All About Tyres - And They Are Visibly Worn Out Now

• Thread starter GordonS
  • 61 comments
wish to be able to change the tyres to any other compound that the hard slicks.
Any idea on when this will be possible in GTS?

It's a nice detail but I'd prefer to have a tire model (if it exists I don't feel it through the wheel). The way some cars snap instantly without giving any physical information through the wheel can be frustrating sometimes, especially if you're driving on the limit to set top10 times without any aids.

I guess I would never find out that the tires have visual differences for various degrees of tire wear. :)

Unfortunately, tires are the main issue with a lot of sims. Tires should be the main focus!

Sadly we will never see true tyre wear because of the ridiculous short races in gt-short. Only faked 3x or 5x tyrewear.... because of the realistic fia aspect :)

Attachments

• spongebob-rainbow-meme-video-16x9.jpg
    spongebob-rainbow-meme-video-16x9.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 30
wow, fantastic...we have tire wear which is never visible...but we have not new tracks
I think you might be overestimating the amount of resources this took to implement. It's a fairly trivial feature and GT is not the first game to do it. The reason people are impressed is because it is a detail that most wouldn't ever notice that they added anyway.

What I find most notable is that PD never mentioned it. Most developers these days are so afraid of people not seeing every texture and polygon they put into the game that they often praise details that really have no substance.

Polyphony is probably aware that this really isn't a particularly praiseworthy detail but they did it anyway. I think that's commendable.

Am i feeling it right, when the race starts the tires are cold? But when i pit the new tires are warm?

I could really use a indicator if there is something to the tire temperature...

Totally agree. Would like to see tyre wear as well as tyre temp indicators like the other racing games.
Usually try to warm up my tyres during the few seconds in the warm up lap and would be nice to know if this helps.

Am i feeling it right, when the race starts the tires are cold? But when i pit the new tires are warm?

I could really use a indicator if there is something to the tire temperature...
Now that you mention it, I do have understeer every first few laps of the race. But I don't notice any difference in tire grip if there's no tire wear involved. But it could just be me since first lap pressure is a thing :dopey:

I’d rather have tyre pressure and temperature over eye candy that most will never ever notice...

Thats exactly the point. The name of the Game is "The real driving SIMULATOR".
From that point of view it would be veeeeeery nice, if PD would patch the game and bring tyre pressure and temperature into it !!!!!
It does not interest me how the tyre LOOKS. Much more important is how it FEELS..... ;-)

Which "staff" ? ...I think the staff that worked on the tyre graphics could probably be working on other things too..

They spent time doing this? Yet there is no tire smoke or marks?! What a joke

If I were the tire engineer, yes I would do this. Texture change when tire wear in 0-30/31-60/61-100% is useful information if I cannot access the debug console at the time.

No smoke or marks? Blame the visual artists :P

What if tyre temperature/pressure were programmed in GT all along, but we were never able to access the debug menu that shows these...

What if tyre temperature/pressure were programmed in GT all along, but we were never able to access the debug menu that shows these...
Weren't there tyre pressure monitors in GT6? Can't remember if those were spotted in GT Sport leaked HUD photos.

Has anyone taken a pic after flat spotting a tire?
Through a quick test it seems that even with no ABS, you cannot lock the tyres. They rotate a bit with ABS 0. So the tyres wear out evenly all their surface. I've found no flat spot evidence.
This is very strange. The tyre/braking physics seem to be work in progress.
There also seems to be some strange tyre roll behaviour when using the emergecy/hand brake. More test is needed..

Would you rather have **** like tyre wear or additional tracks like Trial Mountain. I've never looked at the tyres. Why would I. Classic example of PD spending time on the wrong things.

Would you rather have **** like tyre wear or additional tracks like Trial Mountain. I've never looked at the tyres. Why would I. Classic example of PD spending time on the wrong things.
Most likely the track dev staff don't have anything to do with the tyre physics. By the way, there is news already of an old track coming to GTS. It was here on GTPlanet a while ago.

Most likely the track dev staff don't have anything to do with the tyre physics. By the way, there is news already of an old track coming to GTS. It was here on GTPlanet a while ago.

It's not tyre physics, it's a graphic. That's a body on the dev team working on something that's not even in the nice to have column which could be exchanged for something in the must have.

Through a quick test it seems that even with no ABS, you cannot lock the tyres. They rotate a bit with ABS 0. So the tyres wear out evenly all their surface. I've found no flat spot evidence.
This is very strange. The tyre/braking physics seem to be work in progress.
There also seems to be some strange tyre roll behaviour when using the emergecy/hand brake. More test is needed..
Quoting myself because a little update regarding the topic.
(GT Sport v1.40) I had a test event where I used a variety of cars, tires and setups in burnouts, ABS off situations, hand brake pulls and also with high camber back tires. The formula cars are naturally easiest to test and observe because open wheel characteristics.
No changes has occured in melting patterns of the tires. It's same as before in the early stages of GTS when I noticed it:

(Just a quick remainder that in Gran Turismo Sport Beta test it was possible to fully lock the tires in ABS off maximum braking. There was no flat spotting in GTS Beta.)
In GT Sport with the normal or supercars (LaFerrari) it seems that there is not possible to steer anymore with full braking with ABS off. Racing cars still seem to obey steering inputs in some extent during "fully locked" max force ABS off braking in straight line action. At brake balance even (0) the brake gauge shows the full force, as before. And as before, the wheels rotate slightly when ABS off. THIS hints that the devs don't want to, or can't, with current hardware to implement flat spots on the tires. This is evident especially when trying to lock the rears with the hand brake: the back wheels keep rolling even in this situation.

Regarding the full width tire surface, with the SuperFormula, I also tested maximum rear camber in wear and melting: the whole tire width suffered evenly. Of course, in this situation the inside surface would have had to wear out clearly first.
Maybe in the next GT.. Thank you.

Back