Any Drummers?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter BubbleBelly542
  • 30 comments
  • 2,598 views
Messages
2,338
United States
Southeast MI
Messages
BubbleBelly542
If you are a drummer, share stories and pics of your drums and drumming experiences!
 
Sonor Force 2001 in 10, 12, 14 and 20 with Evans coated G2 on top, clear G1 on bottom.
Pearl 14x6.5 Brass Free Floating Snare with Remo Coated Ambassador.
Yamaha 14x5.5 Tour Custom Maple Snare with Remo Coated Ambassador.
Pearl 13x3 Brass Piccolo Snare with Remo Coated Ambassador.
Tama 14x5.5 Swingstar Steel Snare from the 80's with with Remo Coated Ambassador.

Cymbals are Zildjian:
13" A New Beat top hat on a 13" Z Dyno beat bottom
6" A Splash, 10" A Custom Splash, 12" K Splash
18" A Paper Thin Crash, 20" A Thin Crash
20" A Medium Ride
17" K Custom China Boy Low

Got it on a Gibralter rack. Kick pedal is a single Peal Demon Drive and Hi Hat stand is a 2 legged Tama Iron Cobra.

Oh and Vic Firth 5AN's :)

img0987q.jpg


dsc00437h.jpg


dsc00436ev.jpg


I think the closest I can manage to an interesting story is I have never met a sound engineer who hasn't hated me :) My kit is setup with no consideration for where a mic would go, it's pure Feng shui.
 
I find it interesting how some people like having that gap between the 2nd tom and the floor tom.

I'm not a drummer, but I wish I did choose the drums over the Alto Sax in in Middle school.
I'd like to have a drum kit to play on, but we don't have sufficient room for one in the house anyway. E-drum kits are significantly more expensive than acoustic ones iirc, but consume less space. Maybe I'll make my own makeshift kit some day or get a kiddie sized one, where there's only a High-hat, Snare and mini-Kick :lol: ... *dup dup dup dup dup*
 

I'm not a drummer, but I wish I did choose the drums over the Alto Sax in in Middle school.

Funny you say that. I ended up choosing Alto sax over percussion in middle school. I had been playing drums for about 3 years prior, and i wanted to continue. But i ended up signing up for the wrong class. I still play drums, I play at my school's Pep Band, and i still play the alto. I've picked up a few more instruments along the way, but percussion is still my primary instrument.

Anywho, I have a Premier fusion kit
14 snare
10, 12, 14 toms
21 bass.
16 crash
6 splash
18 china
20 ride
13 hi hats

It was given to my by my cousin for free, so I've had a good time hacking at it the past ten years. Haven't had any formal lessons, but I guess I'm good enough for the band. The 14 crash from the picture ended up breaking. That's what i get for buying bottom of the line cymbals.
IMG_0070-2.jpg
 
I find it interesting how some people like having that gap between the 2nd tom and the floor tom.

I'm not a drummer, but I wish I did choose the drums over the Alto Sax in in Middle school.
I'd like to have a drum kit to play on, but we don't have sufficient room for one in the house anyway. E-drum kits are significantly more expensive than acoustic ones iirc, but consume less space. Maybe I'll make my own makeshift kit some day or get a kiddie sized one, where there's only a High-hat, Snare and mini-Kick :lol: ... *dup dup dup dup dup*

It gives the kit a nice symmetry, I find reaching for a tom in that gap is as much an effort as going from where I currently have it to a floor tom, plus you can bring the ride in nice and tight, and having both rack toms up in front of the snare like that opens up all kinds of possibility for moving between them and the snare. Plus it's where my knee goes :)

E-Drums aren't really that expensive. I've a Roland TD8 I bought from ebay for practice. Those are now about £800 from there and you can go all the way down the the lower end Yamaha DTXpress and Roland TD3 around the £250 mark, about he same as an entry level acoustic kit.

They're good for practice if you can play an acoustic kit as well but don't completely replace them as the feel isn't quite the same.

Kinda like going from real cars to driving GT5 with a wheel and pedals 👍
 
Although i've never touched or seen one IRL, from the videos I've seen it just doesn't give you that Bang a a real drum gives you... all you get is a flat ugly "tap" because you're hitting plastic. Your drum sticks don't really bounce off the pads too, am I right? Aside from the slightly compact size the 2 other things I like a lot about e-kits is that I can change the soudn to whatever I like so I don't have to play the same tom or cymbal (without have to get another one), and I can adjust the output volume so I don't have to be cautious about disturbing others.
 
Although i've never touched or seen one IRL, from the videos I've seen it just doesn't give you that Bang a a real drum gives you... all you get is a flat ugly "tap" because you're hitting plastic. Your drum sticks don't really bounce off the pads too, am I right? Aside from the slightly compact size the 2 other things I like a lot about e-kits is that I can change the soudn to whatever I like so I don't have to play the same tom or cymbal (without have to get another one), and I can adjust the output volume so I don't have to be cautious about disturbing others.

You can get mesh headed kits (like the one's on my TD8) which have a similar, and perhaps even a better rebound to a real kit. But the rubber pads on cheaper kits don't come close.

E-Kit Negatives
  • Doesn't look as cool as a real kit
  • Doesn't sound the same as a real kit
  • Needs a power outlet
  • Only makes sound through headphones or amplification
  • Doesn't have the same stick rebound as a real kit
  • Machine gunning (where multiple hits just sound like the same sample rather than varied sound)
  • Cross talk (where the vibrations of a different pad or even instrument causes the sensor to trigger a sound without a hit)
  • Limited dynamic range vs. infinite of real drums
  • Smaller pads easier to miss
  • Lots of cables
  • Synthesiser units can be complicated (cue drummer jokes:))
  • Limited polyphony

E-Kit Positives
  • Quieter than acoustic drums
  • More compact than acoustic drums
  • Doesn't break sticks like acoustic drums
  • Consistent sound regardless of acoustics
  • Limitless possibilities for creating sound
  • Easier to record
  • Using a VST can create better quality sounds than low budget drums and recording equipment. And if done right sounds as good as well recorded drums
  • Smaller pads encourages learning accuracy
  • Mesh heads arguably have better rebound and feel than real drums
  • Size of pads allows for layouts not possible with acoustic drums (an octave of kick drums anyone?)
  • No need for mics, mic cables and a feckless sound guy to make your sound

There are two ways to treat E-Drums. One is a practice tool for when acoustic isn't practical/possible. The other is an instrument in it's own right like the synth vs. piano.

 
I play a ludwig CS.. I just started and bought it last week. Mine's super basic at the moment though. I plan on adding on some K cymbals, a Tama double pedal, and a cowbell soon. I also want this DDrum tom I saw that has a super super thick rim, which looks awesome as hell. It wont match my kit, but I bet it would sound great.
 
One of the cool things I like about kits when they don't have matching parts is that it looks like it's highly customizable and that it can adapt to any context or genre style without much trouble.

I'd thomp on the kick all day if I had a kit, it's the kind of beats I'd like to shell out, not so much of whatever was being played in that posted video.
 
Gosh... I haven't 'drummed' on a full kit since I was at school (too long ago, please don't ask :O ). Was in a band at school and performed at all of the yearly school stage productions.

I have, sadly, never owned my own kit and haven't picked up a pair of sticks since then. I do, however, have a leaning towards latin rhythms and have found that I prefer to drum with my hands instead of sticks.

I have some basic LP Aspire Congas and LP Aspire Bongos too...

These are the ones I have though they are not 'mine' as I still have them boxed away since the house move.

congas.jpg


bongos.jpg


I fancy replacing the heads with some Remo Nuskyn at some point - I think these budget range congas from LP would have some added pop with them :)
 
I'd thomp on the kick all day if I had a kit, it's the kind of beats I'd like to shell out, not so much of whatever was being played in that posted video.

Oh I'm a big follower of the big beat manifesto my self :) Lang is just showing off the kit and what he can do, he can rock out when need be.

Any way time for a shameless piece of self promotion :)



I have some basic LP Aspire Congas and LP Aspire Bongos too...

These are the ones I have though they are not 'mine' as I still have them boxed away since the house move.

I've always struggled with percussion. I've a deep respect for anyone who takes something so simple and makes it musical.

It's amazing the number of people who don't appreciate percussion is an instrument in it's own right. I've had conga's and stuff shoved in front of me and been expected to do something with them but it's like give a guitarist a violin :)
 
A violining Guitarist haha... imagine a Guitar being played like a violin; either the sound of music or the sound of death will be the results! Which reminds me of this.

I don't know who the 3rd guy is, but I like his style....


it reminds me of Donkey Kong Country's Simian Segue, every time.
 
I don't know who the 3rd guy is, but I like his style....


it reminds me of Donkey Kong Country's Simian Segue, every time.


That's Steve Gadd.

From a drummers perspective Dave Weckl (the first guy) cut them too shreds with his dynamics but the three of them are just on a level most people will never come close to. It killed my faith in people when Joey Jordison was voted the best drummer of the last 25 years.
 
Good lord, the video introduced them too *facepalm*.

At least the video never disappoints... surprised the SQ isn't that bad for a camera recording it.
 
Last edited:
Good lord, the video introduced them too *facepalm*.

At least the video never disappoints... surprised the SQ isn't that bad for a camera recording it.

That sound isn't from the camera that's an out of the desk mix for sure. You can hear the EQ on the toms and kick and the hats are unmistakably close mic'd.
 
I wish youtube videos in general had HQ audio.... some do, some don't.. There are some great pieces people put up, without putting up a Download Link for the mp3, so I'd have to deal with FLV quality :(
 
never heard of Gavin before... All I know is Buddy Rich.
 
Don't have a clue who porcupine tree is. I'm fairly ignorant outside the very few things I do.
 
that's why I posted up Grooveshark links to my favorite song by PT and all of PT's stuff on Grooveshark...listen to them...
 
After I finish listening to the NFS High Stakes Soundtrack. :sly:
 
I have a limited edition Mapex meridian birch kit. I've been playing for 4 years but havn't played in a while ( need some new heads). I'll post pics tomorrow
 
Sorry it took so long lol
IMG_3032.jpg
 
Sorry it took so long lol
IMG_3032.jpg

Just a friendly suggestion, you have what looks like a 10" splash on a boom stand alone, then the 12" tom and ride on the same stand which is forcing you to tilt the boom arm downward to get the ride where you want it. Why don't you have the tom mounted off the splash stand, it would seem a better distribution of weight for the stands and the ride boom could be angled normally. I know if I had my ride like that it would hit the stand as it rocked on it's mount.
 
BigYoSpeck
Just a friendly suggestion, you have what looks like a 10" splash on a boom stand alone, then the 12" tom and ride on the same stand which is forcing you to tilt the boom arm downward to get the ride where you want it. Why don't you have the tom mounted off the splash stand, it would seem a better distribution of weight for the stands and the ride boom could be angled normally. I know if I had my ride like that it would hit the stand as it rocked on it's mount.

Yeah I know wwhat you mean mate but trust me, I aint letting that stand hold any drums. I got it free when I bought the aax splash, I think it's a stagg stand lol.
 
Anyone ever make some crafty (Crafty. yes, not crappy) makeshift Drums?
At one point I looked at those 17L Plastic Buckets you find at hardware stores and went "hmmmm I wonder....". Yeah finding the drum isn't the tricky part, finding the material to stretch over the rim is tougher. What material is usually stretched over each drums?
 
Anyone ever make some crafty (Crafty. yes, not crappy) makeshift Drums?
At one point I looked at those 17L Plastic Buckets you find at hardware stores and went "hmmmm I wonder....". Yeah finding the drum isn't the tricky part, finding the material to stretch over the rim is tougher. What material is usually stretched over each drums?

Heads are usually mylar film, and are typically 10mil for single ply and 2x7mil for 2 ply.

It takes quite a lot of tension to hold it so it makes a tone though, and given the price of the very low end China made kits DIY makes very little sense.
 
10mil?

Are you saying It's probably impossible for me to make the drum head with just man-power?
 
Back