Advice on License Tests

• Thread starter LeGeNd-1
  • 36 comments

LeGeNd-1

Premium
Australia
Australia
GTP_LeGeNd-1
I need some help on getting gold times in license A-4, IC-9 and IB-7. My current best times are 19.394 for A-4, 20.197 for IC-9 and 19.755 for IB-7.

I'm using analog controls for both gas/brake and steering with the right stick for gas/brake and the left stick for steering. I'm using auto transmission for all 3 tests and I'm driving with the cockpit view.

I've gotten golds on all other license tests but I can't seem to get gold on these 3. I've watched the demo countless times and imitated every detail (time of turn-in, entry and exit speeds, etc), but I can only get close to the required time, not beat it.

Any advices, help or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I can't give any specific advice because it's been awhile since I've done GT2 tests but I can tell you this: A4 is extremely difficult because PD programmed the gold time much lower than the other A tests. It is of a more difficult parameter. In other words, think of all the rally tests, and how easy it is to make gold on them. Now if the gold time were lowered, these tests would be harder. So A4 is tough because it requires extremely precise cornering and I think whoever programmed the times must have made this one super-low. It's frustrating for us, though.

Here's what I did. With A4 I simply tried it over and over and over till I made gold. If you're watching the demo and stuff, you're already on the right track, but in many cases, you have to nail A4 thru luck as well as skill.

So far as IC9 goes, I think I created a thread on it awhile back..let me see....

Never mind....I created a thread for the slaloms...which ones are IC9 and IB7 anyways?

Last edited:
Yeah I believe you need luck as much as skill for the license tests, I got gold on 2 license tests with my time 0.001 seconds below the gold time. Now that's lucky!

IC9 is the one using Alfa on a section of the Rome Circuit around the Colloseum where you have to drive round 2 consecutive medium speed left turns.

IB7 is the one using Skyline R33 where you have to drive downhill then there is a quick gentle-right-sharp-left switchback.

I really hope PD doesn't put those auto replays, it's killing me having to exit each and every one of them after each run.

Yeah I believe you need luck as much as skill for the license tests, I got gold on 2 license tests with my time 0.001 seconds below the gold time. Now that's lucky!

IC9 is the one using Alfa on a section of the Rome Circuit around the Colloseum where you have to drive round 2 consecutive medium speed left turns.

yeah that one's tough but it's not impossible. The braking point has to be super early (as you probably know) and maintain your throttle so you don't smack the guardrail opposite the colloseum. In my opinion, A4 is actually harder than IC-9. You'll eventually get this one.

IB7 is the one using Skyline R33 where you have to drive downhill then there is a quick gentle-right-sharp-left switchback.

I really hope PD doesn't put those auto replays, it's killing me having to exit each and every one of them after each run.

In this one, you actually need to get slightly sideways if I remember correct. I think a slight slide is involved in order to make the racing line between the 2 curves work. It's one of the rare tests in which to win gold,you need to lose control just for a split second.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I'm surprised nobody else has commented.

Last edited:
I wish I could help you, but I'm kind of in the same boat. Just be glad you've got two analog sticks; I'm trying to do all this on my PSP and that little analog nub and cheap buttons is all I've got... Anyway, good luck and I hope you figure it out!

2 analog sticks help immensely. I just got a PSP today...I couldn't imagine driving properly with such a small screen...good luck man.

Last edited:
2 analog sticks help immensely. I just got a PSP today...i couldn't imagine driving properly with such a small screen...good luck man.
Eh, it works alright, just gotta hold it close and don't use it for very long, unless you want a headache, haha. But its not really that different once you get the hang of it, and considering that GT2 is a good bit easier than GT3 and GT4, it honestly feels about the same, albeit w/o vibration. If anything, the challenging controls make me much more adept with the DS2, so it improves my GT4 game a good bit. Anyway, I was tired of waiting on GT Mobile, so figured I'd give this a go.

BTW, PSP's are alot of fun, I love it. You can put GT2 on the PSP, but it takes a little bit of work. It's pretty straightforward, and I'd be more than happy to help you run GT2 or any other PS1 game off of your PSP. If you're at all interested in getting into the PSP-modding/hacking scene, may I recommend http://www.psp-hacks.com/, great resource to help you get into all that. But even if not, you'll have fun with it, so enjoy! 👍

Sorry to threadjack, but there really isn't much more I can say about the tests other than to keep trying.

YEEESSSSSS!!!!!

Finally today I got gold on the Alfa test. I scraped it with a time of 20.138. The secret is, it seems, you must drive over the inside kerbs fully on all four wheels and keep as close as possible to the inside wall while maintaining your speed. Surprisingly, your speed thru the corners doesn't matter as much in getting low times.

With this I got a silver 3000GT LM Edition (although I must say I preferred a yellow one better) and I should say, it's still as fast as in GT1, tho not with 7 gears. It's also much better than the newer version of the 3000GT LM you won from Laguna enduro.

Well that's it...Two more tests away from all gold...

Can anyone give me any tips on how to get gold on IB-8? I've watched the demonstration countless times and have tried getting gold for 3 hours. Closest I got to gold was 3 tenths of a second off.

The test with the S2000, high speed slalom.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to get gold on IB-8? I've watched the demonstration countless times and have tried getting gold for 3 hours. Closest I got to gold was 3 tenths of a second off.

The test with the S2000, high speed slalom.

My best advice is to keep the steering as minimal as possible. let off the gas, steer a little bit, accelerate-x10. Also, try to get as close as possible to the barriers without hitting them. (It's frustrating, I know.)

My archnemesis on license tests: IA-3 (NSX at Apricot Hill, the first third of the lap). I've been trying for 3 YEARS and still haven't got it. Any pointers?

My best advice is to keep the steering as minimal as possible. let off the gas, steer a little bit, accelerate-x10. Also, try to get as close as possible to the barriers without hitting them. (It's frustrating, I know.)

My archnemesis on license tests: IA-3 (NSX at Apricot Hill, the first third of the lap). I've been trying for 3 YEARS and still haven't got it. Any pointers?

Thanks for the advice :) I've got a silver for IA-3. My best time was 30.258. I think the second corner where you brake hard and the last corner are crucial for getting gold here. After the second turn, when you get to the s corners, go through full speed, letting off the gas for a split second on the final corner, otherwise you'll end up with two wheels on the grass and two on the tarmac. I'm sure you know all that anyway. I'm none the wiser because you've been trying for 3 years, I've been trying for a month.

Eh, it works alright, just gotta hold it close and don't use it for very long, unless you want a headache, haha. But its not really that different once you get the hang of it, and considering that GT2 is a good bit easier than GT3 and GT4, it honestly feels about the same, albeit w/o vibration. If anything, the challenging controls make me much more adept with the DS2, so it improves my GT4 game a good bit. Anyway, I was tired of waiting on GT Mobile, so figured I'd give this a go.

BTW, PSP's are alot of fun, I love it. You can put GT2 on the PSP, but it takes a little bit of work. It's pretty straightforward, and I'd be more than happy to help you run GT2 or any other PS1 game off of your PSP. If you're at all interested in getting into the PSP-modding/hacking scene, may I recommend http://www.psp-hacks.com/, great resource to help you get into all that. But even if not, you'll have fun with it, so enjoy! 👍

Sorry to threadjack, but there really isn't much more I can say about the tests other than to keep trying.

No prob with the thread jack. Actually, this is the busiest I've seen the GT1 and 2 forums in weeks! 👍

Yeah, the PSP is really an addictive little machine. I'm looking forward to carrying it with me wherever I go on days that I don't have to work! :D How do you kids ever get any schoolwork done??? :nervous: Thanx for the link.

YEEESSSSSS!!!!!

Finally today I got gold on the Alfa test. I scraped it with a time of 20.138. The secret is, it seems, you must drive over the inside kerbs fully on all four wheels and keep as close as possible to the inside wall while maintaining your speed. Surprisingly, your speed thru the corners doesn't matter as much in getting low times.

With this I got a silver 3000GT LM Edition (although I must say I preferred a yellow one better) and I should say, it's still as fast as in GT1, tho not with 7 gears. It's also much better than the newer version of the 3000GT LM you won from Laguna enduro.

Well that's it...Two more tests away from all gold...

Cool :cool: see I knew you could do it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'll try that sometime 👍 I hate cockpit view though. :scared: I've used chase view ever since I can remember.

Trust me...that's where you problem lies. I hated the cockpit view too, but once you switch over to cockpit, it's easier to see how much space you have as you drive thru those cones. Then the test falls into place.

Trust me...that's where you problem lies. I hated the cockpit view too, but once you switch over to cockpit, it's easier to see how much space you have as you drive thru those cones. Then the test falls into place.

I've actually done the same for GT4. The slalom using the Z4 to get gold easily. So this is probably the same case.

I'm just gettting luckier and luckier. Another gold on IB-7!!!!
And I got it after only 3 tries. No secrets on this one, you just need to do exactly as the demo does. Oh, don't forget to ride the grass a bit on the first turn, and the kerb on the 2nd turn, but STAY OFF the kerbs on the exit.

To Viper-Fan: Once you get the hang of the rhythm, it's easy to get gold on the slaloms. Parnelli is right, drive using the cockpit view and whatever happens, DON'T panic. Steadiness is the key to golding the slaloms.

To ty00123: IA-3 is really really tough. Took me around 6 months to gold it. But it should be no problem once you know what this test is trying to teach you. Basically you must learn how to maximise your tires grip without slipping (I think you know that already tho). The 2nd corner is crucial as Viper-Fan said, you must do a perfect trail-braking there. The last corner is also important, you shouldn't slowdown too much because you'll lose time and not too little because you'll have understeer. What I did was ride 2 wheels on the inside kerb to 'widen' the corner and raise my speed. Hope that helps. Keep trying ;)

To Viper-Fan: Once you get the hang of the rhythm, it's easy to get gold on the slaloms. Parnelli is right, drive using the cockpit view and whatever happens, DON'T panic. Steadiness is the key to golding the slaloms.

Yeah, I'll try it this week coming. IC-4 is giving me a real head ache at the moment, however, I've been patient and hopefully I'll get a gold in a couple of weeks time.

Yes! I've done it! Gold IB-8 on 2nd attempt, couldn't wait for next Friday. All I-B licence is gold now :cheers:. However, I also used the analog stick for steering (much more responsive steering, I've never used the analog sticks in GT2 before). Speaking of IB-7, check out my pass time. :sly: That IB-7 gold time is on the PAL version. Not sure about NTSC and the rest..... Gold time is 0:19.800

Attachments

• DSC07514  2.JPG
    DSC07514 2.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 17
Well Done Viper-Fan! I knew it's just a matter of time. About your pass time...you're just so damn lucky!!! I also got gold on 2 tests with my time 0.001 sec below the gold.

And....Finally I got gold on my last license test!!!! I passed A-4 last night with 19.242 sec, and guess what? I did it with the buttons, not analog! After repeating the test for many many times with analog, I decided to revert back to the 'good old ways' and use the buttons again to try my luck. And it did its magic. I don't know how I can even gold the test with buttons, but I think it's because the buttons are more sensitive (when you press right the car will turn right more than when you use the joystick).

Oh, one more thing: the Dodge Copperhead (aka Concept Car) has one of the sweetest engine notes IMO. It ranks up there with the '69 Camaro, Speed 12 and Stratos in terms of engine sound. And it's also faster than its predecessor in GT1 if I remember correctly because now it can accept NA tuning whereas in GT1 it can't.

BTW, did anyone notice that in the info screen it states that the car is FR while in the spec sheet it says that the car is MR? Which one is correct? My guess it would be FR because of the long hood, but it could be otherwise, anything's possible. The unavailability of the carbon driveshaft upgrade proves it's MR tho. Bottom line, I think PD messed this up also, either that, or it's another glitch. Is this goof found in ALL versions of GT2 (mine is the 1.0)?

Well Done Viper-Fan! I knew it's just a matter of time. About your pass time...you're just so damn lucky!!! I also got gold on 2 tests with my time 0.001 sec below the gold.

And....Finally I got gold on my last license test!!!! I passed A-4 last night with 19.242 sec, and guess what? I did it with the buttons, not analog! After repeating the test for many many times with analog, I decided to revert back to the 'good old ways' and use the buttons again to try my luck. And it did its magic. I don't know how I can even gold the test with buttons, but I think it's because the buttons are more sensitive (when you press right the car will turn right more than when you use the joystick).

Well done with A4 Legend :) Since then I've passed S licence with all golds too. Now I'm sort of playing GT3 & 4 from time to time as well. The Copperhead in my copy of GT2 is the same, however, I also have the very first version.

The problem with analog steering in GT2 is it has a tendency to hook in too much sometimes, and tapping the d-pad (which means you're steering/not steering...steering/not steering--really fast) which makes the front wheels not grip in as much, so your car isn't as prone to heading towards the inside of a turn...which slows you down.

But still, I can't use d-pad steering in the tests with one exception: the circle test with that little front-drive kei car. I'm forgetting which car and test it is. Try this test with analog, then try it with d-pad....with d-pad, golds are virtually guaranteed but I had a lot of trouble with analog.

Like I said, analog steering is great but it's not as accurate for really fine steering motions.

Oh, one more thing: the Dodge Copperhead (aka Concept Car) has one of the sweetest engine notes IMO. It ranks up there with the '69 Camaro, Speed 12 and Stratos in terms of engine sound. And it's also faster than its predecessor in GT1 if I remember correctly because now it can accept NA tuning whereas in GT1 it can't.

All true.

BTW, did anyone notice that in the info screen it states that the car is FR while in the spec sheet it says that the car is MR? Which one is correct? My guess it would be FR because of the long hood, but it could be otherwise, anything's possible. The unavailability of the carbon driveshaft upgrade proves it's MR tho. Bottom line, I think PD messed this up also, either that, or it's another glitch. Is this goof found in ALL versions of GT2 (mine is the 1.0)?

It's another PD screw-up. Basically, the car in the game you're talking about is an LM vehicle. Many LMs in GT games are not entirely based on reality. There is no real example in existence, is what I mean to say, and therefore no mid-engine example exists. This is PD taking liberties with what could be possible if Dodge were to try it.

But the fact that the info says it's FR yet the spec sheet says "MR" is a classic PD moment. :lol: Which drivetrain race can you enter it? That will give us the definitive answer.

Last edited:
I'm having oodles of trouble with one (and a half, I suppose...) in the I-C license: The Camaro through the two left-hand, 90 degree turns, with and without walls. I just can't seem to make it in under the gold time. Does anyone have any useful advice for me?

I've golded licenses A and B, and the slaloms, so I'm no noob, and it's probably just a matter of time before I get golds across the board, but I would really appreciate it if someone told me what I'm doing wrong. The closest I've gotten to the gold time is a hint over 0.1 of a second, but I can't improve on it in the least.

The one without walls is easier to get gold, so I suggest you do that one first and try to do the exact same thing in the test with walls (since both tests require you to follow the same line and speed thru turns, the walls are just there to scare you, so ignore it). Also, when I did these 2 tests I found that using the d-pad helps a lot, so maybe you could try that. And make sure you clip the apexes of the 2 turns and maximise the kerbs on the exit, this will help raise the overall speed (hence giving you faster times).

Watching the demo many times over always helps (memorise where to start braking and the speed you have to maintain thru corners, etc) and if you have the time and money, buy a camaro and spend a lot of time racing in it, that will help you to get familiar with the car's behaviour.

Don't worry if it takes many tries, I also had my fair share of frustration on this one.

Yeah, that Camaro test (with walls) is a toughie. The only advice I can offer is what LeGeNd-1 says: watch those demos. Watch them with the point of view of whatever you use to drive. In other words, if you typically drive with a full-car view when you race, switch to that view as you watch the demo. As you know, the braking, steering, and gas has to be extremely accurate. :banghead: It took all of us many tries to gold that test. :guilty:

Last edited:
Oh, thank god I'm not the only one having trouble here. Yeah, I slaughtered the wall-less version by using the grass to its fullest capabilities.

After a 40-minute session on the one with the walls, I'm now .003 of a second off of the target time.

Please excuse me while I kill myself.

Oh, thank god I'm not the only one having trouble here. Yeah, I slaughtered the wall-less version by using the grass to its fullest capabilities.

After a 40-minute session on the one with the walls, I'm now .003 of a second off of the target time.

Please excuse me while I kill myself.

Awww, don't do that! :nervous:

Here's something that has helped me. Just remember this. It's possible to earn gold in this test. People have done it. I have earned gold here. So if I can do it, so can you, and you will eventually.

Another thing that helped me and may help you. Turn the sound of your TV way down so you can barely hear the car. After doing the same test over and over, I personally start to hate the sound of whatver car I've been driving for the last hour(s). And I've found that sometimes turning the sound low takes some of that angst away. :guilty:

Last edited:
Oh, damn.:nervous:

Ummm... I was kidding. Royally disappointed, yes, but not a trace of angst. Actually, I sort of liked the enormous challenge involved, sort of like a fierce, superior opponent that I could battle every day, get better and better, and eventually triumph in battle. (Que "Ride of the Valkyries.") :)

Either way, I slaughtered it today by .1 of a second! You know how, when someone is really excited about winning something, and they punch the air above them?

My shoulder still hurts. :dopey:

Ummm... I was kidding. Royally disappointed, yes, but not a trace of angst. Actually, I sort of liked the enormous challenge involved, sort of like a fierce, superior opponent that I could battle every day, get better and better, and eventually triumph in battle. (Que "Ride of the Valkyries.") :)

And believe me, when you finally triumphed over all the tests, you'll feel.....invincible (I don't know how else I can describe the feeling:)). The satisfaction you get is indescribable with words:sly:.

Either way, I slaughtered it today by .1 of a second! You know how, when someone is really excited about winning something, and they punch the air above them?

My shoulder still hurts. :dopey:

Good work EA11R:tup: I also gilded this test by a close margin (.001 precisely).

And yeah I also do that punching-into-the-air thing for EVERY gold I got, 'cause they were all SO HARD!!! Except that I didn't hurt my shoulder :lol:

Close margin? .1 of a second is about 2 years in license-test time!

Ane yeah, I know the feeling. I've golded all of GT4, and then went and drifted my Model T! That's why I'm trying to gold GT2. Also, the Honda Del Sol LM seems cool.

Latest Posts

Back