Android, iPhone and iPad GT5P time trial ranking monitor

• Thread starter Calcifer
  • 121 comments
I still can't manage to log in. I thought maybe it's because i'm logged in at the internet. I logged out at the internet and tried to logged in at the iPhone but didn't succeed. There is something that i don't do right. I enter my PSN ID and password, what do i after that?

When you've entered the login info just press the little info screen. It will go away and the spinning icon will pop up. It's now trying to login and redownload the times.

When the login is successful the latest times will be shown. Can you state what's on the first line? Does it still say login?

When the login is not successful an error message will pop up. This means either the login info is incorrect or there's a problem with the PSN.

During testing I had this problem with the PSN that I had to accept the new license agreement. I could not login whatever I did until I tried logging in from the website (www.playstation.com) where I had to click a button. Took me hours to realize this....

edit: Oh, and after entering login data into the text fields <return> on the keyboard must be pressed for each of the 2 fields. This may be the problem. I did this so people won't accidentally change the info while touching the screen, so a return is needed to confirm the change

Last edited:
When you've entered the login info just press the little info screen. It will go away and the spinning icon will pop up. It's now trying to login and redownload the times.

When the login is successful the latest times will be shown. Can you state what's on the first line? Does it still say login?

When the login is not successful an error message will pop up. This means either the login info is incorrect or there's a problem with the PSN.

During testing I had this problem with the PSN that I had to accept the new license agreement. I could not login whatever I did until I tried logging in from the website (www.playstation.com) where I had to click a button. Took me hours to teals this....

edit: Oh, and after entering login data into the text fields <return> on the keyboard must be pressed for each of the 2 fields. This may be the problem. I did this so people won't accidentally change the info while touching the screen, so a return is needed to confirm the change

It's working, the return button did it. Thanks. Pressing return didn't made sense for me, that's why i didn't pressed it.

Now i got an idea for an update. When you turn the phone 90degrees, it shows more information. You can see what car the TT is driven with. But that is information you allready know. Maybe you can delete that, it will leave space for other info. You could add the date and time when the lap is driven, behind the lap time. If that's possible.

Thanks for everything. This app is freaking awesome. Specially now i can log in with my PSN ID :D

It's working, the return button did it. Thanks. Pressing return didn't made sense for me, that's why i didn't pressed it.

Might be more people missing that. I've seen some apps using the keyboard as as a confirmation button. For the username the return key will show 'next' and for the password field it will show 'GO' in blue. Maybe that makes it more clear.

Now i got an idea for an update. When you turn the phone 90degrees, it shows more information. You can see what car the TT is driven with. But that is information you allready know. Maybe you can delete that, it will leave space for other info. You could add the date and time when the lap is driven, behind the lap time. If that's possible.

That's certainly possible but all those timing info next to each other might make things become unclear. It would be nice if there was some more information available like average speed or something (Hmm, that might actually be possible)

Might be more people missing that. I've seen some apps using the keyboard as as a confirmation button. For the username the return key will show 'next' and for the password field it will show 'GO' in blue. Maybe that makes it more clear.

That will clear up alot for most people

That's certainly possible but all those timing info next to each other might make things become unclear. It would be nice if there was some more information available like average speed or something (Hmm, that might actually be possible)

I mean that the info will only be available when you turn the phone 90 degree's.

@ I vote for date and time. Avarage speed will be nice but is almost the same as the ranking in laptimes.

I mean that the info will only be available when you turn the phone 90 degree's.

@ I vote for date and time. Avarage speed will be nice but is almost the same as the ranking in laptimes.

I know, but still it's quite a long string of text; at least 20 characters excluding the necessary spacing. Average speed is almost the same but it's often used to make comparisons easier, especially on oval racing.

I'll try things out later to see if things work out. At least I could use some extra's for the iPad version. Plenty of room there :)

I know, but still it's quite a long string of text; at least 20 characters excluding the necessary spacing. Average speed is almost the same but it's often used to make comparisons easier, especially on oval racing.

I'll try things out later to see if things work out. At least I could use some extra's for the iPad version. Plenty of room there :)

I don't have an iPad.

As far the date and time option. On the iPhone there is enought room for the most part of the Lancia DELTA HF Integrale Evoluzione '91 (car with the most characters in GT5P). To be exact Lancia DELTA HF Integrale..., that are 25 characters incl the spaces. The amount of characters you need for date and time is 19 incl spaces.

But the choice is up to you of course.

Oh, you want to replace the car names. I don't know. For most selections the names are the same but if you select the 'all cars' you get to see your record with the car that has been used. Same goes for the all time records which are now all F1's but for drifting you see different cars.

But, I agree. It can look a bit stale, especially on an iPad :). I'm not sure what to do yet, but an average speed may be in for iPad.

Your right can't be done because of that.

Well i'm happy with the app anyway

Your update is now on the Marketplace, RacecarBMW. It works quite nicely: you can move it around from memory card to internal memory and back by using the Applications menu in Settings.

Im sorry I was really late to thank you for the update

I really appreciate it.

Right, while you all were digesting the Gamescom news I indulged myself in another update of the iPhone/Pad app. It's a bit of an "Arrividerci GTP" release as we soon move over to GT5 itself, although I do believe GTP will be supported for quite a while by PD (it's still being sold after all)

First, I added the suggestions of Roomboter (more clear PSN login) and jereweeti (shake to refresh)

Second, the refresh time of new data is improved. This still depends on the PSN of course as there have been some recent login problems on playstation.com because of maintenance. At least after login, refresh speeds should be much faster.

Third, I wanted to make things more polished and got rid of the list of tracks and cars. These are just lists of text and look quite boring. The tracks and cars can now be selected graphically from a list of scrolling pictures. It's quite similar to how selections are done in GT and it looks stunning. Check out these screenshots:

screenshot20100822at204.png

Last, those people using iOS4 may occasionally see an iAd banner. They won't pop up often and I kept things civilized as they will be darkened when you select something (hope Apple will allow this. It's quite experimental :)) It's iAd only so no ads from other agencies which will jerk you out of the app, when touched.

You can also get rid of them by clicking on an ad. No banners will then show up anymore until the app is relaunched.

Apple willing, the new version should be available in about a week.

No update news yet but I have a question to those who use iOS 4: Could it be that after a long time after the last time you used the app, say more than a week or so, you're not logged in any more? The top line in the ranking list would just say "log in" and you would have to log in to the PSN again by typing the password.

Just wondering, because I don't have devices running iOS 4 right now and can't do these long duration tests on the simulator.

Apple has just approved the update. Should be available within 24 hours. Let me hear what you think.

For GT5 I have a neat idea for selecting the track variants but for searching through 1000 cars something new will be required :)

Still curious about the log on situation, though...

Just downloaded the update for my iPhone4, and it's been over a week since I used the app, still logged in with my PSN so i didn't have to log in again 👍

The new menu system is very nice, polished as you say. I would think it could be a little tiresome if you are actually looking up a few time trials and have to flick through so many cars but it's not too bad.

Absolutely brilliant app though, thank you so much for your work :bowdown:

All the best
Maz

Thanks, Synwraith. Yeah, scrolling from the Acura to Volkswagen can be a bit of a workout :)
I guess is just bearable. When there are more cars I think a selection per brand is needed.

As for the login: I just realized that after a week the app would probably be removed from memory anyway (unless the phone is not used at all during that time) In that case the app would just start up and log on again, so no one would ever notice that the login expires after 7 days. Usually applications are just suspended and kept in memory on iOS 4 but when memory is needed it is removed. For the time being I think I can live with this :)

BTW: It could be that no one in Europe will be able to login today. Acording to the Sony blog the European PSN is under maintenance today. Just saying :)

The up-date is awesome man. Really appriciate it, you put in my requests 👍

You can already say somebody bought a iPhone because of your app. More or less. I was using my girlfriends iPhone all the time to look at the ranking with your app. As i said before your app was the first that i downloaded on my own iPhone. Your a hero man

About the login. I just got back from holiday for almost 2 weeks and i'm still logged in. Using the iPhone 4, so i guess i've got iOS4.

Got an idea to solve the carlist problem for GT5, if we have over a 1000 cars. Use an alfabet strip en the side. Just like your contactlist, when your on the letter of the car brand it will open a serie of photo's of that brand. If you want to put in more than a 1000 pictures.

Thanks again for the up-date 👍

Thanks and good to hear that you still are properly logged in.

You have a good suggestion there. Maybe it's even possible to use brand logo's instead of letters. They probably have to be a bit bigger than the letters so we can recognize them. Another option is to have 1 or 2 scrolling rows of brand logo's. This will show at least 6 brands at a time on screen. Selecting one will show the cars of that brand.

The only problem I see is how to get 1000 car images. Just retrieving the 75 images from the GT website and adding them took me a whole day :lol:
The application size might get to 80MB as well...

Damn a 1000 cars will take 2 weeks including the weekends. Had no idea it takes so much time. Well pics of all the cars is a luxury, so a list of cars will do for me. But if you really want to put in the pics, you can do it overtime. Bit by bit.

Glad you like my idea.

I am a newbie that got sucked into the htc hd2 winmo BS and now im stuck with it. I tried to download your build and saved it to desktop. When I tried to run it it went to limewire and stated "downloading" but nothing is happening. Please help and thanks for what your are doing cause this operating system is not doing me any good.
Android

I'm afraid that there is no Windows Mobile version. You're trying to run the Android version and that won't work on your phone. There are only versions for Android, iPod, iPad and iPhone.

Already had this for iPhone, but it really shines on my iPad. Excellent stuff! 👍 Should be back for GT5. ;)

After finally getting the iPhone 4 and downloading the app, it seems to be running beautifully. I can't believe I have participated in the development of an iPhone app!

And as for the future GT5 car selection screen, how about a scrollable grid full of manufacturers' logos? A bit like the iOS home screen but done in a neat way, the Calcifer way.

Thanks again for your efforts, you're the best!

*blush* you make me shy :)

A grid of pictures is exactly what I have in mind. With the number of brands available there will easily be several pages filled with logos.

I'll chime in and say I'd love to see a GT5 version as well. I might even use it, once I figure out how to join the time trials thing. Darn noobs, eh? 8^)

Awesome idea BUT... too bad i can't download for my iphone. When i go to the app store it says that its locked to the U.S. store. I'm trying to dl from Finland :/
I don't know the process of letting it go "global", but would it be possible to unlock it to other regions?

Back