Am i gimping myself by sticking with the NSX Gr3?

• Thread starter Bruunz
  • 28 comments
Australia
Australia
As the title suggests am i giving myself a hard time by using the NSX in GR3?

I'm in love the with the GR4 version and love giving the current crop of FWD and M4s a run for their money. They eat me on the straight but i keep up with the corner speed and i like being the odd one out.

The GR3 version is a nightmare. I am really slow in every possible way. It's extremely twitchy in trail braking and even brakes too much for my liking. Changing the brake bias doesn't really help. I have to be cautious on corner exit and lose out on exit speed. Even high speed corners it becomes unstable.

Last night's Manufacturers round at Nurburgring took all the fun out of the game. I can barely do anything quicker than a 2:02. May have gotten a 2:00 for one lap.
I can't do the Michael Schumacher S flat out or even 90% throttle. The ripple strips will cause over steer.

What are your thoughts on the car? Should i give up on the NSX?

Settings are as follows:

G29 Wheel + Pedals with 7/10/3

ABS = Weak
TCS = 0
CSA = None
ASM = None

Are you happy with it? I definitely think it's more of a challenge, but if you're happy, who cares?

I found that I have to run the brake bias at +2 (2 more to the rear) to settle it going into corners, and you have to watch the downshifts because the engine likes to lock the rears.

Here's the thing with any/all the cars. You are racing against a field of people at different skill levels and there's an unpredictability factor. I have had terrible finishes in great cars, and great finishes in terrible cars. It's the luck of the draw.

I have seen players do well with this car. Yes, strictly speaking, you may have an easier time with one of the other cars, but the NSX likes to dive for apexes and you can tighten your line on the throttle better than (some) the others.

I found that with rear bias for brakes, the car would over steer when i let off the brakes. It felt more unstable and required a longer braking distance. When i went to a front bias it was just under steer city which would dupe me into power over steer to try and correct.

Honestly, im not happy with it. But for Gr4 im in love. So when i have make a choice on manufacturers i'm torn.

As the title suggests am i giving myself a hard time by using the NSX in GR3?

I'm in love the with the GR4 version and love giving the current crop of FWD and M4s a run for their money. They eat me on the straight but i keep up with the corner speed and i like being the odd one out.

The GR3 version is a nightmare. I am really slow in every possible way. It's extremely twitchy in trail braking and even brakes too much for my liking. Changing the brake bias doesn't really help. I have to be cautious on corner exit and lose out on exit speed. Even high speed corners it becomes unstable.

Last night's Manufacturers round at Nurburgring took all the fun out of the game. I can barely do anything quicker than a 2:02. May have gotten a 2:00 for one lap.
I can't do the Michael Schumacher S flat out or even 90% throttle. The ripple strips will cause over steer.

What are your thoughts on the car? Should i give up on the NSX?

Settings are as follows:

ABS = Weak
TCS = 0
CSA = None
ASM = None
This is why they should add additional races that allow tuning so we can race with cars we would rather drive. With that said I suck with the GR4 NSX so that's scaring me away from buying the GR3.

In terms of 4WD Gr. 4 cars, the NSX is definitely slower than the Huracan. That's all I can contribute to this thread.

In terms of 4WD Gr. 4 cars, the NSX is definitely slower than the Huracan. That's all I can contribute to this thread.

*The Group 4 NSX has an MR drivetrain

Attachments

• Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180105103418.jpg
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180105103418.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 38
I haven't tried Gr4 or 3 NSX, but the road car is terrible for me in this game. Put in a lot of practice to get used to it but still can't seem to get around the fact that it really is unstable at braking, unpredictable tossup between understeer or oversteer mid corner, and really annoying slide recovery. Shame because I really like the car in PC2 and F7.

The key advantage of MR cars are agility and being able to rotate with the throttle. The increased agility comes at the cost of stability. In previous GT games, the NSX-R and Elise were fast and fun, especially around Suzuka, thanks to the willingness of the chassis to rotate and resist understeer on throttle. They felt fantastic when you're in the zone on the edge of grip, dancing around on the tires. Unfortunately, that means much more driver skill is a prerequisite to enjoy and take advantage of the MR configuration.

I guess it comes down to which is more important: outright winning OR having fun driving what you want.

I always take Honda for the manufacture races. And honestly the gr.3 isn't that bad, you can compete with the other cars. Gr.4 is too slow compared to the other cars, it has good corner speed though. I tend to not do the gr. 4 cause it's no match.

I'm a fan of the NSX, great fun to drive but i would agree that its lacking in speed and breaking is a bit iffy sometimes depending on tracks.
If I could suggest, try the V12 Vantage GT3 2012 (Gr.3) or 650S GT3 2015 (Gr.3).
I rarely see anyone using thoes, definitely uncommon. More people tend to use the lambo's or porsches.

If you want something even more unique and rarely used, you could go for the R8 LMS Audi Team Sport WRT 2015 (Gr.3). I rarely ever see anyone use it at all.

The key advantage of MR cars are agility and being able to rotate with the throttle. The increased agility comes at the cost of stability. In previous GT games, the NSX-R and Elise were fast and fun, especially around Suzuka, thanks to the willingness of the chassis to rotate and resist understeer on throttle. They felt fantastic when you're in the zone on the edge of grip, dancing around on the tires. Unfortunately, that means much more driver skill is a prerequisite to enjoy and take advantage of the MR configuration.

I guess it comes down to which is more important: outright winning OR having fun driving what you want.

This is my experience with the Lambo Gr3. I could tune the setup to make it easier for me, and thus faster (DS4). However in Sport mode it was epicly hard to drive. Having span and running towards the back (from 3rd) I then managed to set the fastest lap at Nurb GP against S DR opponents. Like it had the speed in there somewhere, I just didn't have the fidelity with the DS4 to use it. I'm a million times faster in Sport mode, for more laps, with the GTR.

Going try it tonight i always race what i want and not what is the best......

Often i stand in top 3 with my Lexus ;)
That's how it should be, people should use the cars they love. not be pressured to follow the mainstream. in touring championships people use whatever car they want, if they only took what was best, touring would end up being a one make race..

Yes the NSX isn't always the go to car for all tracks, certain cars perform better on different tracks so give the Corvette C7, Genesis, 458, 911, etc. a go.

With the NSX GR4 and the tyre wear dailies - its really good. When Bathurst was on the other day i could go all the way till empty (laps) and only loose 25~40% of tyres. I was lapping a 1s slower than meganes with fresh tyres from lap 5 to 8. I would stop and only take fuel and i was winning / coming top 3.

i guess i just need more skill for GR3.

Settings are as follows:

ABS = Weak
TCS = 0
CSA = None
ASM = None

You know... Using a little TCS isn't going to kill you, nor will it immediately be the kind of sin where you do not pass go, and do not collect $200. The NSX was designed with TCS in mind and probably doesn't handle too well without it in some situations. Especially if you are complaining about it stepping out in parts of the track. You aren't going any faster without aids if you can't keep the car from stepping out.

This banging of the head against the wall because people think no aids=realism is a bit dumb.

Last edited:
You know... Using a little TCS isn't going to kill you. The NSX was designed with TCS in mind and probably doesn't handle too well without it in some situations.
Fixed your advice. No one in this thread said anything about TCS and their "unrealism".

Yep I agree. I think TCS is a big big factor to getting it right.
Some cars need TCS and especially in low grip conditions (like the daily race I did yesterday). The mustang is prime example. I can run TCS = 0 on clear day and not have a single issue with applying power and nailing constant fast lap times.. Take the same car and run it during a cloudy day and I have problems. This varies from car to car I've found..
And also, there was a thread on here not long ago about the throttle response in this game not being linear, and the last 50% of the throttle being controlled using only 25% of the pedal travel. Add this with no TCS and that's why it's so hard in this game to get power down without spinning on a good day!

Thanks for the above advice and no offence taken. All of it is constructive criticism.

@ZnA1209 I see your point and i the validness of it. I don't take a stance of realism with the absent use of TCS however i see it a skill to learn. Most likely i am overestimating my skill or my ability to learn said skill.

Maybe it is better to use TCS and wind it down after some time. I;m more annoyed that this car is making me do this lol. I guess i just have more of an inferiority complex watching the top 24 stars control their vehicles without TCS.

I'm afraid of the NSX, I own it, but never use it(even though it is one of my real-life favorites). However, I set TCS to at least 1 in all of my Gr.3 cars during a race. I might, turn it off during a qualifying lap, depending on how well I drive the car.

You know... Using a little TCS isn't going to kill you, nor will it immediately be the kind of sin where you do not pass go, and do not collect $200. The NSX was designed with TCS in mind and probably doesn't handle too well without it in some situations. Especially if you are complaining about it stepping out in parts of the track. You aren't going any faster without aids if you can't keep the car from stepping out.

This banging of the head against the wall because people think no aids=realism is a bit dumb.
With TCS even at 1 it slows the car down through certain corners, which isn't what you want if you want to get top 5 especially if you're racing against Meganes and 911s and such. For some Gr3 cars I'll turn on TCS 1 during races but I turn it off during qualifying/time trial to get my best times.

I think i got the same thing with my GT-R's. Race them both group 3 and 4, but i never seem to be as competitivie as with other cars. But the GT-R is just my car, especially with my Mine's livery, so i'll stick with it. :P

I think i got the same thing with my GT-R's. Race them both group 3 and 4, but i never seem to be as competitivie as with other cars. But the GT-R is just my car, especially with my Mine's livery, so i'll stick with it. :P
I made probably my best livery with the McLarens, I want to like the car (love driving it in games like PCARS1/2 and AC) but the car can't keep up with others in races.

Back