Adjustable Camera Views (Position, FOV)

• Thread starter DonZonda
  • 120 comments
if my brain doesn't fool me, it remembers that there was three chase cams on the first opus of GT
i don't like chase cam but arguments of peoples who loves it like DonZonda are really good arguments
i always prefered the bumper cam because
i feel like it like i'm hightower in police academy when he removed the front seat for the driving test
i feel far from the wheel but the view angle is like my face is sticked on the glass with the POV of a dwarf
in most car, due to my high, i always see the car front cover (hood, bonnet)

I suffered with GT3 as long as necessary, and hated that I couldn't back up to see more of the track. This view limits the view, and makes it so seeing down the track is going to be harder.

Also, if you have ever used the "Espace F-1" in GT2, you understand why this is such a headache. That car (admittedly, I had a 13" display at the time) took up almost 3/4 of the view, so just SEEING the track was difficult!

I'll have to pull that out and try it on my larger screen..... ;)

Own Adjustment or a second chasecam would be just fine. And easy to implement for PD.
In that way people can play the game how they prefer it. Some people could put the chasecam even further back to have extremely small car if there are people who like it.

Customnization is the key. And as easy it is to move the camera angle with the Photomode, as easy it should be to set and fix the view you like for the gameplay.

It's just that.

The FOV is just way too narrow for a single screen set up. When I sit closer to my big TV I feel almost like not moving at all even going at high speeds because it feels extremely zoomed in and objects just seem to come closer but not really pass me because the FOV is so narrow that it cuts the objects before they pass me. A tripple screen set up would solve this. But I won't be buying 2 more PS3s and GT's and TV's just for something which can be adressed so simple with an adjustment.

@FordMKIVJ5 well GT has by far the most narrow FOV of all sims out there with the badest speed sensation, people who would like it a little faster could just adjust their FOV for their own enjoyment. People who want to keep it as it is can do it aswell. This way everybody can enjoy the way they'd like to play. To each their personal best experience. And not forced.

I want to make up another point.

Strange Camera Positions, please take note PD and think about it.

Some of the worst examples taken here. Misplaced Chasecams. Why are the chasecams so far away from the cars? Floating somewhere high in the air. Making the high detailed cars useless in gameplay since the details arent much noticeable.

So I adjusted the chasecams for these two cars in photomode. Above picture is the default chasecam, below picture the one adjusted by myself with own preference.I Set the camera lower and closer to the car. Notice how much more of details you can see on your premium car.
So why no second close Chasecam? Or why don't let us adjust it PD???

64927,slrUP6C3.jpg
64928,camaroYWNC5.jpg

Those adjusted camera angles send tingles down my spine! :D Nice job!

Those adjusted camera angles send tingles down my spine! :D Nice job!

Thanks! Well just hope we get more attention here and more likes. Sure everybody would like that to be included :)

The most annoying thing is that most of these options are already in the game, but just for people with triple screens. It seems beyond all reason that PD won't let the vast majority of players have access to them, but do allow a tiny minority to.

:rolleyes::boggled::confused:

Last edited:
Thats true the FOV adjustment is there, but only for tripple screen users... POV isn't available. But anyways the extremely narrow FOV on a single screen should be adjustable too! Just unlock it PD...

Does anyone know to upload onto GTPlanet with Flickr? Not having much success and I really wanna show my FOVs

did you already upload your picture on flickr?

Yeah I did but I can't get it to show when I use the Insert Image option here

EDIT: I have the code set to link and nothing. Just shows a broken image here

Last edited:
When you click on the picture, and when there is not this slideshow thing. Like when you click on download, then go to the infos with right mouse click and use the imagine URL. It should have .jpg in the end.

It worked for me. I just tried it out.

Here a pic from Flickr.

12243030974_7ae505cfe4_b.jpg

Customization is the key. And as easy it is to move the camera angle with the Photomode, as easy it should be to set and fix the view you like for the gameplay.

It's just that.
It is. 👍

Some have gone nuts when they see a car with a hood cam. Others like me, can't really race without a good roof cam view. And as with the photoshooters above, many people want to edit their views further, I do. While my "views" post is quite tedious, I'd love to see something like it. Just something.

Please, Kaz, be nice to us and help us out.

Very nice views. Of course I'd like to adjust them some. :P

And I thought I'd reiterate something from other posts: camera shake options for the car, and driver separately when in cockpit view. Being able to add in a certain amount of camera shake to suit you, and jarring effects with collisions, would add a lot to the immersion and sense of taking a racing machine around a track fast.

Camera shake from chase cam probably isn't that valid, but for those who want the option, why not?

Beautiful chase cams right there! I agree @Tenacious D there is alot of immersion missing, also the shake in GT6 is just wrong. The view should keep steady and the Dashboard should move, just like the head would move in the car and the eyes keep steady on the track. The problem in GT is that there arent really Movments up/down left/right. You go fast into a corner the view starts to shake like the drivers eyes start to go crazy... For example when you go on LaSarthe at high speeds you should have alot of bounce movements inside the cockpit. But what you get is that you see the car hops up and down a little over the bumps.
I fees so unnatural I just hate it, I'd love to disable it until they put a proper head movement. Also the camera being a little lose in roof and hood cam wouldnt be too bad to actually get a sense of the G-Forces aswell as bumps.
The Problem for me is that the views in GT6 dont give me the feel of driving the car more like floating over the asphalt eventhough the physics do very well when I watch replays of the car bouncing around and suspension working hard.
The visual feedback of those movements is just not there. :(

I seem to be vying with Johnnypenso to be the Option King. ;) PD really should patch in these options to GT6, as I can't imagine it could be all that much work. Some decent camera shake was in GT5 early on, at least with cockpit view. But as DonZonda says, it's either not there, barely there or a little oddly done in GT6.

Some people prefer roof cam, some still go nuts over hood cam when they discover it. It's mostly the same view of the road as bumper cam with some car at the bottom, but for some people it makes all the difference in the world.

Most people want a floating chase cam, some like it locked to the car for a more "driver perspective with a broad view" kind of thing. I got used to it so I kind of prefer it myself.

It wouldn't be all that much work to accommodate us with something even as feature rich as my suggestion in this thread. But even if PD didn't let us position the camera like I really want in GT6, some camera shake options would be a nice addition.

I like examples. In the case of Gran Turismo's cockpit view, a number of us really like it just as it is. But some of us really want to mess with it. In my case, every car I've driven has had a view of the road that's higher. The horizon has been near the bottom of the rear view mirror, and the view of everything looks closer to the windshield. I know this is psychological, but the way we perceive that view changes when we begin driving, and I want to accommodate for that by moving the driver cam up and forward till I can just see the rear view mirrors.

And I have to echo the posts of those who are annoyed by having the steering wheel and a pair of hands on it clearly visible. Not only is there a bit of animation lag which makes it seem weird to those of us with wheel controllers, but having two visible steering wheels is weird itself. I'd like the option to have it vanish, and with my forward view, so that the dash was just visible, it would look great. And of course those camera shake options I want.

As Johnnypenso says, options, options, options.

Camera shake in GT would be nice. Like when you go over rumble strips, bumps and yumps on the tracks etc. Even the helmet cam being a bit more fluid with the car would be nice.

Shift 2 had these but I felt that they were overdone, especially the camera shake.

Personally I like the GT6 Helmet in the sense of being able to see the road but sometimes I'd like it to be a bit lower.
Case in point is the WRX STI Hawkeye Spec C. In the game you sit SO HIGH whereas sitting in a real life hawkeye it's not that high.

Then again, Options. Like the KFC menu

Same goes for the Civic EK9, it feels like the drivers head it attached to the roof of the cockpit. Since I own a Civic myself I know that it doesnt look like that.

PD gives us the OPTIONS !!!!!

Less Forcing more Freedom of play! :D

Back