ABS in Gran Turismo series R.I.P (1997-2008)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 155 comments

amar212

GTSurgeons.com
Premium
Croatia
Croatia
Although there are many details that are new in Gran Turismo 5: Prologue Spec II game (available in the eight update in Official Thread https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103447)- while "Spec II" is something that title will get after the PAL (US) game come through mandatory update - detail I've put in the thread title is far the most important physics upgrade so far in the series IMHO.

So, as it says - ABS is R.I.P. Tires/wheels are FINALLY having 100% lock-up when braking and the game is feeling as it have always should in that department.

It's drastic difference compared to all other previous games, as well as all other GT5:P releases. ABS-0 makes drastic lock-out of wheels if brakes are applied too hard in both physics modes - Standard and especially Professional - thus making a car control a brand new challenge for GT series.

Thank you Polyphony Digital, this has been very welcomed.

Although it is not possible to determine mandatory non-usage of ABS for other cars, I see this a very important issue in future Private Races, as well in other similar circumstances.

Notice that ABS will come adjusted to 1 in QTS menu, and switching it off unleashes the new physics model in full glory.

It has been a 10-year wait, and now it's over. Rest in Peace dear ABS, it was nice knowing you.

Good to hear because i like it as difficult a possible. All driving AIDS's off and now even the ABS off.

And in the future it would also be cool to see black smoke coming from the brakes when a wheel locks up.

although I´m really glad the tyres now lock with ABS set to zero I don´t get all the fuzz about the "news", because the option to set ABS to zero in QTS is let´s say 2 weeks old.

Good update again Amar, cheers mate....but i dont understand what you guys are on about.......whats changed? Im really confused...

eeek how we going tell we locked up with no rumble yet!!!!! nice edition though, Now who's going to be brave enough to enter a 16 player online race with no ABS LOL

Ohhhhh burnout time, I await the videos! LOL

yeah I noticed it to, while I was playing with the quick settings, disabling the abs completely will cause locking on many corners. Currently I'm trying it on the high speed ring with the corvette zr06 and even with very delicate braking the tires still lock up when for example (reversed course) at the back end of the stretch you are braking from ~300 to 140 - 150 km/h the tires will lock up for a short moment and the car will loose stability but I really like it that way, it's more challenging for me :D

Just to clarifiy to those who don't quite understand, in the past you could set ABS to 0 this didn't mean it was off it just ment it was set to it's weakest setting and still wouldn't let your brakes actualy lock up, now you can turn the ABS off, stamp on the brakes too hard and the wheels lock up and your just along for the ride!

Although there are many details that are new in Gran Turismo 5: Prologue Spec II game - while "Spec II" is something that title will get after the PAL (US) game come through mandatory update - detail I've put in the thread title is far the most important physics upgrade so far in the series IMHO.

So, as it says - ABS is R.I.P. Tires/wheels in Professional mode (didn't try Standard yet) are FINALLY having 100% lock-up when braking and the game is feeling as it have always should in that department.

Thank you Polyphony Digital, this has been very welcomed.

Although it is not possible to determine mandatory non-usage of ABS for other cars, I see this a very important issue in future Private Races, as well in other similar circumstances.

Notice that ABS will come adjusted to 1 in QTS menu, and switching it off unleashes the new physics model in full glory.

It has been a 10-year wait, and now it's over. Rest in Peace dear ABS, it was nice knowing you.
YES, YES YES!!

Finally, the only thing I really loved about Forza 2 was the lock up ability. It keeps the button mashers at bay, and really lets you use braking in different ways, especially the brake balance controller.

Now, the only thing they need to do, is when you buy the vcd controller, and put it to 100%, it actually has to be 100%. I hated trying to make a 4wd into a rwd drift car and being disappointed.

Does he means that He can turn the ABS off NOW or in some update to come?
I just can't believe it..

By the way, I see many people after week with no ABS turning them back on for Long lasting Races and Time trials ;)
Me personally, Ill keep it off, but from time to time Ill keep it on

Just to clarifiy to those who don't quite understand, in the past you could set ABS to 0 this didn't mean it was off it just ment it was set to it's weakest setting and still wouldn't let your brakes actualy lock up, now you can turn the ABS off, stamp on the brakes too hard and the wheels lock up and your just along for the ride!

exactly that how I understood it too

ura1.gif

Sweet, I took the ABS off my daily driver (saved me again this weekend, got vicously cut off at a toll booth), like it much better. Replays are going to be telling now that we will be able to see lockup. Great news, thanks Amar.

GT5P SPEC II, huh? I kinda like it!

this ads a lot to the realism of the series. an option is always great to have.

still. in most cases (when the car has ABS in real life) this will only make it more masochist/hardcore and not realist, considering that the car was designed to be driven with ABS.

it's fun for a challenge, but unlike TCS and ASM, no ABS will make your lap times slower, so we have to wait and see to find out how many people will be using.

now give me tire temperature and pressure, mechanichal wear and we're set PD :)

No abs actualy makes your lap times faster.....Sounds odd I know but it gives you a little more control and you can brake that little bit later, raceing on F2 ABS on fast laps in F2 ABS off, Get in a room of good drivers online then off with the ABS or your going to be left behind! Acording to Amars post there isn't an off selection, setting abs to 0 turns it off. This was the last hurdle left for GT to take it into the simulator teritory for the purists.

although I´m really glad the tyres now lock with ABS set to zero I don´t get all the fuzz about the "news", because the option to set ABS to zero in QTS is let´s say 2 weeks old.

Let's say that ABS set to "zero" now really means "zero". And difference between "0" and "1" is very HUGE. Also worth noticing is that all Time Trial races (where you can't mess with both QTS or tire-compounds) are obviously driven with ABS1, because there is no drastic lock-up.

And it is very drastic when set to "0" :D

Back