Any reason to upgrade to PS5 for GT7 (vs PS4 Pro)

• Thread starter moraza
  • 168 comments
Canada
Canada
Is there any reason to upgrade to PS5 for GT7 as opposed to playing it on PS4 Pro?

The only difference in gameplay that I can find online is "Load Times". PS5 load times are supposed to be extremely short, but apart from there, are the graphics supposed to be better on PS5?

It will probably be a little better on the PS5, but in which way is hard to tell. It might be things like render distance or LOD distance, resolution of the cloud simulation, framerate stability etc.

I would start with the PS4 version and if the PS5 version turns out to be significantly better you could always upgrade to that later.

If your PS4 is not equipped with an SSD, just try the PS5 once, I believe that the loading time alone is enough to make you give up the PS4 completely.

By the way, I think you need to worry more about how to buy the original priced PS5.:cool:

It seems like stock is trickling in for the holiday season. I have turned down two chances of buying it so far. I'll have two more chances I suspect before the end of the year, then I'll have to wait for another year before I can try my luck again.

Looking at the GT7 gameplay footage I don't see much noticeable differences. Real differences seem to be 120fps (and I don't have the TV for that nor the money to buy it), short or zero load times, which is nice, and LoD/ray tracing stuff. I'll be playing it with a wheel so the upgraded controllers aren't that important to me.

I'm hoping others here know more than me.

I would say PS5 will use high quality texture, better aliasing, sharper image, less texture pop in and a much consistent performance.
...and you'd be wrong on all those points because there's literally no difference between the two. If your PS4 Pro can run GT Sport without performance issues (even the standard one can), then it'll run GT7 fine as well because there's very little difference graphics-wise. The only difference will be during replays because there'll be no Ray Tracing.

Oh, and the loading times of course.

...and you'd be wrong on all those points because there's literally no difference between the two. If your PS4 Pro can run GT Sport without performance issues (even the standard one can), then it'll run GT7 fine as well because there's very little difference graphics-wise. The only difference will be during replays because there'll be no Ray Tracing.

Oh, and the loading times of course.
That’s just because GT SPORT hasn't released an enhanced version of PS5 so far, you have no way of knowing how much difference they can actually make..

Last edited:
That’s just because GT SPORT hasn't released an enhanced version of PS5 so far, you have no way of knowing how much difference they can actually make..
There won't be such a version, there's no point, with GT7 around the corner. All they could do is optimize loading times I guess.

Of course GT7 will probably run at a higher resolution on PS5, but there's really not gonna be much of a difference performance-wise, they'll optimize it for 60fps as they always do... I would hope for 120fps in an update later on.

Is there any reason to upgrade to PS5 for GT7 as opposed to playing it on PS4 Pro?

The only difference in gameplay that I can find online is "Load Times". PS5 load times are supposed to be extremely short, but apart from there, are the graphics supposed to be better on PS5?
If you can get your hands on a PS5 then get GT7 on PS5! I have a regular PS4,PS4 pro, and a PS5. GTS runs best on my PS5 hands down! I have a Samsung Q series TV, and GTS looks amazing and runs extremely smooth on my PS5. The PS4 pro also looks great and runs smooth however, you get little hiccups with stuttering on the screen. Never during an actual race, but sometimes with the replays and with the home screen demos. Also with the home view car feature the game would hiccup slightly… nothing crazy but I did notice it. The regular PS4 while it holds it owns and GTS still looks good l, it just doesn’t compare to the PS5 or PS4 pro. The HDR 4k in my opinion makes a huge difference while playing GTS.

I Have COD Cold War for PS5 and PS4 pro and even though they are cross generation games, there is a huge difference graphical and performance wise. How super clear the game is on PS5, The colors, the reflections, sounds, while the PS4 pro still looks great it can’t match the PS5. My son doesn’t even want to play the PS4 pro, because he says he can see and play better on the PS5. Another note is the controller sensation you get from the PS5. I can write so much more just on why you should get a PS5 because of the controller. The PS4 controller feels nothing like the PS5 controller! How active the PS5 controller is really makes gaming that much enjoyable!

We won't know for sure until they actually release comparative footage of GT7 on the two systems, but you can have a look at the Digital Foundry console comparisons for Forza Horizon 5 to get an idea of what the difference between the generations is roughly going to look like for a racing game.

The PS5 version should probably look pretty substantially better than the PS4/PS4P version, but the older versions will likely look and play just fine.

I’ll say this. I’m still on the first gen ps4 and I’ll likely upgrade to a ps5 when I can get my hands on one just to get the digital console. My ps4 keeps ejecting and I have maybe used the disc drive five times. I only have digital games. I’ll get a hard copy of GT7 like I’ve always done, but I won’t use it. My GTS Collectors Edition is still sealed. But until it’s realistic to get a ps5 I’ll keep using my ps4. And just live with the constant ejecting

At this point I would wait to get a PS5 (that's if your main reason for buying it is for GT7) till the game releases or till there's actual game play on the PS4 for comparisons, we really don't know how much compromises PD have been made with quality, something has to give with the extra demands for dynamic time/weather, my bet compared with GT Sports texture bake tracks, the PS4 version of GT7 will not look as good.

I’m not too concerned with the graphical differences. As long as my ps4 don’t die when the airplane mode kicks in(damn is that fan loud on newer games) :lol: and yes — my only reason for getting a ps5 would be GT7. Definitely.

You guys buying a console for one game will forever baffle me.
Who in this thread said that?

Jim Carrey What GIF

The dudes played 185 hours of PCars 2, Fortnite, Red Dead, Hitman 1+2 and a whole host of other games. He literally states "games" 2 posts above that. Just because his only reason for an upgrade would be GT7 does not mean he will only play GT7 throughout the lifetime of owning the PS5 does it?

More importantly, why does it baffle you what other people do with the money they earn? I would be baffled by that if I where you.

The dudes played 185 hours of PCars 2, Fortnite, Red Dead, Hitman 1+2 and a whole host of other games. He literally states "games" 2 posts above that. Just because his only reason for an upgrade would be GT7 does not mean he will only play GT7 throughout the lifetime of owning the PS5 does it?

More importantly, why does it baffle you what other people do with the money they earn? I would be baffled by that if I where you.
My mistake then, but there certainly are people on here who only buy a console for GT.

Anyway, it wasn't that deep a message. I find it strange, that's about it. No need to analyse it.

Different people brought up some points but I think there’s an important one missing imo. If you play online through Wi-Fi, the PS5 supposedly will give you a better, more stable connection.

Edit: We all know how dropping from a sport mode race and losing DR feels.

Last edited:
Of course GT7 will probably run at a higher resolution on PS5, but there's really not gonna be much of a difference performance-wise, they'll optimize it for 60fps as they always do... I would hope for 120fps in an update later on.
There's absolutely no way of knowing any of this 5 months before release.

Last edited:
Back