Alfa Romeo Strikes a Chord With Tonale Concept

It's not sure if you're serious.

tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

As an alfista, I don't know what to think about this. Another SUV after Stelvio. At least this design is a lot Alfa Romeo which is important I think, lights, rims, everything recognizable

Looks out of date to me, like an early 00s concept.

Disagree a lot. When I think of Early 2000s concept cars, it was all about J Mays-type simplified, non-seamless surfaces stuck together . Almost everything was deliberately "chunky" and "assembled" looking. Think of all ford "new edge" designs or anything Renault of the period.

The Alfa is far more organic and flowing. If anything, I would say it's more harking back to early-mid 90s concept cars, which were generally more curvaceous/organic.

Great looking car for the wife, but needs a good 400hp and rear biased awd.

400hp in something that small? That's not even necessary. At a presumed 236hp between the petrol engine and electric motor, it should be more than enough to make it decently quick.

Looks out of date to me, like an early 00s concept.

It really does, there was lots of very curvy concepts going around at that time as after the millennium manufacturers were trying to move away from the rather boxy 90's but ultimately the rather angular trend continued. This looks like it could have been a project for Alfa from that era, like a Brera SUV concept. Even the interior looks like a stereotypical design of that time. It can be considered a classic or an out of date design though.

Well, Alfa really put its best foot forward by calling it the toenail.
Looks like it can go at a decent clip.
A pox on both your houses! Or perhaps a bad case of athlete's foot.

It's not sure if you're serious.
I know I already quoted you on this, but I think I misread "It's" as "I'm", and I admit I'm now unsure what you meant what you actually said.

I know I already quoted you on this, but I think I misread "It's" as "I'm", and I admit I'm now unsure what you meant what you actually said.

:lol:

The car appears to be not sure whether you're serious. I took your response as cleverly saying that the car's squint was more of a serious face itself.

:lol:

The car appears to be not sure whether you're serious. I took your response as cleverly saying that the car's squint was more of a serious face itself.
Ye-yeeeeaaahh...no, yeah, that's absolutely it was. I was just joking with that bit before.

:P

Seriously, thanks for clearing that up. As for the car...I don't see it as a squint. I can absolutely see how others might, but the thought didn't even enter my mind.

Funny that the nod response to the misread statement still works as a squinting response--Clint has levels.

Ye-yeeeeaaahh...no, yeah, that's absolutely it was. I was just joking with that bit before.

:P

Seriously, thanks for clearing that up. As for the car...I don't see it as a squint. I can absolutely see how others might, but the thought didn't even enter my mind.

Funny that the nod response to the misread statement still works as a squinting response--Clint has levels.

To be honest I'm almost as entertained by our miscommunication as I was by the original exchange.

400hp in something that small? That's not even necessary. At a presumed 236hp between the petrol engine and electric motor, it should be more than enough to make it decently quick.
This is the era of excess. For our sins everything must be bigger, heavier, faster and more aggressive, rather than smaller, lighter, simple fun and accessible.

Cynicism aside though, this was one of the more attractive concepts at Geneva. It didn't actually look too massive or threatening (despite the scowl of the headlights) and it does suggest Alfa's styling is going in a more distinctive direction, given the Giulia and Stelvio are pleasant but slightly nondescript in some respects.

I'd like to see this front end language adopted by the current range, moving away from the "pork chop" lights of the Stelvio and [to a lesser extent] Giulia.

Edit: It might be hard to realize for production, but I think much of the drama in it can be retained even if the slit is made wider...but then it's even closer to the Brera.

I think they did do a decent job of retaining the drama in the front end while still widening the slit, but it doesn't look at all like a Brera as I predicted. Nice.

The rear isn't working for me; particularly to bit of the liftgate and quarter panels below the taillights. It's just so barren.

Back