AMD Ryzen

• Thread starter Nexus
  • 73 comments
Pretty good processor content-creating-wise, not as good as Intel's in raw gaming. Don't buy if the only purpose is gaming, which isn't the case for me. I would like to have an eight-core (with SMT/Hyperthreading) someday (maybe next year?) as it really helps out with video transcoding (with Handbrake) A LOT, I'm glad AMD is bringing eight-core processing to more people than before. I would like to transcode Blu-rays in the future.

Although I'm tempted for the $500 price tag of the 1800X, I would pick the $400 1700X. Even then it would be a significant improvement over my i7-860!

There's still the R5 and R3 chips, which release sometime in the Summer and Fall respectively. I would imagine those will be the mainstream chips, the chips the average gamer will use.

I would like to have an eight-core (with SMT/Hyperthreading) someday (maybe next year?) as it really helps out with video transcoding (with Handbrake) A LOT, I'm glad AMD is bringing eight-core processing to more people than before. I would like to transcode Blu-rays in the future.
My i5-3570K is about a One:1 ratio of movie length to conversion time. I set it up to convert 4 movies each night, went to bed and when I woke up, they were done. Sure, a 1800X/1700X would be faster, but it worked and I'm cheap. :P

TB
My i5-3570K is about a One:1 ratio of movie length to conversion time. I set it up to convert 4 movies each night, went to bed and when I woke up, they were done. Sure, a 1800X/1700X would be faster, but it worked and I'm cheap. :P

:dopey:

My Core2duo @2.66 used to spend the entire night for one Bluray. Thankfully I'm pretty much done, and I have now several streaming services that have all the movies I want/need.

TB

I loved my 3570K @4.5Ghz.
I could re-encode my blurays quickly, even did HEVC at a decent clip(by decent I mean 12hours)

AMD put out a statement on the 1080p performance tests on the Ryzen. Linus with the analysis:

If the video doesn't work as intended, cue to 19:34.

AMD put out a statement on the 1080p performance tests on the Ryzen. Linus with the analysis:

If the video doesn't work as intended, cue to 19:34.

Also Gamersnexus' take on that statement (it's the entire video, basically, as he also covers the discrepencies among reviews and performance in gaming)

So I have everything and am waiting for a Asus Hero to come back in stock. I want that damn ESS DAC. Whats an extra 80 bucks in the context of ten years?

Tired of waiting though. Hopefully stock arrives soon. Need to test all my **** before cutting out UPCs for rebates

I don't think it's necessarily a game-changer. But it is nice having 8-cores for that price instead of ~$1000 you'd pay for an 8-core Intel i7.

Does AMD still lack an on-board GPU?

Today I checked Newegg while at work. Asus in stock. :eek: I was scrambling to remember what the heck my password was, and the internets at work wouldn't load my shopping cart. I finally got it to work after 5 minutes of frantic franticking. I refresh the page after my order confirmation screen-- BOOM OUT OF STOCK.

I got the last one. Now time to see if this ESS dac is worth a damn. Fingers crossed I don't brick the thing like so many other people!

So I could have built my rig over the weekend, but Newegg decided to send my cpu AIO via the post office. So I'm waiting on that. Planning to install on a 850 EVO ssd that I got 2 black fridays ago and never used. I hope it works because I think the DOA window is closed :lol:

I hope everything else works. That ROG board looks super slick. All of the components are TEENY TINY though, lol. Kinda like looking at bullets online, you don't really realize how small things are if you're just judging by pictures.

AMD is going to make so much freaking money on Ryzen. They're basically just ordering a standard wafer from their manufacturing partners and binning single chips as different processors. They're taking naples chips and 1800x off the wafer as prime silicon, and all the rest of it is leftovers packaged up for sale cheap. If you're going to buy a 4-core chip, you'd better hope you're getting a 4x0 chip rather than a 2x2. If they can avoid deactivating cores across the InfinityFabric, leaving all four cores intact at the same locale, then they'll essentially have a perfect gaming chip for things already optimized for Intel architecture.

Last edited:
So the rig is put together and I couldn't be happier. It's silent-quiet, and the Ryzen just crunches through everything I've thrown at it so far.

Only thing I'm a little annoyed with is the overclocking. I can't get it to boot, and I don't have the patience to sit there and tweak on it forever. Regardless, it's a million times faster than the old i7 930. I'm going to wait on OCing until I actually have a workflow set up that I can help speed along. By then, there will hopefully be much more mature BIOS and people will have figured out how to wrangle this new beast.

I'll let all the nerds do the dirty work. That's what they're there for.

Also forgot to mention that the audio quality is ****ing amazing. I can drive my HD650s straight off the mobo and they sing. The Philips can are also quite good, but they do better with really bass-heavy hiphop and sound a bit more compressed. They don't open up and sing with amplification the way the old Senns do.

Any pics of your build @Omnis ? EDIT- Just found them in the other thread 👍

I'm quite interested in Ryzen for a future build just disappointed at the range of AM4 mobo options at the moment. I was considering Micro ATX and there's like nothing!

I'm quite interested in Ryzen for a future build just disappointed at the range of AM4 mobo options at the moment. I was considering Micro ATX and there's like nothing!
Screen grab from pcpartpicker:

AMD.JPG

Ryzen 5 review NDA ends today. Not gonna compile an aggregate source of all the reviews, so i'll link to one that already did

https://videocardz.com/68282/amd-ryzen-5-review-roundup

A tl;dr / tl;dw thus far... Ryzen 5 performs more-or-less the same in games as the Ryzen 7, maybe a few percent faster in some titles. However, Ryzen's infinity fabric favors faster RAM in many tasks, especially gaming. So investing in +2666mhz RAM is highly recommended. Though it appears that people are having issues getting to at least 3000mhz on 3200mhz+ RAM kits.

It's pretty swell. To be honest, I don't really notice a huge difference in day-to-day use from my old rig. But I can run everything at once without noticing a difference in performance. And I mean literally everything.

I haven't used Resolve on my old computer, but on the new rig it chews through video like nothing.

There's no real point to ultra-high end gear, imo. As long as you can run 1080p video you're good for like 99% of what you'd use a computer for. Anything more hi-end than that would be better served with ASIC gear. That said, I'm glad to have gone with Ryzen considering its price compared to the competition.

How does AMD core-for-core stack up against Intel? How would the performance of a (possibly hypothetical) 4-core non-hyperthreaded AMD compare with a 4-core non-hyperthreaded Intel, both running at the same clock speed?

Where I'm coming from with this is I'm considering building a machine around a Ryzen which will be used as a virtual host for a number of VMs under VirtualBox. If I allocate one core to a VM, will its performance on an AMD core be as good as its performance on an Intel core?

How does AMD core-for-core stack up against Intel? How would the performance of a (possibly hypothetical) 4-core non-hyperthreaded AMD compare with a 4-core non-hyperthreaded Intel, both running at the same clock speed?

Where I'm coming from with this is I'm considering building a machine around a Ryzen which will be used as a virtual host for a number of VMs under VirtualBox. If I allocate one core to a VM, will its performance on an AMD core be as good as its performance on an Intel core?
Ryzen's IPC is a bit lower than Kaby Lake, up to 10% slower in worst case scenarios iirc.

Of course, you do also get more cores and threads.

I cant even find any pictures of the SP3r2 socket for the upcoming ryzen 9 CPUs.
It will have 4,096 pins

Back