ABS in Gran Turismo series R.I.P (1997-2008)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 155 comments
You do realise if PD read all this those perfectionists will go "oh yeah..." and we'll all be waiting till 2010 for GT5 LOL if that hapens I'm making it known now that it's your fault LOL

YES. this is great for the racers/drifters/rally guys.it adds another level to the physics system and overall realism 👍

(ABS'less race cars. FINNALY)

people can take the ABS system off their cars in real life, most notably on cars from the late 80's and 90's. just think of it as a car modification

yeah, i know, it sounded bad to call "unrealistic". what i mean by that is, most recent cars were made to be driven with ABS on.

its because every option we had, we tried to make GT cars handle as close as possible with their real life counterpart, and turning ABS off would be only making it harder to drive, not necessarily "closer to real life performance". don't know if i made myself clear...

and...

faster without ABS? that's good news, i really didn't thought about it this way. when i thought about ABS off, i thought of a TVR speed 12 without TCS. i theory its faster without it, but to achieve that... well, i will have to wait and try it for myself before jumping into any conclusions.

bottom line is: more options, and closer to reality, that's what matters in th end.

so here we go, full braking test with abs on and off on fuji superspeedway (long stretch good for picking up speed). I encoded the movie with divx 6 and mp3 sound so that everybody even with low spec pc should be able to enjoy this new feature, atm I'm really freaking out and dashing around in the s2000 without abs trying not to lock up the brakes :-) but I am still far away of mastering complete non-locking braking without abs :guilty:

movie download:

abs_action.avi of size 78.068 MB
http://www.filefactory.com/file/13b775/

Much Kudos.......That was great! loved the way the rears locked as the speed finaly came down and lots of smoke too! going to be fun online with all the smoke on that first corner LOL

faster without ABS? that's good news, i really didn't thought about it this way. when i thought about ABS off, i thought of a TVR speed 12 without TCS. i theory its faster without it, but to achieve that... well, i will have to wait and try it for myself before jumping into any conclusions.
A Speed 12 without ABS and TCS is faster, it just requires Yoda like concentration levels to achieve that

A real Speed 12 needs Yoda like concerntration to stop it parking itself up a tree let alone making it go faster it should be confined to the railway tracks.........when they know the've gone too far TVR stick a speed 12 badge on it LOL

ok? all im saying is that its unnecessary. its one of those things you decide on before the race, not during.

I understand, and agree, unless we are talking about running long races where pace control and tire management come in to play-I'd like to have it there. My post wasn't meant to sound so harsh, sorry. I was thinking more of GT5 in general, race cars and such. It's not a bad thing to want to use cars as built and sold to consumers. It certainly matches the realistic visuals, the whole thing looks like a never-ending test drive from heaven (my heaven, anyway), all the cars at your fingertips, no salesman along for the ride.

Mine should be here in about a week. The wait is starting to get to me.

If they took out the ABS system they should make gaming steering wheels with decent pedals, not the ones DFP and MOMO have and I'm talking about the new GT wheel. Those old DFP and MOMO pedals are a joke, pain and fear to push cause there's nor resistance when you apply your foot like in a real car. In this case it's very easy to lock brakes and not even understand how you did it, other than calculate the pedal travel, but you cannot feel it. I heard the G25 is much better with pedals, is that right?

common problem this, you can beef up the spring in the brake pedal on most wheels on the market or even a peice of foam behind the pedal, I think the G25 is better than most but still has a similar "dead" feel to the pedals.

If they took out the ABS system they should make gaming steering wheels with decent pedals, not the ones DFP and MOMO have and I'm talking about the new GT wheel. Those old DFP and MOMO pedals are a joke, pain and fear to push cause there's nor resistance when you apply your foot like in a real car. In this case it's very easy to lock brakes and not even understand how you did it, other than calculate the pedal travel, but you cannot feel it. I heard the G25 is much better with pedals, is that right?

G25, Night and day. Thats all I can say.

IMO, all 'aids' are for soccer moms in mini vans & fat cats in Escalades too busy to do their own 'driving', relying on software to make up for their lack of skill & attention. My RL mustang has no 'aids' & I don't use any in Prologue so this is great news to me. Any 'aids' are just a crutch for lack of skill.

I think In real world its good to have aids, skilled driver or not, I'm not making fun of it.
But yes In GT5P I have my AIDS off, now with no ABS, I will have that OFF as well.

so here we go, full braking test with abs on and off on fuji superspeedway (long stretch good for picking up speed). I encoded the movie with divx 6 and mp3 sound so that everybody even with low spec pc should be able to enjoy this new feature, atm I'm really freaking out and dashing around in the s2000 without abs trying not to lock up the brakes :-) but I am still far away of mastering complete non-locking braking without abs :guilty:

movie download:

abs_action.avi of size 78.068 MB
http://www.filefactory.com/file/13b775/

I just seen video, No audio at school, but looks great :)
I love that at first Wheels dont lock up, and REAR wheels takes a while to lock up, GREAT!

IMO, all 'aids' are for soccer moms in mini vans & fat cats in Escalades too busy to do their own 'driving', relying on software to make up for their lack of skill & attention. My RL mustang has no 'aids' & I don't use any in Prologue so this is great news to me. Any 'aids' are just a crutch for lack of skill.

Don't let any GT-R fans hear you saying that...

Sidenote: I'm guessing you drive an 05+ V6 Mustang (245 = 4.0, no aids = V6 doesn't have TCS).

A real Speed 12 needs Yoda like concerntration to stop it parking itself up a tree let alone making it go faster it should be confined to the railway tracks.........when they know the've gone too far TVR stick a speed 12 badge on it LOL
Evo test drove the Speed 12 a couple of years ago, you can give it full throttle if you're progressive with the thottle, but even then it took several laps of Silverstone before the tester got the confidence to do it and I tihnk he was in 4th. He was spinning the wheels in 3rd and 4th irc on the first laps. Speed 12 = Unmatched mentalness.

Have I understud this right,if ABS to 0,you cant change it to 1 or 2 from your new DF GT wheel,cause it can be changed only from the main menu?And DF GT only goes from 1-10 on ABS?

Have I understud this right,if ABS to 0,you cant change it to 1 or 2 from your new DF GT wheel,cause it can be changed only from the main menu?And DF GT only goes from 1-10 on ABS?

No you can disable it during the race from 0 - 10 so you can completely disable it (0) or activate it on the weakest setting (1) and so on..

Wait a minute you change your cars setting during a race? That is ****ing retarded!! lmfao...

you can't change everything during the race. Most of things have to be done in quick tune before you start the race, like damper settings, ride height etc. only a few things which also in real life can be adjusted from the cockpit of the race car, can be adjusted with the new "quickset" buttons on the new dfp like TCS, ABS, brake balance and 4wd torque split. So I think it's not retarded, it's just puts more emphasis on being a real simulator. In the end it says: Gran Turismo - The Real driving Simulator

Real life has tire marks on the road when do a burnout or spin the tires excessively......

Being able to switch on different levels of ABS during a race will give you a huge advantage in lap times. Knowing wich corners to have higher levels of ABS etc...

Oh and don't forget to put on that TCS when a sharp corner comes up and it requires you to slow down a lot and accelerate very fast with a RWD car. Ya seems pretty retarded that you can do that during a race real life or not...

I forgot to add I didn't know you could adjust these things in a stock car in real life (race car maybe). So if im driving a real honda integra I can adjust my ABS and TCS level in real life? how do you do that?....

Numer0bis thanks a lot for the video it was great can anyone else post any other videos
i found the video very interesting especially when i saw the car that lock up and it still stop early than the one with the abs
did u break the same time and were u going at the same speed Numer0bis or anyone else?

Numer0bis thanks a lot for the video it was great can anyone else post any other videos
i found the video very interesting especially when i saw the car that lock up and it still stop early than the one with the abs
did u break the same time and were u going at the same speed Numer0bis or anyone else?

Yes I was going at the same speed, and I the breaking was about the same. It probably due to the R3 Racing tires that although lock up occurred the distance was not longer. With any other tire choice I would say that the braking distance in such a test (just full breaking) the distance would get longer without the abs.

Greetz Numer0bis

p.s. It's late here again so I won't respond to any questions regarding the video, but you all have amar which probably is much bigger help than me :-)

Real life has tire marks on the road when do a burnout or spin the tires excessively......

Being able to switch on different levels of ABS during a race will give you a huge advantage in lap times. Knowing wich corners to have higher levels of ABS etc...

Oh and don't forget to put on that TCS when a sharp corner comes up and it requires you to slow down a lot and accelerate very fast with a RWD car. Ya seems pretty retarded that you can do that during a race real life or not...

I forgot to add I didn't know you could adjust these things in a stock car in real life (race car maybe). So if im driving a real honda integra I can adjust my ABS and TCS level in real life? how do you do that?....

What if Rain come up? GT5 plans to implement that.. its a great feature :)

what if your TIRES wear down in endurance race? and you plan to do 2 more laps, then you turn your traction controls on..

Yes I understand you can turn TCS off or on in a real life car but I did not know you could change levels of TCS or even turn off ABS while your driving a car in real life (as numer0bis says you can do these things in real life). Oh and brake balance can be changed in a car? How the heck (or where the heck) are these options in cars these days? Ive never seen them before (i must be blind lol)

Heh this is gonna make driving something thats already twitchy very intense, especially in race conditions when someone is pressuring you.

I hope in the future private arenas the host could personalize every option. I mean, he can turn off aids, abs, tcs, set the tires, the driving mode, so everyone drive in the same conditions.

If you can't adjust TCS in real life cars it's because there's no need in it, most of the time you won't drive hard in real life a sports car even if you want to, real life in not a race track, you've got to be aware of everything going around. TCS and so on are just matters of electronics so of cource it's possible to adjust them at a press of a button during the drive, even in a real life car that is possible, it's another matter that they are not there. Besides I think in a real F1 car you can infact adjust TCS in real time, or turn it on/off, at last I heard so somewhile back. You can also do this in all PC games, GTR, GTR2 etc, there are options- low TC, High TC and TC off, all real time adjustable.

Back