Afterthoughts

  • Thread starter Thread starter Div is back
  • 99 comments
  • 7,999 views
Domejuddv10
....is that it! is that all you like to do is 'drift' never mind you should have bought another game, mayby Mario Kart or something, putting some oil on the bottom of yours shoes will have the same effect.

The only thing I don't like about GT4 is, you have to sleep once in a while!

Yes it has it's faults then so do I. :)

Yes, I like to drift, and GT series is the most realistic racing game out there. I hate the fakeness of Initial D Special Stage, it's just too fake. I still feel that the GT3 physics engine is more representative of the real car than the GT4 physics engine.
 
More afterthoughts now... I don't know how many times I stated it, but I figured this game would still be a great game come delays, come no online, come "same old AI." In essence, I was correct. Still, I don't complain about the AI. While not perfect, don't mention GT's AI until you play "Pro Race Driver." The AI in that game tried to spin me out, ram into the back of me, and one time, a driver rammed into the back of my car. I spun out, got slammed hard into the tire barrier, and lost the rear end of my Koenigsegg C62 (or was I in a Toyota GT-One?). I think fewer people rammed into me in GT4. I have yet to meet actual jackass race car drivers in GT4.

No online play. I didn't fret over this much because I'm not an online gamer and multiplay isn't really my thing. That's been the only story I've kept reading and seeing about this game since... maybe E3 of 2003. When it was dropped, I wasn't phased. I still feel that for someone to say that having online play eliminates any mention of AI really hurts me because I think AI wasn't designed to be perfect or completely realistic. There will be flaws, but doesn't mean anything to me.

One of the few things I mentioned in the past was about how I think GT4 should be as fun as GT1, execute better than GT2, and look as beautiful (or more) than GT3. So what do I think?

As fun as GT1 = Mission Passed!
Execute better than GT2 = Mission Passed!
Look as Beautiful (or more) as GT3 = Mission Passed!
 
TheCracker
Why do BMW have a whole line up of crappy 1 series, but omit the original E36 M3 which has to be BMW's most successful racing and rallying car of all time!

I think you mean the original e30 M3. There is a long line of e30 enthusiasts who would lynch you for calling the e36 the best m3. :p

of course, that can be said for each gen.. The e30 M3, as pointed out in another thread, is also the natural competitor for the Benz 190e 2.5 EVO II. considering the amount of other cars that were included just for historical sake, they could have easily included the original M1, 850csi, the 3.0csl with race variant, M6 and the e36 m3/LTW as well. Maybe even a 700cs coupe, or an isetta! ha, that would be a site. Daihatsu midget vs bmw isetta. ha. oh well. I wouldn't mind swapping a few identical civics and miatas and rx7's for that.
 
GT4 is the best but there are some little insignificant niggly complaints:

1 - No real British tracks (hint hint - Brands Hatch)
2 - B-Spec driver is thick
3 - Too many boring versions of Fuji Speedway

I mean, look at Brands Hatch, it is the best, why leave it out?
Look at the last picture, that is the famous Paddock Hill Bend, best corner ever except the Corkscrew (Laguna Seca) and the Craner Curves (Donnington)





 
If some people spent half the time they spend *****ing, and actually play the game, there wouldn't be many complaints.

GT4 is 10x the game any previous GT was.

It makes me smile thinking about all the people that lol in their head when they read these posts from newbies complaining about the physics. Learn to drive guys. If you can't gold licenses then you need more practice. Oh yeah. Stiffer springs in front will probably make your car understeer more. 👍 Lower them to generally get your front tires.. uh.. more gripperier :dopey:

****** rrrrrrandom advice! ****** 💡
Oh yeah - read the motor trend guide in the manual, its good stuff. The part on braking while steering with the strings and stuff was great. If you can't get cars to turn well - time trial against your ghost and try being smooth with the gas/brakes/wheel. GT4 doesn't baby you with assists as much anymore (or not at all with DFP configured correctly). You have to realize that when your tires slide, they no longer turn the car, slow it down, or whatever. I frequently have to remind myself not to steer too far when I play with the DFP... its an easy mistake. When you take the correct line, you find you hardly have to steer even 45 degrees on many courses. After thinking I'm a big shot at drifting in GT3, GT4 made me realize what it really takes. I also found that without driving at the limits taking the line ("gripping") you'll never drift correctly. Its much, much easier with the DS2, if you're experienced with the thumbsticks.

Biggest pros imo:
-Costa Almafi :drool:
-All the other courses
-All the cars
-most everything

Biggest cons imo:
-Where's SS5 for 2player battle??? :crazy: It was there in gt3
-No 2player replay saves or fullscreen viewing (although I've grown to like the splitscreen... you never miss a thing. I'm just glad I'm on S-video...at least).
-Whenever I take a trip to arcade mode for 2-player the valet totally screws up my car.
-I can't use my own tuned cars in LAN? This is the biggest letdown for me. Its not as bad though since you can have every car in the game available in arcade mode eventually. I'm sure it'll be fun as heck once everyone shells out $40 or whatever for... an ethernet plug. :indiff:
-Loading.....................click click Loading............................. "Oh shiz I hit preview" Loading......... ............... click Loading...................

I'm just posting here since I just remembered that I have an account and can post and stuff... :) And I'd like to try to set up some LAN tournaments and stuff possibly in the future or maybe make some videos of battling with my friends, ect. So I figured I'd post stuff. Hi :dopey:

quick off-topic question: Is "Power Assist" more or less realistic? I found it better to leave it off, so I wouldn't naturally turn the thing a million times faster than necessary when I was learning to use it. After playing this game for a while, I think the best indicator of how skilled a driver is how much noise they make with the wheel. More noise = more suck. :) It hardly makes noise now that I drive right
 
i bought it wednesday when it came out in europe been playin since and it still blows me away! i agree with photomode bein one big surprise its jst awesome especially the classical songs that come up during slideshow! also true: race halls seem empty...where did it all go? gt3s laguna seca is still the lookswise best track in any gt game with that burning sky...!
is it just me or did they make it impossible to drift/have oversteer? the grand sport for instance in gt3 w/t mods broke away like crazy and controlling that was the juice of the driving experience. now the physics have greatly improved over 3 and prologue but even in gt4p the cars eventually broke out when doing slaloms at high speeds...putting too much gas on the wheels in the turns. seems to me the physics are harder and more realistic but they deleted the oversteer/drift part of the program...i have no clue what that accomplishes. considering the catastrophic gt mode race difficulty it sure as hell doesnt make anything easier!? id like to advance in the game without havin to gold everything just to get a car that can keep up with even the slowest of those oponents...aka 3...2...1 start...cya dogg! you can drive yea but u wont win:)
 
My biggest let-down is that there aren't enough races for the middle-class cars, there's a bunch for small, slow cars, and then after beginner, you're gonna need atleast the minolta to win, it's lame. Most of the cars I feel are the most enjoyable to use (like the 300-500hp cars), I haven't even really begun to use, because i've just been needing to put so many miles on my Formula car, and my Minolta...
 
I agree, Stock and lightly tuned races are a rare sight, I'd love to race my Skyline, Supra, Rx-7 and M3 on something else than the Japan Championship or the German championship ( it has a german name, unpronouncable)
 
Good things about GT4 :
1. Car selsction
2. Up to 1000 cars in your garage
3. Nurburgring
4. Endurances
5. Wings
6. Music

Bad things :
1. Annoying understreering

Doesn't care about :
1. B-spec
 
The games amazing. People have to consider the hardware capabilities of the PS2, which is for the most part out dated by todays computer standards. Still, PD managed to produce some of the best driving game graphics ever seen, while running a very complicated physics engine. This is a major accomplishment and I can't be bothered to complain about a few little things considering the end result. My biggest disappointment with GT4 has been the amount of complaining on this forum. *****ing and wining probably takes up about 75% of the posts of this site, which is unfortunate because the rest of the content is extreamly useful, and there's obviously some very knowledgable people that contribute that content. That is all.
 
awdrifter2
Yes, I like to drift, and GT series is the most realistic racing game out there. I hate the fakeness of Initial D Special Stage, it's just too fake. I still feel that the GT3 physics engine is more representative of the real car than the GT4 physics engine.

There simply isnt anyway i can agree with that, How did you come to this conclusion?
 
Good:
Amount of Cars
Amount of Tracks
Graphics
New Modes
Sheer Content

Bad:
5 second penalties
No load feature - WTF?
Autosave
No own garage in Arcade
Missed out many icons - Citroen DS, Original Mini etc.
Way too many crappy Japanese cars, they're so boring
Used Car lots are too japanese orientated.
 
i largely agree with Wilkins:

Good:

- amount of cars
- amount of tracks
- graphics (well i think they rock)
- new modes (b spec really is fantastic, esp for endurence races........ photo mode, what a cool idea!)
- new mods (NOS is a great addition..... being able to add a rear wing, like it)
- menu music (YES!!! i like them)

Bad:

- 5 sec penalty.... god i really hate that soooooooo much
- AI is awful...... i actually dont remember GT3 being as bad, might go back and see! really sux when i'm tentatively going round the 'ring, only for a car to whack me up the arse (just cos i'm on the racing line) - it aint real at all!! if it was, michael schumacher would get crunched every grand prix!!!!
- too many Japanese cars (spose it is a Japanese game, tho)
- race/replay music: most of it is awful (esp the rock stuff, god its nearly as bad as country and western LMFAO).... more house, garage please
- special cars: i couldnt care less about the nike thing etc, but the caterham 7??? man, i bought it, mod'd to the max, then couldnt race it????? wtf???? ok i know the dear old ps2 aint a high spec machine anymore..... but they coulda put a plastic dummy in it (no comments about me LOL)
- no internet play.... mmmmm in this day and age, even with less cars?? seems weird to me
- more mod options: see NFS U2.... well i like that game a helluva lot, aesthetics are important too (i know, the GT series is more serious than the competition, but nothing wrong with being able to change the look of yer car.... esp as there's a photo mode now)

arcade: well, i didnt play it on GT3, and havent done on GT4.... so i cant comment

dont get me wrong, i love all the GT versions.... and i love 4 too!!

just wish they'd made it better this time....

Gord
 
oh and why does the viper strt 10, when fully mod'd, sound like a hammer drill at low revs? ..... gave me a headache after a while

LOL
 
i haven't had this game for even 24 hours and its the best racing game of all time..the graphics are great...more than 700 cars...i printed the list off and it was 15 pages(i think)...i give this Gran Turismo 👍 x100
 
Phil McCavity
oh and why does the viper strt 10, when fully mod'd, sound like a hammer drill at low revs? ..... gave me a headache after a while

LOL

Listen to any open exhaust car in real life and you'll understand.
 
and there was me thinking i'd run out of oil, Div...... mmmmmm we dont have them big muscle cars here.... but thx for putting me in my place!!

Gord
 
mmmm open exhaust, errrrr wtf is that? ok ok i have no clue, i just play games LOL
 
Exhaust on regular cars have curves, bends and are limited with different components.

Racing exhaut is a straight pipe, without any catalyser, thereforce causing a sound that may not sound good to your ear.
 
Yeah, its funny how people said "B-Spec is stupid I want more cars and tracks!" and complaining about nitrous. Now lots of people are using B-Spec to make money and whatnot, and most people seem to be using nitrous. I use nitrous on some cars that just need that extra acceleration or top speed. I'm actually using a second GT4 file for B-Spec only, to see if it is possible to complete the game only using B-Spec. (minus getting licenses, special condition races, and driving missions of course)

Photomode is awesome, but I wish all wheels were 3D in Photodrive. The 2D wheels really ruin some shots. I've taken some really cool pictures at El Capitan from the American GT race. I have mixed feelings about Photo Travel, though. I feel limited when I use it. It just seems boring taking a picture of the car on a street in _______, another on a street in ________. I've only taken them at the first location (forgot the name, has nice houses in background), and in that glass building. The latter is good for race car shots, feels like a museum. 👍 I don't like how limited you are on positioning the camera and car though. All in all, Photomode is great. Although I don't care for Photo Travel, I love Photodrive.

The halls do feel empty, though, and I feel that some races in beginner hall have increased difficulty because of this. Ex: MR race, in GT3 an MR2 would be able to win, in GT4 you are racing against an NSX-R.
 
Here's my two cents on this subject:

Scenery - Just blew me away the first time I played it, especially after playing GT3 the night before. Way to go, PD!

The Cars - I'm still like a kid in a candy store after having the game for almost a month now. So many good cars. The only problem I'm having is deciding which car I want to buy next.

Autosave - Overall, it's a good feature. There are times I wish I could turn the console off and completely erase my last decision, but this game is kinda like life - once you make a decision, you have to stay with it, good or bad.

Tracks - Outanding. There are some really good straight and fast tracks, and there are some execellent technical tracks. The only ones I've master thus far are the tracks that were carried over from GT3, but I like testing myself and the cars on the newly added tracks.

The only complaint I have so far is the B-Spec driver. My driver will not even try to pass the car in front the first time he reaches it. Every time he reaches the car in front of him, he will ram it three or four times before trying to pass, even if there is a lot of room to pass on both sides. My wife even made a joke one evening that my driver may lead an "alternative lifestyle" off the track. :scared:
 
thx Div, i've learnt something today! (and no, i'm not being sarcastic)

ta

Gord
 
good-
-The 700+ cars even tho about 200 of them just come in diffrent styles and what not i like them all.
-The older nissans such as the 510 the 910 and the fiarlady 2000 :drool:
More track.
-Photomode rocks, I love tacking pictures.
-Some what better AI but still needs work hopefully the AI will have a way better engine in GT5, at least they will "fight" with you some times and can crash and run off the track unlike in gt3 where they just had a solid line they almost never messed up on.
-The Scenery is so much better im loving this 3D scenery much more then gt3 scenery.
-Better line of Europe and American car , altho i dont really care the game is Japanese biasas , cause i like them just as well.
-B-spec mainly for the long 24 hour races altho i wish they put a limit on it cuz i get lazy some times
-Graphic are amazing expecially for the PS2

bad-
not really that much of a complainer but the spring setting are completely screwed up (rear soft front heavy and i can do donuts all day? wtf)
The jitter but i dont mind cuz they last less then 10 seconds
Not as many race in the main hall's but its
online racing nomore, but u can play on xlink even tho there is so bad lag

but i love GT4 so to me its all good in the end :)
 
So far what I like are the tracks and the amount of cars. What I don't like is:
5 five second penalty (especially when the comp crashes into you 👎 )
no SS-11
no Rome
no Red rock speedway
not enough american cars( come on No CTS-R ????)
But other than that this is an excellent game
 
Hi Div is back Hope you don't mind me adding my 2 Cents worth. Posted an abbreviated version of this two weeks ago elsewhere but it didn't see much traffic.


Well we've had the "GAME" for three weeks now in North America. ​
Here are MY "Yays" & "Nays" ...feel free to add your own or tell me I'm Crazy! (It's NOT like I haven't heard it before!) :lol:

👍 OUTSTANDING GRAPHICS & PHYSICS
👎 "Screen Shake" ( I had one race at LSR where it shook 75% of the Race!) :irked:

👍 FANTASTIC New Tracks Especially LeSarthe, El Capitan, Infineon, Costa di Amalfi, Hong Kong etc.
👎 NOT "ALL PREVIOUS Tracks" as promised. :irked:

👍 FANTASTIC New Rides Especially the LMP Racers :bowdown:
👎 NOT "ALL PREVIOUS Rides" as promised.
(Plus it seems the ones we'll want most can NOT be Won!) :irked:

👍 FANTASTIC New Rallye Cars :eek:
👎 But they might have "Updated" the Old ones!
The Liveries are quite "Dated" & a few lines of Code (Possible ONE Line) would have made the XSARA AWD like it SHOULD BE! :irked:

👍 DFPro Does NOT Glitch (Well it SHOULDN'T! As the wheel was designed for THIS Game! )
(I DID have the Brakes hang "ON" for a bit but that seems to have gone away now.)
👎"Feedback" is about 1/2 of what it was for GT3 & Prologue :irked::trouble: :grumpy:

👍 "GENERALLY" Better Engine Sounds
👎 "Pathetic" sound from a '69 Camaro SS I bought.
One of PD's Staff even OWNS ONE & they couldn't get it right!
It sounds like my neighbor kid's stock Eclipse w/"Ash Can" Muffler! :irked:

👍 LOTS of "Prize Cars"
👎 Too bad so many of them are "Worthless." Lets face it...this is a RACING GAME! :irked:
(It's hard to get excited over a series when you KNOW the reward will be a Volvo Wagon!) :banghead:

👍 LOTS of "Races"
👎 To BAD So Many require you to BUY the Same "POS" you'll WIN!
(ie VITZ/YARIS & Sport Truck!) :irked:

👍 100% Completion???
👎 Do NOT think I'll be overly concerned with this Version. Too many "One Make" races that offer Little or NO Challenge!

👍 The ZONDAs are still in the Game!
👎 They're STILL available ONLY in Silver! :irked: IMHO "Sports Cars" should be PRIMARY, NON-Metallic Colours!

👍 LOTS of New Wheels
👎 Too BAD they can't be fitted to most "Race Cars!" :irked:

👍 Being 53+% of the way thru the Game!
👎 And NOT having driven a "Skyline" or an "Evo" of any kind!
Hold On! That's not a 👎 ...that's 👍 👍

👍 Having 15 Races in Formula GT this time!!
👎 NOT being able to not only "Save" during the series but it would be Super to be able to exit & go do something else, then come back & run a race or two. Took me 6 days to do & I kinda "Lost Touch" with the rest of the game! :irked:

That's all I can think of at the moment...O.G. :D
 
yea GT4, overall a great game. But, some disapointments are due:
I think PD didnt emphasize the number of laps in many races. For example in GT3, we've seen races all the way up to 20 laps, and thats for the whole championship of a particular race (Polyphony digital cup), Gran turismo all stars had 15 laps for all 10 races of the series.
But in GT4, there are many races, (even in extreme events) with like 6 laps, 8 laps, even 5 laps. I expected to see at least 10 laps.
When I beat the GT all stars championship, I expected to see the same number of laps (15, 18, 20+) in the extreme hall, (except for the formula events) but I was surprised I didnt. The one make races are just too quick, 2laps, 3laps,? I'll be okay with 5 laps which some of them have. The Rally races should have had about 10 laps for "Hard" instead of five.

But despite all this, GT4 is an excellent game, I dont think I need to list the positives
 
oooooo i forgot to add this to my list of Good bits:

specialist tuners........ u might be surprised which cars can have a lev 5 turbo fitted hehe (just seen my crappy mx5 ((err i restarted the game, just for the hell of it)) can have it!!)

Gord
 
mmmmmm call me old fashioned, but what (who?) is this PD that i often see in posts?
 
VyPeR
yea GT4, overall a great game. But, some disapointments are due:
I think PD didnt emphasize the number of laps in many races. For example in GT3, we've seen races all the way up to 20 laps, and thats for the whole championship of a particular race (Polyphony digital cup), Gran turismo all stars had 15 laps for all 10 races of the series.
But in GT4, there are many races, (even in extreme events) with like 6 laps, 8 laps, even 5 laps. I expected to see at least 10 laps.
When I beat the GT all stars championship, I expected to see the same number of laps (15, 18, 20+) in the extreme hall, (except for the formula events) but I was surprised I didnt. The one make races are just too quick, 2laps, 3laps,? I'll be okay with 5 laps which some of them have. The Rally races should have had about 10 laps for "Hard" instead of five.

But despite all this, GT4 is an excellent game, I dont think I need to list the positives

Wow, you want more laps?...

I remember in GT3 I was pissed at those 20 laps race, they were all blowouts.

Go do the real circuit races, you'll have a rather long race with a very good challenge, took me like 6 times to beat Infineon and I'm a Silver driver.
 
Sage
Well, it's good in theory, but why such a crappy AI driver? I have to baby mine so much (in other words, re-adjust the 1-5 speed thingie) that it'd practically be less work to just run the race myself. It'd be nice if the computer took note of how you drive in A-spec, then re-adjust the B-spec driver to match your skill level. I should be able to "get out" of my car during a pit stop, hand it over to my B-spec driver, and have him do a few laps without running straight into the sand.

Aside from that, the infamous screen "jitters", and the sometimes retarded 5-sec. penalty (I've been penalized before for getting hit by another car! Jeebus!), I'm more'n happy with GT4. :)👍 The overwhelming amount of cars and tracks keeps me content, as well as the "extras" (like Driving Missions, which provide a nice break from regular races). Some of the new tracks—especially Nurburgring and that Italian course—have really blown me away.

So, I'm happy, though PD did screw up a few things.
get him past 90 on machien skill, course skill and battle skill and an over all skill of 7000+ and you'll be laughing. thats what im aiming for. however even with 6000over all skill the ac 427 in the 1000miles just screwed up completly on worn tires. slid everywhere and overall sucked.
 
Back