ABS exploit with the Mini Cooper S '65 ! ? ...

• Thread starter ROCKET JOE
  • 80 comments
Yet another disappointing glitch. I commend those who has the time and creativity to find such tricks, but I don't commend cheating without others knowing it. Now that it's out in the open, I propose we just spread the word so everyone can also exploit it and no one gains an advantage (and also bring the issue to PD's attention - though with the way ABS works in GTS, I don't know if it will be a fixable problem).

I mean every racing game will have exploits, but for a game to be FIA certified PD needs to take as much responsibility as possible to eliminate any such issues. Otherwise any online racing you wouldn't know if the other guy is faster because of cheating or actually faster. From SRF in GT6, CSA and now this. When will it ever end?

I opened this thread 'cos me and some fellow racers were curious what had been going on in that Mini event - I'm not sure anymore though whether it's been such a good idea.

... Now that it's out in the open, I propose we just spread the word so everyone can also exploit it and no one gains an advantage ...

No offense meant here @LeGeNd-1, I'm mostly with you, however :
In first, it's impossible to "spread the word" in a way so that the whole playerbase becomes aware of this exploit ... a majority of people will never have the slightest clue but a major disadvantage every now and then.
In second, even at the risk of sounding retarded, what if ... I SIMPLY DO NOT WANT TO USE SUCH AN EXPLOIT :boggled: ? !

In first, it's impossible to "spread the word" in a way so that the whole playerbase becomes aware of this exploit ... a majority of people will never have the slightest clue but a major disadvantage every now and then.
In second, even at the risk of sounding retarded, what if ... I SIMPLY DO NOT WANT TO USE SUCH AN EXPLOIT :boggled: ? !

No offense taken mate. I know it's impossible to spread the word to everyone, but we can try. Tweet this thread to Kaz for example, and GTP should run a front page article which will hopefully get picked up by all other major gaming news outlets. Even if we just reach the top 10% of players that would be preferable. The bottom 90%, well, they don't really have much chance of winning under normal circumstances anyway so it wouldn't matter (sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's reality).

If you don't want to use the exploit, then more power and respect to you 👍 I mean the event is now over anyway, and I feel like this is one of those exploits that are very specific to certain cars/tracks. Personally I'm not one to cheat, and I value clean racing above all else. But just with CSA, is PD doesn't want to equalise the playing field then unfortunately I'll just have to join the "dark side" because the amount of time gained with these exploits are just ridiculous. Getting the 91 wins trophy is already hard enough as it is, we don't need an unequal playing field to further confuse matters.

I think PD will do nothing about this because I suspect it's intrinsic in the ABS system and would need a huge carve up in the code to fix, and it only seems to affect low-powered FF cars on certain tracks anyway. If it provides an advantage in any other events I'm sure we'll find out soon.
However much the word is spread there will always be people who want to do the honorable thing and not use it, because there will be some who are not aware of it, and others in the "if you can't beat them join them" camp. It's a shame that we are put in a position where we have to make that choice.
The other problem here is that it may not be possible for controller users to use this exploit.

I was really enjoying the Mini races. And thought I was improving. But knowing this kind of ruined it for me.

Set a decent qualifying time of 1:06.461 on Wed., other racers times were close, tenth of seconds within each other.

Was away from the PS for a few days and tried again when I got back on Sunday, races were no longer close, top times were 2 seconds faster.

So I guess I am an idiot wasting my time practicing, I should be spending time on the internet searching for exploits.

I opened this thread 'cos me and some fellow racers were curious what had been going on in that Mini event - I'm not sure anymore though whether it's been such a good idea.

OH NO!! It's the QM SRF thing all over again :banghead:.

... and I too won't be using this exploit 👍.

I think PD will do nothing about this because I suspect it's intrinsic in the ABS system and would need a huge carve up in the code to fix, and it only seems to affect low-powered FF cars on certain tracks anyway. If it provides an advantage in any other events I'm sure we'll find out soon.
However much the word is spread there will always be people who want to do the honorable thing and not use it, because there will be some who are not aware of it, and others in the "if you can't beat them join them" camp. It's a shame that we are put in a position where we have to make that choice.
The other problem here is that it may not be possible for controller users to use this exploit.
Yeah I agree. I think it would be near on impossible to fix. There's a method the top guys legitimately use to stabilize their cars through corners (First turn at Suzuka for example) by balancing throttle and brake inputs (often overlapping them) and any fix may very well stuff this right up.

Also, great job with working this out 👍:cheers:

Its not so much about stopping distance but more control under braking. Default give
Honestly I put so much work into those mini races and really putting in time learning lines. I was legit able to get to 1:06.024. Just seeing glitches like this makes me kinda pissed to be honest.
I probably could have been #4-6 place in the America’s Top Ten if it wasn’t for this trick. Like you was did it honestly I’m fine in what I did

I opened this thread 'cos me and some fellow racers were curious what had been going on in that Mini event - I'm not sure anymore though whether it's been

Joe I don’t think this trick can work with a Loadcell Brakes?

OH NO!! It's the QM SRF thing all over again :banghead:. ...

THX FPV MIC ;)

Makes me wonder who I am : Don Quijoete :lol: ... or ROCKET ZORROE :lol::lol: ... or ABSers_ r_LOSers :lol::lol::lol: ?

Ah Gary, thank you for encouraging me 👍 ... although ... tbh I don't even know what a loadcell brake exactly is - I'm a DS4 moron :rolleyes: !

Last edited:
Yeah, I think you could be right there. It would definitely be harder to find the exact amount of pressure that's for sure.

THX FPV MIC ;)

Makes me wonder who I am : Don Quijoete :lol: ... or ROCKET ZORROE :lol::lol: ... or ABSers_ r_LOSers :lol::lol::lol: ?
The 3rd option 👍:lol:... or just write a message for when joining and exiting races. Something along the lines of ''A new exploit has been found'' when entering ,and ''check your replays for flickering ABS light cheats'' when exiting.

Also, I wonder if it's worth reporting to the fella on the Playstation Euro forums (@MasterGT)?

And the difference between loadcell and potentiometer brakes (the cheaper ones) is a loadcell is a far more more realistic method as it measures the pressure applied to the pedal, whereas the potentiometer only measures the distance the pedal is pressed.

Thank you @FPV MIC - got the difference now between P brakes and L brakes 👍.

I'm afraid I'm digging way too deep but anyway, serious question :
Could this ABS exploit be a major thing, what do you think ?

A lot of people said it's been the Mini that sucks without stability, so the benefit is huge using the trick. D'accord ! On the other hand, aren't we talking about racing, about tenths, hundredths, thousandths of seconds that make the difference, about that slightly better exit from the last corner that makes you win ? So even the slightest bit of enhanced grip / stability basically is an advantage.

The GT BOCA guys used an additional DS4 to trigger ABS afaik. I've tested that and a minute of time and a piece of tape is enough - it's quite easy. So everyone with a wheel, no matter the exact equipment, can use this exploit.

Imagine a wheel rig with a hidden DS4 somewhere as your future racing setup :D ...

Thoughts ?

Thank you @FPV MIC - got the difference now between P brakes and L brakes 👍.

I'm afraid I'm digging way too deep but anyway, serious question :
Could this ABS exploit be a major thing, what do you think ?

A lot of people said it's been the Mini that sucks without stability, so the benefit is huge using the trick. D'accord ! On the other hand, aren't we talking about racing, about tenths, hundredths, thousandths of seconds that make the difference, about that slightly better exit from the last corner that makes you win ? So even the slightest bit of enhanced grip / stability basically is an advantage.

The GT BOCA guys used an additional DS4 to trigger ABS afaik. I've tested that and a minute of time and a piece of tape is enough - it's quite easy. So everyone with a wheel, no matter the exact equipment, can use this exploit.

Imagine a wheel rig with a hidden DS4 somewhere as your future racing setup :D ...

Thoughts ?
You're right about the DS4 being able to be used with LC's, I hadn't thought of that :dunce:.

I think that it could very well be a major concern. It's not just the Mini that's unstable, many cars are and also many tracks have specific sections that destabilize cars, where I think (without testing) this method could be of assistance.

Imagine someone turning up to an FIA event and asking for a spare controller and some sticky tape though :dopey:.

A lot of it keeping the car stable and balance. No matter what track or car, down shifting, braking, and accelerating all at the right/exact moment is what I find the hardest part to master lol

It is well known but I tought that has been patched!?!?

Basically people use DS4 for glitching ABS and wheel for driving...

Also here is example on stock car what is the difference between H-Shifter with clutch and paddle-shiffter (or H-Shifter without clutch)
Ghost is clutch

Cheers...

It is well known but I tought that has been patched!?!?

Basically people use DS4 for glitching ABS and wheel for driving...

Also here is example on stock car what is the difference between H-Shifter with clutch and paddle-shiffter (or H-Shifter without clutch)
Ghost is clutch

Cheers...

Unless you have a Fanatec with V3 load cell brakes, then there is an adjuster for brake free play that can be adjusted to cause the glitch.
That's a massive difference with the H shifter, time to get an H pattern shifter I guess

Back