1. Number of Cars
2. Car Manufacturers
3. Courses and Locations
4. Opponents (how many and the AI)
5. Online Mode
6. Photo Mode
7. Prologue
8. Release Date
9. New Effects (weather, fuel, oil, etc..)
10. Gran Turismo Mode (GT4's new Simulation Mode)
11. Miscellaneous (HDD, GT4 Demos)
12. F.A.Qs
13. Links
14. Credits
15. Updates

Section I : Quick Reference

1. Number of Cars:
There are 706 cars in the Asian versions of GT4. Most likely this will be the same list for the Europe and North American versions of the game. Don't forget to look at the famous The359's "Gran Turismo 4 Official Car List".

2. Car Manufacturers:
80 manufacturers from all over the world. All of the manufacturers can be seen at The359's Gran Turismo 4 Official Car List.

3. Courses and Locations:
50 (an additional 16 for Photo Mode (see below)), including all courses from previous GT titles, locations from all over the world. Here is a list of all the tracks in the Asian versions of GT4.

4. Opponents:
There are 6 racers in a race. The AI (opponent's driving/race strategy/thinking) has a new engine. This basically means that GT4 opponents will be more competitive. Therefore being harder to win races.

5. Online Mode:
Online Mode, isn't actually online. Only LAN games will be supported by GT4 (due to lag problems.). 6 players per race. Xlink is compatible for online racing (see below).

6. Photo Mode:
16 locations only available for Photo Mode, can save pictures on Memory Card (or a USB device), can print with specific USB printers, can customize the lens, focus, lighting, and many more. Detailed Photo Mode Explanation (56k users, may take long)

7. Prologue:
Demo released in Asia and Europe. Only PAL and NTSC-J versions available. No North American releases.

8. Release Date:
GT4 has been released in Japan. It is due for the 1st of 2005 for North America and Europe.

9. New Effects:
Weather effects (rain, snow, etc..), Fuel consumption, Crowds are now 3-D and interactive.

10. Gran Turismo Mode:
The Gran Turismo Mode is the new simulation mode. This mode consists of 39 different "resorts" (as you can see here). This is where you spend your countless hours. You can also hold up to 1000 cars in you garage. And there is no drifting mode.

11. Miscellaneous:
The PS2 Hard Drive is not compatible with GT4. Two demos have been released from the promotion of GT4. The first demo released was the Gran Turismo Special Edition 2004 Toyota Demo. The second demo released was the GT4 BMW Series 1 Virtual Drive available in Europe. There was also a Japanese demo released (and leaked) by a magazine.

12. F.A.Qs:
Please go to Section 2. (next post)

13. Links:

14. Credits:

15. Updates:

Section II: Detailed Explanations

1. Number of Cars:

There are 706 cars in GT4. This is 200+ more then was originally believed. This is an extraordinary amount and GT4 is the only game with that amount of cars. Althought a large part of this number are Japanese, the majority of vehicules are from international manufacturers.

2. Car Manufacturers:

Many people have asked "is (insert your favorite car) in GT4?", this question is answered in JohnBM01's Thread. What John is saying is that if you want to find out if a manufacturer or car is in GT4 you have to do a search. If you can't find it, then you can create a topic stating the vehicle or it's company. But don't be surprised if you're answered roughly, some members have been here for a long time and probably have seen the same question asked by other members repeatedly.

3. Courses and Locations:

Since the Asian versions of the game have been released, we now know that there are 50 tracks in GT4. An additional 16 Locations are added for the Photo Mode section of the game (see below for explanation). These courses vary from the coast of Costa di Amalfi to the streets of New York City's Time Square. GTLXR has created a great thread about these locations here. chaser_fan has put together a list with all the tracks available in GT4 here. Several videos of these locations have been posted on Alpha's Video Links Thread.

4. Opponents:

The new opponents system will feature the same number of cars on a race track (6), but with a better AI engine. This was a must-improve feature in GT4. Many GT3 players found the AI engine to be unproffesionnal and even "stupid" ( :dunce: ). Most of the AI ended up crashing into you when entering a corner. These manuvers were strongly frowned upon and PD had to do something about it.

5. Online Mode:

The Online Mode of GT4 was supposed to be "On-line", but due to lag problems, PD decided to release GT4 with only a online LAN mode. This means that only GT4 players connected to a router can play at the same time. Although it's still up to 6 players, this is a dissapointment for the GT community. There have been reports that PD will release a Online version of the game later this year. Here are some features that should be included:

-6 Players can race simultaneously on-line
-Spectators will be able to watch races (not known how many per event)
-Broadband-Only connections
-On-line Community including : Chat Rooms (maybe mic support) and Events created by Sony/Polyphony Digital (Production Company).

Many of GT4 owners figured out a way to play GT4 online. With a program called Xlink (a program that connects your ps2 to your internet connection) you can join other GT4 owners via internet. For more information please check out this very informative content.

For more information on Online Mode, check out these threads: 1, 2, 3 and 4.

6. Photo Mode:

This mode let's you place a car on any course, anywhere on that course, from any angle, distance or height. PM also let's you modify many aspect of your Photos. Your focus, lenses, camera filters, motion blur, color tones are all freely adjustable. A great aspect of PM is that the photographs taken carry a small size (anywhere from 100-350kb, depending on quality). This is for transporting your photos onto memory cards, USB devices or even print them out using Epson printers. For a much more in-depth look at Photo Mode visit MasterGT's Photo Mode explanation. To find discussions on the Photo Mode, click here.

7. Prologue:

Prologue is an over-priced demo worth every penny. This demo (basically a game of it's own...) was first released by Polyphony Digital in Asia (NTSC-J) the 4th of December 2003. It was then released in Europe (PAL) the 18th of May 2004. This demo contains 63 (64 in the PAL version; the BMW M5 Concept) cars, 5 tracks (Fuji Speedway, Tsukuba Circuit, Grand Canyon, New York, Citta di Aria) and a brand new Driving School. For much more information on Prologue visit GTPlanet's Prologue Forum and/or Mustang-man's Prologue page.

8. Release Date:

The release date is set from February to March '05 (North America and Europe). This topic is probably in every new GT4 fan's head. The first official release date was released during E3 2004 on Sony's website. Many of us will trust PD's release date when we are actually playing the game in our homes :)

9. New Effects:

As some of us know, GT3 only used 25% of the PS2's capabilities. PD decided to push this mark much higher with GT4. One of the new effects being fuel consumption. Fuel was highly rumored and now confirmed (from all of the videos and pictures)(for a great thread about fuel click here.) The crowds cheering on the tracks will now be interactive with 3-D bodies, and crowds retracting from rally track corners after snapping a picture.
(example of 3-D models)

10. The Gran Turismo Mode:
The famous picture seen here showed us the many new modes that would be in GT4. You can see the final product here. These modes have been covered several times but mostly well documented here. You can also hold up to 1000 cars in your garage. And there is no drifting mode.

11. Miscellaneous:
The Hard Drive is not compatible with GT4. Two demos have been released for the promotion of GT4. The first demo released was the Gran Turismo Special Edition 2004 Toyota Demo (released at the 2004 New York auto show, and was available from the U.S. Toyota website). The second demo released was the GT4 BMW Series 1 Virtual Drive available in Europe. This demo features the newly annonced BMW 1 series. It made it's first apearance in Croatia, where amar212 managed to analyse and review the demo with great skill. To read the review and more information on this subject, please check out this thread. And here is a great article on the newly released BMW 1 Series GT4 demo. There is also a new mode. Annonced at the '04 TGS, it's called B-Spec. B-Spec gives you the oppertunity to control an AI driver to a win. With these different setups (1 and 2) you control everything from car settings, to when to pit in, to how hard to push the driver.

12. Frequently Asked Questions:

First off, I must remind you to check out John's Message to New Member's for any questions you may have. Then you can read these Q&As. Thanks to Eagle for getting most (99%) of theses 👍 !

Q: Is my favourite car going to be in GT4??

A: If it's not on The359's Master Car List then we don't have any idea, so don't ask, we won't be able to help unfortunately, and some of us will respond less than positively.

Q: I heard this rumour about GT4, is it true??

A: If you can't find a link in this thread to something that substantiates whatever you heard then odds are it was simply that - a rumour. But new facts are always emerging so check back regularly and make sure you search just in case.

Q: Who's KY/PD?

A: KY is an acronym for Kazunori Yamauchi, the producer and director of the Gran Turismo franchise. We just refer to him as KY for short. PD is another acronym, this time for his company, and the company behind Gran Turismo, Polyphony Digital (PD). So we're not talking about jelly and Nintendo64 games ;)

Q: Will there be damage?

A: A hot topic around the forums from time to time but damage will not be appearing in Gran Turismo 4. Damage is simply too complex to implement efficiently, so don't expect to see your cars getting beat up until GT5, whenever that may be! Instead, a 'penalty' system will be a feature, much like in Gran Turismo 4 Prologue that punishes bad driving with a period where your car slows to a certain speed limit, generally 50km/h. There is also a blur that appears when you crash into a wall.

Q: I found some cool new info, what do I do??

A: First, stop right now and ask yourself a few questions. Where did the info come from? Is that source reliable? Has anyone else published the same information? If you're still feeling confident of your new information, do a quick search to make sure someone hasn't posted the same thing before - it doesn't matter how new the information is, this is important, because we have some pretty dedicated people here too. If after all that you can't find the information, go ahead and post it up, preferrably with links to the source or just somewhere we can go to find out more. Congratulations, you've just made a contribution to the wonder that is GTPlanet.

Q: Everyone keeps telling me to search when I ask a question, why are they so mean?

A: Well, it depends, there are nice people like JohnBM01 who'll help you out and downright assholes like that Eagle kid who'll flame you ceaselessly. But, they're doing it to try and teach not only you but other new members. Searching is a skill, it's something you have to learn to do efficiently, and in all honesty, it's something that's only going to get more important, not just in these forums but in life in general. You remember in school when the Librarian showed you how to use the search system to find a book? Well it's the same principle here. If you don't find what you're searching for right away, stop and have a think about it. What else could it be called? Often, people use different words to describe the thing you're after, and a computer doesn't know how to distinguish. Knowing how to get the most out of any search system is an important and invaluable skill. So, try to be reasonably specific with your search, and if it doesn't find anything, try dropping some of the less important words. Never search for an entire phrase, just search for the key (important) words. If you're after "Artificial Intelligence and it's Impact on the Gran Turismo 4 Video Gaming Microcosm", searching for that isn't going to find you much, but if you just search the Gran Turismo 4 forum itself for "Artificial Intelligence", you should find more of what you're after. Don't be afraid to check over some of the results you receive, what you're after might not be in the first post or two but may come later down the page as the discussion evolves. 5 minutes spent searching can save you and everyone else a lot of unneeded hassle.

Q: Can we download content to expand the game?

A: Sony has confirmed the HDD will be supported by GT4, leaving the possibility of downloading cars, tracks and even game modes open, however at this time we don't know for sure just what the HDD will be used for.

13. Links:

There has to be thousands of great links related to GT4 all over the Web. What I'll do is try to find the most information-packed sites out there. If you have any sites you'd like me to add to this list, PM or e-mail me so I can add them.

First off, please check out sUn's Gran Turismo 4 Website before looking at any of these links. You will most liklely find whatever you're looking for there. If not, then check these links.

Here's what I've got so far: (these links are in random order.)

Gran Turismo 4:
-Alpha's Video Links
-The359's Master Car List
-GTPlanet's GT4 Screenshots
-Official GT4 website (Japanese)
-Official GT4 website (English)
-IGN's GT4 section
-SCEE's GT4 website

Gran Turismo 4 Prologue:
-Mustang-man's GT4P section
-CooperS's detailed GT4P Liscence test FAQ
-Official GT4P website (Japanese)
-IGN's GT4P section
-Racing Point's GT4P Arcade Cars Database
-Racing Point's GT4P Liscence Database

Other:
-JohnBM01's Answers to Questions
-Beta Test Question's detailed course List

14. Credits:

Thanks to every one who is contributing to this thread. Tons of kudos to you guys! (if anyone has a problem with this please contact me so that we can discuss it :) I rushed this project so I didn't go around asking everyone for their golden information :D)

Thank you to:

Polyphony Digital ( :bowdown: ), Jordan, Eagle, Alpha, JohnBM01, MasterGT, IGN, Mustang-man, The359, Racing Point, butch and his french comrade who made their site, Beta Test Question's Staff, Buggy Boy, yeti, GTLXR, CopperS, Sage, sUn, phantasm, Small_Fryz and anyone that I forgot please tell me as soon as possible to add you to this list.

15. Updates:

-1/07/05: Updated a lot of stuff... I'll be working on the little details later, but for now it makes more sense.

-11/30/04: Changed the Release Date.

-09/25/04: Added some info from the TGS.

-07/26/04: Added some info on the demos released for the pormotional use of GT4.

-07/17/04: Added that Prologue isn't multiplayer...

-07/15/04: Added phantasm's thread on the GT Universe/World. Great job ;) 👍

-07/13/04: Added sUn's GT4 link page, and added a another FAQ on the HDD thanks to Eagle 👍

-07/03/04: Added the Misc. section due to the realisation that I didn't mention the HDD in this thread. Hopefully more will be added to this section.

-07/02/04: Added CopperS's thread on GT4P Liscences, and the GT4P Database from Racing Point, thanks to yeti for pointing these out 👍

-07/01/04: Added GTLXR's tracks and locations thread, added a fuel thread, added a opponent's thread, and the online threads all thanks to Eagle 👍

-06/29/04: Added Eagle's FAQs and fixed Mustang-man's name. Also created the Opponents and AI section.

-06/28/04: Added Citta di Apria to the Prologue track list, thanks to yeti and Buggy Boy 👍 . Also fixed some grammar/spelling mistakes.

-06/27/04: First version complete. Missing a lot of Q&A, AI, GT Universe, Prologue and no spelling and grammar check :D.

I was wondering if a Mod could sticky this thread.. It took me a lot of time and effort and I would apreciate it. Thanks :)

👍 Nice work usernamed. I can only pray this thread gets the attention it deserves. We can all help fill in blanks as we notice them.

Great thread Usernamed... This should answer a lot of questions...

One thing though...

You were discussing GT4:P and you mentioned the tracks...

"5 tracks (Fuji Speedway, Tsukuba Circuit, Grand Canyon, New York)"

You forgot the 5th track "Citta d'Aria" (SP?).

Once again. Great work.

C.

Weather effects? Is this referring to SSR5 Wet and Nur Snow? Wind? These effects couldn't be real time because of PS2's limitations right? If I am misunderstanding or missed conformation on this please inform me.

yeti
Great thread Usernamed... This should answer a lot of questions...

One thing though...

You were discussing GT4:P and you mentioned the tracks...

"5 tracks (Fuji Speedway, Tsukuba Circuit, Grand Canyon, New York)"

You forgot the 5th track "Citta d'Aria" (SP?).

Once again. Great work.

C.

Yeah thanks for that, Buggy Boy noticed it as well..

Zarkoff500
Weather effects? Is this referring to SSR5 Wet and Nur Snow? Wind? These effects couldn't be real time because of PS2's limitations right? If I am misunderstanding or missed conformation on this please inform me.

I though that at E3 last year Kaz said that real time weather effects would be included into GT4. Probably no wind, but would be surprised if it starts raining or snowing. It's been done pretty well in previous non-GT games.

Nothing to do with weather has been confirmed beyond perhaps a return of the 'Wet' version of certain tracks. And we've seen a snowy rally track.

Alright then, I'll take that stuff out, must have been my voices speaking to me... :dunce:

BTW, Thanks for the great feedback guys! 👍

Hiya! :D :embarrassed: :lol:

All I got to say Usernamed is...YAY!!! :embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed: A page where new people can look at first before they make a thread that could be already made, or you can say its for the newwer people who dont know much of the basic information yet. Good thread to create! :D :embarrassed:

usernamed... nice work... if noobs post "IS _______ IN GT4?" they should be placed in the camel clutch and not released until they submit ;)

👍 👍 Well done usernamed 👍 👍

Does this mean we can now ditch the other 58 pages worth of GT4 banter? ;)

But seriously. Could we have a few less sticky threads in the GT4 section. This thread goes a long way IMO, to answering alot of questions about GT4. Most of which are covered in the other sticky threads. But these other threads are all over 7 pages long, and have lost their orginal purpose. Lets just let them die and use this one instead.

Cheers

Jamie

I apreciate your thanks but some of those thread are still extremly useful (as the one's linked from this thread). The udated car list, the videos link thread and JohnBM01's new member's FAQ are all great aspects of this Forum. Don't get me wrong though, some should be going. I respect and admire Skunkwerx a lot but I believe that his sticked threads should be "unsticked" due to the pics being transfered from his posts to the GTPlanet Gallery. Therefore making his threads basically useless.

Fantastic thread usernamed, this thread along with thoes you provided links for are all very valuable here. I agree with j8mie that there are too many stickied threads now but this lone deserves to be up here. Keep the master car list, this, Johns new member thread and another one or two but you don't need anymore than 5. Good work and keep it up to date when new info is released.

Well we don't need stickies if we have links to them in this anyway. I've always sorta mused at the "First GT4 pics" and "New GT4 info" threads myself, I can only wonder how old they are.

I'll try and think up some FAQs for inclusion.

Hey, awesome. Thanks for putting a link up to that page on my site. :) It took quite a bit of time to get all the info for the cars (i don't think i'll be doing a page like this for GT4 though!).

One very minor correction; Mustang-Man -> Mustang-man. Sounds lame, but having the 'm' in lowercase makes the name seem "tidier". :D

j8mie
But seriously. Could we have a few less sticky threads in the GT4 section. This thread goes a long way IMO, to answering alot of questions about GT4. Most of which are covered in the other sticky threads. But these other threads are all over 7 pages long, and have lost their orginal purpose. Lets just let them die and use this one instead.

Sticky threads we should let die...
Let's Make A Car List For GT4
Gt4 Release Date
Gt4p - Pics Of All The Cars - Warning Lots Of Pics
The FIRST **REAL** Screenshots of GT4!

They are really unnecessary. We don't need them anymore.

Thanks a lot for those FAQs Eagle, they really work compared to the pathetic attempt that I had... Apreciate it!

Oh and I looking for those Mustang-Mans...

Back