Android, iPhone and iPad GT5P time trial ranking monitor

• Thread starter Calcifer
  • 121 comments
Why should I want to do that? Jaibroken devices should still have access to the app store.

They do but apps get signed to the latest firmware and sometimes this firmware can't be reached on jailbroken devices although this isn't problem at the moment it may well be in the future.

The second reason is pretty weak to be honest but it's that updating all the jailbreak apps and reconfiguring them can take awhile it's not quite as easy as proper app.

Thanks. I have no experience with Cydia but I do have heard that signing for it is quite a headache.

On the other hand I plan to keep the app running on 3.1.3 even when 4.0 is out. It should even have been running on 3.0 but somehow I managed that 3.1.3 is required instead. I have to investigate on that, next time :)

So, I've made an update to the iPhone version of the ranking app. I've upgraded it to a universal app so that it runs natively on an iPad too! To speak with Steve's words: it looks gorgeously, but more details will follow :)

Before submitting it to Apple I have to make 4 iPad screenshots. One of them will feature a record from a specific user. The first one here to specify one of his/her own record (and mentions which car, track and mode) will be the cover model on the app store. So, fire away...

No one who wants to be famous ?!? Or no one fast enough :P
I guess I have to use one of my times again then :)

Anyway, iPad update. It's a universal app now and it looks very nice. And although it's just a bit roomier version of my app it's very relaxing browsing through the database.

I also have added a small but very interesting feature. Times and scores that have been set in the last 30 days are now marked with a small stopwatch icon. Not only can your rivals see your newly added times, it also allows for some interesting insights in the global time trial activities of GT5P.

For example, it shows the recent battles of the BTH guys on Fuji GT with Ferrari F430's or the GTW guys on High Speed Ring Reverse with the Nissan Skyline GT-R V. Dozens of records have been set by them last month.

On average, each month on each track with each car about 5 top 100 records are set. This means that a staggering 18000 records are set each month. And as you know it's not that easy to get a top 100 these days.

Check for yourself when the update will be available on iPad/iPhone/iPod in a vew days.

A screenshot of the iPad version with some recent records:

screenshotipad1.jpg

Hello calcifer

Great app I was wondering if you could plan on allowing your app for android be saved to the SD card rather than internal memory. This is a new feature with in android 2.2, yeah it's not out yet I know but Im just giving you a heads up.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sure, I can make an update. It's just a minor change. Although, to be honest, you probably won't notice the difference since the app takes only very little storage :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Sure, I can make an update. It's just a minor change. Although, to be honest, you probably won't notice the difference since the app takes only very little storage :)

Thanks

I know that it takes a little storage but in the end it all adds up and I have a droid so my internal memory is limited. These new phones coming out have like 8 gig internal

Your update is now on the Marketplace, RacecarBMW. It works quite nicely: you can move it around from memory card to internal memory and back by using the Applications menu in Settings.

Just downloaded now onto the iPad and its very good. Thanks for this. Iphone will have it on too. 5 stars all the way. 👍

This is an excellent app. Have it on my iPad as well. 👍

Have you thought about doing any more GT-related apps?

More GT related apps? Well I'm thinking about new features. And soon there is GT5 as well, although nothing is known about web support yet.

Any suggestions? I've seen the Forza 3 app on iPhone which is an extensive tuning tool and very popular too. Would such a program be useful for GTP? I don't think there's much to calculate for Prologue.

I had an idea for an iPad app for when playing GT games, a tuning app that let's you catalogue and share your tuning and mods. But the sharing bit would need a server for the exchange of files. But if you had a catalogue of settings it would be better than the note pad or paper versions I usually make, but alas I suck at coding so I cant make one.

Making the exchange of settings a feature instead of tuning itself. Hmm, not bad. I'd rather not maintain a server for this but there are websites that have databases, like GTVault. Maybe worth investigating for GT5

In spite of all the World Cup excitement and steaming hot wheather I managed to work on the iOS variant of the GT app.

Soon it will be possible to login to the Playstation network and be able to see your own records even when outside of the top 100.

I'm no expert at web access so it took some R&D to be able to do this but I'm glad it alll works. The app becomes a bit more useful now. Still needs a few days to finalize the UI and do some testing, though.

I've just submitted the update to Apple. Should be available in about a week from now.

As promised, the app now has the ability to show your personal lap time for each selection by logging in to the Playstation network. Make sure you use your login e-mail and not your PSN name.

If you don't want to log in anymore just clear the login name and your'e out.

There's also support for multitasking for those using the new iOS4

A typical ranking screen now looks like this:

screenshot20100719at231.png

The top line shows your own record in a similar way like the GT site does. BTW, do you see that french invasion for this selection ? :)

When selecting this line a modified info screen will pop up where you can fill in the login details:

screenshot20100721at213.png

It's not extremely elegant but it's easy to find. If there are more settings in the future I might move them over to the settings application.

@GTP_V8SuperCars: I just saw you have a 100% score at Ferrari Challenge? Not bad :)

Nice work Cal, will be looking out for the update on iphone, was just on the app before i jumped online here, use it a fair bit now that im playing some GT5P again, so all your hard work on updates is much appreciated.

and yeah 100% on Ferrari, dont know if thats a good or bad thing lol as it was not the greatest game ever played, thank high heavens for the G25 as it made the game much more enjoyable.

Thanks. You will love the new version. It makes such a difference if you can see your own rank. It makes you want to improve all your times again, just to wipe off the shame of being on the 44573th place :) I have lot of such times :grumpy:

Yesterday i bought my first iPhone (iPhone 4) and this was the first app i downloaded. Offcourse. Now i don't have to use my grlfriends iPhone anymore. It's awsome. Thanks again.

But. There is one thing that don't work anymore. It doesn't refresh anymore when you wanna look at the ranking again.

Let me explain what i mean.
When you selected the car and track you want to know the ranking about and close it with only analog button on the iPhone. It doesn't refresh anymore when you return. You have to select the same car of track again to refresh.

And the new feature, loggin in with my PSN ID doesn't work. I probably do something wrong. I enter my PSN ID and password, what do i have to do then. I don't see a enter or continue button.

But beside that. ITS AWESOME.

You deserve a big 👍 and a :bowdown:

Amazing job Aresh - great work for GTP :bowdown:

Sorry to say but I'm not a real techno addict so I won't have a gadget to implement your app, but that doesn't matter at all.

👍

I'm about to buy the new iPhone 4, so I do not possess this awesome app. Yet.

I thought of a wild idea related to the refresh issue. Could it be possible to have the device refresh the rankings by shaking it? This is a feature that I have found to be useful, fun to play with, and has been included in several other great apps, such as Facebook. I think this would be a neat addition.

I don't really have a use for this, but I installed it on my Android phone to give it a try, and I must say it is very nicely done! 👍

Yesterday i bought my first iPhone (iPhone 4) and this was the first app i downloaded. Offcourse. Now i don't have to use my grlfriends iPhone anymore. It's awsome. Thanks again.

But. There is one thing that don't work anymore. It doesn't refresh anymore when you wanna look at the ranking again.

Let me explain what i mean.
When you selected the car and track you want to know the ranking about and close it with only analog button on the iPhone. It doesn't refresh anymore when you return. You have to select the same car of track again to refresh.

And the new feature, loggin in with my PSN ID doesn't work. I probably do something wrong. I enter my PSN ID and password, what do i have to do then. I don't see a enter or continue button.

But beside that. ITS AWESOME.

You deserve a big 👍 and a :bowdown:

Congrats with your phone, Roomboter. I heard they had a launch stock of about 2 units in the entire Netherlands, so you bought half of it :)

As for the refresh issue: actually I did this on purpose! I thought the refresh would be annoying if you just want to look at another app. If more people complain I can easily make it refresh in an update. The shake feature as Jereweeti suggested might me a good idea as well.

As for logging in: You're doing it alright. Just put the info in the 2 text fields and as soon as you return to the ranking screen it will login for you (there's no login button). The first line of the ranking should either state your PSN name or 'No record' when no record is found for the current selection. If login fails an error message will pop up.

Hope this helps

I'm about to buy the new iPhone 4, so I do not possess this awesome app. Yet.

I thought of a wild idea related to the refresh issue. Could it be possible to have the device refresh the rankings by shaking it? This is a feature that I have found to be useful, fun to play with, and has been included in several other great apps, such as Facebook. I think this would be a neat addition.

Thanks for your suggestion. The iPhone's OS is full of neat touches that should be used more. Sounds like a good idea to make the app more livelier and playful :)

Congrats with your phone, Roomboter. I heard they had a launch stock of about 2 units in the entire Netherlands, so you bought half of it :)

As for the refresh issue: actually I did this on purpose! I thought the refresh would be annoying if you just want to look at another app. If more people complain I can easily make it refresh in an update. The shake feature as Jereweeti suggested might me a good idea as well.

As for logging in: You're doing it alright. Just put the info in the 2 text fields and as soon as you return to the ranking screen it will login for you (there's no login button). The first line of the ranking should either state your PSN name or 'No record' when no record is found for the current selection. If login fails an error message will pop up.

Hope this helps

I believe it where 3 iPhone that Apple send to the Netherlands for the launch :lol: It was a real pain in the ass to get one, that's for sure. But it was worth it.

The shaking is a good idea aswell. You can see your old ranking first, (in case you forgot about it) shake it and there is your new ranking. A refresh button will do it for me. It looks so stupid when you shake your phone. Just like seeing your neighbors across the street playing the WII :lol:

I still can't manage to log in. I thought maybe it's because i'm logged in at the internet. I logged out at the internet and tried to logged in at the iPhone but didn't succeed. There is something that i don't do right. I enter my PSN ID and password, what do i after that?

Thanks

Latest Posts

Back