AI Car Engine sounds!

Does anyone know why the AI cars on GT1 make that weird engine sound. Instead of using the sound programed for that car, it uses this other sound. Anyone who has driving a Toyota Levin GT-APEX/Trueno GT-APEX on GT1 should know what I am talking about!

It makes one sound for turbo cars, another sound for NA cars, and another sound for NA cars that have a 9000RPM+ redline. Depending on RPM's for each car, these sounds change pitch.

No, thats on GT2. On GT1, there is only one sound. Trust me, I am sure of it!

Edit: I am talking about the AI car. On GT1, the only sound for the AI is one where it sounds like a person Humming and breathing at the same time. I did a test once. I went onto Grand Valley speedway, I knocked an AI off at the first corner, then at the end of the race, watched the replay of him driving around on his larry. Well, in realality, I was listening to it if anything!

P.S: Do this yourself. You'll see what I am talking about then!

Yeah, that sound does get pretty annoying, but atleast in GT2 it was nice to listen to the Turbo cars sounds, as it is not the real sound, its really a pissed off Miata with a turbo hiss. :)

I think GT2 has the same humming sound as in GT1 for thier cars, but thats it. Have you ever raced a turbo car on GT1? I don't have it, but just checking.

Yeah, that sound does get pretty annoying, but atleast in GT2 it was nice to listen to the Turbo cars sounds, as it is not the real sound, its really a pissed off Miata with a turbo hiss. :)

I think GT2 has the same humming sound as in GT1 for thier cars, but thats it. Have you ever raced a turbo car on GT1? I don't have it, but just checking.
Yep! I have even listened to an AI turbo cars engine, and it sounds exactly the same as the non-turbo. But read post 3, and do that test I told you about. You can do it in arcade mode, infact that is the best way to do it!

It was probably easier to do so than to program individual engine noises for each car.

I noticed it as well... Very intriguing. Sounds like a dead Lister to me.

Does anyone know why the AI cars on GT1 make that weird engine sound. Instead of using the sound programed for that car, it uses this other sound. Anyone who has driving a Toyota Levin GT-APEX/Trueno GT-APEX on GT1 should know what I am talking about!

The original Playstation/PS1 only had so much processing power, therefore games made for Ps1 can only carry so much information reliably without extra glitches showing up. And so they made all the Ai cars in GT1 have the same engine noise to save memory for other features of the game (like 166+ cars, multiple tracks with a fair amount of scenery, etc). GT2 is also guilty of this.

I'm not gonna get this exactly right, but a GT1 disc has a significant amount of its memory used for game information, more than many other games from its time...I think 75%....and GT2 used even more memory (closer to 90%?). Sportwagon knows the answer to this, I can't remember exactly.

The PS2 obviously has more processing power than a PS1. 👍

Last edited:
Thanks Parnelli. I remeber when I got GT3 I staright away did a simple race on the Super Speedway, then listened to the engine sound of the A.I on the replay just to check! :lol:

Thanks Parnelli. I remeber when I got GT3 I staright away did a simple race on the Super Speedway, then listened to the engine sound of the A.I on the replay just to check! :lol:

Me too. That's one of the reasons I dug GT3 so much (for awhile)...each individual ai car had its own sound. I was in heaven for a few months.

Last edited:
Me too. That's one of the reasons i dug GT3 so much (for awhile)...each individual ai car had its own sound. I was in heaven for a few months.

And yet, remember the opening movie for GT4, when those Group C racers would roar by first on La Sarthe, then at El Capitan? They all had one sound... A sharp buzzing or grinding was what I recall.

And yet, remember the opening movie for GT4, when those Group C racers would roar by first on La Sarthe, then at El Capitan? They all had one sound... A sharp buzzing or grinding was what I recall.

Huh. Well the one thing that sucks about later games is (with some LM and supercars) they used some really ugly sounds. I've heard a Ford GT in real-life. They sound NOTHING like the car in GT4, which sounds like a dentist's drill. :(

Last edited:
That is sad. Maybe PD only programmed the sound from the inside of the car for the entire thing, as opposed to seperate tones for the interior noise and the exhaust note. It would be probably no doubt that this would have taken up too much space and time, both for producing it and loading it...

That is sad. Maybe PD only programmed the sound from the inside of the car for the entire thing, as opposed to seperate tones for the interior noise and the exhaust note. It would be probably no doubt that this would have taken up too much space and time, both for producing it and loading it...

No, I'm convinced (for the Ford GT in GT4) that they did not record the Ford GT....I'm not even sure they recorded an actual car! I swear...it sounds like a dentist's drill or some sort of carpentry tool or something. :indiff:

Last edited:
Oh. Hearing it, I'm beginning to agree with you. I was racing a Panoz Esperante, and I don't know if it was just the wind noise, but the car sounds like an asthmatic accordian. Can this be confirmed? At least in GT3, it sounded like a remixed GT40, but now this?

P.S: Do tuned musclecars actually sound THAT AWFUL when tuned in real life?

P.S: Do tuned musclecars actually sound THAT AWFUL when tuned in real life?

NO absolutely not. Bobk got it right: Polyphony Digital got it way wrong (at least for the Ford GT). The thing that puzzles me: Kazunori (main creator of GT) actually owns a white Ford GT in real life, it's his well-documented pride & joy! How he let the dentist drill GT slip by I have no clue. Maybe he's too busy being rich! :crazy:

Some lady (yes a lady) who lives near me actually owns a Ford GT, it sounds more like a typical V8 with a bassy burble that melts into a snarl as the revs climb. She took off right in front of me one day as we sat at a red lite, I'll never forget the sound. :dopey:

Last edited:
You got that right! Except maybe the Toyota GT-Ones...

Parnelli: Man, you got to introduce me to her!

BobK: That's good to know, especially at full-throttle. But, how about with a racing muffler?

Parnelli: Man, you got to introduce me to her!

Really? I have no idea who she is but she's pushing 50; apparently a mid-life crisis gal. 👍 But it's funny because one time I saw her GT40 parked at Safeway, so I assume she was getting groceries just like I was :lol:

Last edited:
Actually, the holder of the rights to the name "GT40" prevented the new Ford GT from being called "GT40".

Actually, the holder of the rights to the name "GT40" prevented the new Ford GT from being called "GT40".

Interesting. Yeah I was wondering about that.

You know someone who owns a Ford GT. Dam You!

I don't actually know her. She probably lives up in the woods where are the giant rich-people houses are.

Last edited:
Yeah, you have to be rich to own a supercar. Does anyone know if any cars in GT1 sound like their real life counterparts!

I can vouch for the Camaro since I've driven that era before. I mean, it aint perfect, but it's pretty close. I've also driven plenty of Civics at my work. I know the "tapping" you hear is supposed to be the VTEC system kicking in, but honestly I have yet to hear it in a real-life car; at least, to the extent that the game portrays it.

GT1 has a particular turbo "whine" sound (rather than the wooosh heard in later games) and this is not very realistic, although it is kinda cool sounding!

Last edited:
That's interesting. I should listen for that next time I drive my Honda product.

That turbo sound was amazing and yet a bit irritating in the GT2 demo, being a lot different and more prominent in the cars. The flaw there was that the Ford Mustang, a NA car, had it as well...

That's interesting. I should listen for that next time I drive my Honda product.

That turbo sound was amazing and yet a bit irritating in the GT2 demo, being a lot different and more prominent in the cars. The flaw there was that the Ford Mustang, a NA car, had it as well...

Yeah, well in GT2 they simulated the wastegate & suction of a turbo, but it's way too loud! Sometimes it's so loud it overpowers the actual engine sound! I've watched plenty of races in the Le Mans series, and ESPN GT stuff, I have yet to hear wwwssssssshsshhhhhhh overpower an engine! :grumpy:

Last edited:
Back