Any reason to upgrade to PS5 for GT7 (vs PS4 Pro)

• Thread starter moraza
  • 168 comments
snc
100% better resolution and load times, possible more stable frames, hypothetical psvr2 support
100% only if you compare against PS4 Slim. PS4 Pro is almost UHD upscaled to 4k. Unless you have the eyesight of a fly, you won't notice the difference.

Have a PS4 Pro (that I disappointingly picked up for GTS, oof). I won't be upgrading to a PS5.

I love Gran Turismo, I've driven 80,000kms between GT5 and GT6, I haven't got my monies worth on my PS4 Pro and $750AUD (if I'm lucky and quick) + $110 for the PS5 version, nu-uh, that's pretty silly.

If I had a PS5 for multiple games, no question, the PS5 version will be superior, however in my situation what I'm really going to miss will be.

120fps (has this even been confirmed? I think so)
Loading times
Smoother 4K performance
Controller upgrades which I wouldn't care about if using a wheel

That's not $770 worth to me (PS4 version is $90 vs PS5 at $110, $155 for 25th Anniversary edition $45 of DLC!? c'mon).

Besides, PS5s won't be expensive forever, given how early into the lifecycle GT7 is launching, I will probably wait for GT8 and a PS5 slim/pro.
120fps to be confirmed not to be in the game.

100% only if you compare against PS4 Slim. PS4 Pro is almost UHD upscaled to 4k. Unless you have the eyesight of a fly, you won't notice the difference.
ps4 pro gt sport is only 1800cb, its far from 4k native and Im playing like 1.3m from 55inch, will notice difference with ease

Not true at all.. I have all three PlayStation, and the 5 is way better than both… color, sounds, frame rate, graphics. You add the PS5 controller and it’s no comparison, especially if you don’t have a wheel.

120fps to be confirmed not to be in the game.
Sorry that's slightly cryptic, to clarify, do you mean 'it has been confirmed Gran Turismo 7 will not support 120fps on any platform'?

Sorry that's slightly cryptic, to clarify, do you mean 'it has been confirmed Gran Turismo 7 will not support 120fps on any platform'?
GT7 is confirmed 60fps.

Stunning visuals: Catch sight of the driver in your rear-view mirror, watch the sun glint against the curves of your car’s body, and take stunningly realistic photos with the power of ray tracing on PS5™, with support for 4K and HDR at a targeted 60fps framerate.*

I can't imagine playing it on a last gen system. Definitely upgrade if you can. Literally every aspect will be better.
So 120fps was about the biggest thing and that's confirmed not to be on any version.

Load times, proper 4K versus upscaling and that's it, what else? Not worth an entirely new console imo, but if you have other things to consider let me know.

It seems easy, play it on whatever console you have, and if you have a PS5 already, great, if not, nothing to worry about. Stock PS4, maybe that'll have the most trouble, but they're downgrading GT7 to work on a PS4, which to me makes it more of an argument not to upgrade.

So 120fps was about the biggest thing and that's confirmed not to be on any version.

Load times, proper 4K versus upscaling and that's it, what else? Not worth an entirely new console imo, but if you have other things to consider let me know.

It seems easy, play it on whatever console you have, and if you have a PS5 already, great, if not, nothing to worry about. Stock PS4, maybe that'll have the most trouble, but they're downgrading GT7 to work on a PS4, which to me makes it more of an argument not to upgrade.

Better graphics, sound, controller feedback. GT Sport had bad draw distances for high res car models. With all of the added features of GT7 I can imagine they will be even worse. Every game I've played that is cross gen is a night and day difference on PS5.

Better graphics, sound, controller feedback. GT Sport had bad draw distances for high res car models. With all of the added features of GT7 I can imagine they will be even worse. Every game I've played that is cross gen is a night and day difference on PS5.
Oh yeah, it'll be better, probably the best way is PS5 version for PS5, PS4 for PS4, then later when the PS5 is more widely available and maybe gets a price drop, at that point GT7 will be far cheaper than launch, or, upgrade for $10 why not.

Oh yeah, it'll be better, probably the best way is PS5 version for PS5, PS4 for PS4, then later when the PS5 is more widely available and maybe gets a price drop, at that point GT7 will be far cheaper than launch, or, upgrade for $10 why not.

The info I heard was that ps4 support was added late in the development cycle and it was originally supposed to be next gen only. I wouldn't be surprised if performance suffers greatly on PS4.

The info I heard was that ps4 support was added late in the development cycle and it was originally supposed to be next gen only. I wouldn't be surprised if performance suffers greatly on PS4.
That's not how it works though. This kind of thing has been done in past generations and it leads to entire ports being farmed out to some other team and the games being separate experiences, separate under the hood and definitely incompatible for multiplayer.

Here they are talking about shared PS4/5 online matches suggesting it's just a few mostly visual parameters they are tweaking per console, that all the content and all the systems for physics, dynamics, etc are actually on par under the hood but the PS4 may not show the same fidelity. If e.g. the physics where simplified then driving would also be different. If they had been designing for PS5 from the start they may have built tracks that could not run on PS4, dynamic crowds, audio and so on.

My bet is they were late coming out with GT Sport on the PS4 and afterwards wanted to release a mainline GT on the same platform. Late again and it spilled over to PS5 which does not have the sales yet. So they backtracked a little. Still same tech, same content, minimal downgrade here and there to get it running on the older platform, win-win.

That's not how it works though. This kind of thing has been done in past generations and it leads to entire ports being farmed out to some other team and the games being separate experiences, separate under the hood and definitely incompatible for multiplayer.

Here they are talking about shared PS4/5 online matches suggesting it's just a few mostly visual parameters they are tweaking per console, that all the content and all the systems for physics, dynamics, etc are actually on par under the hood but the PS4 may not show the same fidelity. If e.g. the physics where simplified then driving would also be different. If they had been designing for PS5 from the start they may have built tracks that could not run on PS4, dynamic crowds, audio and so on.

My bet is they were late coming out with GT Sport on the PS4 and afterwards wanted to release a mainline GT on the same platform. Late again and it spilled over to PS5 which does not have the sales yet. So they backtracked a little. Still same tech, same content, minimal downgrade here and there to get it running on the older platform, win-win.

Well, like I said the info I heard was that they added ps4 support late. I expect it to be a subpar experience given PD said things like changing weather and time of day were impossible on PS4 and yet now they are being added to GT7.

I have a feeling that, outside of loading times, which should be significantly faster than on PS4, people will be surprised at how GT7 will look. GT7 looks like an improved GT Sport, the differences I spot are not overwhelming. This last statement is actually less of a complaint about GT7 on PS5, and more of a praise of how good GT Sport looked on PS4. GT Sport already had 16 cars on track, amazing rasterized lighting, night racing and weather effects. PS4 Pro won't do native 4K 60, but it most certainly will do 1080p 60, at least, and for me that's fine.

I can live with slower load times and lack of ray-tracing on my PS4 Pro. I'll play there and some time later my Nvidia RTX GPU will handle the ray-tracing.

Last edited:
Well, like I said the info I heard was that they added ps4 support late. I expect it to be a subpar experience given PD said things like changing weather and time of day were impossible on PS4 and yet now they are being added to GT7.
I'm willing to bet that sportmode in GT7 is a direct port of GTS with a few new tracks and cars. It will run better on ps5, just as GTS does

I'm willing to bet that sportmode in GT7 is a direct port of GTS with a few new tracks and cars. It will run better on ps5, just as GTS does

No way. It will be a brand new engine with weather and time of day updates as well as a host of other enhancements.

The way of Kaz was talking about the PS5 Power on the last video, for sure there will be much more difference then just the loading times.
We will be seeing the difference in Graphics etc...

The way of Kaz was talking about the PS5 Power on the last video, for sure there will be much more difference then just the loading times.
We will be seeing the difference in Graphics etc...
So to answer the question of the OP, yes there are technically reasons to upgrade, but are they good 'enough' reasons? That's up to them. For me, no not at all, there haven't been any compelling reasons listed in this thread, like I said the PS5 version is without question superior and the definitive version, but there is a reason they aren't making it a PS5 exclusive, whether we get a PS5 game back-ported to PS4 or a PS4 game turned up to 11 for the PS5, really does remain to be seen. It's PD, they are a tiny studio that releases games infrequently and have smaller budgets relying on cult followers, if they didn't do a PS4 version GT7 wouldn't be successful imo, the PS5 is both too expensive and worse too unavailable for it to be successful on it's own. Let's hope the PS4 version 'is' good enough and the PS4 Pro and PS5 have some decent uplifts each respectively. No one wants another Cyberpunk disaster.

So to answer the question of the OP, yes there are technically reasons to upgrade, but are they good 'enough' reasons? That's up to them. For me, no not at all, there haven't been any compelling reasons listed in this thread, like I said the PS5 version is without question superior and the definitive version, but there is a reason they aren't making it a PS5 exclusive, whether we get a PS5 game back-ported to PS4 or a PS4 game turned up to 11 for the PS5, really does remain to be seen. It's PD, they are a tiny studio that releases games infrequently and have smaller budgets relying on cult followers, if they didn't do a PS4 version GT7 wouldn't be successful imo, the PS5 is both too expensive and worse too unavailable for it to be successful on it's own. Let's hope the PS4 version 'is' good enough and the PS4 Pro and PS5 have some decent uplifts each respectively. No one wants another Cyberpunk disaster.
They are good enough reasons to upgrade. The PS5 is soo much easier to "live" with and way more efficient than the PS4.

Last edited:
They are good enough reasons to upgrade. The PS5 is soo much easier to "live" with and way more efficient than the PS4.
Subjective. Is a single video game worth $840 AUD to you? If yes sure, otherwise, if there's no need to upgrade (and there is, no "need") objectively speaking you will be getting the vast majority of the experience on a PS4 and certainly a PS4 Pro. If when it comes out it's a choppy mess on PS4/Pro, or load times take quarter of an hour, anything really bad, sure it's unplayable. But if it's playable then, I don't think they are good enough reasons. A few seconds and ray tracing? No thanks.

Subjective. Is a single video game worth $840 AUD to you? If yes sure, otherwise, if there's no need to upgrade (and there is, no "need") objectively speaking you will be getting the vast majority of the experience on a PS4 and certainly a PS4 Pro. If when it comes out it's a choppy mess on PS4/Pro, or load times take quarter of an hour, anything really bad, sure it's unplayable. But if it's playable then, I don't think they are good enough reasons. A few seconds and ray tracing? No thanks.
No one's forcing you to buy it... No one's forcing you to upgrade... All choices one will have to make for themselves... I'm suspecting the game to run in 30fps on PS4 but nothing is official about that yet (kinda smells like cyberpunk this PS4 version, no info/footage from PS4 yet, I really doubt it'll be in 60fps on PS4)
And $840 AUD is probably still less then the amount of money you'd need to make a pc from scratch good enough to play todays simulators on, only you won't be able to play GT on a PC (except when you emulate)

I'm suspecting the game to run in 30fps on PS4 but nothing is official about that yet (kinda smells like cyberpunk this PS4 version, no info/footage from PS4 yet, I really doubt it'll be in 60fps on PS4)
I doubt it. At least, they won't target 30fps. Whether it drops to 30 or less at times like the PS3 games is another matter but ever since GT3 they've targetted 60fps and I don't see them dropping that, even on the PS4 version. It'll just run with far less graphical quality than PS5. We're also yet to hear how weather/time works on PS4. That may also be hobbled on PS4.

Only the PS5 version will support PSVR2. That alone is significant. There is literally nothing that can improve the sensation of driving to the extent VR does. You're IN the car checking your shoulder for your opponents and eyeing the apex. Even the extremely limited version in Sport was thrilling. The PSVR2 version will be the full game fully playable in VR according to Sony's plans for the device.

Last edited:
Only the PS5 version will support PSVR2. That alone is significant. There is literally nothing that can improve the sensation of driving to the extent VR does. You're IN the car checking your shoulder for your opponents and eyeing the apex. Even the extremely limited version in Sport was thrilling. The PSVR2 version will be the full games fully playable in VR according to Sony's plans for the device.
I will have to agree I tried my friends VR out for GT sport and I was amazed how good it was! I’m looking forward to see what the PS5 version has to offer!

Anyone else getting both like myself? Currently sitting on a PS4 Pro and ordered the physical 25th ann version with a digital PS4 version of the game which I’ll start with and eventually get myself a PS5 and move over.

I'll likely be buying it for PS4 to start with because there are still no PS5's at retail in my area and I am not paying a scalper $700+ for one.
Do you live somewhere that you can buy one from Sony Direct? The scalpers have no advantage on that site as long as you sign up for alerts as to when stock is available.

Last edited:
Back