Afterthoughts

  • Thread starter Thread starter Div is back
  • 99 comments
  • 7,999 views
I was going to make a post like this myself, so kudos to Div. And hi, first post!

I really don't know what to add to this thread that hasn't been said before or better, but I have to gush a bit. I'm in awe of this beast. Graphic hiccups, networking headaches, and the AI of a bug aside, I get jitters every time I start up, even now. My knees were shaking when I first booted.

Okay, I can say something novel. My experience getting GT4 was a hilarious ordeal. I called on my preorder at GameStop, and was told on the 21st that they expected it in at midnite the day of release and were intending to stay open so us rabid fans who'd endured several release cancellations would finally experience the joy.

So on the 22nd, I run to the phone to confirm and... it's dead. Oh great! And it took quite a while to get to the landlord's phone to call in - he's an odd chap, but I digress. Anyway, they report that the shipment is running ahead of schedule and they'd have it at 8pm fer sure.

Fantastic! So I fire up GT3 to take care of some loose ends which I still hadn't finished, have a great time, shower about 6:45, and run over to call once more to make sure. Well dang if it already arrived and they're giving it out! Crap! So I dive into my burgundy Supra MkIII, love that car, and make it to the mall in record time while not breaking the law too much.

I can't stop smiling as I see a big stack of gleaming white boxes with the cover I hoped they'd use, show them my receipt, feel that sweet smooth plastic, and book back home in even better time! Release the hounds!

My PS2 feels like an altar as I turn on the TV, Arcam stereo and VCR, and get the memory card sorted so there's plenty of room on one. Breathlessly, I open the box, and...

There's no disc.

THE HELL?? Everything else, but, but... but God....??

Okay, somehow I managed to remain calm in the face of this cataclysmic event. I look at the clock, and it's 8:25. The way I drive, there was plenty of time to get back before closing, and needless to say I was not too concerned over traffic laws at this point, so I may have set some kind of record.

They're surprised to see me again, and looked a little concerned at my expression as I came to the counter, which fortunately was open. Asking what was wrong, I opened the box and said in a funny tone of voice, "No... disc."

Much surprise and appologizing as they take it and look confused. And then one of the clerks asked if it had been wrapped in plastic or not, and that had escaped me in my excitement. "Oh, we gave you the display box. I wondered why there was a disc on the counter."

I muttered to them that it wasn't a good idea to put a display box on top of a stack of games they were selling. "So can I have this as a souvenir?" :sly:

They took it from me, saying, "Well, we need it to go with the game disc. Sorry about all that, but enjoy the game." I'm still mystified as to how they got that DVD out without breaking the seal. Oh well, yet another mystery in my weird and sordid life.

I tried not to set off police radar on the way home for the second time, my bounty in the passenger seat like the best date I'd ever had... okay, maybe not, but at this point I was mad to play the darn thing! But there was a happy ending, as there were no speeding tickets, there was a DVD this time, the opening cinema blew me away, even with the ill fitting Van Halen track, and I'm still in honeymoon mode over this blessed game, warts and all. Oh, and I do wish that Sony had Polyphony put the entire Japanese soundtrack on there along with the U.S.'s, I do believe there are some goodies they left off. But that aside, I'm digging much of this song list, especially the short version of Moon Over The Castle. I'm hoping that Kaz and company put some surprises in the game for us to discover in the coming weeks.

For those of you wanting the perfect driving experience, GT5 should deliver in spades. It'll undoubtedly be on the PS3 which will have a massive 25 gig Blu-Ray disc, giving us plenty of room for all the tracks from the series and then some, tons and tons of cars, hopefully a paint shop, the return of racing conversion for stock cars - oh please! - cinemas, hours of music with perhaps our own tracks we can include, and who knows what all. Maybe some bot drivers with actual skill.

And for those of you who actually read this far - can you tell I like to hear myself type? - if you like Photo Mode, and who doesn't, get a USB memory stick. You can't access it from the Slide Show, but you can store tons of pics on one, and you can gawk at them on your PC in full high res glory and print them. You can get a 512 meg stick for less than $60 these days.

Now, if only I can get networking to WORK! :crazy:
 
Well I decided to give my review, alot of you think Im going to be crazy, We all know how I feel on imported cars, but after playing for a few weeks it's come not to bother me so bad, but On to my Review:


Graphics
Lets face it, they school, but perhaps they school too much? they must school in moderation. We all have seen the awful screen shaking, and the such, they are very very nice, Cars look very detailed, I have a headache trying to figure out why the Cobra R Rims in GT3 are crazy Shiny (like they should be) and in GT4 they are more "satin"

The 3D Wheels really hurt during races this time because of the added photomode, a perfect composition shot can be totally ruined by the "flat" 2D wheels.

Im giving graphics an 8/10 because of the fact they pushed the system too hard resaulting in glitches here and there rather then going for the completely smooth experiance.


Gameplay
Very...Predictable? if you've played GT1, you probably know what to expect in GT4 while the menu's are slick and Stylish (which the series needed BADLY IMO) But the "new" AI they are trying to convince people into being there simply isn't, Expect them to play very cheap. It's not horrible, but I mean, its an issue that still hasn't been addressed, yet for some reason we're told to be convinced that they are smarter then ever?

Some people arent very fond of the Autosave feature, I dont mind it, I've heard reports of memory cards getting corrupted for no apparent reason this cant fly simply by playing this game you're chancing having your memory card corrupted and losing ALL the data on it, simply a No No, even if its a rare occurance, its an occurance that should not have had the chance to happen.

To me this game plays almost identical to GT3, The graphics have improved, But the gameplay seems to be near identical with a few additions rather then addressing the AI and other serious issues, The Option menus are filled to the brim with Options everything from changing Killograms to LB's But with the exact same gameplay and what seems to be a still very off Suspension Customization Im going to have to give this a 7/10.


Sound
NO, BAD PD, BAD. I enjoyed GT3's soundtrack, ALOT, it was pretty enjoyable overall, But this is just rediculous, My Advice Turn it off, But Music is a personal Opinion :)

Now onto car sounds still unbelivable, If you've Played GT3 you'll get the basic Idea, its still the same, I prefer to not add exhaust onto my car, at idle things sound O-K, (especially on the Cuda) but cars like the Camaro are just increadibly far off. the higher in RPM's the less convincing the sound becomes, it's pretty bad, and something Im starting to wonder if they will ever get right. Being in the position they are in And Forza's Almost dead on sound somethings going to have to change in the department Immediatly.

Im giving sound a 3/10 yes its low, but so was their attempts at recreating anything besides the Idle of A car for a 4 year long development cycle this is just borderline lazyness upon PD's part.
Im not including the Music due to the fact its personal opinion (which we know how I feel from the first paragraph) so that can vary.



Races and Cars

The car Count of this game is unbelivably high, The ammount of details into the cars seem fairly sick, as do the courses themselves. PD I commend you on the Accuracy of some cars, but simply do not Attempt to copy modles and claim them as other cars, this can ESPECIALLY be said for the 69 SS compared to the 69 Z28, which are the exact same in the body which is unbelivably false.

Giving the Skyline another "car" just because of it being a differant color is just all out strange. So many "duped" cars with the same power, weight, etc is just rediculous. But for the most part the modeling seems very spot on, and I commend them on that hopefully they can further advance themselves to not have to resort using the same models and stats but refer to them as completely differant cars to seemingly increase car count.

Now onto the race part, Seriously, courses like Nuremburgring are simply astounding, El' Capitan and the such are just amazing. But alas for 50 courses You seemingly rarely race on most. the game is very hindered by a small number of Beginner, Proffessional, and Extreme Races we're talking unbelivably small compared to the Mass of Girth that GT3 had, I see no reason why they couldnt keep the Auto Maker Races, and combine them with the GT3 Beginer, Amature and Professional Races.

There are cars that I would have loved to keep using but unable too due to the small ammount of race series outside of Automakers Races. To me this was the most shocking thing out of everything, after going from a very nicely setup GT3 style Beginner, Ammature, Professional number of races down to a total of about 15-20 circuts within the combined 3 (not individual courses)

While Driving Conditions and the such are great adds and help define your skill (which you should have inharted from GT1) the lack of the Ammature, Professional, and Extreme Races are too short to be ignored.

Im giving this A 7/10, its not where it should have been, for as large as this game feels, it gives the impressions that it was more rushed, GT4's lackster Ammature, Professional, and Extreme races are rediculous.


Final
This game oozes presination, its everywhere from the slick menu's to the 1080i function which is a first for the PS2 period. But with such a large number of cars and tracks the circuts just aren't there, having the ability to earn 270k within the first 20 minutes is just odd.

Courses such as Autumn Ring and Midfield just dont seem used, this game seems to be too big for its own good, Graphics are Phenominal, Cars are very well represented, but without the courses to use them its seemingly useless, Photomode and B-Spec aren't just filler spots, they are great additions, who could have thought that taking pictures of your cars could be so fun??

I cannot disgress though how dissapointed I am with the Ammature, Professional, and extreme Races, the Innability for your car to become seemingly useless after just 2-3 races is just stupid, Automaker Races are a great add, but nothing new, they just imported it from GT2, while Driving Conditions and Rally's are Okay they just cant fill that empty void.

Unforgettable courses such as Deep forest, Autumn ring and Midfield dont seem used, and as A Personal opinion I preferred the Light Setting in GT3 for Laguna Seca over GT4's desert Wasteland in the middle of the day.

Im giving the game an overall of 7.8 out of 10, Because I know that it could've been better, the Lack number of Beginner, Professional, and Expert Races are simply unforgivable.
 
Well I guess I'm glad I wasn't nearly as hyped as some folks on the board for this game. I mean I was really looking forward to it granted but I know there is life outside of video games so it doesn't quite rule my world.

Being as my expectations weren't so high I guess I was shielded from the intial dissapointments many on the board seem to feel.

I've seen all the bugs reported on here and you know in my oppinion they really are nothing to get worked up over. I think that some people are so concentrated on finding the negatives in the game that they are completely over looking all of what's good in it. I mean people have been looking forward to this for years and it's out for a whole three weeks and already some people are *****in' about Gt5. All I can say is that if the game dissapoints you this much after three weeks you have my sympathy! You have a long time to wait for GT5!

Cars from every era, more tracks and better graphics. I even feel that the over all challenge behind the game has taken a step forward. It is possible to have close races where as that was pretty hard in GT3.

B spec is a nice addition for those who have no desire to race for 24 straight hours. Or for those who have friends that suck at the GT series it acts as a decent driving buddy to pass off to in the medium long endurance races.

Over all I think it's a great game and at the level of exellence it is at it's hard to imagine how GT5 will top it.

Maybe I can answer that with an echo of what others in this thread have said.

Better game structure.

Until then I'm enjoying what we've got! Try it!
 
dreamakah
The games amazing. People have to consider the hardware capabilities of the PS2, which is for the most part out dated by todays computer standards. Still, PD managed to produce some of the best driving game graphics ever seen, while running a very complicated physics engine. This is a major accomplishment and I can't be bothered to complain about a few little things considering the end result. My biggest disappointment with GT4 has been the amount of complaining on this forum. *****ing and wining probably takes up about 75% of the posts of this site, which is unfortunate because the rest of the content is extreamly useful, and there's obviously some very knowledgable people that contribute that content. That is all.

i totally agree. this site would be 48x better if there was minimal complaining.

it sucks having to sift through countless 'im whining about this not being in the game' or 'i'm whining about this feature not being 100% to my liking' threads to get to the real ones.
 
I think the AI has become <i> slightly </i> more intelligent since GT3. SOmetimes they'll actually attempt to go round you now rather than just slam straight into the back of you (although they do still do that a lot).
As for the engine sounds, my 5.1 speakers arrived today and they do make a great difference. You can hear sounds you never ever heard before and most cars (that I own anyway) do sound unique now.
Overall GT4 is a great game, it's just a shame you have to spend so much to reach it's full potential.
 
I have had this game for a week and 2 days now and I must say it is a good game, but my expectations were probably a little too high. A couple of things annoy me.

The one thing that annoys me the most is the competitors, you don't know how good the competition will be when you enter a race. I entered the Opel Speedster race with a practically stock speedster.... well, anyone who tried it knows how it ends. Even with my speedster fully tuned it is hard to win. One time you get pitted vs a lot of crappy old Japanese cars, and the next time in the same race they add in a Jaguar E-type. They do need to fix this, making it easier to see which car to use to get decent competition without getting your ass handed to you.


Of course the soundtrack is god awful, the worst in the series... but I don't buy the game for the music.


I don't like that some courses can only be driven 1 vs 1.... those coastal tracks are great.... but should have been 6 cars. Same for the italian streets track... of course the course might be a little too narrow for so many cars, but still. Even if it is just 1vs1 they should have used these tracks in many more tournaments.


I hope that for the next Gran Turismo they will start making fictional courses again. Sure, I like the real courses but it gets boring just looking at tarmac and grass. I don't mind more city courses in the game either, but then they should make them less static. They should also try to use some cities that aren't built up of squares like New York. The city looks nice, but it isn't really going to be an interesting, good race track. They should make one of Amsterdam, which looks less linear, going over a couple of those little bridges and stuff :). Or maybe Barcelona, that might make a sweet city as well to race in.... not New York or Seoul (blegh).
 
You can see the average competition with the Preview option.

I found out that the AI is a small step better, I noticed that in rally races, when I get a 5 sec penalty for example, the car behind me brakes to avoid contact and sometime tries to overpass. He does not ram me.

They should put manufacturers races in the halls, a la GT3, like the Vitz race, Evo meeting, GTR race, anyway you get my point.

I must say that the replies are great! Some better than others but overall I'm proud of my thread!
 
Div is back
You can see the average competition with the Preview option.


You still don't know whether an E-Type will or will not enter your race until you choose to enter. One time it does and you get owned, the other time it doesn't and you already are ahead by 5 seconds before you reach the next turn. Just like I bought the Opera S2000 for the tuner race, which owned my Mine's Lancer when I tried to before.... and then a Ruf CTR-2 enters which dominates my Opera S2000. :yuck: Even when knowing which type of cars will be in, it is still hard to guess how fast they will be.
 
I didnt even know gran turismo existed before i bought the game.

i didnt play my playstation in over 2 years. i hear the guy at walmart hype this game to me, so i decide to buy it. WOW!

This game kicks ass! I been playing it every day. Its best when you dont get all hyped up and then just discover the game. wow! you guys don't know how awesome this game is!

the cars alone can keep me busy all day long.
 
smellysocks12
Even when knowing which type of cars will be in, it is still hard to guess how fast they will be.

That's because the game adjusts the types of cars you'll be up against, within a certain range. If you're within that range you'll face stiff competition. Unfortunetly the range is pretty small so you can't compete with say, a civic and expect to win. Same goes for competing with an LM car, the tuners have no chance.
 
I've had for a week and a day now, and i have to say i am blown away by this game!

Things i love : 👍
- The amazing graphics - I have never seen such relaistic-looking cars on a PS2 game. I thought GT3's grpahics were amazing, but these are even better.
- 700+ cars. Although i was disappointed not to see much MG Rover stuff, the array of cars is wicked - somethign for everyone, altho why you would want to race the 1886 Benz is a mystery.
- NOS - now i'll probably be blasted and be branded 'ricer-boy', but i have so say i have welcomed this with open arms. It is a very useful tool on the straights! (and has made my Fiat Panda ie surprise me a couple of times)
- The used-wheel section. Call me picky, but i like the idea of using the rims off other cars!
- The city tracks, espcially Cita D'Arria.
- The backfiring - adds some spectacle to racing and replays (can get some gud pics of cars which sheets of flame spitting from the back)
-PHOTOmode - one word FANTASTIC!

BAD POINTS: 👎
-The AI i feel has become a lot harder. But then again i'm no pro.
-The licences - ARGH!! These have doubled in difficulty since the halcyon GT2 days! The ghost car is irritating, and the coffee break is pointless!
-Still the vast array of identikit Skylines.
-The used car lots are still too Japanese-biased.
-Too many worthless prize cars.
-The wings look ridiculous.
-No Race MOdification mod.
 
awdrifter2
ricey wing
People seem to forget that (some) wings\spoilers do have a purpose - downforce so the 'ricey' image created by some games and cultures is wrong on the whole. the spoiler on the escudo pikes peak for example isnt to make it look pretty it keeps it on the road (just). NOS suffers from the same problems now it is becoming part of many race series all over the world not just for street racing.
 
Elstro
Although i was disappointed not to see much MG Rover stuff.
I agree, they cud have put some of MGs better cars in like the ZT, ZR and the SV or whatever their supercar things called and yet we get a "opel corsa comfort 1.4" and a "Vauxhall corsa comfort 1.4" 👎
 
For me, the biggest highlight of GT4 is the inclusion of Le Mans. Not just one Le Mans, but the Circuit de la Sarthe without the chicanes. If you've played through the IA Graduation test, let me ask you. How much fun is it riding that Nissan down the Hunadieres (some call it the Mulsanne straight, but then, I don't know who to believe)? A big plus I enjoyed was being able to set up your car at your virtual home in case you want to mod up your car for a certain race. I hated it in GTs 2 and 3 where you had to find some way to have a garage to tune your car. But all you do is with the car you're in, you press Start to set up the car you're in. It can make that difference if the rules call for Standard or Sports Tires. But if it doesn't allow production cars, you'll need to think about what car you want to enter into the race.

I had only a few letdowns, but nothing major. The rally racing will really test your patience. Ram a wall, bump your rival car from the front, you pay almost bigtime. But you know how the saying goes, "sometimes you have to cheat to win." That's if you're desperate.

Actually, I don't feel too bad that there are no time cycles for races at Le Mans and Nurburgring. You know, Le Mans is Le Mans. Nurbring Nordscleife is Nurburgring Nordschleife. So I can deal. I'll just be missing "Le Mans 24 Hours" rendition, featuring way more than 6 cars on track and actual time cycles. But to me, the biggest surprise is Le Mans.
 
I've been waiting for this game for so long that I expected much more than what I get and I feel extremely disappointed by GT4.

New features
- On-line mode finally not included
- Coffee breaks are pointless
- B-spec mode and Photomode are just extras with no great interest racingwise

Realism
- Car and track sampling looks better
- Textures look great
- AI are as crap as usual
- still no damage, I wish I had an X-box and Forza Motorsport
...

It's definitely not worth the 2 years wait, and they should have called it GT 3.1, not GT4.
I'll reach 100% by any means necessary (e.g. Cadillac Cien through Beginner's League), bronze the 4 licences that I miss and then play OLR events.

And I'll keep an eye on any realistic racing game that might be released in the future.

:(
 
Overall I have to say I'm not dissapointed with GT4, I expected a Gran Turismo game and I got one.
I bought a PS2 especially for this game and it was worth it.

In my eyes the two biggest weakness of GT4 are bumpy tracks or rather the lack of them and the tires.

All of the tracks in the game seem way too flat maybe with the exception of the Nordschleife. It comes especially apparent when racing on the old GT tracks.
What the hell happened to Trial Mountain? It was so full of bumps in GT2, which made it really fun and challenging. Trial Mountain in GT4 is just boring.
The second turn after you get out of the woods, the one before the final chicane, it's a joke now. In the old version there was this bump right at the breaking point, which made me spin out the car several times.

It's not just removing the bumps, all redesigns of the old tracks kinda suck.
What's with the new last turn on Grand Valley? Horrible.
Why did they add a fourth jump on that one uphill section on the Seattle track?
I have to brake much earlier now, no fun...
The section between the last tunnel and the last turn on Deep Forest is no fun anymore either.
And while I agree that GT4 has great graphics in general, I don't like at all how Route 5 looks like in this game. I honestly think it looked much better on first two games, than it does here.

I'm really puzzled as to why they removed all the bumps, did they designed them with all those LeMans Prototypes in mind? That's the only explanation I can come up with, cars like that are not really fun to drive on bumpy tracks.
But GT isn't just about those fast cars.

Coming to the second issue, the tires. Well it differs from car to car, but overall I think all tires have way too much grip. That one black Mercedes DTM car is one of the worst in that aspect, it literally sticks to the road. Not even F1 cars have ever reached this much grip.
But far more horrible than the grip is the tire wear.
I'm currently racing the GT World Championships in the professional hall with the Nissan Motul Z with a stage 3 turbo (721 PS). It's fast enough to beat the Sauber C9, the Nissan '92 and whatever races in this championship, but still I lost the championship the first time through by 2 points just because I wasn't prepared for all that tire wear.
I mean you can't finish races like El Capitan and Grand Valley on hard race tires, you have to make a pitstop or else you end up spinning around on the last laps.
These races are both around 10 laps and hard race tires won't last? Wtf?
Completely overdone, they should at least last 20 laps.

Replays aren't that great either. The choice for camera angles on the TV style replays just isn't as lovingly done as in the first games. And I'm also kind of disappointed with the sound, you'll only hear the engines if the cars are like in a range of 40 meters to the camera. That's just stupid, cars are more noisier.
They also seem to have obmitted one the best camera angles, the helicopter cam, I really liked this one, it was the best to anylaze your racing line.
 
flat-out
I've been waiting for this game for so long that I expected much more than what I get and I feel extremely disappointed by GT4.

New features
- On-line mode finally not included
- Coffee breaks are pointless
- B-spec mode and Photomode are just extras with no great interest racingwise

Realism
- Car and track sampling looks better
- Textures look great
- AI are as crap as usual
- still no damage, I wish I had an X-box and Forza Motorsport
...

It's definitely not worth the 2 years wait, and they should have called it GT 3.1, not GT4.
I'll reach 100% by any means necessary (e.g. Cadillac Cien through Beginner's League), bronze the 4 licences that I miss and then play OLR events.

And I'll keep an eye on any realistic racing game that might be released in the future.

:(

I'd have to agree 100% with your entire post. Overall I'd say that I am a huge GT fan, buying a Japanese PS2 before the US launch so that I could play GT. I'm wholly disappointed with GT4.

It boils down to this. You know that feeling you get when you're at work, school, the store, whatever, and you're daydreaming of getting back home so you can play a certain game? A lot of games have given me that feeling, GT4 (3.1) isn't one of them.
 
MCX
You know that feeling you get when you're at work, school, the store, whatever, and you're daydreaming of getting back home so you can play a certain game? A lot of games have given me that feeling, GT4 (3.1) isn't one of them.
It does give me this feeling, but then I play half an hour when I get back home and wish the game was better.
It lacks consistency and realism. I remember my first game at GT1, when I had to buy a second hand car (RX-7 Savannah as I recall), race hard to win races and earn money so that I could upgrade the car and win more races...
I don't have that feeling with GT4. In one week I have won 20 prize cars, most of them expensive or rare (or both) : Cadillac Cien, Nike, Toyota MTRC... I don't feel like a beginner racer fighting his way to the top, but more like a wealthy gentleman driver who sells his spare Chev' Silverado because it's the same color as the first one :scared:

Nekoi says that he expected a Gran Turismo game and got one. Me too, but I'm 6 years older now than when I first played GT1, and I realize that the game evolution didn't quite follow my own evolution as a gamer.
In a few words, I would have accepted all drawbacks again (no damage, dumb AI) if the game had become more immersive.

And I'm sad because GT4 is still the best racing game on PS2.
I tried many of them : ToCA :indiff: , Total Immersion Racing :yuck: , Rally Championship :scared: and none is half as good as GT3 and 4 are, and even if Enthusia looks fine I don't expect a gaming revolution from it.

Fortunately OLR stays the funniest experience, and that's the reason why I'll try and reach 100% ASAP, to make sure I unlocked every possible car and track and I can be part in any OLR event.
 
Never heard such complaining!

Got the game and a DFP wheel, and I must say I never had such fun on my PS2 before! Yes, there are glitches, but I'll still give it a 10 out of 10, because it's the best racing game on any platform to date!

For those complaining about the lack of feel with the roadsurface: Do you drive your own car with a DS2???!! You can't get the twists, knocks and shakes out of a handheld controller!! You get rumbling and that's it. Hiting cerbs and pavements with a DFP certainly knocks your hands. One of those certificates in iA (thing it was the second last one...) made me hang on for my bare life just to keep the car on the road! Think it was the Calsonic Nismo... Both hands on the wheel boys! Cause that beast almost ripped my arms off!!

For those complaining about physics: in GT 3 the cars were way too similar in their handling, and it was difficult to screw things up by tuning the suspension. In GT 4 each car has it's own distinct feel. I've droven a Volvo Estate 240 for 5 years in real life, and must say that the version in the game handles very close to the real thing. Understear occur when you can't shift weight to front tyres, or when accelerating hard through corners. The stiffer the suspension, the more difficult it is to shift weight.

Bought my self a RUF CTR2 and it's handling is way past bad. But I made it driveable by loosening up the springs. Thigt springs on that car made it travel in a straight line, even when braking, turning and accelerating.

Ease up on the accelerator and drive smooth! 👍
 
Im not disapointed at all, i bought the game purely for Time trials and OLR. The AI is a pain but i knew that it would be, so i never expected good AI. The driving missions are fun and sorta challenging.

Im not let down at all, in fact its a very very nice game. No other game ive played comes close to lapping the Nürburgring in a decent car. Its all gt3 had but better and more of it. Guys who serioulsy thought the AI was gonna be good, dont worry, just come to the WRS and you will soon find the competition your craving for.
 
helseth
Yes, there are glitches, but I'll still give it a 10 out of 10,
Spoken like a true fanboy. Do I really need to point out the flaws in this logic?

helseth
For those complaining about the lack of feel with the roadsurface: Do you drive your own car with a DS2???!!
No but I also don't dribble a basketball, steal cars, hit people with bats, sneak around buildings, or jump using a DS2 in real life. This is a VIDEO GAME. Don't be a :dunce:
 
Never heard such complaining? You must be new to GTP. Car damage, online, AI... broken record. Let me see if I can "counterattack" some of the issues mentioned.

ONLINE PLAY When I read and heard about Gran Turismo 4, the key element I've kept hearing/seeing mentioned is online play. So when you forget that there's still a game to be played, of course you're going to not care about GT4. That's like saying to your girlfriend/boyfriend that you love her/him only because you love the way she/he looks. In this analogy, you have to consider the person's personality, character, and devotion to you before saying you actually LOVE that person... in much the same way that a game has to be good alone on features, gameplay, and... oh yeah, AI.

"POINTLESS COFFEE BREAKS Believe it or not, I see Coffee Breaks as ways to relax after doing some intense license tests. They are more like minigames. They are in the License menu because it still tests your driving ability. The final Coffee Break, while challenging, can still be fun. So they are like minigames. How many realistic racing games feature such minigames? Now, they may not be like popping baloons, running away from the police, or whatever, but they are still fun. So, wise up.

CAR DAMAGE[/I] Oh, LONG contested subject. I understand that in real life, a car travelling at 200 mph and smashes into something results in vicious damage. In one respect, I think PD probably wnted to disallow car damage, or that the manufacturers wouldn't allow this to happen. It's the same reason why some manufacturers (explained in a future post) won't allow certain cars into a GT game.

More to come.
 
It is all about expectations. I never played GT1, so I didn&#8217;t really know what to expect from GT2 and I was overwhelmed. Several times I stayed up all night or played all day Saturday or Sunday only getting up to go to the restroom. It was (maybe still is IMO) the best racing game ever. So this set my expectations high for GT3, and I was disappointed. It had less then half as many cars and the only thing improved to any extent was the graphics because of the PS2.
quan ao thoi trang han quoc ao lot nu do so sinh khac thoi trang cong so gia re thoi trang cong so gia re trang phuc co dien
It was still a great game, just not as great as I expected. I was able to excuse the lack of improvement of GT3 because it was the first game on the PS2, but thought GT4 would be the new best racing game ever. I thought I would enjoy it more then GT2. I had high expectations and I was disappointed again. Some people really enjoy B-spec and photo mode, and I&#8217;m glad&#8230; I&#8217;m glad it wasn&#8217;t a total waste. I have no use for photo mode or B-spec, but I must admit I never use arcade mode or watch replays either. I do like A-spec points, I think it is a good compromise between the free for all of GT3 and the HP limits of GT2, but the thing I really wanted for GT4 (and GT3 for that matter) was AI, and I didn&#8217;t get it. But I still really enjoy the game (despite autosave) and I think if I could just stop expecting too much I would enjoy it more. All I have to do is stop comparing the next new GT to what I think it could be, and start comparing it to other racing games.
 
Last edited:
There are some very unnecessary mistakes in GT4, the odd bug is excusable, but having no engine noise from the inside in any of the rear engined cars, including the Fiat 500 is plain daft. There is no way in the world that they recorded all or even most of the engine sounds either.
Even worse is the UK map which only has England on it :dopey:
 
I was very annoyed that they downgraded the graphics on most of the tracks from prologue to make the cars slightly better......when im racing I dont see my car, I wana see realistic surroundings.....NY is the worst of all.....all the signs are blurred and the spectators are all cardboard blurs......its has been seriously downgraded :grumpy: ......I now play the track on prologue because it looks way better...goodness know how good the other tracks looked in pre-testing before they pumped up the cars graphics...... :crazy: .....they must have been amazing, thats probably why ssr11 wet was cut...
 
i think photomode
is good
 
I'm gonna die at work today because I couldn't stop rallying. But what the heck, I'm at 50% and still in awe. 👍
 
cerbman1
There are some very unnecessary mistakes in GT4, the odd bug is excusable, but having no engine noise from the inside in any of the rear engined cars, including the Fiat 500 is plain daft. There is no way in the world that they recorded all or even most of the engine sounds either.
Even worse is the UK map which only has England on it :dopey:

Go into options and select mono instead of stereo sound, i had the same problem with engines not being loud changing to mono fixed this
 
robin2223
I was very annoyed that they downgraded the graphics on most of the tracks from prologue to make the cars slightly better......when im racing I dont see my car, I wana see realistic surroundings.....NY is the worst of all.....all the signs are blurred and the spectators are all cardboard blurs......its has been seriously downgraded :grumpy: ......I now play the track on prologue because it looks way better...goodness know how good the other tracks looked in pre-testing before they pumped up the cars graphics...... :crazy: .....they must have been amazing, thats probably why ssr11 wet was cut...

I really havent seen any diffrences in detail from prolouge, it looks exactly the same to me
 
i disagree on that last part because i though the nurbergring was worth the time and effort spent on it because its a great track 5/5 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍
 
Back