Annoying features that MUSTN'T implemented for next GT

• Thread starter o000o
  • 88 comments
More structure to GT League, do championship races with FIA settings and more “rabbit” AIs’. Gift extra credits for winning the championship along with a unique reward car, or a car you can use for the next championship.

Get rid of the daily milage spin and milage points all together, only have one in-game currency.

A more in depth upgrade system instead of this generic thing they got going on here.

Award more credits for competing in ranked online races compared to single player.

Fix lobby bugs.

GT Sport in particular has moved in the direction of less time doing "stuff" and more time actual racing. I seem to recall an interview with Kaz on here referring to that.

One thing to remember is that they need to attract gamers under 30 to keep the franchise going in the future. And, like it or not, many of those gamers are playing games on their phone or tablet as much or more than they do on their consoles. I think PD/Kaz believe(d) that the main competitor to GT Sport wasn't going to be the next Forza motorsport or Horizon, it's more like..

https://www.geek.com/games/forza-street-makes-microsoft-racing-game-mobile-1783246/

Personally, I think that was a mistake by PD and they were surprised by the resulting backlash. So the next game is likely to be a bit more traditional but somehow it's got to fit with esports too.

Personally, I think the suggestion of "stock bop" cars for online but with tuning added for offline would be the best solution.

They could even address the wish of some to have all cars unlocked by making them available in arcade mode but only the stock bop ones.

But as someone said above, microtransactions is around forever more, unfortunately. If all the cars are available from Day 1, there's nothing for you to buy that's going to generate anywhere near enough revenue to replace buying cars.

The one good thing in all our favours could be the obvious commitment of Sony and PD to esports which seems to growing not reducing with the Toyota sponsorship. They can't have "pay to win" microtransactions as that would bugger up the esports. But that also means they can't have paid DLC post release because that will split the online community and esports too. So, I think the situation will stay similar to what is now.

The thing they should do though is equalise the online and offline layouts. There is more than a dozen races in GT League that can get you about 1m credits or more in an hour (F1 car, Red Bull, Nostalgia etc). There should be the equivalent online too.

In the end, I don't know the exact percentage but 90% of the cars in this game can be purchased in an hours gameplay in GT League which I don't believe to be excessive.

Improve online payouts and do something about the unicorn cars e.g. make them winnable through achievements (levelling, trophies or something like that) and you have a game that will work for the majority I think.

I think using the Mileage Exchange for upgrades could be a good idea if they develop it on an ongoing basis, e.g. keep adding parts for new cars as they are released and new parts for existing cars, or if they have a large selection ready at launch. That could fit with upgrade bundles too. 1,000 MEX for brakes, 500 for exhaust etc, maybe 5,000 or 10,000 for an automatic upgrade for those who don't want to "tinker". It's worked in a similar way successful in other driving games.
I suggested, some time back, things like the Gr.4 Toyota 86 steering wheel, could be such an ME part. MAybe it would be exclusively for Toyota/Lexus cars.

It's all about the PDLogic(trademark) of how they change aspects of the game. Every GT we have to buy a first car. GTSport, they gift us all the cars we could ever need for the game: N100, N200, to Gr.4, Gr.3, Gr.X. We can buy cars, but then we're gifted the same cars we just bought.
The ME is onto something, with the Gr.3/Gr.B Road cars and Safety cars. I can only get that car, in that color, at that time.

I’m really not a fan of how the tuning system got dumbed down in GT5, and then basically removed in GTS. Less and less upgrades were available. It felt satisfying in GT4 to slowly build up your car with what little money you had, and being excited when you hit the 300hp mark. Even the chassis upgrades were like that.

GT5 upgrades felt like you bought upgrades in groups, getting +20-50hp with every little part. Then GT6 was dumbed even further with less things to upgrade. Now GTS feels like a different variant of other modern arcade racers, where you throw ‘points’ at it and hope you get HP and the end. I really hope GT7 goes back to GT’s roots and make upgrading a lot complicated like it used to be.

GT6 had more upgrades than GT5....

And someone here asked to get rid of buying cars altogether and give them all the cars and tracks (essentially, means players who started are rewarded with every single car in this game, much more than those daily rewards). Wow so conflicted.

Having all cars available for free takes the specialness and achievement of getting certain cars away.

They should keep it the way it is but there should be a test track where you can test drive any car before you buy for a small amount of credits.

Am I right in thinking that GT6 got it pretty right? as far as PD goes?

$50 mil. limit, 5 day login bonus, initial VGT is free

If they added in GT5 B-Spec it would be perfect.

But this blend is enough for me (oh and halve the cost of all unicorn cars - say $10 mil. max).

Am I right in thinking that GT6 got it pretty right? as far as PD goes?

There were many issues with GT6 IMHO: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ital-less-forcing-more-options-please.304971/

With GT, Kaz seems to be making the game he wants to play, with little to no thought as to what the players want or need. And thus, each game has it's own issues, as he doesn't generally seem to learn from his mistakes by giving the community what they want. He starts pretty much from scratch each time, & doesn't seem to think about what worked in the last game, what was useful, or what can be improved. I'm speaking from a game design point of view, as visuals & car models etc are improved upon.

VBR
There were many issues with GT6 IMHO: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ital-less-forcing-more-options-please.304971/

With GT, Kaz seems to be making the game he wants to play, with little to no thought as to what the players want or need. And thus, each game has it's own issues, as he doesn't generally seem to learn from his mistakes by giving the community what they want. He starts pretty much from scratch each time, & doesn't seem to think about what worked in the last game, what was useful, or what can be improved. I'm speaking from a game design point of view, as visuals & car models etc are improved upon.
Well ok...this basically summed up the annoying features in GT series.

Hands down the entire concept of having to buy cars. Just make them available, all of them, it's just pointless and annoying.
I'd have to disagree there. I wouldn't have much of a reason to play the game if everything was available from the start. As annoying as it may be sometimes, I actually enjoy grinding for my cars. It gives me something to do and when I eventually buy a car, I feel like I earned the car, in a way.

Another annoying feature is that the path to grind credits forces you into the most mundane races. It's GT Sport, the flagship mode is Sport Mode, but the game doesn't encourage or reward you when using it when you get less than a third of the credits of comparatively mundane offline races (such as Premium Sports at Blue Moon Bay).

Challenge should be rewarded, and GT League is not challenging compared to sport mode.

Challenge should be rewarded, and GT League is not challenging compared to sport mode.

I'm all for boosting the rewards from sport mode, maybe using the drivers SR as a multiplyer to reward good behaviour at the same time.

Get a clean penalty free race and your take home pay doubles? Could make things a little smoother. Maybe.

The problem of this is those players that are no longer a kid/teen, doesn't have the time available to buy cars and completing races like Sunday Cup.
If someone dosen't have the time to save up a faw credits / completing events like sunday cup etc then he / she shoulden't even try and play GT cause i don't see those people going far anyway.
(also sorry for double posting .)

Oh 🤬 no! thats way too far and lazy.

Think about it. The only reason to lock cars behind a paywall is if you have a linear single player career, that requires you to progress and upgrade slowly .. i.e GT1-4, and 5-6 to a lesser degree.

There’s really no point to have such a system in GT Sport. It’s online centric and GT League events are wide open. You have access to everything immediately. What difference would it make if all of GT Sports cars were free?

Maybe, for the next GT, all cars would be free & available for online play. But when you entered ‘Career mode’ you’d have to start off with a 10,000 credit car and grind your way up the old fashioned way. You’d have an ‘online’ garage and a separate ‘career garage’ maybe. It would need some fine tuning, but, it’d work.

I agree that having to earn the cars is not a bad thing. But if you're also going to sell the cars on an online store for people who don't have time to grind, then just sell all of the damn cars. I'd be more than happy to shell out for the GT40 Le Mans racer or that Jaguar race car, given I wasted my money on the Alfa Romeo, but their own pricing scale makes that impossible.

I also agree that the penalty system needs a complete overhaul, to target players punting and ramming their way to victory, and leaving everyone else with the penalties. And since when do you get penalised for hitting a wall in motorsport? If you hit a wall, THAT IS THE PENALTY.

One thing I'd like to see is keeping the car list more up to date. I really appreciate the work they have been doing in adding a wide variety of cars and events to what is becoming a very old game. But the Aston Martin Vantage road car and race car have both been replaced in the real world, as has the McLaren 650S, Audi R8, and the Ferrari 458 (twice now). Hopefully GT7 will have more constant and consistent support across its entire life span.

How about making GT League something other than grinding? If I wanted to be a gold farmer, I’d play a Korean MMO and that way I can at least earn 0.05 cents/hour :crazy:

Think about it. The only reason to lock cars behind a paywall is if you have a linear single player career, that requires you to progress and upgrade slowly .. i.e GT1-4, and 5-6 to a lesser degree.

There’s really no point to have such a system in GT Sport. It’s online centric and GT League events are wide open. You have access to everything immediately. What difference would it make if all of GT Sports cars were free?

Maybe, for the next GT, all cars would be free & available for online play. But when you entered ‘Career mode’ you’d have to start off with a 10,000 credit car and grind your way up the old fashioned way. You’d have an ‘online’ garage and a separate ‘career garage’ maybe. It would need some fine tuning, but, it’d work.
I know what you mean but i was talking about GT in general not just GTS. 👍

They need to get rid of the Cr cap and also the 20 million Cr cars. Go back to the earlier GT pricing where the mose expensive cars were around 2 million Cr, not 20 million. It becomes too long a slog for people with other things going on in life for them to earn the more expensive cars, 5 million up, than it's worth IMO. But I still think the base of the game should revolve around starting with an old rubbish car and buying your way up. The game just needs to be better balanced.

For those who want access to every car and track from the off, simply make them all available in Arcade mde, or a similar Free Play mode.

One idea I personally like to replace the current prize car system with is to go back to winning prize cars for events, but have 3 possible prize cars for each event. If you finish 1styou can pick which of the three prize cars you speciifcally want, if you finish 2nd the game removes one of the prize cars and you pick from the remaining two, but if you finish 3rd the game chooses which of the 3 you win. This would give players an element of choice, not missing out on the one you really want all the time, but also incetivise players to finish the race/championship even if you aren't wininng, because 3rd will still win you a car.

Finally, give Cr for selling the prize cars, make the sale price 50% of the purchase price or 25% like in GT2. If you get rid of the current pricing structure where some cars cost 10-20million Cr then receiving Cr if you win one and sell it will be less of an issue with balancing the game.

We need to be able to purchase upgrades to our cars again, but maybe more comprehensively than in previous GT games where the options have barely changed since GT1. Don't just have small, medium, large turbo etc. Have parts suitable to engines under or over a certain power thresholds etc. Introduce more choices where the "big one" isn't always the best for your car currently.

They need to get rid of the Cr cap and also the 20 million Cr cars. Go back to the earlier GT pricing where the mose expensive cars were around 2 million Cr, not 20 million. It becomes too long a slog for people with other things going on in life for them to earn the more expensive cars, 5 million up, than it's worth IMO. But I still think the base of the game should revolve around starting with an old rubbish car and buying your way up. The game just needs to be better balanced.

For those who want access to every car and track from the off, simply make them all available in Arcade mde, or a similar Free Play mode.

One idea I personally like to replace the current prize car system with is to go back to winning prize cars for events, but have 3 possible prize cars for each event. If you finish 1styou can pick which of the three prize cars you speciifcally want, if you finish 2nd the game removes one of the prize cars and you pick from the remaining two, but if you finish 3rd the game chooses which of the 3 you win. This would give players an element of choice, not missing out on the one you really want all the time, but also incetivise players to finish the race/championship even if you aren't wininng, because 3rd will still win you a car.

Finally, give Cr for selling the prize cars, make the sale price 50% of the purchase price or 25% like in GT2. If you get rid of the current pricing structure where some cars cost 10-20million Cr then receiving Cr if you win one and sell it will be less of an issue with balancing the game.

We need to be able to purchase upgrades to our cars again, but maybe more comprehensively than in previous GT games where the options have barely changed since GT1. Don't just have small, medium, large turbo etc. Have parts suitable to engines under or over a certain power thresholds etc. Introduce more choices where the "big one" isn't always the best for your car currently.
https://www.driving.co.uk/news/gran-turismo-boss-says-removed-gt-mode-gamers-losing-automotive-know/
There are things worse than Cr. 20m cars, the not for sale cars in GT1-GT4, but those are prize cars. I think you can keep the cars being Cr. 20m if all cars are unlocked in Arcade/Free Play and have them being used as prize cars too.

I really want the upgrade parts, but how to convince PD that upgrade parts are really needed in GT and not resort to Arcade system upgrade? I proposed Quick Tune as buying parts in groups for each level (lv. 1 buy intercooler + sports muffler for example).

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/gran-turismo-boss-says-removed-gt-mode-gamers-losing-automotive-know/
There are things worse than Cr. 20m cars, the not for sale cars in GT1-GT4, but those are prize cars. I think you can keep the cars being Cr. 20m if all cars are unlocked in Arcade/Free Play and have them being used as prize cars too.

I really want the upgrade parts, but how to convince PD that upgrade parts are really needed in GT and not resort to Arcade system upgrade? I proposed Quick Tune as buying parts in groups for each level (lv. 1 buy intercooler + sports muffler for example).

That's a tremendous load of crap from Yamauchi. Any kid could and did buy all the parts for a car in GT1 when they could afford it based on the in-game descriptions of what the part did, because only the most superficial knowledge of tuning was required for upgrades in previous GT games. In his example about compression ratios - this knowledge has never been required for any GT game.

At the end of the day the GT Sport upgrade menu allows you to do in 15 seconds what you could in what I can only guess was approximately three minutes. This works in the structure of Sport Mode where the vehicles are homogenised within class as much as PD have cared to do so, but it does remove a dimension from GT League for some players.

Yeah, I disagree as well with the idea that the game should have all cars available and remove the buying aspect. I get that we are older and have less time, but that is just sacrificing way too much of what made these games great for us back in the day. Also, you have to remember that we are not the only audience, the younger generations of kids are also playing these games just like we were back then, and there are arguably a lot of them. Sure maybe in an arcade or free play type mode (like the first forza motorsport) you can use most or some cars available with limitations, but even that may actually be too much. That is because what's interesting is that I've seen many people complain about how racing games of the past had better progression, but at the same time want it way too easy nowadays.

As much as I love Forza over NFS, one thing that was distinguished between the two series (at least for the most part) was that in most NFS games, you start with a slow car and work your way up to get the faster ones. It was very exciting when you finally worked your way up to get what you wanted, which is the point of a lot of good video games. In modern Forza, you can easily get the fastest or most expensive car in no time. I know people have their preferences, but that is the reason why variety should exist within genres of video games. With more racing games following the Forza formula, I don't want all the new popular racing games to end up having the same progression. Yes, they should adjust the grinding part so it won't be as tedious, but not remove a very significant (if not the most important) aspect. I enjoyed playing GT PSP a lot, and it would've been less satisfying if everything was already given to me.

Or they could simply limit the vehicles to provided cars when playing online. You could still practice with them and tune them if settings are enabled, too, and you could save your settings for even after the event is over. And you could still use cars obtained in the campaign within unranked modes, such as lobbies.

Yeah, I disagree as well with the idea that the game should have all cars available and remove the buying aspect. I get that we are older and have less time, but that is just sacrificing way too much of what made these games great for us back in the day. Also, you have to remember that we are not the only audience, the younger generations of kids are also playing these games just like we were back then, and there are arguably a lot of them. Sure maybe in an arcade or free play type mode (like the first forza motorsport) you can use most or some cars available with limitations, but even that may actually be too much. That is because what's interesting is that I've seen many people complain about how racing games of the past had better progression, but at the same time want it way too easy nowadays.

As much as I love Forza over NFS, one thing that was distinguished between the two series (at least for the most part) was that in most NFS games, you start with a slow car and work your way up to get the faster ones. It was very exciting when you finally worked your way up to get what you wanted, which is the point of a lot of good video games. In modern Forza, you can easily get the fastest or most expensive car in no time. I know people have their preferences, but that is the reason why variety should exist within genres of video games. With more racing games following the Forza formula, I don't want all the new popular racing games to end up having the same progression. Yes, they should adjust the grinding part so it won't be as tedious, but not remove a very significant (if not the most important) aspect. I enjoyed playing GT PSP a lot, and it would've been less satisfying if everything was already given to me.

I think cars are boring after a certain performance level(like the late model Ford GT). They feel like they drive very similarly to the next car. Until recently GT was the only franchise willing to show off Nissan Leafs, the Prius and Fits. For me, those are much more fun to drive competitively. GT prioritzes enjoyment and control so that's why they drag out earning the expensive cars. It's not everyone's bag and I can see the frustration.

On the flip side since I've made the jump to Xbox I have noticed that Microsoft does not have much love for anything slower than a Skyline(R-34) and overwhelmingly favor European cars. These cars are easy to use. Great acceleration and handling can mask improper technique and lack of patience. They want the user to feel like they can go fast and be in control.

The reality(in my opinion) is everyone is overly competitive just wants to be faster than the next guy. Everyone wants to say that they can drive a Lamborghini faster than the next guy. Microsoft thinks they can satiate their customers by giving them what they want nice and early. I know you have noticed all the ramming/wallriding in Horizon 4 online. Don't even get me started on the Drivatar! The thing is no one has the patience to actually learn what they are doing.

All video games based on real activities place too much emphasis on progress and turn it into a chore. GTA online, past GT games, Battlefield and NBA 2K/Fifa.

I may be crazy saying this but I feel if devs gave gamers access to what they wanted immediately the competitive problem would solve itself. I grinded A-Spec seasonal No. 4(650 PP)(Nordschleife) until I earned every car in GT5. That was easily the fastest eay to do so. After that I almost never raced anything over 480 Performance Points.

In GT6 I had all the cars from the start and could just enjoy the game for what it was. The devs just want to drag out the gameplay. There's just no practical reason to lock things away unless you're playing Tomb Raider or some other story-based game. If mods(Xbox) didn't show me what was possible at the higher levels in Skyrim, I would have never found the motivation to play.

Can you imagine the number of people disappointed by the Veyron the first time they drove it? Especially after grinding. Just stop mystifying everything and let us have fun.

Last edited:
I think cars are boring after a certain performance level(like the late model Ford GT). They feel like they drive very similarly to the next car. Until recently GT was the only franchise willing to show off Nissan Leafs, the Prius and Fits. For me, those are much more fun to drive competitively. GT prioritzes enjoyment and control so that's why they drag out earning the expensive cars. It's not everyone's bag and I can see the frustration.

On the flip side since I've made the jump to Xbox I have noticed that Microsoft does not have much love for anything slower than a Skyline(R-34) and overwhelmingly favor European cars. These cars are easy to use. Great acceleration and handling can mask improper technique and lack of patience. They want the user to feel like they can go fast and be in control.

The reality(in my opinion) is everyone is overly competitive just wants to be faster than the next guy. Everyone wants to say that they can drive a Lamborghini faster than the next guy. Microsoft thinks they can satiate their customers by giving them what they want nice and early. I know you have noticed all the ramming/wallriding in Horizon 4 online. Don't even get me started on the Drivatar! The thing is no one has the patience to actually learn what they are doing.

All video games based on real activities place too much emphasis on progress and turn it into a chore. GTA online, past GT games, Battlefield and NBA 2K/Fifa.

I may be crazy saying this but I feel if devs gave gamers access to what they wanted immediately the competitive problem would solve itself. I grinded A-Spec seasonal No. 4(650 PP)(Nordschleife) until I earned every car in GT5. That was easily the fastest eay to do so. After that I almost never raced anything over 480 Performance Points.

In GT6 I had all the cars from the start and could just enjoy the game for what it was. The devs just want to drag out the gameplay. There's just no practical reason to lock things away unless you're playing Tomb Raider or some other story-based game. If mods(Xbox) didn't show me what was possible at the higher levels in Skyrim, I would have never found the motivation to play.

Can you imagine the number of people disappointed by the Veyron the first time they drove it? Especially after grinding. Just stop mystifying everything and let us have fun.

Yeah I can see your point, especially with certain cars. I do realize that a car's performance level doesn't correlate to it's enjoyment to the driver. It's just in most cases (or at least to most people) the fastest most expensive cars were always the ones people looked up to. Previous racing games wanted to simulate the effect of real life where you work harder for a faster and more expensive car.

I do agree with you about Microsoft giving everything away. I do think it is a strategy to appeal to a seemingly growing amount of people that just want to be faster as quick as possible, and that seems to be working and is probably why more racing games are taking notes from Forza due to it being the best seller. May even be some sort of status symbol thing lol. Forza online is a horrendous experience indeed.

Hands down the entire concept of having to buy cars. Just make them available, all of them, it's just pointless and annoying.

That’s the best part of the game. They should bring back the used car dealership as well.

What they shouldn’t do though is to make the game unnecessarily dependent on online connection (for example game saves and course maker).

My experience with GT starts and revolves around GT5/6... it was a strange experience because this was the first time I had to adjust to this strange economy.

GT5 had the $20 mil. cap but it also had the most comprehensive and wonderful B-Spec where my 4 guys worked their way up to Lvl40 and along the way they got me all the money I ever needed. I too did the A-Spec and B-Spec seasonals with the login bonus and was able to get all the $20 mil. cars.

GT6 went to $50 mil. but that game too I spent many a day just getting my virtual bob to grind the 650pp races around the 'ring. It was actually entertaining to watch while I did work or whatever. I had a 24" PC monitor on my Ps3 while I had 2 x 24" monitors on my pc doing real stuff.

I feel like I cant really do that any more. Real life intrudes. I can save up a bit for the $2.8 mil GT40 and the Shelby Cobra but the $20 mil. cars are too much without B-Spec.

I think GT7 shouldnt be catering for younger ME that had a heap of time to throw into B-Spec to get those $20 mil. cars.

Back