Any reason to upgrade to PS5 for GT7 (vs PS4 Pro)

• Thread starter moraza
  • 168 comments
If you could fire turtle shells at your opponents in Gran Turismo I wouldn't consider that a racing game either. You may as well add GTA to your list of "racing" games since like NFS it centers around evading the police in car chases and like Mario Kart you can fire at your opponents vehicles.
You're not going to change my opinion on this one. If there are "obstacles" like banana peels and cop cars it's not a racing game. Racing games are about out racing your opponent. Those games belong in the same category as Twist Metal. Car combat.
If you want to have the opinion that anything with weapons or obstacles isn't a racing game, best of luck to you. You're wrong, but nobody can stop you from being wrong.

I think you're getting confused between games where the objective is to destroy your opponents and games where the objective is to finish before your opponents. Just because a game has "weapons" doesn't mean the objective is to destroy, it's just another way of introducing interactivity to the game beyond simply ramming your opponents off the road. Likewise, just because a game has cars going fast doesn't mean it's a racing game.

Or you're not confused at all and you just want to be able to say that Gran Turismo is the most successful game, but you're not willing to admit that Gran Turismo is only the most successful in a fairly niche genre with very little in the way of AAA competition. Gran Turismo doesn't become a worse game just because Mario Kart is incredibly accessible to anyone with thumbs and Need for Speed has put out like 25 different games.

IMO, total franchise sales isn't a particularly good measure of quality or anything other than how many copies were "sold".

The more gets revealed about GT7's PS5 capabilities, the more the potential gains from releasing on both PS4 and 5 are revealed to be boilerplate and don't do a good job of putting across how big of a leap into the next gen that GT7 could be, especially for those who probably tried to grab a PS5 knowing that GT7 was actually going to come. At the very least, Forza is being honest with themselves that the changes needed for the series can really only be achieved with going next gen only, and are focusing FM8 for that very purpose. With GT7, what was the point of latching onto the PS4 other then player base which might not even be enough for sales? Now you've hitched yourself to a system that actively reduces how much you can actually make a game next gen, and considering how long Polyphony takes to develop games, the first true 'next gen' GT game on PS5 might very likely be 75% of the way through the generation.

also lmfao at this thread turning into one guy seriously believing that games like NFS and Mario Kart aren't racing games. They absolutely are, and 99% of people on this planet, aside from a few sim poisoned brains on this forum, would agree with those same titles, in broad strokes, being of the same genre as GT and any other hardcore sim.

Last edited:
Just on the Forza thing, yeah agree, but remember Forza has PC available too so it's really hard to compare, XB SXs aren't in as high demand basically because of this, so there's no reason for Microsoft to bother with the... Xbox 1X looks it up Ok couldn't find anything.
Now you've hitched yourself to a system that actively reduces how much you can actually make a game next gen, and considering how long Polyphony takes to develop games, the first true 'next gen' GT game on PS5 might very likely be 75% of the way through the generation.
So there is some hope for this point I believe, maybe just a little, I have nothing concrete but here's my thinking looking back at the main games.

GT3 launched on PS2 and 3 years later GT4 also launched. I'm very light on both games, but I did go back and buy them and play them and to me, GT3's engine, felt like a really polished well done GT2. It might not have been but it felt like that. GT4 was a whole new game.

GT4 to GT5 took an age and that's what everyone remembers 'OMG another Gran Turismo is releasing?' I remember being in disbelief when it finally happened. GT5 and GT6, essentially the same engine (imo, and I have played both extensively).

So if GTS and GT7 is both, kinda like the 5-6 year gap of GT3 to GT4, but also like the GT3 to GT2 change(a well done version of previous generation engine), if we're lucky, GT8 could be the whole brand new game for the PS5, exclusive to PS5 and using it to the max. Just to get return it will probably only be in 2025, late 2024 if we're very very lucky, but hey, at that point people will likely be able to casually walk over to any store and just buy any PS5 like it's nothing, so at least there's that?

snc
ps4 pro gt sport is only 1800cb, its far from 4k native and Im playing like 1.3m from 55inch, will notice difference with ease
[/QUO
120fps to be confirmed not to be in the game.
Totally agree!! If you're that hung up on the visuals go waste your money on an overpriced ps5. I'm playing it on a 4k tv with ps4 pro and it plays and looks fantastic. the game is about the driving experience/dynamics, I've owned every gt title and it's amazing they were able to make gt7 perform on a ps4 and allowed gt lovers to experience it on the older systems, be grateful every time polyphony have improved the game and it's dynamics it's all totally subjective.

A lot of people have uploaded 4k hdr comparison of ps4 pro, ps4 and ps5 versions. Ps4 pro and ps5 versions have identical on track gameplay. Replay has ray tracing but not worth $600. Load times are definitely noticeable but also not worth $600.

4k native vs 1800p upscaled to 4k is undistinguishable to naked eye if you are focused on racing and not comparing tree shadows in a frame by frame comparison.

A lot of people have uploaded 4k hdr comparison of ps4 pro, ps4 and ps5 versions. Ps4 pro and ps5 versions have identical on track gameplay. Replay has ray tracing but not worth $600. Load times are definitely noticeable but also not worth $600.

4k native vs 1800p upscaled to 4k is undistinguishable to naked eye if you are focused on racing and not comparing tree shadows in a frame by frame comparison.
I don't know what TV you have but native 4k to 1800p checkerboarded is a massive difference.

I don't know what TV you have but native 4k to 1800p checkerboarded is a massive difference.
Not for games like GT7 with hyper realistic graphics. The checkerboard thing is only an issue for vector art, not rasterized art.

Watch the videos on a 4k hdr display and see for yourself. I'm 100% sure in a blind test, no one will be able to distinguish GT7's ps4 pro gameplay vs ps5 gameplay, just like Linus Tech Tups did blind tests for nvme vs ssd gaming systems and no one could ever tell the difference by just playing the games. They all have to run diagnostics tools to see file transfer speeds even though on paper the difference in specs is huge.

Not for games like GT7 with hyper realistic graphics. The checkerboard thing is only an issue for vector art, not rasterized art.

Watch the videos on a 4k hdr display and see for yourself. I'm 100% sure in a blind test, no one will be able to distinguish GT7's ps4 pro gameplay vs ps5 gameplay, just like Linus Tech Tups did blind tests for nvme vs ssd gaming systems and no one could ever tell the difference by just playing the games. They all have to run diagnostics tools to see file transfer speeds even though on paper the difference in specs is huge.
I don't need to watch a youtube video because youtube can't even translate the quality of native 4k, i'm talking from experience.

I played Sport for years at 1800p checkerboarded and when i first played 7 at native 4K it was a huge difference.

I don't need to watch a youtube video because youtube can't even translate the quality of native 4k, i'm talking from experience.

I played Sport for years at 1800p checkerboarded and when i first played 7 at native 4K it was a huge difference.
GT Sport doesn't have native 4k on PS5. It renders the exact same way on both consoles. You're basing your decisions on placebo.

I've played it on both PS5 and PS4 Pro. Loading is by far the most noticeable/impactful difference for your experience. There are other differences as well (e.g. graphics and dual sense obviously, framerate/responsiveness when you're navigating on the main menu, etc), but I would rate them as minor. Also, the game progress is shared, but I'm not sure you can earn trophy twice. By the time I tried the PS4 version for the first time, I already got 30 or so trophies on PS5 side, but no trophy was automatically unlocked. And only 2 mileage-related trophies were unlocked after I finished one of world circuit events on PS4.

Is there any reason to upgrade to PS5 for GT7 as opposed to playing it on PS4 Pro?

The only difference in gameplay that I can find online is "Load Times". PS5 load times are supposed to be extremely short, but apart from there, are the graphics supposed to be better on PS5?

Some reasons more than "load times"

Oh I wish I had known my wife and kids were planning to buy me a PS5 as a present as I would have said no don't the game is available on ps4 and I already have one of those.
It seems £550 is a lot to spend on a console just to get a bit better graphics when lets be honest when we are racing we don't even notice.
I suppose if you use the console for many games it may be worth it but for me I don't play any other games as I truly believe there is very very few games if any which appeal to me since Driveclub.
War games, F1 and Fifa and all this Horizon stuff etc I would rather build a house extension with Fred West.

My neighbour has GT7 on PS4 we got it same day and his looks no different to mine if I am honest, maybe in trees or clouds maybe a bit more sharper in ps5 but it isn't that much difference, We both have 4k tv's.
So if you are thinking of going PS5 just for GT7 I would say no it isn't worth it but if you want PS5 as the next step like we went PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4 then yes ok I see the sense in that.

Digital Foundry with their usual excellent content:
Yeah, excellent video and I'd say kudos to PD for doing as well as they did to optimize the game on PS4/Pro but for anyone to downplay the differences on PS5 to just "load times" is really disingenuous IMO. Its one thing to say these graphical / performance differences that are very apparent in that video are not important to you, but let's not pretend they really don't make a notable impact.

While I might be hard pressed to point out all the differences as they have been done in this video after playing the game on a PS4 Pro and then a PS5, there is still a perceived difference. .....and it's the coalescence of all these differences (big and small) that make the gameplay on PS5 that much better visually IMO which is made even more obvious with a side by side comparison.

In other words, try a blind test between the two in separate viewings and sure, some may be hard pressed to point all the reasons why one looks better over the other but put them side by side and and it becomes abundantly apparent.

The load times..... Holy cow does that make difference. I've had to bounce out of races to tune my car and do others things several times already but I hardly give a thought to it as I can jump in and out within just a few seconds.

The DualSense also brings in a whole other level to the immersion IMO. It took a bit to really gain a full appreciation of how it can be utilized to my benefit rather than just a "cool immersion feature". I can actually feel when I'm beginning to lose traction now or when the brakes a starting to lock up and then quickly / subtly make adjustments.

....and the graphics, effects and related performance is simply hands down better on the PS5 IMO. ...but whether that's worth buying new PS5 system and ditching your PS4 Pro, that's a personal choice everyone has to make on their own. In short, I would simply point anyone asking that question to that video and let them decide if they feel it's worth it.

Back