An idea: A "convert to stock" option

  • Thread starter Thread starter ghsnu
  • 48 comments
  • 3,233 views

Good idea?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 102 87.2%
  • No! (state why please)

    Votes: 14 12.0%
  • Other (state in post)

    Votes: 1 0.9%

  • Total voters
    117
Messages
1,039
United States
Tucson, AZ
Messages
spedy7
As the title says.

Basically you go to GT Auto, and at the far right before or after the RM option, you'd have an icon stating that it returns your car to stock (though keeps your mileage, etc.).

You click on it, and the GT Auto crew takes your car into their garage and removes all parts installed to it (wheels, tuning parts, aero parts, RM, everything) and repaints it in the color you first bought the car in. Basically factory fresh, but you keep the mileage, switches, etc.

Of course it wouldn't be free - I'd say around 30k-50k Cr. would be enough, and maybe just add the tuning parts you took off to your inventory or have the option to sell them.

Definitely would make everyone happy when they buy a car, tune it, and realize that it just isn't as good tuned as it is stock (like my Schmiwagon for example - I have 2, painted one red, tuned the other, and I want them both stock again, but I have to buy a new one instead).

Your thoughts?

Edit- After reading some of the first posts, I can agree with having to pay for a new engine and body shell (or for the parts to replace the ones you threw out in the weigh reduction) and have the price increase per car and by what parts are being replace. IE: buy a Prius, upgrade it, but then have to pay around 5k-10k Cr. to repaint it in the original color, replace the engine, and replace all the parts you took out. Then buy a Ferrari 599 and do a couple engine upgrades, but then decide you don't want them, but -doh!- can't uninstall them. Pay around 100k Cr. for a new engine (car wasn't painted and didn't get a weight reduction), and you're back to stock condition.

GT5 is a game, not real life. So at least being able to remove the parts and add them to your inventory should be possible. Sure you couldn't do so in real life, but that's why video games exist: to let you do things you couldn't do in real life. If you want a true sim that replicates everything done to a car and the physics...well, I'm sure there's teams out there hiring drivers.
 
Last edited:
Chassis stiffening IRL would not be undoable, but pretty much everything else added, ought to be removable by any competent mechanic. If you want to reduce your PP without adding weight or restricting your engine, if you want to enter a Stock car race, you ought to be able to remove (and keep for adding back) ANY upgrade you buy.

Or am I missing something?
 
YES!
This is what I want!
And maybe the parts are kept in a saved slot for the car where you pay money to get it back to it's tuned condition again.
 
For me it is always funny to see, how people overtune their cars wthout thinking and after they experienced, that the car feels bad now, they cry for a re-stock feature to get the stock car back.

I for myself think about, what I want and what I need and sometimes, I buy the car for tuning to my like and a second for stock condition, when I like.
 
I would probably rather just buy another stock version of the car.
 
I would probably rather just buy another stock version of the car.

And this 'simulates' what, in real life? You stick a turbo on your car, it doesn't work, you get rid of the car and buy another one?

Give me a break! :crazy:
 
And this 'simulates' what, in real life? You stick a turbo on your car, it doesn't work, you get rid of the car and buy another one?

Give me a break! :crazy:
Big difference between removing one simple upgrade compared to undoing a whole RM.

This a fun little console game you guys need to get over the whole"simulate" thing and go get some stimulation.

OP asked for an opinion on the an idea and I gave it. You don't have to agree.
You know what they say about opinions?
 
I like it, because it mirrors a feature we have in real life called 'car restoration'. Junkers, ex-race cars, etc, can always be put back to stock condition. It may not be easy to do (ie, expensive), and the cost should reflect what needs to be done, and not be a standard one size fits all price. If you had chassis stiffening or weight reduction done, it's gonna cost you to put it back.

Wouldn't bug me a bit if we never saw this feature, but it's good thinking, and appropriate for the game. 👍

Programming-wise, it's fairly easy to do, and most of the code for this is already built within the tuning process.
 
This would be a good feature for those that want it but I wouldn't use it.
 
No! (state why please)

Because you made a decision and the game warned you that you can't undo it - learn to cope with your decisions.
 
Although I am rarely in a situation where I have overtuned a car (I purposely tune in small increments, adding very little at a time - or only add parts that can be removed), I can see the benefits to this idea.

This is the sort of feature that isn't at all detrimental to those that don't want it - so can only be a positive thing.

👍 from me.
 
There are so many more important things than this that need attention
 
And this 'simulates' what, in real life? You stick a turbo on your car, it doesn't work, you get rid of the car and buy another one?

Give me a break! :crazy:

In GT5 you can remove turbos like in real life ;)
But you can´t remove chassis- and engine-modifictions, which is really comprehensible.

If someone is grinding out the cylindrical channels of your engine, you can not simply say to him, he should restore the original state. Or if someone removes the complete interior of your vehicle to save weight, the least come back and let it build up again.

Every option, which is comprehensible to be removed in real life after you installed it, is in the game too and that is good as it is.
 
👍

I use the power limiter or ballast if nothing else works, but this idea would be nice for those who do need it.
 
Not very useful or practical if you need credits to go back to stock, and then more credits to modify again, on top of having to go to GT Auto. I just say let all the tunes be able to come on/off, and just pick what you want in the tuning menu while you're in a race.

Every option, which is comprehensible to be removed in real life after you installed it, is in the game too and that is good as it is.

Not so, I can undo any of the engine tunes at will with a new engine. I can change glass and hoods whenever I want, I can reinstall seats, etc, on and on. Everything should be removeable in GT5.
 
I voted yes 👍 As has been mentioned, its difficult to undo a lot of tuning stuff irl but GT is a game so there should be no such barriers
 
Only if it was a very expensive option. Buying a new engine and restoring a bodyshell after you rip the rollcage and bracing out is not cheap. Of course, a Nissan Micra would only cost 5,000 to restore, but a Ferrari F430 should be costing well over 50,000.
 
The reason that it wouldn't be done in real life is cost and safety. But mostly cost. You fabricate parts, chop out sections, weld in sections to make a race car. To remove all this and return a car to original quality would be hugely expensive. More than a Suzuki Cappacino would cost from the dealer.
 
Not very useful or practical if you need credits to go back to stock, and then more credits to modify again, on top of having to go to GT Auto. I just say let all the tunes be able to come on/off, and just pick what you want in the tuning menu while you're in a race.



Not so, I can undo any of the engine tunes at will with a new engine. I can change glass and hoods whenever I want, I can reinstall seats, etc, on and on. Everything should be removeable in GT5.

Sorry, but when you replace car parts, windows and interior in real life, you try to tune your car into a race car, show car, performance car or whatever.

I´ve never seen a person, who tuned a car for full performance and after all went to the garage to rebuild it into street version.
 
Sorry, but when you replace car parts, windows and interior in real life, you try to tune your car into a race car, show car, performance car or whatever.
No, I just make the car able to enter as many races as possible online so I can have more fun.

I´ve never seen a person, who tuned a car for full performance and after all went to the garage to rebuild it into street version.

So what? You can do it, and I think you should be able to in GT.
 
Nope, i don't agree with this.

I like the idea not to undo back what you'd done. Though in reality you can but RM-ed car tune back to street cars. That's sure logical but takes alot of time and money. (Example rear seat put it back, roll cage taken off and etc. etc)

I love for having two same car with different spec. ( I have 3 Camaros '10. 1 fully tuned RM, 1 fully tuned with bodykits, one stock)
What use of the cr. then. :D
 
No, I just make the car able to enter as many races as possible online so I can have more fun.



So what? You can do it, and I think you should be able to in GT.

Show me someone, who have done this :sly:
As many people say, it costs a lot time and money.

And tuning your car means making decisions. And you should think about what to do with a car.

There need to be consequences in the game, everything else would be too simple.
 
And this 'simulates' what, in real life? You stick a turbo on your car, it doesn't work, you get rid of the car and buy another one?

Give me a break! :crazy:
Do you want to 'simulate' the ridiculous expense, which would possibly be more than buying a second car? As well as time needed? ;)

I voted No! (a bit strong, there :lol: ) because yes, you can do things like reinstall the cushy interiors and put back stock parts, but you can't un-bore an engine for instance, and the expense of doing this is probably pretty close to race modding it anyway. The simple answer is to just have a nice high performance well modded car, and then another car you can leave stock, or modify with parts you can remove yourself to make it stock.

I have 3 Camaros '10. 1 fully tuned RM, 1 fully tuned with bodykits, one stock
This is exactly what I do. I have three of most of my cars: one bone stock with maybe sports tires, one modded to taste, one fully blown to participate in hypothetical racing leagues at hp levels I decide. I might even buy more to mod to different hp levels if I really like the car, like the Beemers and 3000GTs.
 
Show me someone, who have done this :sly:
As many people say, it costs a lot time and money.
Of course, people do this all the time. Anyone who has ever been in the market for a vintage car knows this.

This is why original cars are expensive, and modified cars come relatively cheap.

Of course you can't 'un-bore' an engine. But you certainly can replace the block and heads, and this happens all the time.

In real life, someone modifies a car for racing. Obviously, they generally don't return it to stock later. But people have a way of selling cars (I know, hard to believe, right?). And buyers decide whether they want to keep the car in modified condition, or return it to original. It's expensive, but it's done all the time.

Even the chassis can be replaced. There is absolutely nothing that can't be taken out, and replaced with a stock part.
 
The reason that it wouldn't be done in real life is cost and safety. But mostly cost. You fabricate parts, chop out sections, weld in sections to make a race car. To remove all this and return a car to original quality would be hugely expensive. More than a Suzuki Cappacino would cost from the dealer.
Exactly, that's why when I want to tune a car but I love the stock version too I buy 2 of them. You can do the same, problem solved. Want a tuned version and a stock version of a rare standard car? Dupe it, or go in the Marketplace. Wonna have 2 version of a "more than a milion worth standard car"? The game will no longer let you dupe or trade it but the 90% of "more than a milion" are race cars and a stock version does't exist, or it exist but it's another car: I.e. Jaguar XJ220 LM race car, Jaguar XJ220 stock.
 
1,500 credits is too low.

Make it 30,000 credits.

restoring a car from racing mod should cost a lot more than 1,500 in real life.
 
Based on feedback, updated the first post.

To all those who say no, it can't be done in real life: it wouldn't affect you in any way. Go buy another car if you have the money. I'm just proposing this idea for people who don't have the millions or credits to buy a new car after they buy engine/weight upgrade and realize they would rather have it stock. Sure, you can't undo boring the cylinders, but it's a video game, not real life.
 
Back