Almost had it with GTS.

• Thread starter thestig911
  • 99 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
This is a great game at its core, but just about had it with the online element, and the offline element is not meaty enough. Racing at Suzuka, trying to race clean, had a car trying to overtake me, gave him plenty of room and he still forced me off, ended up on the grass and and orange SR flag, Also in this race a car came out of ghost whilst stationery right in front of me, took action to avoid him, ended up off the track and hit with a 10 second penalty. Then I tried today’s second race in the fittipaldi cards I think it was, total carnage, had to quit. Since yesterday morning my SR rating has gone from S to B, and I have been racing clean throughout. I did accidentally hit someone from behind yesterday on the last lap at interlagos whilst in 4th place, gave him the place back just before the finish line, you don’t get your SR hit cancelled for that though.

Yep, the hand of the almighty needs to go away... and, since the holidays the racing has gotten rather interesting.
Someone noted it and I agree, I think Sr.S needs revised to 95points and above... big difference between those that make every attempt to race clean vs those who happen to get some clean laps in.
Back to the hand of the almighty... I get that it's a game, and people don't want their race ruined, but, the goal is to stay on track and be competitive... when I go off track (be it forced, or, my mistake) I wait for the cars to go by, because I don't feel like being the ghost that screw everyone up, much less the guy that gets un-ghosted and -Sr's some fellow racer due to my misfortune/mistake.

Too many people treating the game like it's do or die... common, it's a game, want real do or die go compete at something in real life, then come back to the game with a better perspective.

Last edited:
TBH you should know by now that the answer is no. Posts like yours are are more pointless and futile than these threads!
But we don't really need another thread regurgitating what has been said about a hundred times already.
I don't have a problem with people complaining rightly or wrongly about issues with the game but creating multiple threads around the same issue rather than posting in an already existing thread doesn't really solve anything.

But we don't really need another thread regurgitating what has been said about a hundred times already.
I don't have a problem with people complaining rightly or wrongly about issues with the game but creating multiple threads around the same issue rather than posting in an already existing thread doesn't really solve anything.
GTPlanet has no upper limit on the number of threads that it can host. There is simply no need to shoehorn all comments of one type into a single location.

I think this one is fairly clear from its title that it's not going to be overwhelmingly positive, so the best course of action if you don't want to read "moaning" threads of this type is not to click on them.

Fittipaldi is a pinball race. Fun when you get competent players, a mess when several people try to win in the first corner and screw up the whole pack's entry into the S curves, chaos, bring out more yellow flags! Then you have to do the 10 lap Suzuka to restore SR after going through the grinder a couple times in a row.

That's what the report button is for.

Well today, one of my first DR B races at Brands. Started at the back, opponents could barely keep their cars on the track. Making a move for 7th, and some idiot who I leave plenty of room for comes out of the pits and cuts right across me sending me into the big run off and I end up nearly at the back. Aaaarrggghhh...

Well today, one of my first DR B races at Brands. Started at the back, opponents could barely keep their cars on the track. Making a move for 7th, and some idiot who I leave plenty of room for comes out of the pits and cuts right across me sending me into the big run off and I end up nearly at the back. Aaaarrggghhh...

Unfortunately, no matter how casual or serious a online racing gamer and that you are, there are people who will not play in the spirit of the game. I’ve learned that as we all are. This is made all the harder when you watch a top GTS peddaller like Z28 Gaming on YouTube be incredibly courteous (even in FIA races if he barely bumps someone he will give place back or hold off for half a lap if stuck behind) you try and follow this then you get taken out. Prime example: yesterday in the Dragon Trail
Gr.4 10 lapper daily race. Quallied 5th. Very close qually times as a relatively simple track vs Suzuka or Brands. Nothing in it. First 2 laps very close with 5 of us up front. A grey Megane (I know the name but will refrain from posting) passes another yellow megane cleanly for the lead.
Yellow Megane doesn’t like it and rubs. Then on exit of pif-paf fast chicane nr end of lap hits brakes in straight line run down to last corner. I was back in 7th or 8th and found myself in a 5 car melée approaching final turn. Yellow Megane stayed ahead of me. Close tussle but never within passig distance and I never had beef with him. We pitted then he overshot T5 right hander then tried to hit me as I passed. Got past no probs and thought no more of it. I am P2 and leader +5 secs ahead. He was gapping me .4secs per lap easy then all of a suddent 2 laps to go gap starts dropping 6>5>4>3 and I see he is fighting with another car, before they both implode in a pike of sand dust at T2. Turns out yellow megane, on deciding not going to win the race, slowed down to a CRAWL and waited for grey megane to come back round before speedig up and crashing him. Tiny loser mindset. Made all the more shocking when you watch the replay.
In an “S” rating race also :(

My view:

After having the red mist come down when I started in GTS (went from an “S” to a “C” rating one morning when Gr.3 race was a Nurburgring Gp 10 lapper) now that I am back up at S I’ll never reliquish being polite and courteous. Fact is if someone has caught me up it’s because they are faster than me and of they make a clean pass, good luck to them and I will say well done at the end of the race. I love a good tussle and if you think about your most enjoyable races I bet they are all where you have had a race even just with 2 cars or 1 and had a lot of fun. If you keep persisting I really believe it evens otself out and you will win more than you lose out.

Unfortunately, no matter how casual or serious a online racing gamer and that you are, there are people who will not play in the spirit of the game. I’ve learned that as we all are. This is made all the harder when you watch a top GTS peddaller like Z28 Gaming on YouTube be incredibly courteous (even in FIA races if he barely bumps someone he will give place back or hold off for half a lap if stuck behind) you try and follow this then you get taken out. Prime example: yesterday in the Dragon Trail
Gr.4 10 lapper daily race. Quallied 5th. Very close qually times as a relatively simple track vs Suzuka or Brands. Nothing in it. First 2 laps very close with 5 of us up front. A grey Megane (I know the name but will refrain from posting) passes another yellow megane cleanly for the lead.
Yellow Megane doesn’t like it and rubs. Then on exit of pif-paf fast chicane nr end of lap hits brakes in straight line run down to last corner. I was back in 7th or 8th and found myself in a 5 car melée approaching final turn. Yellow Megane stayed ahead of me. Close tussle but never within passig distance and I never had beef with him. We pitted then he overshot T5 right hander then tried to hit me as I passed. Got past no probs and thought no more of it. I am P2 and leader +5 secs ahead. He was gapping me .4secs per lap easy then all of a suddent 2 laps to go gap starts dropping 6>5>4>3 and I see he is fighting with another car, before they both implode in a pike of sand dust at T2. Turns out yellow megane, on deciding not going to win the race, slowed down to a CRAWL and waited for grey megane to come back round before speedig up and crashing him. Tiny loser mindset. Made all the more shocking when you watch the replay.

My view:

After having the red mist come down when I started in GTS (went from an “S” to a “C” rating one morning when Gr.3 race was a Nurburgring Gp 10 lapper) now that I am back up at S I’ll never reliquish being polite and courteous. Fact is if someone has caught me up it’s because they are faster than me and of they make a clean pass, good luck to them and I will say well done at the end of the race. I love a good tussle and if you think about your most enjoyable races I bet they are all where you have had a race even just with 2 cars or 1 and had a lot of fun. If you keep persisting I really believe it evens otself out and you will win more than you lose out.

It really is a toss up when it comes to people you are racing against. You have people who know how to hot lap, and you have people who know how to race. Unfortunately, I see more people who know how to hot lap than race. As an example, I'm amazed at how many people do not know how to react to being block passed. I completely avoided using that method to get to an S rating and now I use it regularly. Unfortunately the SR system will hit me with a deduction when I get slammed into while making a block pass but fortunately it is easy to recover the lost SR points. You also have racers who think passing at ever single corner of the track is a great idea. They have zero concept of setting someone up for a pass. It gets frustrating sometimes but it is what it is. The problem is there is no way to teach those racers, and there are zero consequences for acting like an :censored:hat.

All the noobs and not serious players will go at one point. Get to S sta at S and it will be better.

Had today 10plus good races so its not that bad ;)

It really is a toss up when it comes to people you are racing against. You have people who know how to hot lap, and you have people who know how to race. Unfortunately, I see more people who know how to hot lap than race. As an example, I'm amazed at how many people do not know how to react to being block passed. I completely avoided using that method to get to an S rating and now I use it regularly. Unfortunately the SR system will hit me with a deduction when I get slammed into while making a block pass but fortunately it is easy to recover the lost SR points. You also have racers who think passing at ever single corner of the track is a great idea. They have zero concept of setting someone up for a pass. It gets frustrating sometimes but it is what it is. The problem is there is no way to teach those racers, and there are zero consequences for acting like an :censored:hat.

I hoped GTS would actually have some driver lessons teaching racing etiquette and how to overtake. I often get hit by people that only know how to follow the default race line. You go side by side into a corner and they only know how to use the whole road and run into you. Then to top it off they blame you and crash into you on purpose to punt you off the track. When a car is already next to you, you don't have a claim to the apex, outside needs to leave enough room for the inside and inside needs to leave enough room at corner exit.

And trying to overtake in the bus stop chicane on Dragontrail, why...

Oh well I still rather get hit by clueless people than the deliberate running you off track crowd.

My view:

As much as lapped traffic is part of racing, behaviours like this mean that lapped cars need to be ghosted.

I have been taken out by cars I've been lapping countless times. Even to the extent where they indicate, move over, wait for you to get along side and then nerf you off. I've seen one guy take out the first five cars in a single race doing this (Green AMG SLS username witheld).

I've also had a French guy (User name witheld) wait in the manner described above and destroy my race because a yellow car hit him and I was driving a yellow car. I showed him pics from the replay - he was 5 seconds around the track when he was hit by the other car.

Tbh, the first part kinda describes me. I could hot lap but inconsistently with the controller. 3-4 lap races I could just about hold my **** together but in the 10 lappers I often had a self inflicted brain fart that took a few seconds off my time and left me open to attack.
It's one of the reasons I've made the move to a wheel. Not to hide my shortcomings but to overcome them by enforcing control. The things I could get away with using a DS4 are greatly magnified with a wheel.
Plus, I believe asshat is permissible.

Tbh, the first part kinda describes me. I could hot lap but inconsistently with the controller. 3-4 lap races I could just about hold my **** together but in the 10 lappers I often had a self inflicted brain fart that took a few seconds off my time and left me open to attack.
It's one of the reasons I've made the move to a wheel. Not to hide my shortcomings but to overcome them by enforcing control. The things I could get away with using a DS4 are greatly magnified with a wheel.
Plus, I believe asshat is permissible.

I haven't raced using the DS4, but I know I have more control over the steering with the wheel than a controller. Even after playing the game since release, I can't get my brain to recognize my feet on what half throttle or 3/4 throttle is. I was good at that with the triggers (other racing games), but not so much with the pedals. Once I can break that barrier I know my lap times will drop as I will be able to reduce TC.

Since yesterday morning my SR rating has gone from S to B, and I have been racing clean throughout. I did accidentally hit someone from behind yesterday on the last lap at interlagos whilst in 4th place, gave him the place back just before the finish line, you don’t get your SR hit cancelled for that though.

Take it as an opportunity to get some poles, fast laps, and wins.

People get all bent about their rating, but in real life, vehicles get destroyed and you can end up in a hospital. Bad/aggressive driving and unpredictable events happen in real racing all the time. It's part of racing.

People get all bent about their rating, but in real life, vehicles get destroyed and you can end up in a hospital. Bad/aggressive driving and unpredictable events happen in real racing all the time. It's part of racing.

This.

And it happens to professionals who do it for a living and get paid. We're a bunch of wanna-be's playing something that is supposed to be fun. People really need to relax.

Check out the SNAIL Racing League for some of the cleanest racing on GTPlanet. Our mission is to provide our members with clean, intense, and competitive racing - regardless of skill level! We believe that providing full grids of evenly-matched competitions is the most realistic way to race, improve skill, and refine racecraft!

Spec racing ensures that success is determined primarily by driving skill and not by differences in power, gearing, suspension, weight, or aerodynamics. Because variables in the car are eliminated, spec racing is the truest measure of driver skill! It also produces intense battles for position because all of the cars are equally strong or weak in the same areas of the track. Plus, you'll never spend hours tuning cars or wondering if someone is truly faster than you or if they just have a better tune.

Our league night is Sunday at 9:30pm Eastern / 6:30pm Pacific. If this sounds like something you'd like to be a part of, please check us out to learn more about us and how to join.

www.snailracing.org or www.gtplanet.net/snail

Check out the SNAIL Racing League for some of the cleanest racing on GTPlanet......
Our league night is Sunday at 9:30pm Eastern / 6:30pm Pacific. If this sounds like something you'd like to be a part of, please check us out to learn more about us and how to join.
I'd be up for this but this is ~2am Monday mornings....otherwise would be there! Any other leagues with euro friendly zones anyone can recommend?

Or trying to go three wide into turn 1 a Suzuka. It's almost like their ego will take a hit if they don't pass and slot in behind someone. It makes me laugh.

Indeed, 3 Samba busses in turn 1 daily race A today. Matchmaking seems to be giving up or not enough people on. I got matched with DR A to D as usual yet now also SR.A and one DR.A SR.B in the race. Is the game so starved from players?

Anyway I switched to SR Down Bay and stopped worrying about my SR for the first time since release. 8 races later it's already down to SR.B, 99/99 to 52/99 just from draft bumping to catch up and a bit of trading paint driving in the leader pack. Worst is turn 3, 3 cars wide, inside can't hold on, bumps you in the middle which makes you bump the outside car who touches the wall, 10 sec penalty. It's fun though and even down to SR.B people are still trying to drive clean, no deliberate ramming in turn one or pushing cars into the wall. It's just the game that can't deal with that track. And lag, lag is very bad on that track.

Lag can make some epic crashes. The guy who lagged must have been wondering why the cars in front of him suddenly took off. Of course I got SR Down for that epic air.

Accidents of any seriousness in motor racing are far more rare in real racing vs. any videogame. To compare the two is really simplistic. Many road races are run with 20+ cars over 2 hours or more with little to no signficant contact beyond a fender bender or small shunt. Being shunted off the track and into a barrier or gravel trap by another driver is rarer still. Compared to some of the destruction derbies you see in online racing in just 3 or 4 laps it's night and day. If real life racing was like online racing it would be outlawed.

Accidents of any seriousness in motor racing are far more rare in real racing vs. any videogame. To compare the two is really simplistic. Many road races are run with 20+ cars over 2 hours or more with little to no signficant contact beyond a fender bender or small shunt. Being shunted off the track and into a barrier or gravel trap by another driver is rarer still. Compared to some of the destruction derbies you see in online racing in just 3 or 4 laps it's night and day. If real life racing was like online racing it would be outlawed.

Granted, but we also race with far more frequency. All I am saying is quitting is akin to throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

That said, I am starting to drift over into the damage camp as a means to smarten people up, and by damage, I mean catastrophic race ending damage rather than the minor inconvenience the game has now. Too many people have the "win it or bin it" attitude, so give them the possibility of option 2, which does not currently exist. If there is front end engine damage, limp mode should be the best the car can muster. Force people to quit the race or limp to the pits. It's going to suck for the first few weeks as people take you out, but it will eventually clean up.

In addition, There really needs to be a change to SR and DR. SR rating is currently WAY WAY WAY too lenient. Half, if not more of the people with an SR -S should likely be SR C or D...or E. There has to be some catastrophic change that eliminates bad drivers from participation.

Here's my suggestion, If you get a penalty of any kind, you should lose 2 SR for every second of penalty. A 5 second penalty will drop you to 1 SR tier and a 10 second penalty will drop you 2. Then require a high rating to participate in one of the dailies. Make Race 3 a minimum of B DR and S SR. Same with the FIA races. No one with anything less than SR -S can compete. Harsh? Yes, but BOY will people be more careful if they want to participate.

Keep in mind, you gain SR for every clean sector you do, so you gain back SR and an enormous rate. People are gaining too quickly and losing it too slowly (or just losing it too slowly).

Or, make it so that the cars require ratings. so, GR4 requires at least an A, GR3 and higher requires an S. (or both S, I don't care). It would be EXACTLY what the badges are supposed to achieve, or the old racing licenses.

Because, right now, the SR system is completely and utterly useless. I have played in rooms from S drivers to c drivers and the racing is the same. The only time I have seen actual good clean racing is when I am in rooms with DR-S drivers, and a field of DR-A and high DR-B. Anything below that grouping is a crash fest, and it should not be that way

The most troubling trend I am seeing is the increase in driving people off the track. I had it happen several times over the past few days leaving me with no real choice other than to hold position and turn into the other player (the alternative being a wreck anyway).

But, all that said, I still think quitting altogether is extreme.

The AI needs to be a lot smarter for that. I got punted into a wall at Bathurst. I was running a comfortable 3rd at the time. The impact from the wall lit up the whole car so, as well as losing several positions extracting myself, I think had however many seconds (15 perhaps?) of limited performance on conrod straight. Net result, race effectively over for damage I did nothing to incur myself.

Back