America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,021 comments
I can't speak for TX, but in GA from the recent census, GA is still barely Red, purple IMO. Give the mass exodus in CA(approx 3million so far)I couldn't find anything about NY numbers)it'll sadly change and they'll bring their stupid ways and leave in 15 years to go screw up other states.
Eh, conservatives in Texans spout this all the time about how Californians come here and bring their failed ways with them. But, the thing is, the Californians moving here are mostly Republican. I believe 1 of the statistics showed that native Texans voted more for Beto than the non-native Texans to amplify that point.

Makes it really weird and ironic to see Texas conservatives complain about the Californians when they end up being their fellow political base.

Edit*
It has long been a fear of conservative-minded Texans — and a hope of left-wing urban Texans — that new arrivals would tip the Lone Star State’s political balance. This has fueled polling on the question.

In 2013, the Texas Tribune and UT Austin conducted a poll surveying the political orientation of California expats. The California arrivals were 57 percent conservative compared to 27 percent liberal. “OK,” one might expect Texans to respond skeptically, “But what about the others?”

In a 2018 exit poll in the hard-fought U.S. Senate race between Sen. Ted Cruz (who had moved to Texas) and then-Rep. Beto O’Rourke (a Texas native), natives preferred O’Rourke by plus-3 points whereas movers favored Cruz by plus 15. Cruz won the race by 2.6 percent, meaning that if it were up to people who were Texans by birth, Cruz would have lost reelection.
The Texas Public Policy Foundation has conducted two polls of registered voters to test attitudes between natives and non-natives. Its January 2020 poll of 800 registered voters found native Texans supported President Trump over Hillary Clinton by a 7-point margin compared to transplants, who supported Trump by a 12-point margin.

Last edited:
American men did the same in basketball and being woke doesn't stop Allyson Felix from being an absolute ****ing badass. That woman is impressive beyond words--she's participated in every games since Athens in 2004. I wish I hadn't only seen her cross the line for gold in highlights, but the only event I watched live was women's beach volleyball.

I mean...it's as if the two qualities aren't actually related, but these Trumpkins are just so broken they'd never accept such a notion. I wish it was a new low that they were actively rooting against their own olympic delegates in Tokyo, but it was only a new middle. Jesus ****ing Christ...that whole Simone Biles thing. Right trash.

Modern American conservatism is insane.

[Edit: I had the relay positions mixed up in my head. Athing Mu was anchor and sealed the win while Felix ran the second leg. Felix still contributed to the win, of course, and she's still got the most olympic medals in women's track and field.]
How about the American women's basketball team? Won their 7th gold medal in a row. They were probably the most politically active group of players out there. I guess "shut up and dribble" didn't work for FORMER Sen. Kelly Loeffler. Hard to criticize them but I'm sure Trumpkins thought they could after an exhibition loss to Australia but nobody could touch them in the Olympics. Amazing group of women.

After the women's soccer team lost to Canada to be eliminated from gold medal contention I went to Youtube to look at highlights and I wasn't going to look at the comments, but curiosity got the best of me so I scrolled down. It was shocking what I saw. You're right about Trumpkins rooting against their own olympic teams. Lots of comments like, "I'm glad they lost, I hate this team and everything they stand for". But they hate the message the players bring probably more than the players themselves. Lots of hatred towards Megan Rapinoe especially because she wouldn't keep her mouth shut like a good little girl and speak only when spoken to. Also she refused to bow down to their bronzer daddy which Trumpkins can't stand.

How about the American women's basketball team? Won their 7th gold medal in a row. They were probably the most politically active group of players out there. I guess "shut up and dribble" didn't work for FORMER Sen. Kelly Loeffler. Hard to criticize them but I'm sure Trumpkins thought they could after an exhibition loss to Australia but nobody could touch them in the Olympics. Amazing group of women.

After the women's soccer team lost to Canada to be eliminated from gold medal contention I went to Youtube to look at highlights and I wasn't going to look at the comments, but curiosity got the best of me so I scrolled down. It was shocking what I saw. You're right about Trumpkins rooting against their own olympic teams. Lots of comments like, "I'm glad they lost, I hate this team and everything they stand for". But they hate the message the players bring probably more than the players themselves. Lots of hatred towards Megan Rapinoe especially because she wouldn't keep her mouth shut like a good little girl and speak only when spoken to. Also she refused to bow down to their bronzer daddy which Trumpkins can't stand.
Well...I'm not up on the targets of the right's idiotic ire, it seems. That's probably for the best, though, because this culture war of theirs is aggressively stupid.

Being woke has **** all to do with creeping urbanisation and this whole conversation has always been a waste of time.
Then why bother quoting me? Forgot the PM already?
Eh, conservatives in Texans spout this all the time about how Californians come here and bring their failed ways with them. But, the thing is, the Californians moving here are mostly Republican. I believe 1 of the statistics showed that native Texans voted more for Beto than the non-native Texans to amplify that point.

Makes it really weird and ironic to see Texas conservatives complain about the Californians when they end up being their fellow political base.

Edit*

Thanks for an educational response.

Edit: I'm still waiting for a reason of why we had a huge shift of blue voters from NO after Katrina Mikey. Come to think of it the 96 Olympics too. I've been here my whole life. I watched my old neighborhood get destroyed then then using it as an excuse for gentrification, only to create more crime.
Woke=****

Edit edit: I've given y'all the example of my friend from NY. Stats shamts. He still votes Dem.

I'm done, I'm not getting banned from my own countries thread arguing with someone who isn't even from here.

Last edited:
Forgot the PM already?
This isn't a threat and you'd do well to note that I haven't said anything like this in response to any of your posts...but it's in your best interest to not bring up the PM. Ever. Do with this what you will. No response warranted.

Last edited:
This isn't a threat and you'd do well to note that I haven't said anything like this in response to any of your posts...but it's in your best interest to not bring up the PM. Ever. Do with this what you will. No response warranted.
Ok, y'all actually tackle my posts points then.
GA has changed and I can tell you it ain't the native Georgians.

Then why bother quoting me? Forgot the PM already?
I quoted you with stats that disproved what you're saying about Californians, for the benefit of anyone else reading these posts.

Edit: I'm still waiting for a reason of why we had a huge shift of blue voters from NO after Katrina Mikey. Come to think of it the 96 Olympics too. I've been here my whole life. I watched my old neighborhood get destroyed then then using it as an excuse for gentrification, only to create more crime.
Woke=****
How huge in comparison with the rest of the state? What's woke about gentrification and crime?

I'm done, I'm not getting banned from my own countries thread arguing with someone who isn't even from here.
In that case, I also would very strongly suggest not mentioning your PM again or ever sending me another one like it.

Last edited:
I didn't think so. What's out of sequence about the words I added?
You tell me. People moving here and changing the voting outcomes. You dodged over examples to bring something up about soccer just cause I quoted Trump.
Play the ball.

You tell me. People moving here and changing the voting outcomes. You dodged over examples to bring something up about soccer just cause I quoted Trump.
Play the ball.
Why should I provide figures to prove your point? I already provided them to support my own.

I don't know. Did you miss where it's changed over time and I've been here my whole life?
GA is changing, I can't speak for the indigenous but I can speak for the more recent natives.

Cracked screen won't let me quote what I wanted or you...

I don't know. Did you miss where it's changed over time and I've been here my whole life?
GA is changing, I can't speak for the indigenous but I can speak for the more recent natives.

Cracked screen won't let me quote what I wanted or you...
Well, in the absence of hard numbers I'll continue to go with the census data I quoted earlier.

According to this map from the NYT around 30,000 people filed applications for FEMA aid from Atlanta following Katrina. (source: Bloomberg)

-1x-1.png

I don't know whether they all stayed or whether some returned to Louisiana. Even if they all stayed, is 30k people enough to flip a majority red state with a population of over 10m people by themselves? If so, why did it take them so long since 2005 to do so? Something doesn't add up for me.

Last edited:
Well, in the absence of hard numbers I'll continue to go with the census data I quoted earlier.
Well I guess I need to learn how to search better...
Screenshot_20210830-004550.png
Screenshot_20210830-004653.png

We didn't have 10 million then. Also they all were at Atlanta Airport or the Atlanta Greyhound. Also Atlanta has more districts than any other city. A little thing called population.

Actually an article in my screen shot says 100K. Remember me saying we didn't receive a census?

Last edited:
Well I guess I need to learn how to search better...
View attachment 1077311View attachment 1077312

We didn't have 10 million then. Also they all were at Atlanta Airport or the Atlanta Greyhound. Also Atlanta has more districts than any other city. A little thing called population.

Actually an article in my screen shot says 100K. Remember me saying we didn't receive a census?
Your first article is the same one I quoted which says that most of those people moved from red states. How many of them voted blue, and why did they wait until 2020 to do it?

How many of those 100k evacuees became permanent Georgia residents and did they all vote Democrat too? The state didn't flip blue until last year.

Last edited:
Your first article is the same one I quoted which says that most of those people moved from red states. How many of them voted blue, and why did they wait until 2020 to do it?
Where did I say 2020? I said the state has changed, and read my edit, an article says 100k in my screen shot. Bout 3x as many. It's from the AJC, the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

Last edited:
Where did I say 2020? I said the state has changed, and read my edit, an article says 100k in my screen shot. Bout 3x as many. It's from the AJC, the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
You didn't, I did because the state didn't flip until last year, and read my edit about the evacuees.

You didn't, I did because the state didn't flip until last year, and read my edit about the evacuees.
So you agree the state has changed? Changing a Red state blue doesn't happen over night, also doesn't help being called the Capitol of the South. We have a saying, stop moving here we're full. You should Google it, you'd see some funny memes.

A few people here and there aren't going to affect it overall.
I love how y'all always say that but live by numbers.

Last edited:
So you agree the state has changed? Changing a Red state blue doesn't happen over night, also doesn't help being called the Capitol of the South. We have a saying, stop moving here we're full. You should Google it, you'd see some funny memes.
No, thanks. Anti immigration memes don't sound like the best source of population data.

Obviously the state changed affiliation in 2020 and 2022. But being able to prove that the main cause is because a bunch of out of towners moved in and not other factors, such as swing voters who already live there changing their party because they didn't like the guy in charge at the time, is something else again.
This article mentions transplants from other states, but also talks about younger voters being more progressive. It also mentions people who didn't vote before being persuaded to take part in the election.

The number of people struck from the voting lists is roughly equal to the number of New Orleans evacuees entering the state sixteen years ago.
If Georgia turns red again now that Trump is gone, would that mean that a bunch of blue voters moved out again? It sounds like population shift doesn't tell the whole story and that the state went Democrat for a bunch of reasons besides those pesky Californians "screwing things up".
I love how y'all always say that but live by numbers.
I don't know how many people didn't take part in the census but they got enough replies to register over 10.6 million people. Those are the kind of numbers I'm more interested in. Are you saying that a whole bunch of them got missed out based on the fact you didn't receive your form? Enough to make the results statistically worthless?

Last edited:
No, thanks. Anti immigration memes don't sound like the best source of population data.
1EQ4Hi2BHTN7vbpJO4DUY9g-768x768.jpeg

I thought it was funny and true. That's what we call the downtown connector, 8 lanes of hell. It was a joke, I wouldn't expect anyone to take it as data.
Those articles were a good read though.

Ryzno: I've been coming to Atlanta since around the time you entered Grade 1. Yes, it's changed a lot in the last 30 years. In the late 80's it was a provincial backwater, now it's a thriving, growing city with an increasingly affluent, educated population. That's true of a lot of cities in the South that I know: Raleigh, Charlotte, Nashville ... hell ... even Birmingham.

In general, the late '70's/early '80's were a low point for American cities following a flight to the suburbs & a hollowing out of the downtown cores. if I were you, I would be glad that this trend reversed itself. Yes, it means that real estate prices have climbed a lot, putting pressure on some neighbourhoods. But in-migration & immigration have been key to revitalizing cities in the US & elsewhere.

I'm not sure Georgia turned blue because of people moving there, I think it turned blue this time because Trump was so awful. I'm guessing more people voted against Trump than for Biden.

Here in Utah, we have had a huge influx of people moving here, especially from California and Midwesterners who found out Denver was full (raises hand sheepishly). But in 2020, the state went redder despite the influx of Californians. We even managed to elect a Qcumber with CTE into Congress over probably one of the most conservative Democrats too.

Populations shift and states that were traditionally one way, will eventually go a different way. Ideally, every state should be purple, or more ideally brown with a mix of all different parties representing the population of a state. That would probably be a better representation of America too since political beliefs are all over the place.

View attachment 1077352
I thought it was funny and true. That's what we call the downtown connector, 8 lanes of hell. It was a joke, I wouldn't expect anyone to take it as data.
Those articles were a good read though.
To further illustrate: I live close to Buffalo. Other than in the middle of a Buffalo snow storm, I have never really experienced a traffic jam in Buffalo. That's because the population of Buffalo has been declining since the 1950's when the thruways were built. In fact, incredibly, the population in 2006 was the same as it was in the 1890's, when Buffalo was the 8th largest city in the US. By 2006 the downtown core of Buffalo was full of empty storefronts & derelict buildings.

In contrast, the Greater Toronto Area, 60 miles across Lake Ontario from Buffalo has grown from less than 1 million in 1950 to more than 6 million. Growth in Toronto has been largely fuelled by immigration - currently more than 50% of the residents of the GTA are foreign born. I can tell you that Toronto is a lot more vibrant & interesting city than it was in the 1950's when my mother arrived as a refugee from post war Europe. On the other hand, traffic gridlock in Toronto is at least as bad as in Atlanta & real estate prices are around 4 times as high as in Atlanta.

Incidentally, Buffalo has started to see some significant urban renewal in the last decade. The number of Millennials has grown by 10%, while the region's total population has declined by 1%. Inexpensive real estate & legacy infrastructure from Buffalo's glory days combine to make it an attractive place for Millennials trying to make a home. Capitalism - supply & demand - at work.

To further illustrate: I live close to Buffalo. Other than in the middle of a Buffalo snow storm, I have never really experienced a traffic jam in Buffalo. That's because the population of Buffalo has been declining since the 1950's when the thruways were built. In fact, incredibly, the population in 2006 was the same as it was in the 1890's, when Buffalo was the 8th largest city in the US. By 2006 the downtown core of Buffalo was full of empty storefronts & derelict buildings.

In contrast, the Greater Toronto Area, 60 miles across Lake Ontario from Buffalo has grown from less than 1 million in 1950 to more than 6 million. Growth in Toronto has been largely fuelled by immigration - currently more than 50% of the residents of the GTA are foreign born. I can tell you that Toronto is a lot more vibrant & interesting city than it was in the 1950's when my mother arrived as a refugee from post war Europe. On the other hand, traffic gridlock in Toronto is at least as bad as in Atlanta & real estate prices are around 4 times as high as in Atlanta.

Incidentally, Buffalo has started to see some significant urban renewal in the last decade. The number of Millennials has grown by 10%, while the region's total population has declined by 1%. Inexpensive real estate & legacy infrastructure from Buffalo's glory days combine to make it an attractive place for Millennials trying to make a home. Capitalism - supply & demand - at work.
It doesn't shock me at all. Almost all cities that are part of the Rust Belt Region (pretty much from upstate NY through the Midwest to the Mississippi River) have seen significant population drops over the past few decades due to the departure of manufacturing from the area. This includes not only Buffalo, but Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Chicago.

Back