Votes: 53 16.1%
  • No, proper English should be used

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I don't care at all

Votes: 95 28.8%
  • I prefer a mixture

Votes: 65 19.7%

• Total voters
The word 'route' is an odd one. In general, it's pronounced 'root' in the UK and 'rowt' in the US, same applies for 'router'.

However, I'm British and pronounce this particular woodworking tool the same as the US 'rowter' even though it's spelt 'router':

images.jpeg

Yet this item of networking hardware, I pronounce wifi 'rooter' even thought it's spelt the same:
GUEST_eb189057-a39a-4a61-8140-5c65a96487ae.jpeg

:odd:

Last edited:
The word 'route' is an odd one. In general, it's pronounces 'root' in the UK and 'rowt' in the US, same applies for 'router'.

However, I'm British and pronounce this particular woodworking tool the same as the US 'rowter' even though it's spelt 'router':

View attachment 799104
Yet this item of networking hardware, I pronounce wifi 'rooter' even thought it's spelt the same:
View attachment 799112

Yeah its a funny one, router and router are spelt the same yet for some reason one is pronounced 'root' like route. Maybe we should be saying all these things as 'rowt' and leave root to...

upload_2019-2-12_16-7-56.jpeg

Whether it's "raowt" or "root" is, I suspect,a regional thing in the US. I grew up calling highways "root" 66 or whatever, but the tool and networking device always "raowter".

For me, and people around me, the pronunciations for route are interchangeable, without any logic I can think of. Though a router is always a "rowter".

It's not so different from how you islanders got me calling a garage a "GEHR-ijj" instead of "ga-RAHJ" sometimes, just for fun, when I'm verbally counting buildings for property assessment work.

The whole 'garridge' / 'gah rahj' thing is actually considered more of a British class thing than a British thing. Like Grass and 'Graaahassssss' :lol: People actually use either.

The whole 'garridge' / 'gah rahj' thing is actually considered more of a British class thing than a British thing.
I pronounce it 'garridge' even though I'm originally from rural Kent and my mum definitely says it the posh way. It's all down to my dad being from East Lah-dun and my mum marrying beneath her. Innit.

I pronounce it 'garridge' even though I'm originally from rural Kent and my mum definitely says it the posh way. It's all down to my dad being from East Lah-dun and my mum marrying beneath her. Innit.

I’ve gone about avoiding that word for a long time in favour of alternatives like “mechanics shop” and “fuel station” but I do find that when I use it now I go down the posh route.

The whole 'garridge' / 'gah rahj' thing is actually considered more of a British class thing than a British thing. Like Grass and 'Graaahassssss' :lol: People actually use either.

Regional too - my maternal grandparents were working-class mid-Lancashire and would swallow the first syllable and stretch the second (g'raaaarj). They'd also looook in boooooks (long emphasis on ooh).

What is more difficult:

• American mastering English, Irish, Scottish, South-African or Australian accent
  • English, Scot, Irish, South-African or Australian mastering an American accent

What is more difficult:

• American mastering English, Irish, Scottish, South-African or Australian accent
  • English, Scot, Irish, South-African or Australian mastering an American accent

From my observation I’d say Hollywood has proved the former to be true.

And because the American accent is so widely heard it’s probably easier to imitate than the others. Plus it’s a bit lazier in general than, say, English or SA accents (when spoken formally) making it a bit easier.

Of all my many American friends over the years only 2 can do a British accent properly; 1 had a Welsh mother and had lived in London, the other was a trained thespian.

The word 'route' is an odd one. In general, it's pronounced 'root' in the UK and 'rowt' in the US, same applies for 'router'.

View attachment 799104
View attachment 799112
I hope you asked for consent before doing that to the WiFi.

As an Australian it's definitely Raow-ter here, all though we flip it for Route and call it Root.

Garage is ga-rahj.

WiFi rooter though, it has to be the accent it wouldn't work with my accent it would sound exactly as it looks in words.

Last edited:
I've played too much Fortnite over the last year, and it's annoying me because I now pronounce the words "Default" and "Depot" wrong because of how the community does.

Deh-FOLLT and Deh-POW is what I'd usually say, but now I find myself saying DEE-follt and DEE-poh.

Just another thing to add to the list of "why Fortnite is hated".

Whether it's "raowt" or "root" is, I suspect,a regional thing in the US.

I hear both interchangeably, especially in the northeastern US, "Route" is used for all types of roads.

The use of Route formally denotes all of the United States Numbered Route system, though each state may call their state-level designations something slightly different, probably due to they way each state/commonwealth has it written in their Constitutions, codes, and laws.

So while many states call it "State Route", others may call it "State Highway", "State Trunk Highway", "State Legislative Route", and others still "State Road". Apparently, Indiana goes a step further and has both County Roads and County Routes, because of the way legislation is written.

Most people will know what you're talking about one way or another, but just use your GPS if someone looks at you weird for calling a "rotary" a "roundabout" (you can usually carry more speed through a rotary).

I grew up calling highways "root" 66 or whatever, but the tool and networking device always "raowter".

I've never heard anyone call the networking device a "ROOTer" anywhere in the US, so it's only the road-type that gets two pronunciations.

"roundabout"

0ydgwewzstg01.gif

Ok route 66 vs. route 66. Which route are you going to take? I have to admit I use both pronunciations. And I also make fun of Canadians for saying roundaBOOT. But... but... if I ever say rOOT instead of raowt... then... I'm doing the same thing!! eh?

Is pronouncing certain words very long at the end of sentences an Americanism?

*Oh, noooo. I'm going dooooown. I love yooooo.

I've never heard anyone from any country talk like that outside of being intentionally annoying.

I sat in a presentation given by two full-on comedy Californians today. Omigod it was, like, inteeeense, right? I killed one of them with a projector that I'd ripped from the ceiling, although that may have just been a wishful daydream.

I sat in a presentation given by two full-on comedy Californians today. Omigod it was, like, inteeeense, right? I killed one of them with a projector that I'd ripped from the ceiling, although that may have just been a wishful daydream.
Here's a helpful little rhyme: "Not really dead unless you cut off its head."

Back