Advanced transmission flip?

• Thread starter ripcurl
  • 109 comments
Im sorry but i dont know any fast tuners that flip their tranys. Your looking to get the lowest fg possible and flipping is not the case. Maybe on a few cars comming out of first. but never comming out of second...

It might not be a full flip (max final) but it is still a flip to get closer gears in my opinion. For the better trans you still need to adjust the final in some way before changing the top speed.

It might not be a full flip (max final) but it is still a flip to get closer gears in my opinion. For the better trans you still need to adjust the final in some way before changing the top speed.

Yes you do need to adjust your final before setting the top speed. But not to the right. lol

Yes you do need to adjust your final before setting the top speed. But not to the right. lol

Meh, to each his own. I always use the lowest top speed so on some cars I do have to move the final to the right if my top speed is to low.

Meh, to each his own. I always use the lowest top speed so on some cars I do have to move the final to the right if my top speed is to low.

I use the lowest top speed too. And i always get away with out raising the fg to the right. But like you said to each is own.

I use the lowest top speed too. And i always get away with out raising the fg to the right. But like you said to each is own.

I set top speed according to the powerband of the car. Usually 2-400 RPMs after peak RPM is where I cross the 400m mark. After that, I adjust gears accordingly with final to produce the quickest 0-60 and 0-100 possible as well as a fast ET. I never have to move final all the way to the right unless in extreme cases, but I do stretch gears often to maximize power.

BTW I figured out the problem. Apparently I figured out a way to manipulate minimum and maximum ratios in a car without shifting the final or the top speed. Interesting.

I hope you know that flipping the transmission isn't everything.

Just gotta know where to flip it, what gears to set up for launch, and what RPM you want to be at when crossing the finish line. The rest is simple tweaks and suspension setup.

Anyway I figured out the issue with the car, for some reason the ratios glitch when you paint it a different color from the stock race-mod color. Took buying the car 4 times & trying different setups to finally get it to work correctly.

For 1/4 you can make a non flipped transmission just as fast or faster than a flipped so it doesn't matter.

Im sorry but i dont know any fast tuners that flip their tranys. Your looking to get the lowest fg possible and flipping is not the case. Maybe on a few cars comming out of first. but never comming out of second...

A few of us flip a couple cars to get fast but not all cars.

Trybal
Ever wonder why you get beat even though you flipped your transmission nicely? Well here is an example that might help you. A transmission with a 2.000 final and top speed of 160 is faster than a transmission with a 2.345 final and top speed of 160. It makes a big difference, especially the higher final you end up with, example 2.000 > 2.100 > 2.200 > and so on.

Stated in my garage :)

I can say this isn't always the case. In real yes this is right but after meticulous tuning of a certain car this has NOT been the case at all.

For 1/4 you can make a non flipped transmission just as fast or faster than a flipped so it doesn't matter.

A few of us flip a couple cars to get fast but not all cars.

I can say this isn't always the case. In real yes this is right but after meticulous tuning of a certain car this has NOT been the case at all.

The method I've found out is, even if the top speed is exactly the same for both setups, the higher numeric gear ratios allow the car to get to speed faster. The only gear that you want low is the launch gear. I've tested many different ratio setups and the outcomes speak for themselves. The only exception to this setup is 4WD, which is a completely different animal entirely.

Anyway, problem is solved. We can move on.

1) Reset
2) Final to a specific number
3) Top speed all the way to left
4) 6th all the way to right
5) Final all the way to left.

In that order.

You want to have it so that the top speed in the top corner is what you want it to be when the final gear is the lowest possible.

In that order.

You want to have it so that the top speed in the top corner is what you want it to be when the final gear is the lowest possible.

Step 2 determines where the top speed will be after the final step (step 6), Moving the final farther to the left in step 2 will ultimately give you a lower top speed in the upper right corner.

Last edited:
This is a picture guide on how to flip a transmission and also a base tune for the viper srt 10 '03 and also acr

First off, reset your transmission and set your top speed where you need it.

b201439f.jpg

Then, set your final up approximatly where you need it. I normally guess and do it multipul times.

e76bd5f0.jpg

Third off, set your topspeed up one click, then down one and watch the topspeed in the upper right corner reser as seen here.

4a34512a.jpg

3ac5d119.jpg

Now, lower your final gear down to its minimum for your top speed. Try to have this about 15 miles per hour above what you are looking for on your transmission after your finished.

66332f94.jpg

Now, sixth and fifth all the way right and second all the way left, play with third and fourth.

714d2fe0.jpg

4b90a0c5.jpg

And heres second gear.

bc8a322e.jpg

So tell me guys, how was this? Hope i helped some drag racers out there get a bit better by teaching them how to flip their transmissions!

Last edited:
kttheman001
This is a picture guide on how to flip a transmission and also a base tune for the viper srt 10 '03 and also acr

First off, reset your transmission and set your top speed where you need it.

Then, set your final up approximatly where you need it. I normally guess and do it multipul times.

Third off, set your topspeed up one click, then down one and watch the topspeed in the upper right corner reser as seen here.

Now, lower your final gear down to its minimum for your top speed. Try to have this about 15 miles per hour above what you are looking for on your transmission after your finished.

Now, sixth and fifth all the way right and second all the way left, play with third and fourth.

And heres second gear.

So tell me guys, how was this? Hope i helped some drag racers out there get a bit better by teaching them how to flip their transmissions!

I myself would make 3 longer so that the bottom of 3 4 5 almost line up

Guys last night i drag in a room and a few guys talking someting about "flip or trick"the transmission,so here i read it a few posts about this(default)...so this (default)it is they calling in others words "trick or flip"....please give me an explication about this cause im son confused...thanks

Flipping the tranny you set the Final all the way to the right
Top speed left
Last gear right
Set final to which ever top speed you like.

Trial and error which works much better
You set the final to a certain number
Top speed left
6th right
Then bring back the final all the way left

I do it diffrently.
1. reset to default
2. set top speed to lowest
3. set 6th gear to highest (to the right)
4. lower final gear until you get the top speed you want in the top corner next to the graph (say its 178mph)
5. move your top speed setting up one click then back down to lowest setting and reselect it
6. lower final gear to its lowest setting
7. remember new top speed in topcorner next to the graph (say its 146mph)
8. reset to default
9. set top speed to lowest
10. lower final gear until you get the remembered top speed(146mph)
11. move your top speed setting up one click then back down to lowest setting and reselect it
12. set your final gear to its lowest setting
13. set gears 4, 5, and 6 to highest(to the right)(top speed should be what you orignaly wanted, 178mph)
14. set 1st gear to lowest (to the left)
15. make 3rd gear "pretty"
16. dont touch 2nd gear

This is the base transmission setup I give all my cars. The top speed setting depends on drivetrain, power, weight, powerband, and what car it is. Sometimes 1st needs to be lowered (moved to right). Sometimes you need to adjust 2nd. It just depends on the car.

I do it diffrently.
1. reset to default
2. set top speed to lowest
3. set 6th gear to highest (to the right)
4. lower final gear until you get the top speed you want in the top corner next to the graph (say its 178mph)
5. move your top speed setting up one click then back down to lowest setting and reselect it
6. lower final gear to its lowest setting
7. remember new top speed in topcorner next to the graph (say its 146mph)
8. reset to default
9. set top speed to lowest
10. lower final gear until you get the remembered top speed(146mph)
11. move your top speed setting up one click then back down to lowest setting and reselect it
12. set your final gear to its lowest setting
13. set gears 4, 5, and 6 to highest(to the right)(top speed should be what you orignaly wanted, 178mph)
14. set 1st gear to lowest (to the left)
15. make 3rd gear "pretty"
16. dont touch 2nd gear

This is the base transmission setup I give all my cars. The top speed setting depends on drivetrain, power, weight, powerband, and what car it is. Sometimes 1st needs to be lowered (moved to right). Sometimes you need to adjust 2nd. It just depends on the car.

Damn man doesnt that take too long?

Damn man doesnt that take too long?

Nope. Once youve done it a few times it gets really easy. plus i remember what I had to set my final gear to once I do it the second time around so if it needs adjusting i just work with that. Thats how Ive done it for the past 4 months.

Well, if what I think is correct. You still want the final to be the lowest. You guys just use a diffrent top speed setting. Ive tried it with a diffrent top speed setting. Ive even tried it with diffrent top speed setting and using diffrent finals too. Like 2.310 (2.000 being lowest) or 2.640 (2.500 being lowest). Every time i did the gears 3 - 5 never would line up "parallel" without making 2nd gear too far from 1st to make a smooth gear change. (remember I tune mostly 300 - 500HP RWD cars, the 10.5 to 11.5 sec range)
I could try it out on my 180SX. It needs a 1st to 2nd gear quickshift instead of a straight 1st gear launch. Since most of the cars you guys tune are high powered that might need that I probably would get a better result from your method. I am curious how you come up with your inital top speed setting. Take the example by ktt; how do you decide 137 is a good setting?
1234567890<< Just looking at the way this wierd font types numbers

Last edited:
r4a2g0
Well, if what I think is correct. You still want the final to be the lowest. You guys just use a diffrent top speed setting. Ive tried it with a diffrent top speed setting. Ive even tried it with diffrent top speed setting and using diffrent finals too. Like 2.310 (2.000 being lowest) or 2.640 (2.500 being lowest). Every time i did the gears 3 - 5 never would line up "parallel" without making 2nd gear too far from 1st to make a smooth gear change. (remember I tune mostly 300 - 500HP RWD cars, the 10.5 to 11.5 sec range)
I could try it out on my 180SX. It needs a 1st to 2nd gear quickshift instead of a straight 1st gear launch. Since most of the cars you guys tune are high powered that might need that I probably would get a better result from your method. I am curious how you come up with your inital top speed setting. Take the example by ktt; how do you decide 137 is a good setting?
1234567890<< Just looking at the way this wierd font types numbers

Well i chose it because i made a base tune, probably should have said, you can really do tgis with what ever too speed, this is just a simple base tune. And to the steps posted above, the second you reset to default your just redoing your trans. And really with my flip method, if i find what your 6th, or any of your gears max out at, lets say your 6th is 1.371 or your 1st is 5.213, complete random numbers, but with this i can practically steal your tune due to its simplicity. I can do this in 3 minutes if i try on the trans, 2 if i do simple gearing.

Back