ripcurlgti
The basic:
Final all the way right
Lower MPH all the way left
Move 6th all the way to the Right
Move final to the left till you get the desired MPH on the top right

Doing a little more:
Final all the way right
- if you know the MPH you want on the top right, you dont have to go all the way to the right, trial and error to get the desired MPH with the final all the way to the left
- similar, doesn't always have to be all the way to the left
Move final to the right till you get the desired MPH on the top right

*all this left and right i may have gotten something wrong, but you get the idea lol

Question:

I know the original use of this way of tuning was to get the gears closer to each other, keeping a long launch gear and trying to keep the final gear as short as possible.

People have taken it to the next step

How does the Final and the Lower MPH affect the transmission?

I tune for the 3k(formerly tunnel)

I have tunes so I am not asking for specific tunes, just looking to get a better understanding of probably the most important aspect of drag racing.

The "ideal" transmission has final at its lowest possible setting, it's good for about 50 thousandths on the 1/4 and more on longer runs (with all the "overall" ratios being the same).

Personally, I'd suggest using the "old" method to find your ratios first, then write them all down...

Then take each ratio, multiply it by your final drive, and divide by the lowest final drive available (2.000/2.500/3.000 depending on the car). Now set your gearbox back to default and play with the final drive and top speed setting until all of those ratios are available (each time you move the final drive, wiggle your top speed setting to make it actually change). A higher (numerically) final drive will have lower available settings at a given top speed setting, lower will have higher.

The basic:
Final all the way right
Move final to the left till you get the desired MPH on the top right

Doing a little more:
Final all the way right
- if you know the MPH you want on the top right, you dont have to go all the way to the right, trial and error to get the desired MPH with the final all the way to the left
- similar, doesn't always have to be all the way to the left
Move final to the right till you get the desired MPH on the top right

*all this left and right i may have gotten something wrong, but you get the idea lol

Question:

I know the original use of this way of tuning was to get the gears closer to each other, keeping a long launch gear and trying to keep the final gear as short as possible.

People have taken it to the next step

How does the Final and the Lower MPH affect the transmission?

I tune for the 3k(formerly tunnel)

I have tunes so I am not asking for specific tunes, just looking to get a better understanding of probably the most important aspect of drag racing.

Me and alot of other drag racers where doing this already 6 months ago.

I have a new way of tuning :sly: It's REALLY helps in the lower-powered cars, like my legendary CR-Z :sly:

I have a new way of tuning too. I tune cars that nobody else uses so I can then be the fastest. But don't tell anybody, it's a secret. We wouldn't want everybody finding out the key to our success troll brother:lol: I'd hate to see a bunch of other beetles running around. Then I'd have to find something even slower to tune. Nissan Leaf anyone?:lol:

I have a new way of tuning too. I tune cars that nobody else uses so I can then be the fastest. But don't tell anybody, it's a secret. We wouldn't want everybody finding out the key to our success troll brother:lol: I'd hate to see a bunch of other beetles running around. Then I'd have to find something even slower to tune. Nissan Leaf anyone?:lol:

you want to race my CR-Z troll brother? :lol:

Me and alot of other drag racers where doing this already 6 months ago.

I knew this a couple of years ago. Nothing has changed since GT4 on the gearing front. ;)

edit: @kenny: Which Bluebird? I had the '81 or whatever year 1800SSS done up for drifting on my last save, it was pretty bossy. The 510 BELONGS on the drag strip, maybe we need to start fighting thems when I get home and get my PS3 back to working correctlyish.

it will be fun...is your CR-z fully broken in? Because mine isn't lol, so when you race me, make sure your hp is at 305 haha. :D

No, is not broken in, but I'll check tonight cause for some reason I think it has more power than that, I might be wrong.

swara96
it will be fun...is your CR-z fully broken in? Because mine isn't lol, so when you race me, make sure your hp is at 305 haha. :D

If the power is limited it will still have superior torque

Figured this is the best place to ask since almost everyone here knows how to flip a tranny. This all started when I was trying to replicate a tune for a friend in return for a trade car. I'll try to paint as clear of a picture as I can for you.

I was setting up a certain RM, which will remain nameless, and for some reason it wasn't pulling as fast as my own version of it, regardless of the same suspension setup. So I dug into the tranny and figured out the gears are completely different with the same flip method on final gear & top speed sliders. The ratios are off by about .400 on 1st, narrowing down to .150 to 6th. What difference does this make? Well, with this certain car, the higher ratios are better. Because I can't match them, the new car is running roughly .1 slower in the 400m.(Both cars are broken in)

I also tried buying another car, installing the custom tranny before RMing it - same as the new car. Then I tried buying another one and RMing it before checking the tranny - same deal. For some reason I cannot replicate this transmission setup whatsoever no matter what final ratio I flip the tranny at. The only way I can get the ratios close to my original, the top speed is so low that it redlines well before the 400m mark. I've tried to adjust final ratio to compensate but when it flips, the ratios drop even lower than before.

Now the only questions I can ask are: Were transmission gear ratios set up differently prior to any specific patch, or has anyone else experienced something similar to this?

Figured this is the best place to ask since almost everyone here knows how to flip a tranny. This all started when I was trying to replicate a tune for a friend in return for a trade car. I'll try to paint as clear of a picture as I can for you.

I was setting up a certain RM, which will remain nameless, and for some reason it wasn't pulling as fast as my own version of it, regardless of the same suspension setup. So I dug into the tranny and figured out the gears are completely different with the same flip method on final gear & top speed sliders. The ratios are off by about .400 on 1st, narrowing down to .150 to 6th. What difference does this make? Well, with this certain car, the higher ratios are better. Because I can't match them, the new car is running roughly .1 slower in the 400m.(Both cars are broken in)

I also tried buying another car, installing the custom tranny before RMing it - same as the new car. Then I tried buying another one and RMing it before checking the tranny - same deal. For some reason I cannot replicate this transmission setup whatsoever no matter what final ratio I flip the tranny at. The only way I can get the ratios close to my original, the top speed is so low that it redlines well before the 400m mark. I've tried to adjust final ratio to compensate but when it flips, the ratios drop even lower than before.

Now the only questions I can ask are: Were transmission gear ratios set up differently prior to any specific patch, or has anyone else experienced something similar to this?

Maybe he didn't flip it? Have you tried just moving the top speed slider? Or he possibly could have set final gear first, then moved the top speed.

From what I know gear ratios haven't changed at all through patches.

Maybe he didn't flip it? Have you tried just moving the top speed slider? Or he possibly could have set final gear first, then moved the top speed.

From what I know gear ratios haven't changed at all through patches.

I set the first tranny myself and know exactly how I did it. Just looking at the top speed slider & top speed at the top corner, anyone can tell. The second one was set up exactly the same, yet vastly different ratios on all gears. It's like its two different cars.

And I tried both of those before posting here, neither helped.

Ever wonder why you get beat even though you flipped your transmission nicely? Well here is an example that might help you. A transmission with a 2.000 final and top speed of 160 is faster than a transmission with a 2.345 final and top speed of 160. It makes a big difference, especially the higher final you end up with, example 2.000 > 2.100 > 2.200 > and so on.

Stated in my garage :)

Ever wonder why you get beat even though you flipped your transmission nicely? Well here is an example that might help you. A transmission with a 2.000 final and top speed of 160 is faster than a transmission with a 2.345 final and top speed of 160. It makes a big difference, especially the higher final you end up with, example 2.000 > 2.100 > 2.200 > and so on.

Stated in my garage :)

I appreciate the thought, but the problem is not with the tune.

Did I say it was the tune? Nope. What I did say is what you said was the problem, the transmission. So reread it! :)

The same reason everyone else does.

Im sorry but i dont know any fast tuners that flip their tranys. Your looking to get the lowest fg possible and flipping is not the case. Maybe on a few cars comming out of first. but never comming out of second...

Back