Alfa Romeo Strikes a Chord With Tonale Concept

Looks out of date to me, like an early 00s concept.
I now half agree with this. The "but" is that it's about as up to date looking as the CX-3(that could pass as an Alfa itself). It sure does look like a modern Alfa 147. To me, that's not a bad thing(here comes another but), it doesn't look fresh either. Guess I'm a bit torn because it maintains the style of those Alfas I really like, but it doesn't look "new" like a Giulia looks new. If anyone can understand my meaning.

Here's the leaked production version

https://www.motor1.com/news/375217/alfa-romeo-tonale-photo-leak/

alfa-romeo-tonale-2020.jpg

alfa-romeo-tonale-2020.jpg

Yep, i like it a lot; shame it isn't Rosso Alfa though.

EDIT: Shot of the interiors from it.motor1.com:
alfa-romeo-tonale-2020-fist-leaked-pictures.jpg

Last edited:
I now half agree with this. The "but" is that it's about as up to date looking as the CX-3(that could pass as an Alfa itself). It sure does look like a modern Alfa 147. To me, that's not a bad thing(here comes another but), it doesn't look fresh either. Guess I'm a bit torn because it maintains the style of those Alfas I really like, but it doesn't look "new" like a Giulia looks new. If anyone can understand my meaning.
I prefer it to the Giulia. The Giulia is an acceptable-looking sedan with a few Alfa Romeo features. The Tonale's design looks more deliberate. I expect, and hope, that the Tonale's front and rear detailing will appear with the Giulia facelift.

The "it looks like an old concept" take I've seen a few times on GTP is interesting to me, as it's almost always on something with a fairly clean, uncluttered design. To me these cars don't look dated - they just look more like I'd expect modern cars to look when most of the modern trend for grotesque and over-the-top detailing and surfacing has been exorcised.

This has to be one of the best looking SUV's out there. The Alfa grille and styling features work better here than on the Stelvio imo.

After a surprisingly many number of years later, new photos of it have cropped up

View attachment 1106560

View attachment 1106561

View attachment 1106562
Hmm...are they going with retro 156 styling or what? The front headlights literally look like an old 156, stretched. The 159 and Brera were so badass, I'm not sure why they didn't stick with that design theme. Alfa's current faces are pretty miserable, let's be honest. The Brera's facias were some of the best to ever grace the auto industry as a whole.

Last edited:
Hmm...are they going with retro 156 styling or what? The front headlights literally look like an old 156, stretched. The 159 and Brera were so badass, I'm not sure why they didn't stick with that design theme. Alfa's current faces are pretty miserable, let's be honest. The Brera's facias were some of the best to ever grace the auto industry as a whole.
If you want to know how it really looks, it's right here, on the previous page. Crazy how it was completely leaked 2 years ago.

If you want to know how it really looks, it's right here, on the previous page. Crazy how it was completely leaked 2 years ago.
Lmao nice. I does actually look decent but very silly that it's been revealed and they're still putting camo on the prototypes.

Lmao nice. I does actually look decent but very silly that it's been revealed and they're still putting camo on the prototypes.
It wasn't really revealed, it was leaked. That said, there might be some details that changed since then. For example, the leaked car seems to have hidden rear door handles, while the real car has normal handles. Also, if you look at the leaked interior picture in a post above, I think that they've improved the infotainement since then, the spyshots of the interior seems to show a slightly bigger screen.

It wasn't really revealed, it was leaked. That said, there might be some details that changed since then. For example, the leaked car seems to have hidden rear door handles, while the real car has normal handles. Also, if you look at the leaked interior picture in a post above, I think that they've improved the infotainement since then, the spyshots of the interior seems to show a slightly bigger screen.
Also I notice that the leaked car is definitely just an enterior mockup with blacked-out windows. Probably a rolling clay model.

Well, this Alfa Romeo isn't gorgeous. In fact, the last gorgeous Alfa Romeo was the 4C. This Tonale concept doesn't have the same loveliness as the Giulia or even its SUV mate, the Stelvio. And if I may say so, it has some Jeep boldness to it up front.

Consenting to an NFT to ensure your new Alfa doesn't depreciate by more than 50% over the first few years. :lol:

Tonale has been officially unveiled. I'm ambivalent towards it. Not bad looking, but feels kind of dated, and sort of resembles a previous-gen Hyundai Tucson from some angles.

2023-Alfa-Romeo-Tonale-Lead-1024x555.jpg

Tonale has been officially unveiled. I'm ambivalent towards it. Not bad looking, but feels kind of dated, and sort of resembles a previous-gen Hyundai Tucson from some angles.

2023-Alfa-Romeo-Tonale-Lead-1024x555.jpg

Nice Interior, hope this upgrade in tech moves towards the other models ASAP. Love my Giulia but the tech is so old!

Also, size of a CX-5 but shorter, will be nice to see these. I like it from most angles, but the bottom half of the rear isnt very nice.

I have mixed feelings about this. From the side and back, it's largely fine but from the front...

One of the commenters in Top Gear comment section summed it up nicely for me, and I paraphrase: "It looks depressed for existing."

I actually quite like the front, but I can't put my finger on why...
that aside, the way the trim lights up for the ambient lighting is quite neat
desktop.jpg

Last edited:
The front silhouette doesn’t relay what the front view looks like. With a CX-3, the side looks as dynamic as the front. Here, I love that the Alfa front overhang is non-existent( like classic Alfas and BMWs). However, it looks so different to the front fascia. Maybe it’s the Color and the lower front lip throwing me off.

Considering how dumpy its segment rivals can look, the X1 and Q3 (at least the previous gen of) i don't think it looks too bad for a talled, small platform.

I think it will be dependant on spec though, just like the larger Stelvio is. Spec a Stelvio (or Macan for that matter) on the smallest wheels that are available in the regular non-sporty trim and paint it in a dull colour and they loose all visual dynamism. This too will easily get lost in the sea of small and medium crossovers that populate our roads.

I think it's better looking than the Stelvio. The Guilia still looks better purely down to proportions but I wouldn't mind a sedan with this design language at all. I've never liked the rear of the Guilia and I think this style would translate well. It reminds me of a 159 cross pollinated with a GTV6 the way the front end appears to really lean forward.

My criticism is that it's super squinty like everything else these days.

The proportions aren't perfect but the graphics are great. I like it. It looks more like an Alfa than the Giulia or Stelvio.

I think the car looks quite nice from certain angles, the green introduced from the GUILIA GTA: M is a very nice shade. Here's a nice video talking more about the toenail, I mean Tonale...ohh dammit.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back