Any tips for me?

Before I begin let me explain a few things.

I've owned GT5P since launch but until recently only used the controller. However these past few days i've started using my G25. Now i've had the G25 for nearly 18months but I didn't use it because I wanted to keep it brand new for GT5.

My question is can you give me any advanced techniques for using the wheel and what are the ideal settings i.e Do you have power steering on or off. Im asking this because I decided to concentrate on just one track using the same car around Suzuka E. I figured the best way of getting used to the wheel is to hotlap on the time trials. However im finding myself way off the pace and what I see on the replays I cannot do myself. For example if I try and match the same speed around the last bend on Suzuka E I understeer off because im going to fast. So how are these people taking the last bend at such speed and yet keep the car on the track. Its almost as though they can steer the car much sharper than I can.

I will add that I do appreciate that im bound to be off the pace at first. As i've only used the wheel for 2 days I sort of understand why im 2.4 secs behind the No1 time. I have been told it takes at least a month to fully get used to the wheel. However in saying this im sure im missing something when I watch the replays and however much practice I put in I wouldn't be able to replicate what they are doing.

Im really looking forward to mastering the wheel and im sure playing many hrs on GT5 will help. However I would appreciate any help if im missing some technique or aren't using the ideal settings in the options menu for the fastest possible lap.

Do a search for Maz's (Synwraith) thread on how he adjusted from pad to wheel... probably the most comprehensive write up on the site.

Most important thing is to learn to use as little steering lock as possible... which means you need to get your entry speed right. Chances are you're braking too late and too heavily and trying to then make the turn... which means you're applying too much lock and then understeering off. You need to learn how much grip the front tyres have... the more you brake and try and turn the less you'll be able to steer. The challenge is to be right on the limit of grip as if you go beyond it you'll likely lose time in most cars.

Personally, it took me about 2 months to get used to the wheel... you just need to persevere and it will gradually come to you.

Settings... When I first got a wheel I used FF on 10 and power steering on. The heavy feedback helped me learn not to use too much steering angle. Now I use FF in the 3-5 range (depending on the car) with no power steering as I find I can apply much finer steering inputs with less feedback.

Also... remember most of the top TT times are now VERY fast. The game's been out a long time and with the limited choice of cars and tracks there aren't many top 10's that haven't been taken over by the really fast guys. Probably not realistic to expect to be anywhere near these guys even when you're used to the wheel unless you're in the top 1% of people who play the game.

Last edited:
Back