rest, using cars other than the Audi R18. I wonder if the same trick is applicable there? There's no replay recorded unfortunately.

I know a top player who always has his brake on a tiny sliver. I've always wondered about it.

I noticed the top half of the La Sarthe leaderboard are also much faster than the rest, using cars other than the Audi R18. I wonder if the same trick is applicable there? There's no replay recorded unfortunately.

It's an interesting question indeed whether the exploit is applicable with another ... or even any car ?

Off topic :
As for La Sarthe, the reason for extremely low laptimes could be some extremely disgraceful shortcutting :yuck: !

It's pretty much accepted that abs does more than just modulate the brakes like it would irl. So by having abs active all the time seems to give more grip/stability.
Is it just the Mini or does it work on all cars and it's just more noticeable with this combo? This could be a can of worms, although if it did offer a significant advantage across the board surely it would have been spotted before now.

hi all, To achieve this "exploit", use the joystick and steering wheel simultaneously. You have to lock the brakes on the throttle as stirling pointed out just to activate the abs but without actually braking. And then go around the normal track with the steering wheel.

When did you guys discover this? The top times are a lot faster than last time we had this combo a few weeks ago.

I'm glad this is out in the open now. I feel sorry for the people that have been doing this race all week not realising they might have been up against opponents with a half second advantage. But at least there is no actual cheating going on. It's possible to do this purely through driving style, just by riding the brake throughout the lap, but it's pretty tricky.

This is an unintended exploit then, people doing this should be banned and thanks to all the cheaters the whole ABS system may have to be altered now to stop this from happening and that is a big change, that will take a while to implement, so this means to compete everyone will now have to cheat, wonderful. :rolleyes:

This is way worse than any of the other glitches if it applies to other cars too, so who's going to report this to PD? @Famine Do you have the correct contacts or know someone who does and/or know if this has been reported already.

Latest Posts

Back