American or Japanese?

• Thread starter dcooblal
  • 73 comments
listen AE86Driver, i didnt mean to get on your case, althoughI dont know how I did. All I said was that I liked Corvettes over a Skyline, thats my own opinion and I stand by it. Now, NEVER, did I say that the Skyline was a horrible car, I said that nowhere in my posts. I never said Japanese cars are horrid and have bad styling, never did I say that. Every car, Japan/American/Europe has some badly designed cars and so who cares? Some cars flop and some cars succeed. I dont know why you had to say "i have to know my place?" Who are you to tell me where i am supposed to go? And whats this about me not knowing the complexity of Japanese cars or any car for that matter? Like I said before all cars have their qualities and disadvantages, some Japanese cars are better than American cars and some American better than Japanese, the same goes for European. I dont know the reason why you had to post that post but you should know your own place and think before you write.

hey, its just a difference in opinion
you can't really go like...... Japanese cars suck cuz american cars rule...... they have different *goodness* in different aspects of the car... eg: American Cars are HEAVY, while Japanese cars are lighter
but @ the same time
American cars have alot more HP than Japanese cars*most of em ne way*

You know whats a good car? Peugeot 206... the rally one looks nice, stock looks okay. And yeah one of my favs... M5. Theres a car i would like to own :)

Originally posted by AE86Driver
look Neon_Duke,first off...

People who get personally offended at other people's opinions are very entertaining. :lol: Also, I think Initial D is hugely overrated.

PS - Punctuation and structure can make your posts much easier to read and understand. Thank you.

yes they can....

I have not seen initial D and can therefore only go on the cars in gt3....

the ae86 (or whatever it is) is IN MY OPINION fugly!! :)
and old....

but thats just my opinion :D

Forget about drifting.

The AE86 is not a very good car when looked at alone. But compare it to cars of the same era and price range. Also, look at its weight. 2100lbs for a RWD car when any other RWD car of the era was atleast 2900lbs+. Its 1.6L 4 cyl DOHC 16 Valve engine is very complex and advanced for its age also. It might be ugly but I think it is very unique. Toyota would have had to put in an extra effort to keep its weight so low, and it would also be quite costly to put such a complex engine in such a cheap car in 1986. Toyota could have just as easily put some larger, less efficient OHV 8 Valve 4 cyl engine in the AE86 to give it its 128hp, but they chose the DOHC 16 valve engine based on it's breathing which, I believe, was purely for after market moddability.

Thats a reason the early 90's Honda Civics were so popular. Never before had such a complex engine been available to the economic car market. The Civic engine is a very strong platform to be modified and I recognize that the japanese car makers were the first to offer such exotic technology to the average Joe. Nowadays, just about every car has DOHC 4 valve/cyl technology so it doesn't seem so special anymore.

yo personally Japanese carz woop american cars anyday..but there are differences ...american carz have advantages and same wit Japanese...but some of u ppl obviously dont know stuff...for example duke u obviously dontk now wat utalkin bout...the skyline was no rip off..u jus jealous cuz u know that cameros and mustangs dont look anywhere close to wat thes skyline looks ....and u talkin bout looks...y dont u talk performance...u know the skyline will dust any of the american cars u jus said...and no japanese domesitc industry isnt complex its jus that american cars are too basic and u guys r too use to that and AE86 ( which is not a bad car eventhough i prefer the RX-7 in intial D) u cant go sayin that that someone doesnt understand wat looks good or not cuz they differenet opinions...i personally like the RX-7 but i dotn hold it against ppl who dont cuz wat makes u think your taste of cars is better than anyone elses?

and one more thing ae86 y u tellin ppl to stay in their own league cuz they sayin that they like american cars over Japanese wen u doin the same thing but u sayin u like Japanese over americans..u gotta learn to know waht your place is cuz obviously it aint here cuz u aint thinkin straight

2003 BMW M5... 4024 lbs., 394 hp, 368 ft-lb torque, 4941 cc engine, 13/21 mileage, $70,400 retail.

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06... 3118 lbs., 405 hp, 400 ft-lb torque, 5665 cc engine, 19/28 mileage, $51,000 retail.

Umm. Hmm. How is the BMW M5 better, again? Pretensiousness Quotient? Overpricing Index? Gas-Guzzling Road-Pig Rating? Let's compare it to an *expensive* American sports car...

2003 Dodge Viper... 3357 lbs., 500 hp, 525 ft-lb torque, 8277 cc engine, 11/21 mileage, $80,000 retail.

The BMW is heavier, less-powerful in all ways, has a *slight* mileage edge, and costs less. If you want a sports car, the Viper is still a clear winner. If you want a heavier, slightly cheaper, slightly less-guzzling car with a LOT less power; then the BMW would be a good choice. Still, the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 is a better sports car in every way than the BMW M5, so you should go with it if you can't muster up the cash for a Viper.

For a mere $80,000 more than the Z06, you could buy a BMW Z8 roadster... 3495 lbs, 394 hp, 368 ft-lb torque, 4941 cc engine, 13/21 mileage, $131,000... but you'd still have a slower car. It's a nice car, looks beautiful, so if you can come up with the cash, you shouldn't feel bad about having it. But don't expect it to be blowing the doors off of Vipers or Z06's.

Now, because BMW obviously can't meet the specs of those two, let's look at some real European performance...

2003 Porsche 911 GT2... 3168lbs, 456 hp, 457 ft-lb torque, 3600 cc engine, 15/22 mileage, $181, 700

Now, that's one amazing sports car! Granted, you could have 3.56 Z06's for that much cash, but in the world of sports cars, that is one of the best out there and I'll admit it happily.

I just wanted to throw some numbers out there so people actually would know what the stats on these cars were in the US. Use them as you will.

I have had a lot of fun reading this thread.
However, if we are talking about the game....
Japanese cars win.
IRL. I prefer my oversized, inefficient, roadhog, zillion people in one vehicle, American cars.
I've said it before and I will continue to say it. IN GT3, The JAPANESE invented game gives a slight advantage to the Japanese cars. Especially, if you go CR. to performance.
If you want to build a hot 50,000 cr. car, do you go for the 40,000 cr Corvette Grand Sport, or the 25,180 Cr. Lancer EVO 7.

For kicks and giggles go to the Challanges and race forum, Single lap/ Spot races and Try the "Axis VS Allies" Challenge.:D

I believe that every car serves a purpose, because we can't forget that the Car makers are out there to make money. Although comparing cars is a very fun thing to do. I don't think hardly any 2 cars can be really compared head to head. It is very obvious what niche every car fits into (i.e. Power Coupe, Muscle Sedan, Pocket Rocket) but I think that each car makes up its own niche, and the only true comparisons we can make are between different generations of the same car. There are so many variables that determine a cars value, worth, whatever, that it is impossible to factor them all in. So, lets really try and understand that an M5 to a 20 something car enthusiast looks like a rip-off compared to a Corvette, whereas a 40 something businessman wouldnt be caught dead in some snarling Viper or Z06, regardless of its performance edge. Now if someone tried to argue that they think an M5 is a better car to buy, as a car to be race prepped and used in autocrossing, than a Z06 they are obviously really obnoxious.

Factors that determine whether one car is better than the other vary from national pride to resale value, from exhaust note to cargo volume, crash test rating to gear box slickness etc etc.

In conclusion; although very entertaining, comparing cars is a waste of time and should never be taken serious enough to start any real fighting.

Like people here have said....the yanks have the muscle, but for me they're not so easy to handle, perhaps I'm simply not good enough at driving them.

As a BMW owner, I'd prefer an M3 anyway in real life. Power, technology and a brilliant drive, and is among the best looking cars ever made. But then I'm biased. :D

Originally posted by bwdemon
2003 BMW M5... 4024 lbs., 394 hp, 368 ft-lb torque, 4941 cc engine, 13/21 mileage, $70,400 retail.

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06... 3118 lbs., 405 hp, 400 ft-lb torque, 5665 cc engine, 19/28 mileage, $51,000 retail.

Umm. Hmm. How is the BMW M5 better, again? Pretensiousness Quotient? Overpricing Index? Gas-Guzzling Road-Pig Rating? Let's compare it to an *expensive* American sports car...

2003 Dodge Viper... 3357 lbs., 500 hp, 525 ft-lb torque, 8277 cc engine, 11/21 mileage, $80,000 retail.

The BMW is heavier, less-powerful in all ways, has a *slight* mileage edge, and costs less. If you want a sports car, the Viper is still a clear winner. If you want a heavier, slightly cheaper, slightly less-guzzling car with a LOT less power; then the BMW would be a good choice. Still, the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 is a better sports car in every way than the BMW M5, so you should go with it if you can't muster up the cash for a Viper.

Perhaps in that case you would prefer comparing an Audi RS6 or a Brabus tuned Mercedes E55 AMG(yes you read it right, first tuned by AMG then by Brabus), these all are luxury cars, 5 to 4 doors, compare these with a sports car, indeed with the Porsche for example... not with the saloon car...

greetze, Zembla

Originally posted by AE86Driver
look Neon_Duke,first off...I don't know who you think you're talkin' to,thinkin' you know OH SO MUCH about Japanese cars...let me tell you a lil somethin' you should be greatful of,now listen good,cause it's the word from one that's wiser than yourself young lad
OK - I know exactly who I'm talking to - an ignorant prepubescent assclown who thinks he's the t!ts of the world. Listen here, pup - I had my license for 5 years already when your lovely Trueno went on sale in 1986. You, on the other hand, were still three years away from being born. The 4AGE is a great engine, and the AE86 chassis is decent if not spectacular (actually the Corolla FX-16 is faster, possibly lighter, and handles better, even being FWD). But the 'Trueno' is NOT Bhudda's gift to the automotive world, and the Japanese do NOT get divine inspiration in everything they touch. I had a Toyota Supra of about 1986 vintage and let me tell you, while it had reasonable torque from the big Cressida 6ME engine, the handling sucked out loud and the engineering was for absolute crap. That car broke more times than I care to recall, and as the person who swung most of the wrenches on it (including an engine replacement) I can say with authority that it was a b!tch's sister to work on.

So you better think twice before saying you're so much wiser than someone. Somebody else like me will come along and pee all over your rice cakes next time too. What knowledge and experience do you have besides the Super Street magazines you hide under your mattress?
..you see..those "muscle" cars that you love so much,or those american cars that you simply INSIST are soooo good,must I let you know that the Nova (which I think is a "muscle" car,but not too sure,but I do know that it is american) has parts that's sent from Japan you know,along with some of your other so called "muscle" cars!heh,and here you thought you knew what you were talkin' about..
I know my Japanese cars a hell of a lot better than you know your American ones, if you're going to call a Nova out as your example of a muscle car. You might want to look back and point out where I "insisted" that American cars were "soooo good". Besides, who gives a crap if the lousy voltage regulator and headlight lamps are made in Japan? We're discussing engineering, design, and performance here, not trivialities.
I believe YOU are the fanboy,tch.someone who is blocking the own knowledge of someone much wiser than themself only protect themself with what they believe is correct...but once they get told on what the truth REALLY is,their wall begins to break..and they still continue to whine and hide under someone's wing of shelter to protect them so they won't hear that they are incorrect...but I assume you wouldn't understand that,now would you?heh,obviosuly not..so why not behave yourself and just keep your useless comments to yourself..fanboy[/B]
You're a joke, and you're making an ass of yourself for my amusement. By all means, please keep it up. I haven't enjoyed something this much since SKILLZ left town under similar circumstances. If you expect to be anything but an obnoxious internet pissant for the rest of your life, you should at least try to do the following:

1) Know what you're talking about before you strut around with your bollocks in a wheelbarrow.

2) Don't accuse someone of what you are guilty of yourself. You are a far worse fanboy than ever I was even at your age. Get over it, open your tiny mind, and experience a little bit of the world before you decide which part of it is the absolute best. I refer you to all of your own words above, fanboy. I also refer you to my words, posted in the other useless "Japanese vs. American" thread:
Some Japanese cars will kick some American cars' butts. Some American cars will kick other Japanese cars' butts. Why worry about which country is better? Why not just judge each car on its merits, instead of the national origin of the car company?

3) Learn some basic rules of composition, spelling, and grammar. Even if you don't know what the hell you're talking about, you can at least sound like you know how to talk.

Have you learned a little lesson here? Don't pull the pin out of a grenade unless you're sure you can throw it, kiddo. It tends to get messy for you.

PS to the moderator staff: I apologize for doing this, but sometimes you just have to.

PS to Jordan: Thanks for having such an efficent and easy-to-use Ignore function! It works great, and is about to be put into use again.

: Duke

Okay, Duke said what was needed to be said.

I'd love another poorly-worded reply from our favourite Trueno fan, though.

AE86 picked a fight with the wrong person...

All I can say is "Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh! He told you!"
Sorry about that.

OA

m5 = luxury sports..... thats all i have to say...

euro sprots = lambos, ferraris, porsche, etc.....

comparing the m5 to the vete, ya might as well compare my astra to the vete too :P

Alright...

One thing first, GT3 puts much more emphasize on japanese cars than american cars. That's a fact.

if you want to argue about sports cars go to: www.supercars.net they have all kinds of cars and all kinds of people to argue about "real life sports cars".

final word : there is no better car, it's just how good can you race that car! That's also a fact!

my opinion

Wow! A new member who thought about what they said and they weren't offensive about it. There was no slang and shortened words!

I must be dreaming :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: Nicely put!

OA

Back