AI Car Engine sounds!

Yeah, well in GT2 they simulated the wastegate & suction of a turbo, but it's way too loud! Sometimes it's so loud it overpowers the actual engine sound! I've watched plenty of races in the Le Mans series, and ESPN GT stuff, i have yet to hear wwwssssssshsshhhhhhh overpower an engine! :grumpy:
You should hear a tuned S4 or STi in real life, sometimes the turbo can hurt your ears!

You should hear a tuned S4 or STi in real life, sometimes the turbo can hurt your ears!

Well this guy who has an STi near where I work obviously has an aftermarket turbo on it. It's the first time I actually heard a wastegate on a real-life car. The dude drives it by and it goes

bddddddddddddmmmm woosh bdddddddmmmm wiioosh

Anyways it's good to know sometimes turbos do make a lot of noise. All the cars we work on at my shop are mostly stock...we don't accept much aftermarket stuff because we can't make money off it as easily (the problems you encounter on a car that's modified often take too long to correct since the owner didn't install it right or something.).

Last edited:
If you want to know what engine sounds they got wrong, then look no futher than almost every ****ing car in Gran Turismo 4. WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!

Thats not true. Most of the Japanese cars sound right. But thats it. As for the Corvette C5-R and the CLK GTR sounding the same, thats just diabolical.

The sound on GT1 was probanly the best at the time. And GT2 was better. Obviously they couldn't be perfect due to the restrictions of the system.

Thats not true. Most of the Japanese cars sound right. But thats it. As for the Corvette C5-R and the CLK GTR sounding the same, thats just diabolical.

The sound on GT1 was probanly the best at the time. And GT2 was better. Obviously they couldn't be perfect due to the restrictions of the system.

True. Interestingly, it appears that PD used the same engine note and tone for all cars, but extensively corrected each one to suit the car. If you listen, it seems that way. It was still effective, though.

GT2 broke away from this concept completely.

All I have to say is they did a great job. They coulda just made it so that ALL the cars (including the ones you drive) sound the same. The fact that they didn't is a great bit of detail. 👍 And anyways, I do believe they did record some of the cars in the game...PD has direct access to many real-life Japanese cars. I read in that Car & Driver interview how Japanese car-makers sometimes loan PD cars, just so the designers, programmers, and GT technicians have total access to make the cars as realistic as possible. 💡

Last edited:
Well this cat who has an STi near where i work obviously has an aftermarket turbo on it. It's the first time i actualy heard a wastegate on a real-life car. The dude drives it by and it goes

bddddddddddddmmmm *woosh* bdddddddmmmm *wiioosh*

anyways it's good to know sometimes turbos do make alot of noise. All the cars we work on at my shop are mostly stock...we dont accept much aftermarket stuff cuz we can't make money off it as easily (the problems you encounter on a car that's modified often take too long to correct cuz the owner didn't install it right or something.).
One thing you have to remember is you are usually installing an oversized sage 4 turbo kit, so that means that it's meant to be loud. :)

Yesterday I went to New Jersey to visit a friend and I noticed that in some huge TRUCKS, you can hear turbos whining along. Forgot about those huge semis with their turbo-diesel motors...

Last edited:
WEll yesterday i went to New Jersey to visit a friend and i noticed that in some huge TRUCKS, you can hear turbos whining along. Forgot about those huge semis with their turbo-diesel motors...
Especially the Peterbilt 379, 362, and 335.

Come on, I should know, I do drive buses with turbo lag and over 2700nW of torque... Some times the turbo sound is loud enough to make you want to close the window. :grumpy:

Back