Always use S1/S1 tyres on road cars

• Thread starter scleeve
  • 37 comments
scleeve
I've noticed loads of people are jumping straight to the R3/R3 tyres (in pro physics) then posting their fastest times and mentioning how cars behave on such tyres. Surely these are full race slicks and are certainly not a simulation on the road car behaviour in real life? Shouldn't we try to always use S1/S1 tyres on road cars to get the correct levels of simulated grips and speeds, as far as the little PSP goes anyway? Shouldn't the game default to these levels and not let people use better tyres becuase they are road cars afterall?

Wouldn't this make time trials more interesting? more real?

I only use say R1 tyres on tuned or semi slick cars like the lotus Exige or Mines Skyline, and only R3's on the full race cars (F1, JGTC, LM etc).

In real life road cars would never use (R3) full slicks, dispite being illegal on the road (OK this game is all circuits but you get the idea, most trackdays even ban them on road cars) gearboxes and diffs would brake, and there is a huge loss of feel on the limit so most drivers would find it boring or crash when pushing them hard, they are all grip or nothing.

Like the Nurburgring thread, the GT PSP times are way too quick on R3 tyres, and we certainly shouldn't think the road cars in GT with R3 tyres is simulating anything like the road car in real life is?

I honestly think that more people should try to use S1 tyres instead that are far closer to real times. I just did a 1:35.509 around Laguna Seca in Time Trial using the Corvette ZR1 on just S1/S1 tyres and low TC (far from a perfect lap but not too bad, the Cork Screw is one of the most difficult corners to ever get right), and compare this with the real time set by Motortrend magazine (USA) with the ZR1 which was 1:35.8 and its not far off. Obviously using any better tyre (S2, S3 etc) would just be too fast and too grippy, and the R3 just a million miles away.

S1/S1 races on Ad-hoc party? or time trial events anyone??

What times and thoughts are people getting with S1/S1 tyres?

Last edited:
Ill give you a time trial event, just name a track, car and the tyres to use. I'll post what time i get and you post my time. We could just pm aswell. What do you think?

Yeah!
I'll participate in this time trial event with the real tyres!!!!
Just tell us how (tyres, TCS, etc.) and I'll particpate!!
Maybe one good idea idea will be run with the original car, no settings but with settings it will be OK.
Thanks for telling us this important thing.

honestly there is no difference between R1 and R3 tires, even though all of our members in the TA challenge I host use R3's. I don't see any difference since I can still get the same times as using R3s. Plus there all the settings are open for our ta challenge, there are no rules of people using only R3's.

So I'm down.....
S1 tires

this is just a suggestion:
I vote for Suzuka Cicuit (Foward) we should all know it so there's no excuse.
Car under 300HP
Car Options
Transmission = Manual
Front Tires = S1
Rear Tires = S1
TCS = No restrictions
ASM = No restrictions
Active Steering = Off
Driving physics = Professional

Quick Tune = No restrictions

I leave it up to you scleeve,

I'd like to try this out.
How do I know the difference between Tuned cars & Race cars?
And why S1 and not S3 or N1?

OK, here's a suggestion, lets use some RWD SUPERCARS on S1/S1 tyres, lets see how some people can handle them...it will also show which car is fastest and how difficult each one is to drive when being pushed on proper tyres...

Track: TSUKUBA Circuit (its fairly short and its used for Time Attack in real life in Japan)
Tyres: S1/S1
Physics: Professional
ASM: Off
TC - 'Off' or upto *TC 5. (*edited to say if the real car had it then it makes sense to use it if you want to).
Transmission: Manual
Settings/Tune: Stock

ROAD cars to be used:
Ferrari Enzo '02
Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 '09
Pagani Zonda C12S '00
Saleen S7 '02
Ford GT '05
Dodge Viper SRT10 '03
Honda NSX-R Prototype LM Road Car
Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniv '98
Mercedes Mclaren SLR
TVR Cerbera Speed 12 '00
Spyker C8 Laviolette '01
RUF CTR 'Yellow Bird' '87

Here's a link to real times for Tsukuba http://www.fastestlaps.com/track3.html. The site also lists real times for other circuits, very useful.

For a quick and starting reference, I just did about 5 laps each and got.....
Ferrari Enzo with no TC a 1'01.881
Ferrari Enzo with TC-3 a 1'01.247
Car wheel spins all over the place in 2nd and 3rd with no TC, obviously its easier and more consistant with TC on 3. I'll try a few of my other cars...

Post your Tsukuba Lap times on S1/S1 tyres and comment on what you thought of the different cars.

Last edited:
you do realize that most of those car have TCM and ASM on when you drive them in real life ? If you want to simulate real life you should take that into account at well.

Yeah, I mentioned that in my original post, if you want to use upto TC 5 then please do, especially if its an option on the real car. Cheers, I'll amend the challenge so you can use it if you wish (you'll need it on the TVR!!).

On the other note, ASM just ruins the drive, and stops any throttle inputs, I think we can still keep that off as its awfull to use in the game.

Last edited:
Hey.
I've tried to beat the GT-R time at Tsukuba in the game and I've done it at my first atempt. Maybe because the GT-R '09 real tyres are not the S1.
But I've done it: 1'00.977. The real Tsukuba time for the GT-R '09 V spec is: 1:02.480 Close to the real lap time but I think I can be faster.
What do you think??

I've tried to beat a new time. Now it's the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI lap time and I'm really close to it. In this case I think the connection between Real/Game is really accurate.

-Real time: 1:05.15

-My time (after 2 laps): 1: 06.4

I think I can beat this time but I see it more real.

I just tried the Nissan GTR and got 1'00.749, with 4wd its far easier to be consistant on S1/S1 tyres. Using N3/N3 tyres the time is just too slow with a best of 1'03.916 after loads of laps.

Checking fastestlaps.com site, the normal GTR recorded a real lap time of 1'01.94 around Tsukuba so I'm just over a second quicker on S1 tyres, but 2 seconds slower than the real time when using N3 tyres, so S1 tyres are still the best to use. The real specV time is slower than the normal GTR which is strange, maybe the conditions weren't perfect that day so the normal GTR is a better comparision.

To be honest, the 'Best Motoring' times are known to be somewhat fiddled with Japanese cars always quicker than their European competition.

Last edited:
My Time

Chevy ZR1 09 W/ TC Set To 5. Time:1'02.987

those S1 tires make the car feel like a slug i have driven a vette befor and they arnt that sluggy.

but thats my time for now i will keep triyin.

Lap times in games can't be compared with lap times in real life no matter how realistic the game is, unless you can block out all your fears and disorientation you feel during a real lap.

I feel that it doesn't matter what you say. Different Tires are there so that we may all choose whatever tire we want to use when we race or do time trials or drifting competitions(though the high grip of the racing tires does hamper drifting) but anyways, are you some sort of GT Nazi? I would have expected you to say "You all should use N1 Tires." I use R3 tires because I want to simplify the game for myself. This is the PSP version. It isn't GT5 yet. When the time comes, I will be switching over to tires with worse performance to have a more complex challenge in GT5.

jagenigma, here have a popsicle. Here's a pile of R3's for you.

bfg315s.jpg

Actually they're R1's supposedly, but I couldn't find any pics of a pile of R3s.

I kind of knew this thread was another time bomb.

Well, of course. Why would someone demand others to use S1 tires rather than what ever they want to use? Its asenine. Next we got a list of cars we should race and on what course we should race? What the hell?

Maybe the title of the thread was taken the wrong way and I shouldn't of used the word "always", lol. I am not demanding people to use S1 tyres, I'm just pointing it out for more realistic times and speeds around circuits, and would prefer to see the odd time trial based around them. :)

People will always use what ever they want, and in most cases the fastest possible which are R3's. I find slicks boring.

I've done real trackdays for over 15 years in various cars that i've owned, and I just prefer road legal cars, the way they behave and the times they achieve, thats all, sites like fastestlaps and its comparisions is what interests me, and I am sure a few others using GTP too. :)

Games will never be anywhere near as close as the real thing, the amount of times I've come off, broken the engine or had a serious 'moment' at speed :nervous: I should know that, they are just games with no consequences afterall, but trying to, at least, set similar times feels like they are getting there, hence S1's.

On another note, I will be driving the Nurburgring Nordschleife in my CTR in a few months, I've had much faster cars in the past (400bhp 1100kg 4wd Pulsar Gti-R for example) but nothing thats as reliable to drive for days around such a circuit which is why I'm finally going there, and I fully expect to be the most terrifying circuit I've ever been on. Tip toeing on S1 tyres in a game isn't going to help that much lol. :nervous::)

Last edited:
Dash cam that please, it would make my heart glad.

I took it the way you originally meant it, and I think that's why I am still in my original shape as opposed to having been bent out of it.

I don't remember this board being this high strung, but could just be the mellowing effect of time on my memories.

I think race tires do not have treads, they are slicks. In that picture they look like DOT approved street tires to me.

I think race tires do not have treads, they are slicks. In that picture they look like DOT approved street tires to me.

Rain tires certainly do. The description from where I got the pic specifically said they were R3 racing tires, but what I don't know about racing tires, and even tires in general could fill several books.

Since scleeve actually has a bit more experience than many of us maybe he knows?

Rain tires certainly do. The description from where I got the pic specifically said they were R3 racing tires, but what I don't know about racing tires, and even tires in general could fill several books.

Since scleeve actually has a bit more experience than many of us maybe he knows?

You have to experience the right kind of things to be experienced with said kind of things. In his case, he's experienced with "road" cars, which are rarely fitted with racing tyres.

Latest Posts

Back