All Japan GT Championship

• Thread starter ppucci
  • 52 comments
Hey guys,

I am starting to race the All Japan GTC and, believe it or not, I am having a hard time :)

I am racing with a 350Z Option Stream Z (is that the name?) that I received as a prize before, with 700+hp, and either I am a terrible high-power-driver or I am using the wrong car. Is it too powerfull for the job? Should I get a JGTC car instead? I wanted to race the series with a fair car, I thought the 350Z would be too much but I was not able to win any race!

Make sure you are using racing tyres. I did this championship in a Zonda LM and at the first race I found myself in a race-long scrap for second, eventually spinning off. At the next race I found that I had been using sports tyres! Naturally, I fitted race tires which the AI were using and won the rest of the races easily to take the championship.

ppucci
Hey guys,

I am starting to race the All Japan GTC and, believe it or not, I am having a hard time :)

I am racing with a 350Z Option Stream Z (is that the name?) that I received as a prize before, with 700+hp, and either I am a terrible high-power-driver or I am using the wrong car. Is it too powerfull for the job? Should I get a JGTC car instead? I wanted to race the series with a fair car, I thought the 350Z would be too much but I was not able to win any race!

the car is the problem,the option stream z has horrible turbo lag 👎 ,if u got the money buy a jgtc and race that stock(with an oil change of course) :dunce: lol,thats what i won with was a jgtc supra i think the au cerumo.

You can win in a GT300 car or in a DTM if you have any of thoes.

I did this race in my WRX with some mods and took 1st in every race without any problem. If you click on the link in my signature, you can open a database of all the races I have done with lap times included. You can then click on the car tab at the bottom to see each specific setup.

To get more points out of the race, you should be able to take the NOS off as I didn't need it. I think there was one race I used it in, just to see what difference it made in my lap time.

EDIT: My mistake, I took 2nd at Suzuka (the one I used NOS on) because I flew off the track into the dirt on the last lap trying to achieve a top speed.

I have to agree,

the option stream is dreadful to race, and has sports tyres as standard. I've kept mine as a practice car, it's ridiculous enough to be fun.

I think I did the Japanese GT in a tuned '91 NSX with about 400bhp and race tyres, won it without any serious problems.

Good Luck,

Kurtis.

But if you enter All JGTC with a street car, will your opponents be street cars as well? Because I was racing against JGTC cars!!!

ppucci
But if you enter All JGTC with a street car, will your opponents be street cars as well? Because I was racing against JGTC cars!!!

Ok, so I have to ask, what is a JGTC car, and how can you tell whether or not a given car is one? Same with the GT300, and the LMPs. I know that the LM cars state that they are LM Race cars like the Camaro, GT, and some others, but I've never seen anything ending with JGTC, GT300, or LMP.

chevguy
Ok, so I have to ask, what is a JGTC car, and how can you tell whether or not a given car is one? Same with the GT300, and the LMPs. I know that the LM cars state that they are LM Race cars like the Camaro, GT, and some others, but I've never seen anything ending with JGTC, GT300, or LMP.

As far as I know, JGTC stands for Japanese Gran Turismo Championship, and a JGTC car is street card with modifications and tunned for racing (those cars with advertisement). GTC is the same, but American, not japanese. DTM cars are Deutschen Tourenwagen Masters cars, they are GTC cars from German manufacturers.

LM cars ar cars used to race Le Mans races, those 24 hour races (Audi A8, Pescarolo, Judd, blablabla).

Can't tell about GT300...

ppucci
As far as I know, JGTC stands for Japanese Gran Turismo Championship, and a JGTC car is street card with modifications and tunned for racing (those cars with advertisement). GTC is the same, but American, not japanese. DTM cars are Deutschen Tourenwagen Masters cars, they are GTC cars from German manufacturers.

LM cars ar cars used to race Le Mans races, those 24 hour races (Audi A8, Pescarolo, Judd, blablabla).

Can't tell about GT300...

So then the Subaru WRX Touring car is a JGTC car and the Mercedes CLK Touring car is a GTC car?

colnago
I actually found the BMW GTR Race Car (sans oil change) to offer the best/closest racing. Especially since there is no other place to use the car "unmodified".

Shouldn't All JGTC be limited to japanese cars?

If the Mercedes CLK Touring car is the one I'm thinking about its a LM car!

ppucci: I suppose you are in doubt when a race car is a [insert country] GT or LM car. When in doubt just look at the number of stock hp! GT class cars will have between 300-400 hp and LM cars will have usually above 500hp.

I raced a Z concept racecar that's red, white, and blue (just the colors, not patriotic or anything) that you get from one of those Japan events. I bought the few things you could get for it and it worked pretty well. The handling could be better, and I ended up in 6th for a couple of the races by going off track and slamming into 90* turns. I dunno... that's just what I used.

The All-Japan GT Championship (JGTC) has changed its name to "Super GT" this year. Here's the official web site:

http://www.jgtc.net/

(That link will automatically direct you to the new version of the web site:

http://supergt.net/en/

Click on "Teams and Drivers" to see all the cars. Click on the individual "Entrant" name to see photos.)

In GT4, the cars in that series are all from 2004 or earlier, so they are still referred to as JGTC cars. To see the complete list of all 24 of them, go to this web site, type in JGTC in the "Quick Car Search" window at the top, and click "Go":

http://www.gtvault.com/gt4/index/

That is the complete and total number of JGTC cars in GT4, period. The Subaru Super Touring Car is NOT a JGTC car. Its one of the "Dream Cars" that PD has thrown into the game just for fun. Run it in the series if you like, but if you want authenticity, you should be using the Subaru Cusco Advan Impreza.

ppucci
Shouldn't All JGTC be limited to japanese cars?
Actually NO. I'm positive a Lamborghini Diablo has participated in the series (it was IN the Japanese version of GT3 & "Hidden" but unlockable in the NTSC version). I "think" a BMW MacLaren F1 GTR & Dodge Viper have also taken part in the series.

To answer another query, although I'm FAR from an expert on the JGTC I believe there are two divisions. JGTC300 includes cars like the MAZDA "Amemiya/Asparadrink" RX-7 & TOYOTA "WedsSport" Celica (which are both lots of FUN to use for this series.) JGTC500 includes the Supras, Skylines & NSXs...O.G. :D

thanks, that's an awesome list. does GT4 ever refer to these cars as JGTC or is that just something that people here use to describe the classes?

chevguy
...does GT4 ever refer to these cars as JGTC or is that just something that people here use to describe the classes?...

Look them up in the game and you'll see that each one has (JGTC) at the end of its official name.

the way to tell the difference between the GT300 and GT500 cars is by looking at the hp.
its pretty obvious at that point... (~300hp vs ~500hp)

iirc you don't win any of them... so you'll have to buy one.
they're all in the showrooms.
like if you goto toyota there is a whole bunch of supras + a cellica (and maybe a mr-s)
honda has a bunch of nsxs etc..

Here's a cheap alternative; buy a car to compete in the Kcar cup in the Suzuki manufacturers races. Win the S2 concept to compete in the Concepts race. The S2 will need some mods to beat the GSX/R's. You'll win a GSX/R. It is by far one of the best cars in the game. I easily won the JGTC with a heavily modified GSX/R. It's already light as a feather so further weight reduction isn't necessary. It is an easy 200 Aspec point win. I have also used it in several other races; All Japan Championship, Turbo, N/A, to name a few. It takes a little practice to get the handling down. It corners as fast as the LMP's that is where it makes up for it's low horsepower shortfall.

JParker

GT300 Class:

1. ASL Arta Garaiya (JGTC) '03
2. RE Amemiya Asparadrink RX-7 (JGTC) '04
3. Cusco Advan Subaru Impreza (JGTC) '03
4. Toyota Wedssport Celica (JGTC) '03
5. Toyota Superautobacs Apex MR-S (JGTC) '00
6. Nissan C-West Razo Silvia (JGTC) '01

All the rest are GT500 cars.

Old Geezer
...I "think" a BMW MacLaren F1 GTR & Dodge Viper have also taken part in the series...

You are correct sir. I only used the BMW GTR "Race Car" in the JGTC because there was no other place to run it "against even competition".

ppucci
As far as I know, JGTC stands for Japanese Gran Turismo Championship, and a JGTC car is street card with modifications and tunned for racing (those cars with advertisement). GTC is the same, but American, not japanese. DTM cars are Deutschen Tourenwagen Masters cars, they are GTC cars from German manufacturers...

I believe the JGTC cars aren't just "street cars with paint and decals", but more like "silhouettes", where the body panels are made out of lightweight materials and "shaped like" the street car...however they sit on top of racing chassis. The same for the DTM cars. I know for sure that the Audi TT, in the DTM, was a "stretched" frame, so they could slip...well, more like "shove" in the V-8 its using.

colnago
I believe the JGTC cars aren't just "street cars with paint and decals", but more like "silhouettes", where the body panels are made out of lightweight materials and "shaped like" the street car...however they sit on top of racing chassis.

Yep, and more. From the Super GT web site:

In the world of Hako (Tintop/Sedan-type) racing, the AUTOBACS SUPER GT Series features not only the best racing, but also the greatest variety of participating models of car. In terms of makes involved in the series, there are no fewer than 13 companies present: Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mazda, Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru), ASL (Garaiya), Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Vemac, Chevrolet and Mosler are all represented in this most exciting of championships. Regarding manufacturers, no fewer than five countries are represented: Japan, Germany, Italy, Great Britain, and the U.S. all play a big role in the series.

Among these manufacturers, Toyota, Nissan and Honda all support the racing development of their representative models at the manufacturer level. Toyota's Supra, Nissan's Fairlady Z (350Z), and Honda's NSX as entered in the GT500 class all feature works operations specially dedicated to the success of their respective models in SUPER GT. Naturally, this creates a fiercely competitive environment, promoting constant development of the cars. Because of this manufacturer commitment coupled with advanced technology, the SUPER GT Series can boast the highest speeds of any 'Hako' racing series in the world.

The reason for such a high level of performance is the fact that the series' regulations permit a great degree of latitude when it comes to car modification. As long as the cabin area of participating machines is left alone, the area ahead of the bulkhead and behind the cabin can utilize tube frame construction. Suspension modifications are free, and in-board type double wishbone technology, such as used on formula cars, is permitted. Engines can be the standard units as sold in the road-going version of the participating model; or can be another powerplant from the same manufacturer. Adding supercharging components such as turbos is also permitted. Engine orientation (transverse, longitudinal), is also allowed as long as it remains within the original engine bay. Regulations governing transmission position and replacement are also free.

Electronic devices that assist drivers such as ABS and traction control are strictly prohibited, even if these devices are standard on the road-going version of the participating car. Also, carbon brakes are prohibited due to cost escalation. Regarding aerodynamics, there are restrictions in the size and installation location of elements such as spoilers and wings.

Among the wide range of modifications allowed in the series, there are strict regulations governing these modifications. This creates a unique balance, prompting the participation of a wide range of models in SUPER GT.

Minimum weight and rules covering restrictors, engine format and displacement, drive systems and unusual ability in competition create a rivalry that is as finely tuned as the cars themselves. Even curious and uncommon cars can approach this series expecting a closely-fought battle. In qualifying, it's common for the top ten and more cars to line up within a second of pole time. In the races, it's not only the fight for the win that's enthralling; competitors further down the field wage ferocious battles as they hustle for position.

The cars are different, and the possibility for a broad range of machines to win is readily apparent. Because the series provides fascinating and glamorous battles, all kinds of cars participate. In 2005, SUPER GT turned to a international GT racing series, which will encourage non-Japanese works teams to join SUPER GT more.

They're really, really fast because the rules are wide-open. They're "funny cars", much like NASCAR, not just modified production cars.

colnago
I believe the JGTC cars aren't just "street cars with paint and decals", but more like "silhouettes", where the body panels are made out of lightweight materials and "shaped like" the street car...however they sit on top of racing chassis. The same for the DTM cars. I know for sure that the Audi TT, in the DTM, was a "stretched" frame, so they could slip...well, more like "shove" in the V-8 its using.

Colnago, I know that... I was just trying to make it more clear to our friend to distinguish visually a (J)GTC/DTM car from a street normal car :)

Last year I've been to a what they call "BTM" (Brazilian Tourenwagen Masters) where they use Opel Astra's "silhouettes"... :drool:

Back