Any reasons that you're more interested in Gran Turismo 7 than Forza Motorsport (Xbox Series X)?

• Thread starter GTxForza
  • 55 comments
Australia
Australia
Dear petrol heads in Console & PC Gaming board.

Shortly after Microsoft showcased their Xbox Series X's 1st parties then a lot of viewers appeared to be really unsatisfied for several reasons including Forza Motorsport only showed up it's trailer rather than proper gameplay footage.

So I would like to know your opinions on these two games at this moment.

Don't know enough or seen enough of either to know anything really. Both are a long way off as well.

However, from what we HAVE seen (which I admit is very little) it looks to me like one game is trying to innovate and one risks being stuck in the past.

Don't know enough or seen enough of either to know anything really. Both are a long way off as well.

However, from what we HAVE seen (which I admit is very little) it looks to me like one game is trying to innovate and one risks being stuck in the past.

Before Forza Motorsport shows up, I was really excited for it then turned out to be like a teaser trailer which made me feel a little bit disappointed.

Any reasons that you're more interested in Gran Turismo 7 than Forza Motorsport? Simple. Whilst I will buy a PS5 I will not buy the Xbox. Therefore Gran Turismo takes priority.

Based purely on the reveal trailers, the GT7 reveal gave us much more of a glimpse into what direction the game was going in and crucially showed gameplay footage. The Forza reveal was nothing more than a non-gameplay teaser. It showed me nothing.

So GT7 wins the better reveal, but am I more excited for GT7 than the next Forza? Probably now, I think if the next Forza had been nearly complete and confirmed for release this year I’d have started looking forward to that more because I could likely play it sooner.

Now we’re in a position where both games are potentially a way off, I think I’m looking forward to GT7 more. It’s been so long since we last had a traditional GT game, and the original Gran Turismo was such a big part of my youth and developing my interest in cars further.

So nostalgia goggles tips it for me, but I am looking forward to both really.

Well the difference between the two games for me is weighing up the decision on a console as well.

I have an Xbox One but I only use it for Bus Simulator and Forza Horizon 4 so the majority of my gaming is on PS4 thus GT 7 would win the next racing game race for me as I am not really interested in the rest of the Forza franchise.

Plus GT 7 showed a lot more content than the early build of the new Forza though the reboot idea at Forza makes me wonder if Gran Turismo should have considered the same and just called it Gran Turismo and started over again.

I was a massive Forza Motorsport fan for nearly a decade. But every iteration of Forza on the xbox one has left me disappointed for various reasons. So I’m done with that series.

I also want to build a good pc, so the xbox is pretty much redundant.

I was a massive Forza Motorsport fan for nearly a decade. But every iteration of Forza on the xbox one has left me disappointed for various reasons. So I’m done with that series.

I also want to build a good pc, so the xbox is pretty much redundant.
Same, the X-Box games I want to play are all available on the PC these days, so there is no need to buy the console because I have a gaming laptop.

I didnt play Forza 6, but I found Forza 7 dissapointing in some ways. It had a fantastic free race mode and a great car selection, but the single player career was uninspired and didnt hold my attention.

The way the game threw cars at you and the homologation system didnt work for me. We need events where you could race your hot hatch not just against hot hatches and not just in that one level of tune (or thereabouts).

Last edited:
Forza will also be on PC but IMO its trailer was lackluster compared GT7. Both are in early stage of development and I think couple of years away from release.

Yeah, unlike how Forza Motorsport 5 being first shown back in E3 2013 where they demonstrated the gameplay but for Forza Motorsport 8, they didn't? oh really?

Same, the X-Box games I want to play are all available on the PC these days, so there is no need to buy the console because I have a gaming laptop.

I didnt play Forza 6, but I found Forza 7 dissapointing in some ways. It had a fantastic free race mode and a great car selection, but the single player career was uninspired and didnt hold my attention.

The way the game threw cars at you and the homologation system didnt work for me. We need events where you could race your hot hatch not just against hot hatches and not just in that one level of tune (or thereabouts).

I agree. I love the game as a whole, as hot lapping and free racing goes its unrivalled in my opinion. But yeah the single-player career and with it the homologation stuff was poor. I know its a bit of an old school cliche thing but the FM3/FM4 single player was far better. Nothing wrong with having a virtual spreadsheet of events covering every car, country, drive type, rivalry and circuit. Gives the game length and satisfying completion.

Edit: bring back this. Nothing more satisfying than a sheet of ticks.
QV8LO.jpg

It has nothing to do with the trailers, but GT7 is more appealing at this point because Polyphony has shown an understanding of what it takes to provide deep, interesting racing, where as T10 haven't. Of course T10 could add that stuff, but given they haven't made a single step towards that in their 15 years of Forza Motorsports titles, there is little reason to believe they will suddenly get it now.

The customizable tire wear and fuel burn rates, different tire compounds, smart pit stops, and functioning draft all make the quality and depth of racing on GTS miles ahead of what Forza can provide.

I've never liked Xbox as a console, or the Forza series. I tried it once, Forza 4 I think, but the FFB was atrocious compared to GT5 so I never tried it again. I've pretty much gone off the GT series as well, GT Sport was the worst game so far IMO, & I have no plans to buy a PS5 at present. That said, I preferred the Forza trailer in the OP over the GT7 one. I've built a gaming PC, have got Assetto Corsa, & will be getting involved with trying out various other older sims that would run well on it. Between the forced FFB wheel incompatibility, the disappointment that was Project BUGS, & the non GT game that was GT Sport, I'm done with the PlayStation brand, for now...

It has nothing to do with the trailers, but GT7 is more appealing at this point because Polyphony has shown an understanding of what it takes to provide deep, interesting racing, where as T10 haven't. Of course T10 could add that stuff, but given they haven't made a single step towards that in their 15 years of Forza Motorsports titles, there is little reason to believe they will suddenly get it now.

The customizable tire wear and fuel burn rates, different tire compounds, smart pit stops, and functioning draft all make the quality and depth of racing on GTS miles ahead of what Forza can provide.

Hmm not sure I agree on that. The fundamental part of racing, the actual racing part, is a joke in GTS. Same as its been since GT5, absolutely awful. Forzas far from perfect but at least its actually fun to have a race.

VBR
I've never liked Xbox as a console, or the Forza series. I tried it once, Forza 4 I think, but the FFB was atrocious compared to GT5 so I never tried it again. I've pretty much gone off the GT series as well, GT Sport was the worst game so far IMO, & I have no plans to buy a PS5 at present. That said, I preferred the Forza trailer in the OP over the GT7 one. I've built a gaming PC, have got Assetto Corsa, & will be getting involved with trying out various other older sims that would run well on it. Between the forced FFB wheel incompatibility, the disappointment that was Project BUGS, & the non GT game that was GT Sport, I'm done with the PlayStation brand, for now...

Yep, Assetto Corsa is a great game.

I'm excited for whatever one will have normal cars alongside racecars and supercars. I can't be bothered with racecars and supercars aren't fun for me, I want to be able to take something like a run-of-the-mill Honda Civic and turn it into a weekend warrior type racer to take on other similar cars. My hunch is that Forza is moving away from that with the Motorsports series and leaving that for Horizon. If that's the case, and assuming GT7 follows the traditional formula, I'll probably be more apt to pick up GT7 over FM.

I do have the Xbox Game Pass though so I'll probably be able to check out FM regardless.

I have more nostalgia with Gran Turismo than with Forza. That’s my main reason for being more excited about GT7.

As far as trailers go, I think they were pretty much on par with each other.

This is exactly how I felt about the FM series and it’s the main reason I quit. GTS is miles ahead in terms of multiplayer. I can’t see that changing on next gen consoles.

TBH I'm not that impressed by neither of them. If a miracle happens and Polyphone launches a GT7 full of content (it really looks like it will be just an upgraded GT Sport) I would buy a ps5 just for it.
Forza looks even less promising.

At the moment I'm not terribly interested in either.

I loved Forza 4 but I hate how 7 was designed so much that I've barely played it in comparison (I get the inkling, then play it a lot for a couple days, then abandon it again), so I'd need answers for what they plan on doing to fix that (assuming it's not "Shuffle everyone who complains off to Horizon instead). I'd naturally lean towards Forza because I'm not planning on buying a console in the near future, but unless Turn 10 truly blow things away with 8 I'm not terribly inclined.

And as far as GT goes, PD haven't shown they can design a game since they patched standing starts out of the already questionable GT5 to make every race into catch the rabbit nonsense. GT6 was so bad, and so much worse, that I dumped it on Craigslist after a month; and only rented it again a year later when I wanted to see if they actually had cashed the checks their mouths had written regarding the course creator (which, lol of course not). PD's going to have to do a lot more than turn on the applause sign after showing that they can recreate the GT4 interface in higher res to get me to commit to the PS5 ecosystem.

Hmm not sure I agree on that. The fundamental part of racing, the actual racing part, is a joke in GTS. Same as its been since GT5, absolutely awful. Forzas far from perfect but at least its actually fun to have a race.

Did you mean the multiplayer or single player? Because the multiplayer racing in GT Sport is way better because there is an actual matchmaking system, actual motorsport elements. Forza 7 doesn’t do those things well.

At the moment I'm not terribly interested in either.

I'd say this is where I'm at as well. I didn't like Forza 7, but I can at least see the merits and the point of the Forza series as it is now that it is on a platform that generally never had a game like it or GT, and I'm not exactly that keen on seeing T10 take the wrong message from a group of people who just want *another* hardcore sim racing game so that they can justify the purchase of their wheels and sim racing set ups, and use it as a beating stick against those who do not have the money, or space, to indulge in such a thing.

However:

And as far as GT goes, PD haven't shown they can design a game since they patched standing starts out of the already questionable GT5 to make every race into catch the rabbit nonsense. GT6 was so bad, and so much worse, that I dumped it on Craigslist after a month; and only rented it again a year later when I wanted to see if they actually had cashed the checks their mouths had written regarding the course creator (which, lol of course not). PD's going to have to do a lot more than turn on the applause sign after showing that they can recreate the GT4 interface in higher res to get me to commit to the PS5 ecosystem.

This is all bang on. The fact of the matter is that I've seen since GT Sport's release, on this forum specifically, that Polyphony can do no wrong, that Sport mode is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and that Kaz is both the second son, and the patron saint of the racing genre. All of these are gross over-estimations, and within GT Sport specifically, all it has done is mask the problems that the GT series as a whole has had since arguably GT4: the single player, AKA the main mode that 90% of people are going to play up to GT Sport, is crap, and follows the very same mould that by this point, has been stale for as long.

Chasing the rabbit scenarios in racing games are not fun. They never were. They're especially not fun when the AI within them have absolutely no give or desire to be anything but a yardstick for the player to pass for an easy win, and the only time they show anything that isn't slavishly sticking to the racing line is binning it with more regularity then is probably needed. That's all GT Sport's laughable single player suite is - continuous chase the rabbit scenarios, and the fact that this was supposed to be the saving grace of the game after Kaz told people to go **** themselves and take an effectively always online game and not complain, is especially hilarious. I don't think there has ever been any actual challenge in a GT game, not especially in any GT game since 5 - really, it's just been making sure that AI are spaced out far enough from you starting at the back of the pack to make it harder for you to just waltz by in your supercar, or world beating GT-R that makes mincemeat of anything thrown at it.

That comes into play with the trailer with GT7 too - aside from the forced and cheap pops of nostalgia for GT4 that you allude to with the single player interface, what was shown that is actually going to get at the root of the problem with the GT series, that the main mode is not fun and not challenging in the slightest, and doesn't even do a good job of preparing people for the online racing made mandatory with GT Sport, considering the game's rampant problems with regards to ramming and dirty driving that is supposed to be alleviated with watching three minutes of moronic good etiquette videos that nobody actually takes anything from? I get that it's early, but these have been problems since GT5 at earliest, and especially came into the fold with the jury rigged single player portion of GT Sport. And yet...the circlejerk of Kaz being a patron saint for adding on a ******, boring single player suite for free persists.

There's only one reason I'm more interested in GT 7 really... VR.

I think this next gen of console will be powerful enough, unlike my base PS 4, and with a new VR kit supposedly in the pipeline it will be time to take the plunge.

Did you mean the multiplayer or single player? Because the multiplayer racing in GT Sport is way better because there is an actual matchmaking system, actual motorsport elements. Forza 7 doesn’t do those things well.

Multiplayer isn't the driving force behind a kain Gran Turismo or Forza entry though. Not everyone plays online and good chunks of the market for the main games won't ever play online. GTS itself is online focussed but looking at the GT7 video its going to heavily single llaywr focussed and the AI in the admittedly short video still look trash.

Didn't they barely make that effort with the very last game that came out?

As it sits I'm not really pulled in either direction - Forza is getting terribly stale and GT, outside of it's photomode didn't have much of a pull on me. I've taken a couple years break from GT in general, but I'm feeling like I might do that with Forza this time around. I'll just have to wait for more info.

'provide deep, interesting racing'

pAA1YIy.jpg

First off, we were shown what amounts to a vertical slice of gameplay in GT7, which means absolutely nothing at this stage of the game. Secondly, 'deep, interesting racing' is AI that never leaves the racing line, bins it more often then not to offer some semblance of randomness, and chase the rabbit scenarios that weren't fun in GT4, and certainly aren't fun now?

There are many aspects I'd say GT is superior to Forza: graphics tech, OST, online gameplay, track design, photomode, car models, atmosphere.

However, the main reason which I suspect most people will say, is simply that PS5 is more desirable than XSX.

Also Forza is so far away. They showed 30FPS (pre-rendered?) in engine feed, while saying its early in dev.

Back