Any reason to upgrade to PS5 for GT7 (vs PS4 Pro)

• Thread starter moraza
  • 168 comments
Unless you know how PD does and has done things in the past...
Yeah, thanks. I've been on this forum nearly 15 years longer than you. I'm well aware of "how PD does and has done things in the past"; including that game where they talked extensively about how great and 60 fps and 1080p it was definitely going to run nearly always and showed cherry picked trailers and demos and then it actually came out and it was a screen tearing disaster that could frequently drop into the twenties (despite constant image rendering issues) that PD had to completely destroy the single player structure to get running passably; then that game that came right after that which barely performed any better and had an entirely new set of image quality problems (albeit ones that weren't obvious in screenshots like before).

So I repeat: There's absolutely no way of knowing any of the things you claimed 5 months before release.

Last edited:
Who in this thread said that?

Jim Carrey What GIF

The guy directly above my message?

The dudes played 185 hours of PCars 2, Fortnite, Red Dead, Hitman 1+2 and a whole host of other games. He literally states "games" 2 posts above that. Just because his only reason for an upgrade would be GT7 does not mean he will only play GT7 throughout the lifetime of owning the PS5 does it?

More importantly, why does it baffle you what other people do with the money they earn? I would be baffled by that if I where you.
Where do you see the hours put into each game? I’ve always been curious about my GTS hours lol.

And also. @Samus isn’t wrong though. My only reason to buy a ps5 would be GT7, but it’s not the only game I’d end up buying or playing. I only had one game in mind when getting all my consoles. But in the end I always had over 100 games for each console with various playtime. 😋 so why it’s baffling is beyond me. Everyones motivation to buy a console or a pc (or upgrade a pc) is always because of one particular game. If you have more games you want(like I do), it’s always one game that’s the biggest reason. Why else do bundled consoles exist? Because you get the game you want WITH the console. :P

Where do you see the hours put into each game? I’ve always been curious about my GTS hours lol.

And also. @Samus isn’t wrong though. My only reason to buy a ps5 would be GT7, but it’s not the only game I’d end up buying or playing. I only had one game in mind when getting all my consoles. But in the end I always had over 100 games for each console with various playtime. 😋 so why it’s baffling is beyond me. Everyones motivation to buy a console or a pc (or upgrade a pc) is always because of one particular game. If you have more games you want(like I do), it’s always one game that’s the biggest reason. Why else do bundled consoles exist? Because you get the game you want WITH the console.
On PS5 you can look at profile, select games and it tells you what games have been played. I think yours said 2225 hours for GTS but keep in mind if you leave your console on like I do a lot of the time, it skews the actual play time. I think the in game stats give you a better picture but even then... Like if you're into taking pictures or creating liveries and spend more hours than racing....

On the subject of one game only users, There's no right or wrong, just different. I have friends who buy only COD every year, another friend only buys FIFA. There's an Irish guy on my friends list who only plays Battlefield 4 since 2014. What's the problem? They get home from a hard days work and just enjoy what they like. What's so baffling about that? It's only baffling if you have not thought it through.

On PS5 you can look at profile, select games and it tells you what games have been played. I think yours said 2225 hours for GTS but keep in mind if you leave your console on like I do a lot of the time, it skews the actual play time. I think the in game stats give you a better picture but even then... Like if you're into taking pictures or creating liveries and spend more hours than racing....
Yeah I’ve came that far but never saw actual the hours of the games. I do more liveries than actual racing nowadays. And yeah I think a few hours can be subtracted from thw early days when I left the console on overnight in-game. :lol:
On the subject of one game only users, There's no right or wrong, just different. I have friends who buy only COD every year, another friend only buys FIFA. There's an Irish guy on my friends list who only plays Battlefield 4 since 2014. What's the problem? They get home from a hard days work and just enjoy what they like. What's so baffling about that? It's only baffling if you have not thought it through.

Well said. :)

Last edited:
It baffles me because people are buying pretty expensive hardware and purposely choosing to straight up ignore thousands of options for entertainment from that hardware. I obviously understand people buying a bunch of games then later sticking mostly with their favourite, but there are people on this forum who have said they bought PS consoles and GT games, and nothing else. Ever. Never even tried them. I personally find that odd, why you wouldn't at least try some other options, at least in the same genre as the game you like?

But like I said, it was just a throwaway comment as I mistakenly misremembered syntex as being one of those people. It's not some big wonderment in my life keeping me awake every night.

Last edited:
I can only go by what Kaz says.. up and till now, we know the photo models are superior to anything we see in game, in real time. In one of the videos, he says GT7 on PS5 uses the highest scale models. So, I'm guessing that's in game.

It baffles me because people are buying pretty expensive hardware and purposely choosing to straight up ignore thousands of options for entertainment from that hardware. I obviously understand people buying a bunch of games then later sticking mostly with their favourite, but there are people on this forum who have said they bought PS consoles and GT games, and nothing else. Ever. Never even tried them. I personally find that odd, why you wouldn't at least try some other options, at least in the same genre as the game you like?
I am one of those players that just like Gran Turismo games, and I have brought Projects cars 1 and 3, Assetto Corsa games and Wreckfest in the past, but I always come back to play my favourite Gran Turismo game. Them other games that I mentioned other than Gran Turismo game, and I admit I have hardly ever played them other games.
So really I should not have brought Projects cars 1 and 3, Assetto Corsa games and Wreckfest in the first place, wasting a lot of money on them games.
From now on I am only going to be buying one more game for PS5, and that is going to be GT7 and not any other games for that console.

Last edited:
Everyones motivation to buy a console or a pc (or upgrade a pc) is always because of one particular game.
It really isn't.
If you have more games you want(like I do), it’s always one game that’s the biggest reason.
Well yeah, but that's because the answer to "which game do you like the most?" is by definition a single game. It doesn't mean that I would have bought the console only for that single game had the rest of the games I wanted not existed. Sometimes a purchase of hardware only becomes worth it because of the range of software available for it.

At least that's the case for me, I'm not rich enough to spend $500+ on a box that I might only use for one game no matter how great that game might be.
It's fine if they want to do that and they have a good time, but I find it a bit odd in the same way that I find anyone who dedicates themselves wholly to a single game a bit odd. Clearly they like it, but my view is that if I like racing games then I'd like to play more than one racing game. If I like Gran Turismo, I'd like to at least try Forza, F1, Dirt Rally, Project CARS and Assetto Corsa. I don't quite get how people could be so dedicated to a type of game to spend hundreds or thousands of hours on it, but at the same time so disinterested in the genre that they're not inclined to try out any other similar games, let alone other genres. My love for racing games doesn't stop me enjoying a good RPG or action adventure, it's a nice change of pace.

It's not that this is a bad thing or a problem, but it is slightly odd behaviour to the vast majority of gamers who tend to have a few genres that they like and will probably play a variety of games within that. People who play Gran Turismo probably try other racing games as well. People who play Overwatch probably try other team shooters.

It's worth noting that stuff like FIFA is a bit of an anomaly because there just isn't really a variety of soccer games to play, my understanding is that it's FIFA or PES and that's basically it. There are genres or niches of genres within which single games dominate, but I think gaming is broad enough nowadays that there's competition in most genres that it isn't locked out by licensing.

If GT7 is good, I buy it on ps4. I got too old to really be "impressed" by the new gen graphics. I may even stick with a full hd tv all my life for all I care. Ps1 to ps2 was a massive graphics improvement, as was ps2 to ps3. Ps3 to ps4 started to be a much smaller improvement, and ps4 to ps5 even more so. We're starting to get to the point where graphics will never be an issue when developpers will work with game engines that will look photo-realistic no matter what they throw at it.

I hope this in turn incentivizes developpers to care more about gameplay (and mainly the single player aspect) than graphics because imo developpers were the most creative back in the ps2-era games when graphics weren't the main selling point of a game.

But like I said, it was just a throwaway comment as I mistakenly misremembered syntex as being one of those people. It's not some big wonderment in my life keeping me awake every night.
After tried, you can stop struggling with a problem that you may never agree with or understand from your standpoint.

"For some people, a particular series of games he loves will always be the biggest motivation for him to buy a new console.

This is just a starting point, does not mean that he will always have only one game on the console, that may not be the end.

Even it is, you don't have to be confused."

Last edited:
choosing to straight up ignore thousands of options for entertainment from that hardware
I’m not ignoring anything my ps4 (ans potential ps5) has to offer. I use it for my tv needs (netflix, hbo, youtube etc) and I have hundreds of playstation games on my account. I have a dlc heavy game, Rocksmith 2014 which I enjoy a lot(not as much after I got my second kid understandably).
I always come back to Gran Turismo because most other games bore me. I have been a pc gamer for as long as I have had PS3 and onwards, but my most played game on Steam is nothing compared to my Gran Turismo hours. I think my most played game on Steam only has 200-something hours, a game I’ve had longer than GT Sport.

And speaking of keeping you up at night. Yes, GTS and GTP has had me in a laser-lock back when I did the GTS livery comps. I stayed up all night and spend more hours on this forum than I did anything else. Was it healthy? Probably not. Do I miss it, now that I’ve had a years break from this forum? Only kinda. I miss the people. So I’m sorry if you ‘forgot me’ and thought of me like some ‘GT or die’ guy. :P

I'm not rich enough to spend $500+ on a box that I might only use for one game no matter how great that game might be.
I’m not rich either, I’m just a fan of Gran Turismo and that alone makes me want to keep playing it. If GT7 wasn’t cross-gen, I’d scrape together all money I had to get a ps5. Since it isn’t I can relax more. But eventually this old ps4 will die and why get another ps4 then when I can upgrade to keep playing for more years to come when GT8 eventually releases? That game won’t be on ps4.

I don't quite get how people could be so dedicated to a type of game to spend hundreds or thousands of hours on it
Because other games bore me. I don’t speak for others than myself, but I tend to get bored of a game after max 10 hours. Gran Turismo on the other hand, is a game I always come back to.

Last edited:
It's worth noting that stuff like FIFA is a bit of an anomaly because there just isn't really a variety of soccer games to play, my understanding is that it's FIFA or PES and that's basically it. There are genres or niches of genres within which single games dominate, but I think gaming is broad enough nowadays that there's competition in most genres that it isn't locked out by licensing.
I can really only think of 1 game that has no competition. Rocket League. That is, as far as I know, the one game that has its own complete genre, there's no game like it. Its such a unique game. I think its the closest game to a real life sport out there.

You guys buying a console for one game will forever baffle me.
I only play one game on my PS4. The rest of the family uses it for several others.

I will try and get a ps5 if I can. For the haptic feedback alone.
I already have an SSD in the PS4 so I doubt loading times will be much better.

I’m not too concerned with the graphical differences. As long as my ps4 don’t die when the airplane mode kicks in(damn is that fan loud on newer games) :lol: and yes — my only reason for getting a ps5 would be GT7. Definitely.
Have you ever opened up your console and cleaned it? I did that about 2 years ago for the first time after owning it since 2015, it really makes a different in fan sounds and other noises from, for example, the disc drive. Just get a can of air and blow out all that dust.

Have you ever opened up your console and cleaned it? I did that about 2 years ago for the first time after owning it since 2015, it really makes a different in fan sounds and other noises from, for example, the disc drive. Just get a can of air and blow out all that dust.
I have! Probably too long ago to remember. :lol: If it might fix the beeping then I’ll for sure do it again. I know it’s full of dust and probably smart to do again. I’m too lazy to scratch the thingy for the disc drive to permanently fix the ejecting, and besides after a little while it’s better to listen to the ejecting soune itself than the ejecting beeping, when it finally ‘stops’. (Until it starts beeping when it’s OFF, yes not even standby, at the middle of the night. 🤣)

I’m not ignoring anything my ps4 (ans potential ps5) has to offer. I use it for my tv needs (netflix, hbo, youtube etc) and I have hundreds of playstation games on my account. I have a dlc heavy game, Rocksmith 2014 which I enjoy a lot(not as much after I got my second kid understandably).

I always come back to Gran Turismo because most other games bore me. I have been a pc gamer for as long as I have had PS3 and onwards, but my most played game on Steam is nothing compared to my Gran Turismo hours. I think my most played game on Steam only has 200-something hours, a game I’ve had longer than GT Sport.

And speaking of keeping you up at night. Yes, GTS and GTP has had me in a laser-lock back when I did the GTS livery comps. I stayed up all night and spend more hours on this forum than I did anything else. Was it healthy? Probably not. Do I miss it, now that I’ve had a years break from this forum? Only kinda. I miss the people. So I’m sorry if you ‘forgot me’ and thought of me like some ‘GT or die’ guy. :P

I’m not rich either, I’m just a fan of Gran Turismo and that alone makes me want to keep playing it. If GT7 wasn’t cross-gen, I’d scrape together all money I had to get a ps5. Since it isn’t I can relax more. But eventually this old ps4 will die and why get another ps4 then when I can upgrade to keep playing for more years to come when GT8 eventually releases? That game won’t be on ps4.

Because other games bore me. I don’t speak for others than myself, but I tend to get bored of a game after max 10 hours. Gran Turismo on the other hand, is a game I always come back to.
In your post you said the word bored, bored is absolutely the right word because I got bored in a short time playing Wreckfest and the other game that I said in my post, but not for Gran Turismo I also come back to.

Last edited:
But it's much cheaper to only buy and play one game. It doesn't mean you play less hours
It is cheaper. It's also less fun for me, which sort of defeats the purpose of an entertainment product.

If I buy 40 $20AUD games on Steam, for hardware that I already own, it's probably not that hard to average 20 fun hours per game and end up paying $1 per hour of decent entertainment. If I buy a PS5 and Gran Turismo 7 for $800AUD, I'm almost certainly not getting 800 hours of fun playtime out of that, no matter how awesome GT7 is. So realistically, it does mean that I play less hours, which is the point.

There are people who would absolutely play GT7 for thousands of hours and get value out of that single game purchase, but I'm not one of them. I'm sure people who are strongly attached to a single game like Gran Turismo think I'm weird for bouncing around trying different games and only playing them for 10 to 100 hours at most. I'm sure they wonder why I would bother buying a game if I'm "hardly" going to use it.

These are fundamentally different approaches to gaming, and it's not unusual that each group would find the way that the other chooses to play games odd. It's like eating pizza with a knife and fork. Technically it's fine, the pizza is going in your mouth and you're eating it, but seriously what the ****.

Now, which group of gamers is eating pizza with a knife and fork?
I can really only think of 1 game that has no competition. Rocket League. That is, as far as I know, the one game that has its own complete genre, there's no game like it. Its such a unique game. I think its the closest game to a real life sport out there.
Rocket League is actually a sequel, so technically there is one other game out there that is like it but worse.

But yeah. It's unique, and it's also so incredibly polished that I have to assume that other devs have thought about making a similar game and just realised that there's no way that they could possibly compete with the quality of Rocket League. It's so simple yet so perfect that there's very little to do with it that wouldn't just be a substandard clone.

In your post you said the word bored, bored is absolutely the right word because I got bored in a short time playing Wreckfest and the other game that I said in my post, but not for Gran Turismo I also come back to.
Exactly! I’ve had Wreckfest since the early access days and seen it evolve. Still not played more than 7,4 hours of it. I had high hopes, FlatOut 2 was awesome. That game, I played A LOT.
There are people who would absolutely play GT7 for thousands of hours and get value out of that single game purchase, but I'm not one of them. I'm sure people who are strongly attached to a single game like Gran Turismo think I'm weird for bouncing around trying different games and only playing them for 10 to 100 hours at most. I'm sure they wonder why I would bother buying a game if I'm "hardly" going to use it.
That’s fine! I do the same. But I’m afraid I need to repeat myself. Getting bored of those games I bounce around, and end up back where I started with GT.

It's like eating pizza with a knife and fork. Technically it's fine, the pizza is going in your mouth and you're eating it, but seriously what the ****.

Now, which group of gamers is eating pizza with a knife and fork?
Not to stray off-topic more than neccessary, but I do eat pizza with a knife and fork. Depends on the pizza. Norwegian homemade pizza has so much fill it’s hard to eat with your bare hands. Especially mine. Half a kilo of meat and half a kilo of cheese and a solid jar (almost half a kilo) of sauce. How on earth do you eat a big slice without knife and fork then? :sly::lol: (Keep in mind this is a rectangular pizza that uses all space on a baking tray)

F06B64F1-1F88-4F63-812F-84047D597C8D.jpeg
Bad example. Not my photo. It has way too little cheese and meat. But you get the picture.

Last edited:
Looks like mods are ignoring this thread as it goes waaaay off-topic! :irked:

If someone can afford to buy a console for a single game, go do it! Buy what you are afford and enjoy the hobby!

Getting back on-topic now, these are the major differences I have found between PS4 and PS5 versions.

PS4 Slim:
  • Game renders at 1080p @ 60Hz
  • Replays and B-Roll footage does not have Ray-tracing
  • Noticeable load times
PS4 Pro:
  • Game renders at 1800p (almost UHD) then upscaled to 2160p HDR @ 60Hz
  • Replays and B-Roll footage does not have Ray-tracing
  • Noticeable load times
PS5:
  • Game renders at 2160p HDR @ 60Hz no upscaling needed
  • Ray-Tracing used in replays and B-roll footage.
  • No plans to support 120 fps
  • Almost no load times (due to fast SSD)

PS4 and PS5 users play online against each other so no segregation.

Source: https://racinggames.gg/gran-turismo...ps4-v-ps5-comparison-fps-ray-tracing-4k-more/

Overall, there seems very little reason to buy PS5 for this game alone especially if you already have PS4 Pro but like I said, buy what you can afford and enjoy the hobby! I hope with information provided above, others will be able to make decision based on what their perceived disposable income is.

Last edited:
I think as of right now it would look like there is no reason to upgrade to a PS5 if you don't want to. TBH until game actually comes out we can't honestly say that there is a big difference

these are the major differences I have found between PS4 and PS5 versions.
No mention of the old brick ps4? I hope it’s the same as the slim.
kjb
I think as of right now it would look like there is no reason to upgrade to a PS5 if you don't want to. TBH until game actually comes out we can't honestly say that there is a big difference
Only difference that matters is loading times I guess. Noone buys this game for the graphics alone, and the difference there would probably only be marginal for those who don’t care.

It's like upgrading a Porsche.

Should I keep riding the old 911 or get a new 911? And then before you know it you end up moving to keep them both. :lol:
Or you end up buying an even older Porsche* and drive the heck out of it

(*read PS1, GT1 ;))

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back