Adjustable Camera Views (Position, FOV)

• Thread starter DonZonda
  • 120 comments
It was added in an update, you could use those options even if you only had one screen, then those options were taken away with another update. Not taken out of the game but restricted for actual multi-screen setups and it remains that way unless you activate the secret menu.

Without it, you can only make it narrower.

It was added in an update, you could use those options even if you only had one screen, then those options were taken away with another update. Not taken out of the game but restricted for actual multi-screen setups and it remains that way unless you activate the secret menu.

Without it, you can only make it narrower.

Exactly, thats how it was! I wonder why they removed it though... strange decisions all over...

Today I realized again that there are even differences between Premium and Standart cars. I used the SLR McLaren Premium usually. Now I used the Standart and.... the cameras are placed way better than on the Premium model?!

WHY?!

Along with that, there are a number of cars with a hood cam, which look almost the same as bumper cam. Like... what the hell is that for! Two locations with almost the exact same view?? Why, PD?

Please give us options for this. It's pretty obvious that a lot of us don't like your view choices.

Along with that, there are a number of cars with a hood cam, which look almost the same as bumper cam. Like... what the hell is that for! Two locations with almost the exact same view?? Why, PD?

Please give us options for this. It's pretty obvious that a lot of us don't like your view choices.

There are cars which have a lower Hood cam than the actual "bumper/windshieldcam". Such as the '07 WRX Sti. or the Jaguar XKR. Those have wider FOV and its closer to the road than the other view. strange...

Not sure it's been mentioned, but a "look to the apex" feature is becoming more popular in racing sims. For those of you that aren't sure here's a demo. Notice how the camera view moves slightly to the apex at each corner. This is fully adjustable as well in most PC sims, no reason we can't have it in the GT series.

Last edited:

j
Not speaking of your point about needing/wanting FOV/POV customization...

but the reasy why they put in the duplicate views for cars where there is the blacked out interior was because people complained that those cars didn't have an interior at all. To me, it's ridiculously stupid to put a blacked out interior and block out most of the view of the bumper cam but that is precisely what people complaind and asked for. So, we do need to be careful of what we wish.

POV/FOV adjustment aswell as a rotateable camera are highly requested it adds another gameplay experience and also Highlights the premium model in new ways.

So glad someone bumped this so I could like it. Seeing as how I primarily drive in cockpit view, this is a fairly big deal.

Not sure it's been mentioned, but a "look to the apex" feature is becoming more popular in racing sims.

I suppose you could say they've had it before in the form of head tracking in GT5 and the ability to pan left and right in cockpit view in GT5 and 6, but yes I know what you mean. The thing is in GT5/6, the driver's animations actually do this, they physically look towards the apex, so just need to map the cockpit camera to the driver's eye view and apply a few tweaks.

cWe Need just more freedom regarding the camera views.
The Problem is that they seem to have no Kind of rule or something wether they put cameras Close to the Dashboard or far away, or high or down. Like the Civic EK. I own one and like to drive with it also in GT6. But the Cockpit Position is really annoying because in reallife you sit really low. in GT6 with your head on the Roof or something....

Also the decision wether they put a Hood or Roof cam is strange. Some cars have a camera somewhere Floating above the car that you can barely see the Hood. others have a camera placed even lower than the "bumper" cam such as the Premium WRX Sti or Jaguar XKR.

Some chase cams are far away from the car like the Premium Camaro which makes it look like a Toy car. Some are Close such as the Toyota GT86. Also there differences in FOV.
The Skyline R32 has a Hood cam with extremely wide FOV which gives you a crazy sense of Speed, then you switch to the bumper cam and feel like playing in slow Motion. There are also other cars who have that Problem like the Silvia.

Furthermore why can't we rotate the camera with the right Analogstick around the car?
We have high detailed premium cars which can't be adored during time trails. The chasecam has also a very narrow FOV which kills the sense of Speed completely and feels very zoomed in. Just try it, Switch between all the cameras and take a reference Point in the distance the Cockpit zooms it out the chasecam extremely in.

Also we Need an Option to set the chasecam lose or stiff. GT3 also GTPSP have a nice lose chasecam. Shouldnt be a Problem to give us 2 Options to Chose from right?

So basically the Solution of everything would be camera adjustments.

Set your own camera view adjust the FOV and enjoy the car as you like to.

Small example from me when I was using the secret Menu in GT5.

Above the regular roofcam of the Nissan GT-R
Below my custom roofcam.

61081,1559KU9.jpg

61082,16W8R77.jpg

feels actually connected to the car and not Floating above.

Last edited:
This sounds like a useful feature. Something I recall seeing in the first Colin McRae: Dirt was the ability to enable or disable certain cameras, so if you didn't like a particular viewpoint, you could disable it, narrowing down the time it takes to scroll through the camera views. First thing I'd do with a GT game is disable the interior view of standard cars ;)

Combine this with the feature suggested here, and the possibilities would be endless :)

In terms of the Chase Cam, I'd like it to be more fluid and closer to the car like in GT3 and GT4. In the newer GTs it feels too stiff and far away but that's just me. It feels so unnatural

In terms of the Chase Cam, I'd like it to be more fluid and closer to the car like in GT3 and GT4. In the newer GTs it feels too stiff and far away but that's just me. It feels so unnatural

I second that, it's way too far away and high in the air makes the car look small. Also a cloer chasecam would give more details to the premium cars.
Another problem is the extremely narrow FOV in chasecam which kills the sense of speed.

There were two types of chase cameras in GT2, right? That's something that would be really useful in GT7. One camera could be close up, the other could be further away. I was honestly surprised that GT5 and GT6 didn't have two. They're not exactly hard to program.

I like the high camera, and that it follows the car quite closely. A LITTLE looser could be good, but..... (shrug) Personal preference.

I'd love an proper FOV adjustment so I could set the proper FOV for my setup. However the problem is that most people will use FOVs that are far too wide as it gives them 'a sense of speed'. It makes the view completely fish-eyed so that everything comes up on you extremely quickly, but who cares when it gives you 'a sense of speed'. :rolleyes:

The FOV is just way too narrow for a single screen set up. When I sit closer to my big TV I feel almost like not moving at all even going at high speeds because it feels extremely zoomed in and objects just seem to come closer but not really pass me because the FOV is so narrow that it cuts the objects before they pass me. A tripple screen set up would solve this. But I won't be buying 2 more PS3s and GT's and TV's just for something which can be adressed so simple with an adjustment.

@FordMKIVJ5 well GT has by far the most narrow FOV of all sims out there with the badest speed sensation, people who would like it a little faster could just adjust their FOV for their own enjoyment. People who want to keep it as it is can do it aswell. This way everybody can enjoy the way they'd like to play. To each their personal best experience. And not forced.

I want to make up another point.

Strange Camera Positions, please take note PD and think about it.

Some of the worst examples taken here. Misplaced Chasecams. Why are the chasecams so far away from the cars? Floating somewhere high in the air. Making the high detailed cars useless in gameplay since the details arent much noticeable.

So I adjusted the chasecams for these two cars in photomode. Above picture is the default chasecam, below picture the one adjusted by myself with own preference.I Set the camera lower and closer to the car. Notice how much more of details you can see on your premium car.
So why no second close Chasecam? Or why don't let us adjust it PD???

64927,slrUP6C3.jpg
64928,camaroYWNC5.jpg

The FOV is just way too narrow for a single screen set up. When I sit closer to my big TV I feel almost like not moving at all even going at high speeds because it feels extremely zoomed in and objects just seem to come closer but not really pass me because the FOV is so narrow that it cuts the objects before they pass me. A tripple screen set up would solve this. But I won't be buying 2 more PS3s and GT's and TV's just for something which can be adressed so simple with an adjustment.

@FordMKIVJ5 well GT has by far the most narrow FOV of all sims out there with the badest speed sensation, people who would like it a little faster could just adjust their FOV for their own enjoyment. People who want to keep it as it is can do it aswell. This way everybody can enjoy the way they'd like to play. To each their personal best experience. And not forced.

I want to make up another point.

Strange Camera Positions, please take note PD and think about it.

Some of the worst examples taken here. Misplaced Chasecams. Why are the chasecams so far away from the cars? Floating somewhere high in the air. Making the high detailed cars useless in gameplay since the details arent much noticeable.

So I adjusted the chasecams for these two cars in photomode. Above picture is the default chasecam, below picture the one adjusted by myself with own preference.I Set the camera lower and closer to the car. Notice how much more of details you can see on your premium car.
So why no second close Chasecam? Or why don't let us adjust it PD???

64927,slrUP6C3.jpg
64928,camaroYWNC5.jpg

You've hit the nail on the coffin with that post 👍

It looks nicer, gives a good sense of speed and I can see more details. If I want the statndard chase cam that's therw already then I'd just play Hot Wheels then.

Someone mentioned a more fluid helmet cam I believe? Not just one that goes from left to right.

Sadly this camera thing applies to extremely many cars and it's not only the chasecam, also the roof/hood cams. I would really know from Kaz or PD how they set those camera or who choses it. Something can't be right about it.

Here just a small attempt to place some of the HUD to see how it would fit. And it does nicely!

64977,camazoaaaX6YQR.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly this camera thing applies to extremely many cars and it's not only the chasecam, also the roof/hood cams. I would really know from Kaz or PD how they set those camera or who choses it. Something can't be right about it.

Here just a small attempt to place some of the HUD to see how it would fit. And it does nicely!

64977,camazoaaaX6YQR.jpg

Didn't know the Camaro was a hybrid :lol:

Looks hella better

@TRLWNC7396 no problem stick to the old one, as long they would include both or an adjustment you and everybody else would be happy :)

The old one can be the far camera and the new one the chase camera. If memory serves the Stratos has a very close chase cam.

The old one can be the far camera and the new one the chase camera. If memory serves the Stratos has a very close chase cam.

Yes there are some cars with closer ones, the Toyota GT86 aswell. Just the FOV is extremely narrow to benefit it in a good way.

Back