Advice for changing to DS4 Trigger Controls

Here is my config:

Steering = Left Stick

Accelerate = X
Brake = Square

Shift up = R1
Shift down = R2

I cannot do the triggers... if just feels weird to me...
I am a Nintendo Game & Watch / 8bit NES / OG Game Boy generation
I need my buttons

How it is even possible to drive with buttons?
How can you go through a corner with rwd?

look at... i even take all the traction control off on most of my car or turn them to the minimum...
been doing this for 20 years i am totally fine with it.. able to modulate my speed perfectly fine... Gold all of my events with times to spare...

I don't know.... but i got a friend who is very very quick with buttons and i don't know he does it.... it's not for me... just give me triggers..:P

I cant do what you do... i am like your friends... X and SQR )

i tried the triggers a few times, and obviously i need too much work i just gave up...
I can deal with accelerating and brakin with the right sticks, pretty well too, but as said above, it's not possible to gas and brake at the same time (unless you also duplicate mapping Brake to the left side of the right stick an Accelerating on the right side of the right stick...)
doable...

but i just feel more natural with the X / SQR buttons... my next step is simply to hop onto my rig/setup.... why even bother learning the trigger when i got the G29 waiting for me...
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...mo-racing-set-up.359041/page-14#post-12799901

R2 - gas
L2 - brake
R1 - Change View
L1 - DRS/Push to Pass
X - Hand Brake
Square - Shift Down
Circle - Shift Up
Triangle - Look Back
L3 - nothing
R3 - High Beams
Touch Pad - turn signals
D-pad - in-car menu thingy

Used this setup since GT5. I used to drift a ton in GT games, and actually put a lot of thought into this button layout based on my experience. In drifting, there are a number of things that you need to be able to at the exact same time, namely: Gas, Foot Brake, Hand Brake, and Downshift. Being able to take quick glances behind and beside is important as well.

To me, the most essential part of the layout is having Hand Brake and Downshift close enough together than I can hold X with the heal of my thumb, while tapping square with the tip of my thumb. I suppose you could do it the other way around, this just felt more comfortable to me.

I also prefer having Look Back on triangle, so I can look behind regardless of whether I’m accelerating or braking. R3 is also a decent spot for it, but accidentally pushing sideways on the Right Stick while trying to click R3 can be a little disorienting in the heat of the moment.

Drifting on low grip tires is a great way to learn to use R2 and L2 as gas and brake, as things happen a little bit slower, and let you practice feathering the throttle and trail braking.

R2 - gas
L2 - brake
R1 - Change View
L1 - DRS/Push to Pass
X - Hand Brake
Square - Shift Down
Circle - Shift Up
Triangle - Look Back
L3 - nothing
R3 - High Beams
Touch Pad - turn signals
D-pad - in-car menu thingy

Used this setup since GT5. I used to drift a ton in GT games, and actually put a lot of thought into this button layout based on my experience. In drifting, there are a number of things that you need to be able to at the exact same time, namely: Gas, Foot Brake, Hand Brake, and Downshift. Being able to take quick glances behind and beside is important as well.

To me, the most essential part of the layout is having Hand Brake and Downshift close enough together than I can hold X with the heal of my thumb, while tapping square with the tip of my thumb. I suppose you could do it the other way around, this just felt more comfortable to me.

I also prefer having Look Back on triangle, so I can look behind regardless of whether I’m accelerating or braking. R3 is also a decent spot for it, but accidentally pushing sideways on the Right Stick while trying to click R3 can be a little disorienting in the heat of the moment.

Drifting on low grip tires is a great way to learn to use R2 and L2 as gas and brake, as things happen a little bit slower, and let you practice feathering the throttle and trail braking.

Essentially heel toeing with your right thumb... :lol: 👍👍

Indeed you have put a lot of thought into it... :bowdown: :cheers:

I wish I could do the same...:banghead: :D

Essentially heel toeing with your right thumb... :lol: 👍👍

Indeed you have put a lot of thought into it... :bowdown: :cheers:

I wish I could do the same...:banghead: :D
Lol kinda. Regardless of button layout, it’s still a semi-automatic sequential transmission, so you don’t need a clutch, therefor no heal-toe downshifting required.

If you want to be technical, what that layout allows for is what I would refer to as a “poor man’s clutch kick”. Most of my time spent drifting was done with people using wheels, with clutches. This allowed them to be able to clutch kick, an essential technique in drifting, especially in low powered cars. DS3/4 users don’t have access to this, so the best we could do is mimic a clutch kick by holding the Hand Brake and Gas at the same time. Keep the Gas held down when you release the Hand Brake, it acts like a poor man’s clutch kick.

Used it a lot doing big reverse entries into corners like Grand Valley T1&2, Deep Forest T1, etc. Fly down the straight in top gear, Scandinavian Flick to initiate the drift, then drag the Hand Brake to maintain angle while using the Foot Brake to slow the car down (I used to run my Brake Bias really far forward, so the Foot Brake only effects the front, and then the Hand Brake is your rear brakes). Keep the Gas to the floor the entire time, while downshifting into 2nd/3rd/4th, whatever gear is desirable to be in for mid corner. Once you reach the turn in point, release the Hand Brake, which will induce instant wheel spin (thanks to the throttle being fully applied). This causes the car to stop sliding in a straight line, and start turning into the corner. The lower the gear you go down to, the tighter the car will want to turn in. If you don’t do this technique, at best you’ll look un-smooth, at worst, the rear will grip up when you release the Hand Brake, usually causing nasty snap-back.

I’ll never claim to be the best, and I wasn’t very good in comps...but I got smooth enough using a controller for drifting that majority of people I met in lobbies just assumed I was using a wheel.

Judging by the dates of this thread, OP either got used to using the triggers or has given up and moved onto something else :lol:

I guess I got the advice I was looking for and never came back! But @Voodoovaj's solution of using the right analog stick as a sequential up and downshift was just what I needed. I've been using that setup for over a year, and it's been fantastic. I probably wouldn't have thought to do that on my own. :cheers:

Back